Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 95142 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #1050 on: April 25, 2018, 08:15:26 PM »
Rask is in net, so the Leafs still have a chance. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1051 on: April 25, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
Game over.  One hell of a first round.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1052 on: April 25, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
4-goal 3rd period was a weak effort.  That was the one thing the Leafs immensely improved on this year - holding a 3rd period lead.  Not tonight.

I said at the start of the playoffs that I'd be 'ok' if they lost in round 1.  You look at all the great young teams/players - Sid, Kane/Toews in particular... they didn't make the playoffs their first year.  IMO, this Leafs group is 1-year ahead of schedule, having made the playoffs last year.

Bummer.  At least now I can watch the Jets games without watching hockey 8 days a week.

2nd happiest group tonight ... Tampa Bay and their fans.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1053 on: April 25, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

WUT?

You could've watched the Blue Jays you know..Oh wait. Boston beat 'em. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: April 25, 2018, 08:28:22 PM »
I still think this playoff set up is messed up.  We as a #2 just beat the #3 seed in the 1st round and now we face #1?

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1055 on: April 25, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
I still think this playoff set up is messed up.  We as a #2just beat the #3 in the 1st round and now we face #1?

Yeah. This is jacked up. Has been for some time.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: April 25, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »

WUT?

The fact it was such a hard fought and gruelling game.

oh... and lol-baseball.

I too think that playoff seeding needs to be addressed... #4 and #6 teams in the entire league face each other in round 1!?!?!  And now #1 and #2 teams face each other in round 2 - on both sides of the league!  The top 4 teams in the league are playing each other!!!  Two of the best four teams will be eliminated in round 2.  That's beyond fucked.  Imagine the Rockets facing the Warriors in Round 2 of the NBA playoffs.  <shake-my-fucking-head>

The Bruins better pick up their game, or Tampa will light them up.  The Leafs fell apart in the 3rd, and Freddie finally gave up a couple of softie's.  They better not count on that against the Bolts.

The Leafs will look much different next year, that's a certainty.  Bozak and JVR are gone, maybe Komarov; defense need to be addressed too.  Matthews/Marner/Nylander will continue to grow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: April 25, 2018, 08:39:37 PM »
The B's always play well against the Lightning.  Weird to say but true.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1058 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
The fact it was such a hard fought and gruelling game.

Ah..gotcha!

I too think that playoff seeding needs to be addressed... #4 and #6 teams in the entire league face each other in round 1!?!?!  And now #1 and #2 teams face each other in round 2 - on both sides of the league!  The top 4 teams in the league are playing each other!!!  Two of the best four teams will be eliminated in round 2.  That's beyond fucked.  Imagine the Rockets facing the Warriors in Round 2 of the NBA playoffs.  <shake-my-fucking-head>

I think the bottom half of the Atlantic was pretty soft. I like the divisional format.

The B's always play well against the Lightning.  Weird to say but true.

Right. The Leafs have been a tough matchup all year, wheras the Bruins fared much better against TB.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1059 on: April 25, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
Mike Rupp looks like he's going to cry on the NHL Network.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1060 on: April 25, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
That was a conflicting series for me. I dislike Boston more strongly as a rival, but I get more schadenfreude out of the Leafs. In the end I think I prefer a Boston victory there, but conflicting either way. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1061 on: April 25, 2018, 09:06:57 PM »
As a Bruins fan, I rubbed my eyes twice reading that from a Habs fan. :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1062 on: April 25, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
The score was 7-4 in one single game.  The funny thing is that in the entire Golden Knights/Kings series, the combined goals scored was 7-3.  It's just unbelievable how that can happen sometimes with these series.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1063 on: April 25, 2018, 10:50:15 PM »
As a Bruins fan, I rubbed my eyes twice reading that from a Habs fan. :lol
I think it has to do with living in Ontario and having to deal with hyperconcentrated Leafs media and fans all the time. Kinda makes you really want it to be over with. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: April 26, 2018, 03:56:30 AM »
Unsurprisingly, Bednar/Gallant/Cassidy for the Adams.  Too bad Bednar and Cassidy don't have a chance, because they both had stellar years with their teams - Bednar for (I think this is what I saw) the 3rd best 1-season point increase in NHL history; Cassidy for all the injuries the team had all... fucking .... year, and to be 1 point within the Eastern top seed.

But what Gallant did never has, and never will be matched.  And it wasn't even close.  I predict 100% 1st-place votes for him.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1065 on: April 26, 2018, 06:58:27 AM »
Way to pull out a win Bs, good luck with TB.

This second round is going to have some great matchups can't wait for it to kick off tonight!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1066 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:18 AM »
Dammit Leafs.

5-3 first round.

I think the Nashville-Jets series is going to be amazing, even better than Caps/Preds, and think those series will be the toughest to call, that said...

Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: April 26, 2018, 08:20:55 AM »
I like it Nick when you pick against the B's. :biggrin:

The B's were 3-1 this year against the Lightning.  They always play well against them.  Just like the Caps always have the B's #.  So go Penguins! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
Every series could be a 'pick-em'

Jets - Their D will stifle the offense
Sharks - I have a feeling Jones will out-duel Fleury, and Kane will rise to the occasion and be a "the guy"
Caps - Injuries to Pens... god I hope this is finally the Caps year to bust past them.
Bolts - Boston can go fuck a flock of seagulls.

There's as good a chance of this being 0-4 as it is being 3-1 / 4-0.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1069 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
Every series could be a 'pick-em'

Jets - Their D will stifle the offense

Agree. I think the Jets will win the series in 6 games. The Preds are really good but I don't see them as imposing as they're being billed.

Sharks - I have a feeling Jones will out-duel Fleury, and Kane will rise to the occasion and be a "the guy"

Disagree. I see the fairly tale continuing. Fleury shines and the Knights players rise to the occasion.

Caps - Injuries to Pens... god I hope this is finally the Caps year to bust past them.

Got a feeling this is the Caps year. It's near impossible to Three-peat and I think the games are catching up to the Pens.

Bolts - Boston can go fuck a flock of seagulls.

Boston wins just to continue twisting the knife into Chad's heart.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1070 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps

Ironically, I'm picking the other teams in all these.

Jets
Knights
Bs
Pens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1071 on: April 26, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps

Jets
Knights
Bs
Pens

Only one I'll even strongly argue for is the Sharks, and I HATE rooting for the Sharks and LOVE rooting for Vegas. That said the way the Sharks rolled over the ducks in round 1 was super impressive. Their offense was immense, and will be enough to crack the shell of Vegas and I don't think they'll be able to respond with enough firepower of their own.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1072 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:21 AM »
Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps

Jets
Knights
Bs
Pens

Only one I'll even strongly argue for is the Sharks, and I HATE rooting for the Sharks and LOVE rooting for Vegas. That said the way the Sharks rolled over the ducks in round 1 was super impressive. Their offense was immense, and will be enough to crack the shell of Vegas and I don't think they'll be able to respond with enough firepower of their own.

I hear ya, I think these are all good match ups and honestly could each go either way. Should be a great second round.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1073 on: April 26, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
I don't personally have a big problem with the division based playoff setup, but I can see why it bothers some.

Under the old conference-based setup, we would have had:

TB v. NJ
BOS v. CBJ
WAS v. PHI
TOR v. PIT

NSH v. COL
WPG v. LA
VGK v. SJ
MIN v. ANA

In the east, I'd be very surprised if the same four teams didn't advance, but we'd have TB v. PIT and BOS v. WAS in the second round.  The west would have been a little different, with MIN or ANA taking the place of VGK or SJ.

Anyway, back to reality.  I'm picking:

BOS over TB
WAS over PIT
WPG over NSH
SJ over VGK
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: April 26, 2018, 11:25:22 AM »
I don't personally have a big problem with the division based playoff setup, but I can see why it bothers some.

The problem is that certain divisions end up stronger than the other.  All three teams from the Atlantic this year finished better than any team in the Metro.  Central had the top 2 teams in the entire league.  Last year, it was the Metro that got screwed.

There's no perfect scenario, but maybe it's time to go back to a straight 1-8 rating?  Perhaps with the caveat that the two divisional winners get the top 2 seeds, then re-seed spots 3-8 after that regardless of division.  At the very least, re-seed after round 1.  The current format goes across divisions to favour the lower standing teams (ie, if 5th place in one division is 8th in the conference, they get the last spot).  The league should extend that to favoring a format that goes across divisions to favour the higher performing teams as well.

In that scenario, re-seeding would give us Preds v Sharks and Jets v Knights; Bolts v Pens, and Bs v Caps.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1075 on: April 26, 2018, 01:27:33 PM »
The problem is that certain divisions end up stronger than the other.  All three teams from the Atlantic this year finished better than any team in the Metro.  Central had the top 2 teams in the entire league.  Last year, it was the Metro that got screwed.

There's no perfect scenario, but maybe it's time to go back to a straight 1-8 rating?  Perhaps with the caveat that the two divisional winners get the top 2 seeds, then re-seed spots 3-8 after that regardless of division.  At the very least, re-seed after round 1.  The current format goes across divisions to favour the lower standing teams (ie, if 5th place in one division is 8th in the conference, they get the last spot).  The league should extend that to favoring a format that goes across divisions to favour the higher performing teams as well.

Like I said, I understand why some folks don't like the division-based format, but the part that I bolded is the most significant thing.  "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder, and there's no format that will work "perfectly" every year.  The division-based format allows for traditional rivalries in the first two rounds more so than a conference-based format.  And why is conference-based any better than division-based?  I'm not a big NBA fan, but I've heard a lot of folks complaining for a few years that the playoffs should take the top 16 teams in the league, regardless of conference.

For me, I like the division-based format because of the reason I mentioned in the prior paragraph and because it's what existed when I became a fan of the NHL.  I thought it was "weird" when they got rid of the Smythe, Norris, Patrick and Adams Divisions and the Campbell and Wales Conferences.  When the NHL re-aligned back into four divisions, I was hoping they'd revert back to those names, but alas.

Ultimately, my (meaningless) vote is to stop tinkering.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1076 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:04 PM »
I would prefer they go back to conference based seedings with the division winners getting the top seeds.  Toronto, if they had advanced all the way to Cup finals, would have had the equivalent path to what an 8 seed would have faced in the old system, and they had the 7th best record in the league.  Ted Leonsis may be the off-ice owner, but Sidney Crosby owns them on-ice.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:43 PM »
The conference split (NBA and NHL) is for travel and timezone (ie, TV revenue) issues.  Having east ET teams play MT or PT teams throughout (potentially) all four rounds would be hell on the players, and fans.  It's truly amazing what the Red Wings did as part of the Western conference for 20 years, but that wouldn't work for mere mortal teams and fans (or networks) if that was happening regularly in the post season.

And you're right... some years it works out fine for some/most teams, other years, not as much.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1078 on: April 26, 2018, 04:32:40 PM »
I mean for a team like the Dallas Stars that was lumped in the Pacific Division along with the California teams and Arizona Coyotes, in 2006-2013, I don't think it is great for their fans if they have to watch a good amount of the Stars away games at around 9-9:30 P.M.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1079 on: April 26, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »
Boston can go fuck a flock of seagulls.

Pretty sure they just did! ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1080 on: April 26, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
4-0 Vegas after 1 period!!!   :omg:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1081 on: April 26, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps

Jets
Knights
Bs
Pens

Well, I guess I'll just shut the fuck up from here on out, holy fuck.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1082 on: April 26, 2018, 10:30:13 PM »
This can't be real right now.  7 goals to nil in the Golden Knights/Sharks game?  I want the Sharks to feel some form of agony, but man, if you are letting in the same amount of goals in 50 minutes as the Kings let in in 4.5 games against this team, you got some leaks to work on and not get rattled and unravel against this team.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1083 on: April 26, 2018, 11:11:23 PM »
WTF was that???  4 goals in the first 12 minutes???   :censored :censored :censored :loser:
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1084 on: April 27, 2018, 07:08:09 AM »
Preds
Sharks
Lightning
Caps

Jets
Knights
Bs
Pens

Well, I guess I'll just shut the fuck up from here on out, holy fuck.

Promise?   :)

Kidding of course, long way to go, but yeah the Knights looked good and seemed to match up well against the Sharks. That said, it's only one game.

The Pens win in DC last night was about as big as one win in a 7 game series can be. It was on the road, without Malkin and Haglin, and looked to be pretty deflating to the Caps. Once again, it's only one game so it really doesn't matter how it was won, but it felt important for this Pens team to be able to do that.

Oh and Sidney Crosby is really good at hockey.