Author Topic: The Night Flight Orchestra  (Read 14230 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: The Night Flight Orchestra
« Reply #140 on: September 03, 2021, 03:41:14 PM »
More great stuff from NFO! I love the keyboards. Not sure it'll quite reach the heights of the last few albums, but still great. Early days yet though.  :tup
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2021, 03:59:25 AM »
A couple more listens in and this is hotting up. It really is a more pop album but such great catchy tunes. The new keyboard player is all sorts of tasty.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »
Just listened to the album for the first time. These guys don't disappoint.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2021, 12:43:05 AM »
Immediate reaction has cooled for me on this one. White Jeans stands out as the only track as fun and great as the last 3 records. And the closing track is cool. The rest is ... satisfactory.

I dunno quite what it is. The keyboard player is great. Nothing sucks, it's just a bit ... OK. It doesn't have the sparkle and joy of the last few. It might be the lyrics. Bit disappointed.

White Jeans is superb though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2021, 04:32:46 AM »
Immediate reaction has cooled for me on this one. White Jeans stands out as the only track as fun and great as the last 3 records. And the closing track is cool. The rest is ... satisfactory.

I dunno quite what it is. The keyboard player is great. Nothing sucks, it's just a bit ... OK. It doesn't have the sparkle and joy of the last few. It might be the lyrics. Bit disappointed.

White Jeans is superb though.

I'm over these guys truthfully.  Come to that conclusion on the last one.  Haven't checked this new one yet.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #145 on: September 18, 2021, 06:48:49 AM »
I feel the same way.  Just more of the same shtick.  The new album is incredibly boring.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2021, 07:47:29 AM »
I've been listening to this more than the new Iron Maiden. Such a fun band. Album is awesome IMO. Catchy songs.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #147 on: September 18, 2021, 09:17:49 AM »
I have to say i'm a fan but the last 2 aeromantic albums have really disappointed me.  I don't like this 80's synth pop direction they've gone.  i like 80's synthpop but not on this band for some reason.  i wish they'd stayed in the harder rock boston/heart/70's toto-ish vibe of the first 2 a little longer.  they went 80's pop too fast and lost me just as fast.

bland boring stuff sadly

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2021, 04:31:56 AM »
I feel the same way.  Just more of the same shtick.  The new album is incredibly boring.

The first few albums had their own personalities and originality.  Now they've just turned into almost a Frontiers like project producing the same style over and over without any real substance or creativity.  Rehashing the same stuff without much thought it seems.

After the last Soilwork EP, I think this is where they need to focus their energy more full time.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
I'm enjoying Zodiac on this album also now, so those last three tracks are working but overall, it's not their best.

Still love the band to pieces. Amazing fun and even more so live. They've been one of my top bands since I discovered Amber Galactic.

The Soilwork comparison is unavoidable and funny how we feel it so differently. :) I can see there's lots of high quality performances in Soilwork but it doesn't generate any emotional response in me. Not my flavour of metal. NFO, however, have a groove and joyful vibe I can't get anywhere else. That formula of classic rock, disco and pop, pushed through the tight performances of Swedish metal players makes me smile, sing, rock and boogie!  :biggrin:

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2021, 12:15:54 PM »
I have to agree that Aeromantic 2 is not their best work..

There is a bunch of songs that I love, and some that I could skip outright. Aeromantic 1 is my favorite album of their's, and this does not reach the high's of that album.

Change, Burn for Me, White Jeans and Amber Through a Window are all awesome! I could do without the likes of Chardonnay Nights and Violent Indigo.

Still love the band, and TNFO music always manages to bring me to good mood! :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2021, 02:25:37 PM »
I really like the Aeromantic album also, but not a fan of the title so thought it was weird that they re-used it with a "II" on the end. I wonder what the decision process behind that was. Seems a bit emblematic of the half-assed nature of the album now.

I like those tracks you mentioned well enough (love White Jeans). Other thoughts:

Violent Indigo is a very flat opener. Like they forgot to add a decent vocal hook. Midnight Marvelous is horrible. Hard to listen to. My least favourite track of their's, potentially. Weird.

Still, onwards and upwards. It might grow on me yet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2021, 02:42:44 PM »
I don't understand the II part either.  I don't hear any relation to the first Aeromantic.  In fact this album sounds quite different to me.  Much more pop and less rock. 

Change, Burn for Me, White Jeans and Amber Through a Window are all awesome! I could do without the likes of Chardonnay Nights and Violent Indigo.

Still love the band, and TNFO music always manages to bring me to good mood! :metal

Basically agree with all of the above.  Amber Through A Window has been getting me going lately. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2021, 03:56:30 PM »
I'll spin that one while I work in the morning. I keep going back to single tracks for some reason.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »
I really like the Aeromantic album also, but not a fan of the title so thought it was weird that they re-used it with a "II" on the end. I wonder what the decision process behind that was. Seems a bit emblematic of the half-assed nature of the album now.

I like those tracks you mentioned well enough (love White Jeans). Other thoughts:

Violent Indigo is a very flat opener. Like they forgot to add a decent vocal hook. Midnight Marvelous is horrible. Hard to listen to. My least favourite track of their's, potentially. Weird.

Still, onwards and upwards. It might grow on me yet.

I really like the album a lot, but maybe it's their "worst", just because the run since the first album is almost perfect in my book. In terms of style, I think the balance they achieved on Skyline Whispers and Amber Galactic was magnificent - it's my favorite phase. But, I think the biggest problem of this album is to begin with the 2 weakest songs of it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2021, 07:17:15 PM »
I kind of like Midnight Marvelous, but Violent Indigo is definitely one of my least, if not the least, favorite songs on the album and maybe of all the songs Ive heard of them.  It's really a stinker for an opener for sure.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2021, 12:07:36 AM »
Midnight Marvelous is amazing, you guys are crazy.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2021, 12:27:39 AM »
Great to hear the love for these guys and different opinions on the record. :) I couldn't stand Speedwagon for a long time so, you know, feelings often change.

I hope they can manage to play here in the UK again. I mean to invite absolutely everyone I know.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #158 on: July 29, 2022, 07:22:35 AM »
New song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSJIwhU48sM
A bit more guitar oriented, but I always love their songs anyway! They didn't said if it's just a single or a new album.
In fact, I really love all their albums, but, if it was my choice, I would keep their style closer to the Skyline Whispers/Amber Galactic albums, which were pure perfection IMO!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:36:18 AM by devieira73 »

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »
Yeah, caught up with the new song! Pretty good!

Even if the last album was a bit of a letdown, I still can't get enough of TNFO! :metal A lot of their music is very samey, but whatever song I listen to, I always end up in a good mood!

They are a guilty pleasure of mine, and I'm glad that I discovered them!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2022, 12:49:07 PM »
NFO can do no wrong in my eyes, I like the new song.  I couldn't say no to another album, but I'd be shocked if they have another release up their sleaves so quickly.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »
I dig it. Hoping the next album has a bit more "conviction" (for want of a better term) than the last one. Love the band to pieces.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2022, 02:45:12 PM »
this band should do a tour with Cats in Space and Church of the Cosmic Skull

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2022, 03:48:31 PM »
Hmmm...I haven't cared for this band on the last couple.  This song kind of reminds me of their roots though....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: September 15, 2022, 12:27:37 PM »
Soilwork shared this devastating news yesterday

David was guitarist and I think the biggest song writer for NFO.  Very tragic and sad news.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2022, 02:30:15 PM »
Although Björn write a lot of top notch songs on TNFO, David's wrote a lot more and was the main creative force on TNFO. I think the songwriting on TNFO is truly amazing, but it always stayed just one step closer to seem just like a generic tribute to the 70's and 80's rock bands and I also think that David's incredible skills as a songwriter really helped a lot to give high quality and integrity to TNFO's sound. I don't know, it's hard to imagine TNFO with the same consistency without him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 04:55:04 PM by devieira73 »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2022, 03:19:50 PM »
In both bands David was the real driving force.  He was in NFO from the start so I'm not sure if I see them continuing, but who knows.  Soilwork he became the main guy and really brought new life and brought the band into a new era.  Speed's songwriting certainly has improved, but I wouldn't be surprised if NFO stopped and he focused on Soilwork.  Soilwork did exist before David, but NFO didn't.  I don't know, the whole thing is tragic.  This one is hitting me hard for some reason. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
Oh, God. This is awful news. Fantastic player and writer.

When we saw them on their first UK date, he was all cool, Nordic composure. Then Sharlee went for a cheesy rock dash across the stage in his white suit and slipped over flat on his arse, and David's cool obvs exploded into absolute delight and mirth.  :lol

Absolutely love NFO. Gutted. Sleep easy, David.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2022, 05:34:34 PM »
In both bands David was the real driving force.  He was in NFO from the start so I'm not sure if I see them continuing, but who knows.  Soilwork he became the main guy and really brought new life and brought the band into a new era.  Speed's songwriting certainly has improved, but I wouldn't be surprised if NFO stopped and he focused on Soilwork.  Soilwork did exist before David, but NFO didn't.  I don't know, the whole thing is tragic.  This one is hitting me hard for some reason.

I've always wanted to get into Soilwork, for a couple reasons (I've liked all the songs I've sampled before and I love Bjorn's voice from NFO), but never really deep dived and honestly never really took a good look into who is in NFO or who's the creative force.  When I read the news yesterday, I googled credits and saw David listed as the writer for much of their music.  It really hit hard at that moment for me too.  I'm not sure how NFO can continue either. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »

I've always wanted to get into Soilwork, for a couple reasons (I've liked all the songs I've sampled before and I love Bjorn's voice from NFO), but never really deep dived and honestly never really took a good look into who is in NFO or who's the creative force.  When I read the news yesterday, I googled credits and saw David listed as the writer for much of their music.  It really hit hard at that moment for me too.  I'm not sure how NFO can continue either.

NFO is Bjorn and David.  Soilwork for the last ten is is literally those two also.  Check the latest album Overgivenheten, it's probably the best starting point given it has its lighter moments as opposed to the old stuff.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #170 on: September 16, 2022, 05:38:50 AM »
From TNFO Facebook:

The Legacy continues…

September 14th, in the year of 2022 will be a date that none of us will ever forget. Our guitarist David Andersson shut his eyes forever. It was the day we’ve all dreaded for quite sometime. Our hearts are grieving. As Björn went to visit David for the last time at the hospital, he gave him the blessing to continue the musical journey that they both embarked on some 12 years ago. Despite David’s fairly long absence from the band as a touring member, we’ve had an amazing and busy summer with unforgettable shows. However, there’s one thing we haven’t done in a long time: playing club shows. We can’t see a better way to celebrate David’s life and music, than to embark on this mini European tour in November, that we’ve been planning for quite a while. We encourage you to join us in this celebration and dance the night away. This winged and nocturnal journey must continue. In David’s honor, we’ve also named the tour “Death to false AOR”. He would’ve loved that - cause if there’s one thing he loathed, it was false and non organic AOR.

/The Night Flight Orchestra

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 16, 2022, 05:46:09 AM »
Wow!  That's some statement.  Interesting the band will carry on.  Good for them. 

I wonder the exact situation about his decline in health.  That must have been some heart breaking visit for Bjorn.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2022, 06:19:10 AM »
It seems they were preparing themselves for that for some time. Don't know for sure, but it seems he was already suffering of some disease that it was consequence of the his alcoholism, really really sad... I didn't know David wasn't already playing live with the band anymore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEYnru7FBzM

Björn Strid - vocals
Rasmus Ehrnborn - guitar, percussion
Johan Randen - guitar, percussion

Sharlee D’Angelo - bass
John Lönnmyr - keyboards
Jonas Källsbäck - drums
Anna Brygård - backing vocals
Asa Lundmann - backing vocals

I think those guitar players weren't on the studio recordings.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: September 16, 2022, 07:58:58 AM »
Interesting.  Good for the band to continue on, but still such a weird and sad situation.  I also didn't know he wasn't playing live with the band.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #174 on: September 16, 2022, 09:38:56 AM »
I wonder what was happening with David over this period... So sad.

I think the guitarist in the front has played with them before. They had a second guitarist on at least one of the times I've seen them, and I'm almost certain he was playing one of those vintage-looking, double-cut Ibanez axes.