Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93552 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #1470 on: June 08, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
I respectfully disagree, not sure what perspective you are talking about. I thought he played balls out this post season, including the defensive side. Yes, he is a sniper, I agree...but he did more than that in this playoff run. And this might be the day we'll see a different Ovechkin maybe playing to a different level. Not a Caps fan here but I give credit where credit is due and he was the best this post season.

That's cool, we can disagree on this. All I'm saying is that Ovie played great, but he's not some complete player. His defensive game still isn't great, he still isn't a great play maker for others, etc... Some of that is because he's a wing rather than a center, some of that is because those components of his game still aren't great.

Being a good 200 foot player means playing great in all three zones in October just like in June. I'll be curious to see what Ovie we get in Oct. Once again, not trying to take anything away from a great run by the guy, I just don't see him as a truly great complete player. I see him as a world class, once in a generation goal scorer who got hot on a post season run and played well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1471 on: June 08, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
On a side note, I was kind of rooting for both teams LOL. I'm usually a fan of the game and indivdiual players and Alex is on my list. I wanted him to win a Cup. But the Golden Knights story was even better, the whole community embracing the team before and after the LV shooting tragedy; how a bunch of players with really no bond in the beginning of the season took this team to the finals. I feel sorry for the Panthers because Gallant is an excellent coach and teacher. There is a lot of good stories this year for the Golden Knights and hope they can continue this magical run into next year. 

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1472 on: June 08, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »

I'll be curious to see what Ovie we get in Oct.

Yes, totally agree on this. I hope this playoff run/win takes him to a new level of playing. I think Barry Trotz has been the best coach he has had and seems like Ovie finally bought into a coaching system. Question is, will Trotz be back? He's been coaching for 20 yrs, no contract for next season (however, Washington GM said if Trotz wants back, he'll make it work)...so, will Trotz retire on top after winning the SC? Stay in DC? Go to the Islanders (only vacancy right now)?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1473 on: June 08, 2018, 08:43:38 AM »
Naturally, the Pittsburgh-ian is the one pointing out the flaws.  ;D :P

No one can play a full season at the level that the GREAT players do for a playoff run - no matter what their specialty or specialties.  I guarantee next year that Bergeron will have many games where he is under 50% for face-offs; Kopitar will have games where he's a -4; Rinne will let in 5 at some point next season (or some points); Laine will have a multi-game goal-less drought; Hedman will have many giveaways that lead to a goal; Ovi will coast on a back-check.

This doesn't mean Ovi (or any of the 'elite') isn't a complete player.  He may not be THE MOST complete player (he doesn't PK), but for what he does (which is a lot), he's clearly one of the best... making hime one of the best all-around players.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: June 08, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
Ovi might be better than Crosby. We'll never know. Imagine Malkin being in Washington instead of Pittsburgh.

Happy for the Caps. Was a casual fan for many years. But I'm all in on Philly teams now...

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1475 on: June 08, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
Naturally, the Pittsburgh-ian is the one pointing out the flaws.  ;D :P

:tup

Ovi might be better than Crosby. We'll never know. Imagine Malkin being in Washington instead of Pittsburgh.

If anything Malkin's career has been elevated by Sid's presence, not the other way around. 99.9% of the time Sid draws the top D pair of the other team, leaving Geno with good matchups.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1476 on: June 08, 2018, 10:52:06 AM »
Congrats to the Caps, good to see Ovie get one!

There was nobody else who could have gotten that trophy. Ovechkin is the best player of this generation and he more than earned the Conn Smythe.

Yeah.... no way  :lol

He's definitely behind Sid.  When you look at the modern era players that made the Top 100 of all-time, a case can be made for Ovi to be #2 or #3:

Kane
Toews
Keith
Lidstrom
Datsyuk
(let's not even get into the debate of how Malkin didn't make the Top 100 of all time!)

Can we get into a debate about Duncan Keith?  I nearly did a spit take when he was announced.

As for last night, that was a great ending.  Very happy with the outcome.  And yes, they switched over to NBCSN.  I seem to recall some issue with that in prior years, but maybe I'm just thinking of how my DVR recordings got screwed up in 2014 when the Kings won and I wasn't watching at home.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1477 on: June 08, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
Ovi is the greatest goal scorer there's ever been, and one of the most impactful players we've ever seen, but that being said, the reason the Caps won is because the their other players (especially Kuz, Holtby, Oshie, Eller, Carlson) were difference makers as well. I'm very happy to see every Capital win the Cup, other than that trash bag Wilson, even as a Pens fan.

Also, let's stop comparing Ovi-Sid. It's really not even a contest, and it's even less of a contest when you compare #2 to #3.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1478 on: June 08, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »
Ovi is the greatest goal scorer there's ever been. . . .

Also, let's stop comparing Ovi-Sid. It's really not even a contest

Ummm....   :huh: :huh:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1479 on: June 08, 2018, 11:25:08 AM »
Can we get into a debate about Duncan Keith?  I nearly did a spit take when he was announced.

Sure.  I think his inclusions was one of the more glaring :wtf: moments with that.  Him and not Doughty or Chara (if you just wanna compare modern era defensemen)? Him over Malkin?  Or even Zetterberg?  Not to mention other great D-Men in other eras I'd take over him - Rod Langway and Rob Blake come to mind.

Ovi is the greatest goal scorer there's ever been,

That's a bold statement.  I could easily name 5-10 that are arguably (if not definitively) better - Hull (pick either of them), Esposito, Bossy, Lafleur, Kurri, Selanne, Gartner, Dionne... Hell, I'd even argue that Gretz and Lemiuex were better goal scorers - they simply aren't recognized as "goal scorers" because they were even BETTER playmakers.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1480 on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »

That's a bold statement.  I could easily name 5-10 that are arguably (if not definitively) better - Hull (pick either of them), Esposito, Bossy, Lafleur, Kurri, Selanne, Gartner, Dionne... Hell, I'd even argue that Gretz and Lemiuex were better goal scorers - they simply aren't recognized as "goal scorers" because they were even BETTER playmakers.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't consider Ovie the greatest goal scorer ever.  To the bolded - that's what I was trying to get at with the complete player comments.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1481 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
Also, let's stop comparing Ovi-Sid. It's really not even a contest, and it's even less of a contest when you compare #2 to #3.

In what reality is Ovi a better player than Crosby? I agree it's no contest, but i don't think any sane hockey fan would say ovechkin is a better player. Sure, Ovi can score goals as good as anyone who ever played, but he's 1 dimensional. I'll take the perennial 90-100 points Crosby has every time over Ovi's 40-50 goals.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1482 on: June 08, 2018, 11:58:24 AM »
Any bets Ovi leaves for the KHL after this contract expires now that he has his Cup?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1483 on: June 08, 2018, 12:44:05 PM »

Sure.  I think his inclusions was one of the more glaring :wtf: moments with that.  Him and not Doughty or Chara (if you just wanna compare modern era defensemen)? Him over Malkin?  Or even Zetterberg?  Not to mention other great D-Men in other eras I'd take over him - Rod Langway and Rob Blake come to mind.

Not much of a debate if I agree with every word you wrote.  Keith isn't the best defenseman playing today (or of the last 10 years), much less one of the NHL's top 100 players of all time.

Ditto re Ovi being "the greatest goal scorer there's ever been" (a statement that really makes makes me wonder how old Jarlaxle is).  Greatest goal scorer currently playing?  Maybe, if you ignore the fact that Jaromir Jagr is still playing in Europe.  Of all time?  Not a chance.

Ovi is currently 19th on the all time NHL goals list.  Depending on a lot of factors, he's got a fair chance of finishing his career in the mid-700s, which would make him top-5.  He's also 5th in goals per game, which is likely to drop over the next few years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: June 08, 2018, 02:39:24 PM »
Ditto re Ovi being "the greatest goal scorer there's ever been" (a statement that really makes makes me wonder how old Jarlaxle is).

Forum profile says he's 26.

Ovi is currently 19th on the all time NHL goals list.  Depending on a lot of factors, he's got a fair chance of finishing his career in the mid-700s, which would make him top-5.  He's also 5th in goals per game, which is likely to drop over the next few years.

Was going to make the same comment... he's 5th when measuring the prime of his career.  Take a few players behind him in that stat (Bure, Hull... even Tim Kerr - one of my all-time FAVORITES, btw) when they were only 32 (ie, the prime of their career), and I'm sure they'd be higher than Ovi.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1485 on: June 08, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
Gretzky is both the greatest goal scorer ever and the great playmaker ever.  Good luck arguing for anyone else in either regard.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1486 on: June 08, 2018, 07:34:16 PM »

Happy for the Caps. Was a casual fan for many years. But I'm all in on Philly teams now...

I hate Sid and love Ovi, but I have to respectfully disagree. As much as I can’t stand Sid, I don’t think there’s any player in the league close to as good as him.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1487 on: June 08, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »

In what reality is Ovi a better player than Crosby? I agree it's no contest, but i don't think any sane hockey fan would say ovechkin is a better player. Sure, Ovi can score goals as good as anyone who ever played, but he's 1 dimensional. I'll take the perennial 90-100 points Crosby has every time over Ovi's 40-50 goals.

I don't think Ovi is better. Like I said, Ovi is (IMO) the greatest goal scorer there has ever been, but Crosby is the better player and I don't think its particularly close.

As for the arguments against my opinion against Ovi being the greatest goal scorer ever, part of it is the eye test, the other part is just stats. I only figured out the numbers for 3 players (not enough time), Bossy, Gretzky, and Ovi:

Bossy: 0.762 goals/game. NHL averaged 7.501 goals/game during his career, so his average is 10.16% of goals scored during his career.

Gretzky: 0.601 goals/game. NHL average 6.66 goals/game = 9.02%

Ovechkin: 0.626 goal/game. NHL average 5.65 goals/game = 11.08%

If you remove Gretzky's last 8 seasons, his numbers go to 0.804, 6.96 = 11.55% However, that is removing seasons where Gretzky only scored 11 goals (48 games), 15 (62), 25 (82), 23 (82), 9 (70). I really don't see Ovechkin's goal scoring regressing to totals that consistently low. Throughout his career he has been a player that routinely scores 50 goals when no one scores 40. I don't think Ovechkin is as good of a goal scorer as he was 5 years ago and he still is the best. Maybe if I ran the numbers for more players I would be proven wrong, but he's incredible, and for my money he's pound for pound the best (most natural?) goal scorer ever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1488 on: June 08, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
Ummmm...... I’d take Brett Hull in his prime over Ovi in his prime every day of the week. He’s your ‘best’ natural goal scorer. He was scoring 50, 60.....80 goals a season when you could literally clutch and grab every appendage that wasn’t tied down.....Ovi’s never seen that type of league. You can’t touch goal scorers now days without getting a penalty.

Ovi certainly is awesome and a true talent but let’s not get carried away with all this ‘best ever’ talk. I know everyone’s excited for the guy but let’s regain some perspective here.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1489 on: June 08, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »
That would be you assuming that I'm only saying this because he won the Cup, which would be wrong. However, I do respect your choice of Hull.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: June 09, 2018, 04:53:09 AM »
Brett Hull also had Adam Oates, so there's that.   :biggrin:  And I say that with much love, because Oates was one of my top-3 favorite players from that era.

Look, Ovi is top-10 all-time goal scorer, that's for sure.  I see one out of about 7 or 8 people here claiming best ever, and I've NEVER heard anyone in the sports media or anyone outside of you Jarlaxle put him on that pedestal.  Any one of us could slice/dice a number of different stats, or point to intangible factors (eg, Gary's point on style of play; one could also point to changes in goaltending equipment made it easier to score in the past) to paint the right picture.  You say part of that is the 'eye test'... well, it's only your eye that says he's GOAT in this regard.  ;D  I will absolutely grant you that it *is* harder to score nowadays than back in the 70s and 80s.  When players like Charlie Simmer, Rick Vaive and Rick Kehoe can pot 50+, that's kinda my eye-test in that regard. :lol

Time will tell I suppose, but I can certainly see Ovi's production declining over the next couple of years.  You pointed to Gretz... he was scoring 80-90 when just getting 50 was an accomplishment - plus he had Kurri/Messier/Anderson hogging a bunch of goals too  :biggrin:.  Take away any of them (who combined had seven 50+ goal seasons) and Gretz might've had even higher totals.  See... stats can be manipulated in anyone's favour.   :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: June 09, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
Brett Hull also had Adam Oates, so there's that.   :biggrin:  And I say that with much love, because Oates was one of my top-3 favorite players from that era.

Look, Ovi is top-10 all-time goal scorer, that's for sure.  I see one out of about 7 or 8 people here claiming best ever, and I've NEVER heard anyone in the sports media or anyone outside of you Jarlaxle put him on that pedestal.  Any one of us could slice/dice a number of different stats, or point to intangible factors (eg, Gary's point on style of play; one could also point to changes in goaltending equipment made it easier to score in the past) to paint the right picture.  You say part of that is the 'eye test'... well, it's only your eye that says he's GOAT in this regard.  ;D  I will absolutely grant you that it *is* harder to score nowadays than back in the 70s and 80s.  When players like Charlie Simmer, Rick Vaive and Rick Kehoe can pot 50+, that's kinda my eye-test in that regard. :lol

Time will tell I suppose, but I can certainly see Ovi's production declining over the next couple of years.  You pointed to Gretz... he was scoring 80-90 when just getting 50 was an accomplishment - plus he had Kurri/Messier/Anderson hogging a bunch of goals too  :biggrin:.  Take away any of them (who combined had seven 50+ goal seasons) and Gretz might've had even higher totals.  See... stats can be manipulated in anyone's favour.   :biggrin:

The 'era' argument will never end....that's for sure. I personally think half of Gretzky's goals were rubbish.....the goal tending when he came into the league was utterly laughable. BUT...he was a talent that was far and above his peers at the time...so, I guess he 'deserves' his accolades. However I'm 'Team Lemiuex' when it comes to who was better out of those two.

I just took notice of the usage of 'greatest pure goal scorer' that was used....and needed to point out that Hull was scoring 60-80 goals a season at a period of time in the league when you could prison shank a player in the kidneys and not be penalized. Not to take anything away from Ovi because the dude is a flat out talent and sniper....but, he's not the first or the last one to be gifted like that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: June 09, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
The 'era' argument will never end....that's for sure. I personally think half of Gretzky's goals were rubbish.....the goal tending when he came into the league was utterly laughable. BUT...he was a talent that was far and above his peers at the time...so, I guess he 'deserves' his accolades. However I'm 'Team Lemiuex' when it comes to who was better out of those two.

If it was so easy because the goaltending was weak, why weren't more people scoring 70+??  :biggrin:  It's all relative I suppose.

I just took notice of the usage of 'greatest pure goal scorer' that was used....and needed to point out that Hull was scoring 60-80 goals a season at a period of time in the league when you could prison shank a player in the kidneys and not be penalized. Not to take anything away from Ovi because the dude is a flat out talent and sniper....but, he's not the first or the last one to be gifted like that.

Again, all relative.  The number of 50+ goal scorers in Hull's time (let's say '89-98) there were 56 50+ goal scorers (with the lockout 1/2 season in there.  56 in 8 seasons.  In the last 10 years since Ovi was drafted, there's been 20.  State your view on the rules making it harder in the 90s all you want, the stats don't lie - it is harder to score nowadays than it was in the 20th Century.  MUCH harder.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: June 09, 2018, 09:21:22 AM »
Chad...I think...not sure, but we're trying to say the same thing. It's just impossible to compare. Maybe Hull has 90 goals in today's game because he can just post up at the circle the way Ovi does and rip shot after shot. He was pinpoint accurate with his shots. Maybe Ovi only has tops 35 goals because he just can't take the abuse of the hacks and whacks to the wrists and kidneys for 82 games.

Gretzky was a lot like Tiger Woods was when he blew up the golf world. He was the first one at that 'next level'. He hit the scene and the game changed....it just took a few years for the 'old guard' to wash out of the league and that next generation of players that he inspired to become better to get in and go. Same thing happened in Golf with Tiger.

The 'era' debates are always fun but it's just impossible to really judge or ever know. I mean shoot.....put current day Ovi in the league that a young #99 played in and Ovi may score 200 goals. Those goalies back then were laughable compared to what he's facing today.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: June 09, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
Fair points.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1495 on: June 09, 2018, 04:48:04 PM »
Gmiller, you said a lot of the points that I'm considering when I say that I think Ovi is the best goal scorer. The data isn't available anywhere, but in Gretzky's LAST season he averaged more ice time than Ovi ever did in a single season. I think it's reasonable to think Gretzky played more against opponents that frankly just weren't good  :lol (thats why I think more people weren't scoring 70 goals). Scoring is spread throughout lineups now too, which I think also sucks away a lot of potential offense for star players now.

Again, this is all just my opinion, but if Ovi can have 2-3 more years scoring 45-50 goals, which I have no doubt that he will, he's easily within reach of Gretzky's all time goal record. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1496 on: June 09, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1497 on: June 09, 2018, 06:31:21 PM »

Again, this is all just my opinion, but if Ovi can have 2-3 more years scoring 45-50 goals, which I have no doubt that he will, he's easily within reach of Gretzky's all time goal record.

Easier said than done.  Ovechkin is reaching that age where players typically start to see a dip in production (Father Time always wins), and he needs 285 goals to pass Gretzky. I can see Ovechkin playing 6 more seasons, which means he needs to average over 40 goals a season, as he get older, and he has to stay healthy every season to have a realistic shot.  The odds are not in his favor.  He needed a couple of those 70-80 goal seasons in his 20's to spike the numbers up a bit to offset the inevitable decline in production that is coming sooner than you think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1498 on: June 09, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »
  Maybe Hull has 90 goals in today's game because he can just post up at the circle the way Ovi does and rip shot after shot.

Isn't that exactly what he did?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1499 on: June 09, 2018, 10:27:05 PM »

Easier said than done.  Ovechkin is reaching that age where players typically start to see a dip in production (Father Time always wins), and he needs 285 goals to pass Gretzky. I can see Ovechkin playing 6 more seasons, which means he needs to average over 40 goals a season, as he get older, and he has to stay healthy every season to have a realistic shot.  The odds are not in his favor.  He needed a couple of those 70-80 goal seasons in his 20's to spike the numbers up a bit to offset the inevitable decline in production that is coming sooner than you think.

I totally agree. I don't think he'll do it, but if last years rise in powerplays and offense continues into the coming seasons I could see him having 3 more 50 goal seasons, then he at least has a shot if he extends his career.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1500 on: June 10, 2018, 08:25:14 AM »
I could see him not playing again and just partying for the next 10 years. :lol

Seriously, check out some of the pics on the web of him with the Cup.  He is having the time of his life.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #1501 on: June 10, 2018, 08:30:59 AM »
In the Hull vs. Ovie debate:

It’s been mentioned about the differences in what would be a penalty then vs. today. What I want to add to the debate is the two line pass rule. It was eliminated in the 04-05 lockout, right when Hull’s career ended and Ovie’s began. It’s much easier to get behind a defense obviously with this rule being gone and making it easier to score. And with Ovechkin’s cherry picking tendencies...

Of the older generation snipers, I’d have loved to watch Mike Bossy. Started watching hockey just after his career finished.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1502 on: June 10, 2018, 10:16:18 AM »
I could see him not playing again and just partying for the next 10 years. :lol

Seriously, check out some of the pics on the web of him with the Cup.  He is having the time of his life.

As an NHL fan seeing him party is just so amazing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: June 10, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »
In the Hull vs. Ovie debate:

It’s been mentioned about the differences in what would be a penalty then vs. today. What I want to add to the debate is the two line pass rule. It was eliminated in the 04-05 lockout, right when Hull’s career ended and Ovie’s began. It’s much easier to get behind a defense obviously with this rule being gone and making it easier to score. And with Ovechkin’s cherry picking tendencies...

Great point. Another little known fact is Hull had ZERO empty net goals. He viewed them as cheap and unearned.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: June 10, 2018, 01:12:07 PM »
I'll never forget seeing Al Iafrate on a breakaway shoot a puck into the corner instead of potting an empty netter. When asked int he post game interview about it, his response was "empty net goals are for faggots"