Author Topic: The Night Flight Orchestra  (Read 14225 times)

Online Polarbear

Re: The Night Flight Orchestra
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2022, 02:02:45 PM »
I'm so glad that both Soilwork and TNFO carry on, despite the shocking blow of David's passing to both bands.

David was the Primus motor of both bands along with Björn. I'm wondering who is going to step up as a songwriter, to fill David's void in Soilwork and TNFO? Björn is a capable songwriter, but David still wrote majority of the songs for both bands. Maybe Sven and Sylvain can step up as songwriters in Soilwork. Maybe the new keyboardist in TNFO knows how to write a song or two.

It's probably too early to think such things, and I'm sure we'll see in time. Either way, I'm glad that the two bands carry on.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2022, 08:01:04 PM »
It seems they were preparing themselves for that for some time. Don't know for sure, but it seems he was already suffering of some disease that it was consequence of the his alcoholism, really really sad... I didn't know David wasn't already playing live with the band anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEYnru7FBzM

Björn Strid - vocals
Rasmus Ehrnborn - guitar, percussion
Johan Randen - guitar, percussion

Sharlee D’Angelo - bass
John Lönnmyr - keyboards
Jonas Källsbäck - drums
Anna Brygård - backing vocals
Asa Lundmann - backing vocals

I think those guitar players weren't on the studio recordings.

Yeah, I know he hadn't been playing live with Soilwork for a while.  Could never have imaged the real reasons behind it all.   :(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2022, 08:03:34 PM »
I'm so glad that both Soilwork and TNFO carry on, despite the shocking blow of David's passing to both bands.

David was the Primus motor of both bands along with Björn. I'm wondering who is going to step up as a songwriter, to fill David's void in Soilwork and TNFO? Björn is a capable songwriter, but David still wrote majority of the songs for both bands. Maybe Sven and Sylvain can step up as songwriters in Soilwork. Maybe the new keyboardist in TNFO knows how to write a song or two.

It's probably too early to think such things, and I'm sure we'll see in time. Either way, I'm glad that the two bands carry on.

I love Sylvain, just something about it, but it's sad he's basically become a staple live member of the band as opposed to studio.  Not sure if it was a conscious choice for his lack of input or if David just really had full control over everything with Bjorn but it will be interesting where Soilwork go now.  Would love him to step up.  I wonder what Peter Wichers is doing?

Online Polarbear

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »

I love Sylvain, just something about it, but it's sad he's basically become a staple live member of the band as opposed to studio.  Not sure if it was a conscious choice for his lack of input or if David just really had full control over everything with Bjorn but it will be interesting where Soilwork go now.  Would love him to step up.  I wonder what Peter Wichers is doing?

Peter Wichers is living the family life in United States, unless i'm mistaken. If I remember correctly, that was the reason he left.

It has been nothing but Soilwork and TNFO in the playlist, for me this week! I have been combing through David's body of work. He was such a creative songwriter! Songs like "Transmissions" and "Turn to Miami" for TNFO and "Feverish" and "Petrichor By Sulfur" for Soilwork to name just a few.

Not to mention "A Whisp Of The Atlantic" which could be his magnum opus IMO.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #179 on: November 10, 2022, 06:19:52 PM »
Just back from the NFO in London. Magnificent and simply joy-on-tap to behold. I've been at all the London dates they've done so far and they've been up there with the best gigs I've seen every time. Bjorn was the best I've seen him.

The guy who filled in for David was incredibly close. Sharlee wasn't with them tonight but the bass player they had couldn't have been more fun to watch. So into it and a fantastic player.

They dedicated Something Mysterious to David and you could Bjorn was clearly very emotional at a few points.

Be interesting to see what they do next. But in the meantime, catch them if you can.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: November 10, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »
Wow, Bjorn is a busy man.  I saw him with Soilwork here in Australia 6 days ago!!!  :eek

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2022, 12:14:51 AM »
Ha! Blimey. He gets about, eh?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2022, 03:43:02 AM »
 :lol  It's damn impressive,  and I agree mate,.his vocals were bloody amazing.  Great front man.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2022, 05:58:19 AM »
Nice. Legend. :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2022, 07:44:13 AM »
catch them if you can.

I'd really love to

Wow, Bjorn is a busy man.  I saw him with Soilwork here in Australia 6 days ago!!!  :eek

:lol damn

Online Polarbear

« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2023, 11:30:15 PM »
https://youtu.be/znojPajpxg0

First new music from TNFO since David's passing! "The Sensation".

Song is also a tribute to David.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2023, 08:31:17 AM »
Solid NFO track.  :tup

I prefer this to most of Aeromantic II. Delighted they've made a strong new start. Love these guys.