Author Topic: The Official Dunkirk Movie Thread  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
The Official Dunkirk Movie Thread
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
I did a search and didn't see anything on Dunkirk. Being a Nolan fanboy, I'm pretty pumped for this one. I wasn't familiar with the history, so I looked it up, and it is a fascinating story.

Picked up IMAX tickets for Friday, July 21 in IMAX. Anyone else really looking forward to this one/have tickets?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Official Dunkirk Movie Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
I love that it's based off of real life.   I am a fanboy as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:24:02 PM »
jingle.son and I are so going to see this opening weekend.  Gotta see if there are any 70mm showings around here.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
Excited about this as a Nolan fan and a tad worried for accuracy as a history buff.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »
I'm so jazzed that Nolan is doing a history piece. I'll definitely be there opening day, and for the 70MM showing!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
I hope it's good. I wasn't a fan of the last few Nolan movies.

I think he does well when he puts the emphasis on character, and less on complicated plots. This looks like it'll be character driven and not crazy plot driven, which I think works well for him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »
Really looking forward to it, but I'm a bit worried about it being PG-13.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »
One of the things I found interesting is the length of the film. It's only 105 minutes, which for Nolan, is pretty short. I don't have the quote handy, so I can only paraphrase, but someone asked him about it, and he said that he wanted the film to really have people on the edge of their seats with suspense...but that can only happen for so long before the audience tires of it. So it's short on purpose.

It looks like we'll get a few different narratives weaving in and out, which probably will drive it pretty good. As for the PG-13 rating, I'm just going to assume there isn't a lot of blood and guts. Just a lot of character-based suspense and action. That's fine with me. If you make a movie right, you don't necessarily need blood, guts, cursing and language to drive the point home. Nolan is a stickler for details, so I am just going in with an open mind and see where it goes.

But shit, I took the afternoon off for this on the 21st, and I barely needed two hours!  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Very much looking forward to seeing this in a couple weeks.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
I hadn't been looking forward to this very much, as I've found that Nolan's more recent works tend to spell things out to the audience too much via exposition. Interstellar really lost some points for me in repeated viewings because of that habit from Nolan.

However between the tighter running time and the reports that there is far less dialogue in Dunkirk than usual from Nolan, I'm pretty excited now to see it. When he's focused, Nolan is fantastic at his craft. I'm very eager to see this and on as big a screen as I can possibly find.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
I'm also excited about that, and will probably catch it in theaters sometime during the next week.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:29:29 AM »
Looking forward to it. I've stayed spoiler-free, but I saw the trailer attached to Spider Man, and it looks really good.

I'm interested to see what kind of spin Nolan puts on it.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:39:15 PM »
Reviews are really positive so far. That makes me happy. Can't wait to see it.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 01:51:38 AM »
I went to see it last night with some friends. I liked it a lot! It wasn't your typical blockbuster war movie, which was one of the things I really liked about it. There are 3 main story threads, each spanning a different period of time - 1 week, 1 day and 1 hour. They all converge at the end, but at times it took a bit of mental processing to keep on top of what was going on.

The acting was good, and even Harry Styles from One Direction was ok. He had more lines of dialogue than I was expecting, but was pretty inoffensive. Tom Hardy was very good, and I loved the spitfire dogfighting scenes, but you only get to see his whole face for a brief time. It reminded me very much of when he played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises - most of the acting is done through the voice and the eyes.

Seeing how Christopher Nolan likes to reuse actors, I was half expecting Michael Caine to make an appearance, but not this time..

One thing I noticed is that it is surprisingly blood-less, for a war movie. Nowhere near the amount of gore of, say, Saving Private Ryan.

The other thing I noticed is that you never get to see the enemy. At least, not up close. You never get to see the face of an enemy soldier. This story is very much about the soldiers stranded on the beach, and the civilians coming to bring them home.

Anyone else watched it yet?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
I went to see it last night with some friends. I liked it a lot! It wasn't your typical blockbuster war movie, which was one of the things I really liked about it. There are 3 main story threads, each spanning a different period of time - 1 week, 1 day and 1 hour. They all converge at the end, but at times it took a bit of mental processing to keep on top of what was going on.

The acting was good, and even Harry Styles from One Direction was ok. He had more lines of dialogue than I was expecting, but was pretty inoffensive. Tom Hardy was very good, and I loved the spitfire dogfighting scenes, but you only get to see his whole face for a brief time. It reminded me very much of when he played Bane in The Dark Knight Rises - most of the acting is done through the voice and the eyes.

Seeing how Christopher Nolan likes to reuse actors, I was half expecting Michael Caine to make an appearance, but not this time..

One thing I noticed is that it is surprisingly blood-less, for a war movie. Nowhere near the amount of gore of, say, Saving Private Ryan.

The other thing I noticed is that you never get to see the enemy. At least, not up close. You never get to see the face of an enemy soldier. This story is very much about the soldiers stranded on the beach, and the civilians coming to bring them home.

Anyone else watched it yet?

Saw this yesterday. Really enjoyed it. The sound of this film was amazing! I found the way the story unfolds to be slightly confusing and I want to watch it again to catch everything. It was intense from beginning to end and deserves the praise it has received.

Also, Michael Caine was in the film, you just don't see him. He was on the other end of the radio talking to the pilots.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
Also, Michael Caine was in the film, you just don't see him. He was on the other end of the radio talking to the pilots.

No way! Didn't know that!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »

No way! Didn't know that!

I missed that too! I saw it in IMAX (incredible). When I get it on blu-ray, I'll keep my ears open for that.

I loved the film, the time-hopping threw me at first, and then I caught on and was fine. I thought Nolan did a wonderful job with his goal of making a shorter film that was driven by the action, as opposed to dialogue. It worked for me. I'm an unashamed Nolan fanboy for sure, but I think Dunkirk was outstanding. I picked up Hans Zimmer's score too. Good stuff for those that enjoy that music.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
Yeah, the music added a ton to the overall feel of the movie.  I'll be stunned if Zimmer doesn't win an Oscar for it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 11:40:01 AM »
I agree about the music. There was a part that sounded very much like Nimrod by Elgar. Very stirring, and I'm sure this was fully intentional.

Also the part with the beached trawler and "target practice" was very tense. The music added a lot to this.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 04:57:29 AM »
Finally saw this and it was a very unique way of telling a WWII story through film. I think there was only one scene with blood and as Logain mentioned above, no German faces except for the blurred out soldiers at the end....crazy. I thought this movie was great!! I agree that the music added a lot to the actual scenes as some of the scenes would not have been as intense without it. As a composer, I think what made the music was the simple repetitive phrasing altered by only the ebbs and flows of the volume and instrumentation used. Man, that was very well done.

Thanks for the info on Michael Caine, I had no idea either.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »
Finally saw the movie. I liked it, not the usual blockbuster war movie which I enjoyed. I loved the dogfighting scenes, i'm guessing that Bruce Dickinson seen the movie.  :laugh:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
I really enjoyed it too, and was impressed how it was able to be suspenseful for the entire duration.  Not the typical 3 act story at all.  I am looking forward to seeing it at home, but it's probably the only movie I felt was important to have seen in a theater.  Home viewing will probably be be lacking.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
Huh I literally just finished this, and haven't' had much time to process it. Very entertaining. Not the movie I thought it would be, or maybe even the movie I wanted to see. I wanted to know more about the whole story of Dunkirk, since I am woefully ignorant of it, But I get that wasn't what this movie was about. It was focused on telling a specific portion of the story, and did it well. It was well-crafted, well-portrayed, and well-paced.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 10:44:40 AM »
I saw this on a cross-country flight a couple weeks ago.  My usual philosophy of movies on planes is that they're about 50% better than they otherwise would be.  However, and while I'm sure this particular movie lost a lot being on a tiny screen and hearing through generic earphones, I was a little disappointed.  The plot line that focused on the soldiers on the beach seemed awfully dull and generic.  The aerial footage was good, but there wasn't much substance there.  I liked the plot involving the father and son and the other kid who came across on their personal boat, but the movie overall was barely satisfying enough to keep me entertained on a plane.  The lack of dialog made the movie a little dull and was also distracting.  Maybe if it goes back into the theaters again after the Academy awards I'll try again.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2018, 07:06:19 AM »
I watched this last night and I honestly struggled to get through it. The pacing seemed so off to me. I actually turned my gaming controlled to turn the movie off, but I only stuck with it because I had less than 20 minutes left. The only part I really liked was the ending on the train. Am I missing something with this?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12:15 AM »
I watched this last night and I honestly struggled to get through it. The pacing seemed so off to me. I actually turned my gaming controlled to turn the movie off, but I only stuck with it because I had less than 20 minutes left. The only part I really liked was the ending on the train. Am I missing something with this?

Well, the three different timelines can be confusing. It came out written on the screen and still it took me almost half the movie to figure out we were jumping back and forth from three stories that were happening in an hour, in a day and in a week.

Not at all a bad movie and at least it's not 53 hours long, but it's difficult to watch and to follow.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »

Well, the three different timelines can be confusing. It came out written on the screen and still it took me almost half the movie to figure out we were jumping back and forth from three stories that were happening in an hour, in a day and in a week.

Not at all a bad movie and at least it's not 53 hours long, but it's difficult to watch and to follow.

Ohhhh... I guess that kind of makes a little more sense then. I got that it was three stories, the different lengths of time went completely over my head.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

Ohhhh... I guess that kind of makes a little more sense then. I got that it was three stories, the different lengths of time went completely over my head.

I'm confused.  What does "it came out written on the screen" mean?  It didn't seem to me that there were three significantly different timelines, but maybe it went over my head also.  Chino, it sounds like your reaction was similar to mine.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Adami

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 10:32:59 AM »
It was literally written on the screen that it took place over an hour, a day and a week.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 10:39:18 AM »
It was literally written on the screen that it took place over an hour, a day and a week.

Oh...ok.  As my earlier comment indicates, I saw the movie on a tiny screen on an airplane, so I must have missed that.  I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it more knowing that....

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »

Oh...ok.  As my earlier comment indicates, I saw the movie on a tiny screen on an airplane, so I must have missed that.  I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it more knowing that....

It definitely helped. I would have been totally confused otherwise.

And that sounds like the worst possible way to see this movie lol. Definitely not my favorite of the year, but it needed to be seen on a big screen.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »

I literally missed it.

Online Adami

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »

I literally missed it.

I literally am sorry and hope you can still enjoy the movie to some degree.

Figuratively speaking.
fanticide.bandcamp.com