Author Topic: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?  (Read 12489 times)

Offline pretorios

Re: What's DT's next lineup change, and why?
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
Mangini wouldn't surprise me. He seems to view his role as more of a gig than a career. That could change, however, if they start to engage him more in the studio.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2017, 04:03:43 PM »
Mangini has already had one hell of a career.  Being the drummer for DT could be considered a career in itself.  I really hope he stays with the band.  I don't think any of the other members would be anxious to see him go.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
Mangini has already had one hell of a career.  Being the drummer for DT could be considered a career in itself.  I really hope he stays with the band.  I don't think any of the other members would be anxious to see him go.

I agree, and he seems to really enjoy to be in the band, to meet new people and travel to new places with DT. Also, he's the drummer for the JP solo band too, and, according to a facebook post by Dave LaRue, they might be doing some touring soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
I think Jordan and MM will leave amicably and Kevin Moore and MP will return and make Images and Words 2 : More Images and a Few More Words
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I think Jordan and MM will leave amicably and Kevin Moore and MP will return and make Images and Words 2 : More Images and a Few More Words

I assume that was supposed to make me chuckle . . .    The chances that KM would do anything remotely like that are less than zero percent
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
I've wondered for quite a while why John Myung doesn't have a very serious case of tendinitis or Carpal Tunnel.       I am glad he had never had to take time off or leave.   Great player and great dude.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2017, 11:44:18 AM »
Since WDADU, DT's average is 1 lineup change per 7 years. Mangini joined in 2011.  :corn That means nothing.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
If I remember correctly, there was an interview with JLB during the DT12 era and he talked about being frustrated that he wasn't more involved with lyrics and writing a song and apparently had one that he was interested in taking, but JP ended up writing the lyric. He said that he wouldn't let that happen again and then...well... The Astonishing..

I thought LaBrie would write more lyrics after Portnoy left. I've always wondered if LaBrie wasn't interested in writing or if the other band members were holding him back.

I could see Mangini leaving if he's not given the opportunity to seriously contribute to writing. If the band continues on into their 60s & even their 70s I really don't see how LaBrie will be able to continue...unless they stick with downtuning even lower than they are now & seriously reworking some of the older vocal melodies.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2017, 08:51:27 PM »
.............I also think Mangini will be next. That interview he did saying he wasn't happy not being included in the writing is telling. If it happens again, I wouldn't be surprised if he said adios, and I wouldn't blame him...........

Would it be possible to have a link to THAT interview?

Oh and by the way I really like Mike Mangini's playing on the last three albums!!!  I really hope he stays with the band!!

Tx

Offline jammindude

« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2017, 09:21:53 PM »
I think that if Mangini left (and he could) that would really be the end of Dream Theater.   One of the main reasons I feel that way, is because Mangini leaving would almost definitely lead to MP coming back....but it would be a complete disaster. 

Fact:   MP was (along with JP) the co-leader of the band.

Do you really think that MP will be given that same level of power and control within the band when he does return?  I would say two things.  1) No freaking way does JP give 50% of the power back to MP and 2) NOT having the level of control he once did would stick in MP's craw like raspberry seed stuck in a denture.   

And I'll add one more thing.   The relationship between JLB and MP would be a sticking point.   Before the split, MP was the co-leader.  What he and JP decided on, was the way that things went.   JLB had to go along with it.    I think JLB breathed a big sigh of relief when MP left, and I'm not sure he would super excited to bring MP back.    In fact, I'd be willing to conjecture that if MP did return, JLB would choose that time to "retire from DT under amicable terms" and maybe put more emphasis on his solo work and side projects. 

TLDR version: the power dynamic has shifted so much since MPs return, that it can't go back to the way it was, and all the relationships would sour as a result. 

Now.  On the flip side of that.   There is one possible positive outcome.    As much as I have ALWAYS loved JLB, and felt that he was *the* voice of Dream Theater, I think we all admit that his voice is not what it once was, and that Dream Theater is a very demanding job.    I think there is the slight possibility that everything that I just said happens (MP's return leads to JLB's departure) and the band find a young stud who can sing the old songs and breathes new life into the band.   Someone with whom *everyone* gets along with, and the youthful energy re-invigorates the machine.  But it's a very slim possibility.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2017, 09:35:48 PM »
I think that if Mangini left (and he could) that would really be the end of Dream Theater.   One of the main reasons I feel that way, is because Mangini leaving would almost definitely lead to MP coming back....but it would be a complete disaster. 

Fact:   MP was (along with JP) the co-leader of the band.

Do you really think that MP will be given that same level of power and control within the band when he does return?  I would say two things.  1) No freaking way does JP give 50% of the power back to MP and 2) NOT having the level of control he once did would stick in MP's craw like raspberry seed stuck in a denture.   

And I'll add one more thing.   The relationship between JLB and MP would be a sticking point.   Before the split, MP was the co-leader.  What he and JP decided on, was the way that things went.   JLB had to go along with it.    I think JLB breathed a big sigh of relief when MP left, and I'm not sure he would super excited to bring MP back.    In fact, I'd be willing to conjecture that if MP did return, JLB would choose that time to "retire from DT under amicable terms" and maybe put more emphasis on his solo work and side projects. 

TLDR version: the power dynamic has shifted so much since MPs return, that it can't go back to the way it was, and all the relationships would sour as a result. 

Now.  On the flip side of that.   There is one possible positive outcome.    As much as I have ALWAYS loved JLB, and felt that he was *the* voice of Dream Theater, I think we all admit that his voice is not what it once was, and that Dream Theater is a very demanding job.    I think there is the slight possibility that everything that I just said happens (MP's return leads to JLB's departure) and the band find a young stud who can sing the old songs and breathes new life into the band.   Someone with whom *everyone* gets along with, and the youthful energy re-invigorates the machine.  But it's a very slim possibility.

I agree with most of this.

I would be disappointed if they ever let Portnoy back in the band.  After all of the cheap shots and digs he has taken at them over the last 7 years, he doesn't deserve to be back in the band.  The level of class in the band has never been higher than it is now.  No need to knock it down a few pegs.

As for JLB, from the footage I have seen this year, he is pretty rough live now, but he was fine when I saw them a year ago on the Astonishing tour, so I think maybe it's time to do with him what Rush did, which is simply avoid certain songs he cannot sing well live anymore.  Sadly, that will eliminate quite a few fan favorites, including a lot of the I&W material, but it is what it is.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
As for JLB, from the footage I have seen this year, he is pretty rough live now, but he was fine when I saw them a year ago on the Astonishing tour, so I think maybe it's time to do with him what Rush did, which is simply avoid certain songs he cannot sing well live anymore.  Sadly, that will eliminate quite a few fan favorites, including a lot of the I&W material, but it is what it is.

That's the easiest/wisest thing to do. Not playing a few of these songs wouldn't be too much of a big deal, considering DT has 13 studio albums + a few other songs to choose from for their sets. However, I wouldn't mind them replacing James with another singer who's able to sing all their catalog. Am I the only one who thinks Fabio Lione would be a great fit for DT?  :metal

About a posible MP reunion... not gonna happen.
I don't think Mangini is considering to leave anytime soon, he's very excited about writing material for the next DT album and seems to be enjoying his job so far (he does it flawlessly, imo); but if he ever wanted to leave, I don't think it would be the end of DT. If they managed to carry on without their 25 year drummer, it shouldn't be too difficult for them to find someone else who's willing to step in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2017, 04:39:28 AM »
I really hope Mangini doesn't leave (he's a hell of an awesome guy) but even if he does, i don't see them inviting Portnoy back.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:44 AM »
It's not a given that if Mangini leaves, they go back to Mike.

And if they want to, it's not a given also that the personal relationships between them have to stay the way they are now. MP and James can sit down and talk it out.

Under these two conditions - Mangini leaving of his own free will, and Mike sincerely patching it up with James and also Myung if they're at oods also - I'd welcome MP back in DT, otherwise I'd rather have this line-up, or yet another drummer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2017, 08:52:56 AM »
Imagine what would happen if Mangini decided at the end of this year's tour that he wanted to leave the band, and the band decided to ask Portnoy back (with the caveat that he make things right with LaBrie).  Would Portnoy throw Sons of Apollo to the side to return to Dream Theater?  Can you imagine how much rage Sherinian would be filled with?? :lol :lol

Offline Dreammajesty

• mp.com refugee
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
i think in an blink of an eye he would return to DT and let the guys in SOA  fall.
But i hope it doesn't happen and DT stays the way it is now.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2017, 05:06:31 PM »
I think this is the definitive line-up until they decide to call it quits.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2017, 02:30:14 PM »
Imagine what would happen if Mangini decided at the end of this year's tour that he wanted to leave the band, and the band decided to ask Portnoy back (with the caveat that he make things right with LaBrie).  Would Portnoy throw Sons of Apollo to the side to return to Dream Theater?  Can you imagine how much rage Sherinian would be filled with?? :lol :lol

:lol  That would seem like a no win situation for a lot of people.  Interesting thought nonetheless.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2017, 04:25:33 PM »
IF (and that's a big IF) there is another lineup change, I would approach it in these ways.

Fan perspective: JLB out. I love the guy's voice but it's just shot now. Having to tune down songs live makes the songs crappy and still LaBrie has been having a lot of difficulty on this current tour. It makes me sad as a fan listening to A Change Of Seasons live tuned down as much as it is and JLB is all over the place. You can tell he's frustrated too. That's the bad part about singing. There will come a time when your voice goes. Solution: pull a Journey or a Queensryche and get a sound-a-like.

Band perspective 1: JR out. Age plus wear and tear from touring. Touring is not like traveling. It's not a vacation. He's 60 now and I'd give him 5 more years tops of touring before he calls it quits. Solution? Who knows? Michael Pinnella (Symphony X isn't doing much these days), Jens Johansson (they considered him after Moore left the band)? There's a host of keyboardists but who can gel with DT?

Band perspective 2: MM out. All musicians desire to exhibit their personal creativity. I feel DT holds him back. Sure, great player. But as a full time member and not a hired gun, when will he get frustrated to the point of going back to Berklee or doing something else musically where he has more input? No way MP returns. He burnt that bridge. There are capable drummers out there, but who would want to walk in and try to fill MP's and MM's shoes? If MM leaves, I suppose they'd get a session guy who can play all the parts live and can do what JP wants in the studio.

Shocker: JMX out. He feels he doesn't have a say. :lol Kidding. He leaves for personal reasons. Doesn't say much as to why but it has to do with his life. No problems with the band. I'd be surprised if he left. He and JP do very well together.

Not gonna happen: JP out. He is the epicenter of DT. If he calls it quits then the band is over.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2017, 01:08:27 AM »
While I understand the concerns for Jordan's age, when did he ever even hinted at tour fatigue? from interviews with Iron Maiden, for example, you see them ackwnoledge their "mortality", I've recently read a quote from Nicko McBrain saying "Do you see me playing Run to the Hills at 70 years old?"

I can't remember anything from that like Jordan, ever. He seems passionate as always, and in later years he could tone down the 10000 notes per second and even sit down while playing. Maybe he just hides it very well, but I can't see him all of a sudden go "I'm too old for this".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2017, 03:52:00 AM »
Having to tune down songs live makes the songs crappy.

Well, no.  To be honest, tuning down ACOS and Metropolis sound heavier. Agreed that JLB struggles but that's one to be expected for the I&W set.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2017, 04:16:30 AM »
I actually didn't even notice the half step down. My buddy that was with me, a bass player, had to tell me.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
Having to tune down songs live makes the songs crappy.

Well, no.  To be honest, tuning down ACOS and Metropolis sound heavier. Agreed that JLB struggles but that's one to be expected for the I&W set.

I guess it's to my tase. "Crappy" wasn't the best way to describe it. I didn't care for the tuning down. I think the song lost some of it's energy when it got tuned down.

The worst down tuned music going on is Ozzy Osbourne's recent shows with Zakk Wylde. Every song is tuned down not just a half step, but more. Ozzy sounds terrible and the songs sound messed up like something is not right. I digress.

JLB has struggled for a while. I hate it for him.

Offline Evai

« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »
I wonder if all performances from now on will be 1/2 step down. Or if it's just because they're playing I&W
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
I wonder if all performances from now on will be 1/2 step down. Or if it's just because they're playing I&W
Every song in the current show that's not from the I&W era is tuned normally, not half step down, so that's kinda telling that for now.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2017, 12:28:03 PM »

I'm thinking its just this tour because those songs are taxing on James' voice. If they decide to play those songs again on future tours, its likely they'll be in regular tuning.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »

I'm thinking its just this tour because those songs are taxing on James' voice. If they decide to play those songs again on future tours, its likely they'll be in regular tuning.

My guess is that most IAW songs won't be played in a looooong time, and some might not be played again, because of this exactly, and also because that would be inmediately after a dedicated tour for that album.
Just like it happened after the ADTOE tour, in which they played a lot of IAW songs; for the next tour, they played nothing from IAW.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2017, 01:25:53 PM »
I feel like some I&W song has been played on every tour. Am I wrong?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2017, 01:31:23 PM »
I feel like some I&W song has been played on every tour. Am I wrong?

Not on the AFTR tour, even though they played PMU on some festivals in 2014.

But, other than that, you're right, they even played Metropolis on the WDADU tour  :o

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
^Yup the AFTR tour had no I&W songs except PMU a couple times on one offs. And obviously the TA tour before they added the non-TA encore songs.