Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93562 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #1505 on: June 21, 2018, 12:21:57 PM »
In the Hull vs. Ovie debate:

It’s been mentioned about the differences in what would be a penalty then vs. today. What I want to add to the debate is the two line pass rule. It was eliminated in the 04-05 lockout, right when Hull’s career ended and Ovie’s began. It’s much easier to get behind a defense obviously with this rule being gone and making it easier to score. And with Ovechkin’s cherry picking tendencies...

Great point. Another little known fact is Hull had ZERO empty net goals. He viewed them as cheap and unearned.

Then on this he was a fool. Yeah, it's cheap on the score sheet, but you're hurting your team. What happens if the other team ends up getting the puck and scoring? Instead of winning by two goals you're going to overtime, just stupid.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1506 on: June 22, 2018, 06:37:05 PM »
Anyone watching the Draft? Boy, did Joel Quennville look creepy looking at Kathryn Tappen during that interview.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1507 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
Kings just signed Ilya Kovalchuk for three years at $6.25M a year.  FFS.  We only got like $7.5M of cap space left (and we needed to save at least $2M to Doughty when/if he resigns).  This guy hasn't played in the bloody league in five years (I think he spent the interim in the Russian leagues) and he quitted on the Devils then.  I don't like it when the team I follow signed quitters.  He's also 35 as well.  I also don't like signing aging players that quit on a team as well.  That usually brings bad ju-ju and we're still getting over the bad ju-ju that was the Voynov debacle that plagued the 2014-2015 season.

Now I'm just going to speak incoherent sentences for the rest of the day.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1508 on: June 23, 2018, 09:50:32 AM »
Seems as though you've already started!   :D

And Trotz to the Isles.  Seems that org is committed to improvement.  Now if they can just re-sign Tavares, they have a promising future ahead of them.  Wonder who the Caps will go out and hire, or promote from within?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1509 on: June 23, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Kings just signed Ilya Kovalchuk for three years at $6.25M a year.  FFS.  We only got like $7.5M of cap space left (and we needed to save at least $2M to Doughty when/if he resigns).  This guy hasn't played in the bloody league in five years (I think he spent the interim in the Russian leagues) and he quitted on the Devils then.  I don't like it when the team I follow signed quitters.  He's also 35 as well.  I also don't like signing aging players that quit on a team as well.  That usually brings bad ju-ju and we're still getting over the bad ju-ju that was the Voynov debacle that plagued the 2014-2015 season.

Now I'm just going to speak incoherent sentences for the rest of the day.

I don't understand giving that kind of $$ to a 35yo player who hasn't played int he NHL in five seasons (and I don't care what he did in the KHL).  Fortunately, this won't really affect Doughty since he's under contract for 2018-19, so his extension won't go into effect until the following season.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1510 on: June 23, 2018, 04:54:09 PM »
So glad the Bruins didn't sign Kovalchuck. WTF were they thinking?

And Trotz to the Isles.

Seemed like the obvious move from the start.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1511 on: June 25, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
So I like the Hurricanes new 3rd Jersey logo way more than their regular logo.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1512 on: June 25, 2018, 01:44:55 PM »
Yeah, that's a pretty sweet uniform.

Don't know the first thing about hockey prospects, but from what I've seen it sounds like the Devils had a pretty solid defenseman fall to them at 17. Seems like he might be a little small yet to contribute this year (he only just turned 18), but I guess we'll see come the fall.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1513 on: June 26, 2018, 09:35:31 AM »
So I like the Hurricanes new 3rd Jersey logo way more than their regular logo.

Damn those uniforms are nice.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1514 on: June 26, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »
^ Agreed, those are pretty sweet!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1515 on: June 29, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
Drew Doughty 8x11. Fucking crazy.

An awesome player to be sure, but they'll be looking to get out of that contract within 4 years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1516 on: June 30, 2018, 04:48:33 AM »
Drew Doughty 8x11. Fucking crazy.

An awesome player to be sure, but they'll be looking to get out of that contract within 4 years.

That's just stupid.  No player is worth $11m when they are 34+... and if the rational is that he's worth more now to drive that average up, they're wrong.  He's not worth more than $11m.

The happiest person in the NHL this morning is Erik Karlsson.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1517 on: June 30, 2018, 05:20:12 AM »
And who pays?

It's so expensive now for a family to go to games that 11 million prices me out of seeing 1 game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: July 01, 2018, 05:17:06 AM »
Well Nick, looks like you guys are getting JVR back.  Enjoy.

I really hope the Isles sign Tavares, or he goes to the West.  Not sure I see him being the 1b centre behind Matthews, Bergeron, or Stamkos.  Neither of those teams need him, and it'd be crazy for them to offer long-term contracts to him blowing the cap space - that Toronto desperately needs for Matthews/Marner/Nylander (and a few other 3rd year players)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1519 on: July 01, 2018, 05:34:23 AM »
I like JVR. He's always been a Bruins killer.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1520 on: July 01, 2018, 06:48:25 AM »
Well Nick, looks like you guys are getting JVR back.  Enjoy.

I really hope the Isles sign Tavares, or he goes to the West.  Not sure I see him being the 1b centre behind Matthews, Bergeron, or Stamkos.  Neither of those teams need him, and it'd be crazy for them to offer long-term contracts to him blowing the cap space - that Toronto desperately needs for Matthews/Marner/Nylander (and a few other 3rd year players)

I agree Tavares likely won't want to play 2nd line centre in those top Eastern teams. That being said, i sure don't want him to land in the West.  There's been lots of SJ talk, and the last thing i need is Tavares playing on an already good team  in the Pacific.

On the subject of Matthews, Marner and Nylander, how much do you think those contracts will cost the Leafs? I was debating this with my boss Friday. My guess is Matthews gets $10.5-12M, and Marner/Nylander are in the $8-10M range with how salaries have escalated the past few seasons.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: July 01, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »
I like JVR. He's always been a Bruins killer.

I do too... he's just too one-dimensional.  Despite being 10 years older, I like having Marleau over JVR... Marleau will benefit from a few add'l PP minutes to fill the gap from JVR, and he also logs PK minutes.  JVR is never on the ice in key defensive situations, which is why he only averages 14-16 minutes per game.  He's a premier offensive threat for sure, but not well balanced player.

As for Matthews/Marner/Nylander... it really depends on how much they each improve again.  On paper it goes Matthews>Marner>>Nylander, each had some tough stretches last year - Matthews lost 20 games due to 3 different injuries (shoulder, concussion and I forget the third issue); Marner had a VERY sluggish start to the season, but was by far their MVP after the all-star game.  Nylander slightly improved, and showed a few stints of greatness.

Your numbers aren't too far off... Nylander can get extended before Matthews and Marner, and the talk was $6M-$6.5M range (comparable to Pasternak and Ehlers).  With the cap increase in effect now, I could see it going to the 7-ish range.  There's a possibility that Nylander might opt for a cheaper bridge deal, and try to get himself into that $8M-$9M range in a couple of years.

As for Matthews and Marner, again... depends on the kinda year they have.  If Matthews gets more PP1 time, and potentially PK (which I believe he's trying to lobby for), he could get himself in and around the $10M mark.  If Marner demonstrates he can consistently be the player he was in the 2nd half, he could be in the $10M range to.  These two are like Stamkos/Kucherov - it's hard to really say who is better/more valuable.
 Personally, I'd love to see Babcock put them on the same line together - and I'm not the only one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1522 on: July 01, 2018, 11:19:07 AM »
JT to Toronto. Totally expected. They let Bozak go and may ultimately have to move on from Marner or  more likely Nylander in the future.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1523 on: July 01, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
JT to Toronto. Totally expected. They let Bozak go and may ultimately have to move on from Marner or  more likely Nylander in the future.

I'm genuinely stunned.  Bozak and JVR were gone, everyone knew that.  With Tavares at $11M, I don't any way they can afford all three of Matthews/Marner/Nylander.  I hope they don't move Mitch... that dude is gonna be a top 5 player in the league.  Count on it.  Maybe moving Nylander can get them the stud defencemen that the team so desperately needs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1524 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:34 AM »
Actually... if they can get Nylander to agree to a relatively cheap 2-year deal as a bridge, then they can sign him for bigger/longer money once Marleau's contract is over - there's only 2 years at that, and he's eating up $6.25M of cap space.

hhhhmmmm....

Blues picked up a couple of nice players in Bozak and Perron.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1525 on: July 01, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »

..and Ryan O'Reilly.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1526 on: July 03, 2018, 07:25:32 AM »

..and Ryan O'Reilly.

...and dumped two players that had been perpetually underperforming. Sbotka has not been the same player he was since he came back from the KHL. Left a gritty, hard nosed third liner who was just an utter pest....leaves and scores a few goals over seas and comes back and thinks he’s going to be a goal scorer now. He never returned to form or at least to the player the Blues ‘thought’ they’d be getting.

And Berglund has underachieved his entire career. Has flashes of good play but just so inconsistent and unreliable. Not to mention the dude gets hurt all the time. Sucks to lose good picks and a talented young player like Thompson to make it happen but I think it was totally worth it.

Don’t know much about Bozak but he’s essentially replacing Brodziak....and I here he can fill that role. And I’ve always liked Perron.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1527 on: July 03, 2018, 12:08:25 PM »
In Bozak, you're getting a really good 2nd/3rd line centre- not necessarily a checking centre, but a balanced one that is as good at both ends of the ice.  Plus, he was the go-to faceoff guy in key situations over the past 2 years.  He was also the key setup guy below the goal line on PP1.  If he gets PP time, and has a decent enough line-mates, he's a 50-point guy offensively.

Add O'Reilly to the mix, and you have 2 of the best faceoff guys in the league - wasn't O'Reilly #1 last year? 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1528 on: July 03, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »
I like the moves the Blues made.  They got rid of some dead weight and added some potentially really good players.  Now we just have to hope that Jake Allen has his head on straight next season. :lol :facepalm:

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1529 on: July 05, 2018, 06:27:29 PM »
Can't believe that Ottawa is going to trade Karlsson. Actually I can, Melnyk doesn't want to even own the team anymore and is doing it just to alienate a fanbase and other owners and Dorion doesn't have a clue. There's no plan. Karlsson wants out of it, which I understand.

Oh well, as long as we get a first round pick back in a trade so we can tank and get a top 3 pick, hopefully it helps
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1530 on: July 05, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
Can't believe that Ottawa is going to trade Karlsson. Actually I can, Melnyk doesn't want to even own the team anymore and is doing it just to alienate a fanbase and other owners and Dorion doesn't have a clue. There's no plan. Karlsson wants out of it, which I understand.

Oh well, as long as we get a first round pick back in a trade so we can tank and get a top 3 pick, hopefully it helps

I, uh...hate to break it to ya, but the teams trading for Karlsson that would be giving Ottawa a first round pick are not going to be in the draft lottery, or at the very worst they won't have good odds at all.  :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1531 on: July 05, 2018, 08:10:25 PM »
 :facepalm:

Just let me live in my fantasy world

:(

There’s no way that the Sens are going to be anywhere near competitive. I don’t think last place, but pretty close
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1532 on: August 07, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »
He wasn't from my era of watching the NHL, but he was certainly a legend and icon.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stan-mikita-hall-of-famer-dead/c-299698868

Stan Mikita, the leading scorer in the history of the Chicago Blackhawks, a two-time Hart Trophy winner and member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, died Tuesday. He was 78.

Mikita played his entire 22-year NHL career with the Blackhawks and is their all-time leader in points (1,467), assists (926) and games played (1,394). He became the first Blackhawks player to have his number retired when his No. 21 was raised to the rafters at Chicago Stadium in 1980. Mikita is the only player in NHL history to win the Art Ross, Hart and Lady Byng trophies in the same season, and he did it back-to-back (1966-67, 1967-68).

:sadpanda:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1533 on: August 07, 2018, 09:17:48 PM »
I worked for a really nice private golf course when I was in high school, ‘The Legends’. When I was a junior there was a Pro Am and Stan Makita was one of the golfers. I ended up carrying his leaderboard for a day. Really nice guy....very chatty and fun. He bought me snacks and drinks all day....even tried to buy me a beer but his wife yelled at him and told him I was ‘just a kid’.  :rollin

RIP Stan
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1534 on: August 08, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
That's awesome :lol

First thing I think of when I hear his name is always that he owned the donut shop in Wayne's World.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1535 on: August 08, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »
Stan Mikita's Donuts :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1536 on: August 08, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
He wasn't from my era of watching the NHL, but he was certainly a legend and icon.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stan-mikita-hall-of-famer-dead/c-299698868

Stan Mikita, the leading scorer in the history of the Chicago Blackhawks, a two-time Hart Trophy winner and member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, died Tuesday. He was 78.

Mikita played his entire 22-year NHL career with the Blackhawks and is their all-time leader in points (1,467), assists (926) and games played (1,394). He became the first Blackhawks player to have his number retired when his No. 21 was raised to the rafters at Chicago Stadium in 1980. Mikita is the only player in NHL history to win the Art Ross, Hart and Lady Byng trophies in the same season, and he did it back-to-back (1966-67, 1967-68).

:sadpanda:

That about sums it up.  When I grew up, I read about the legends of baseball, so I've always felt familiar with players from before my time (Cobb, Ruth, Greenberg, etc.) or who were just finishing up their careers (Aaron), but I never did that with hockey since I didn't become a fan until my early 20s.

But Mikita is certainly one of those legendary names whose death deserves recognition and respect.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: August 09, 2018, 03:08:25 AM »
Today is exactly 30 years since The Trade - Gretzky's trade from Edmonton to LA Kings.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1538 on: August 09, 2018, 05:17:21 AM »
Today is exactly 30 years since The Trade - Gretzky's trade from Edmonton to LA Kings.

Still one of the most unbelievable sports moments ever. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1539 on: August 09, 2018, 05:27:38 AM »

Still one of the most unbelievable sports moments ever. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news.

A Dokken concert?