Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 96015 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #910 on: April 17, 2018, 08:56:53 AM »
Based on the regular season stats, the Bruins hit SIX GAMES worth of posts last night! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online pg1067

« Reply #911 on: April 17, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
Bruins look like they're going to roll over the Leafs. 

You were saying??   ;D  Just need the Leafs to show up like that again on Thursday, and it's a best of 3.

Holy shit Anaheim!  Are the Sharks that good, or the Ducks that bad?

Yeah...I also thought the Kings had a chance against the Knights and that the Sharks v. Ducks series would be a very close match up.  I think it's more of a matter of the Sharks taking their game to a new level than anything else.  The Ducks are also not doing any of the things they ordinarily do well.

Do or die for the Kings tonight.  I am not optimistic for a repeat of 2014.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #912 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:33 AM »
Based on the regular season stats, the Bruins hit SIX GAMES worth of posts last night! :lol

Kapanen has a 2-game post streak of his own.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #913 on: April 17, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
Oh man, what a blast to be at the Devils game last night. They didn't start great, but really came on for the end of the second and then the third period. Hopefully they can sustain that through game 4 on Wednesday. Things also got pretty heated at the end last night, curious to see if that bleeds into the next game at all. Only problem is that I was so damn amped after the game that I couldn't even think about going to sleep until after 1am :lol Definitely feeling that today, but so worth it :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #914 on: April 17, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »
There you have it, as everyone predicted at the beginning of the season the Vegas Golden Knights are the first team to finish off an opponent and proceed to round 2 of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:19:38 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #915 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »
Dammit, there goes my chance of winning the NHL Playoffs Bracket Challenge. I picked the Kings to win in 7 games.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #916 on: April 18, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »
Dammit, there goes my chance of winning the NHL Playoffs Bracket Challenge. I picked the Kings to win in 7 games.

Impressive sweep from the Knights, that's for sure.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: April 18, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Anyone shocked that it's Rinne, Vasilevsky and Hellebuyck for the Vezina?  I thought that Rask might've bumped Vas given the latter's sub-standard performance in the stretch, but I guess Rask was fairly ordinary in March as well.  Really tough year to narrow it down to 3, because Rask and Fleury were also very worthy candidates.

Predictions:
Hart - Hall, Kucherov, MacKinnon
Norris - Klingberg, Hedman, Josi
Calder - Barazel... doesn't matter who else, he's 100% lock.  Gourde should get a nomination.  Boesser might've if he hadn't gotten injured - still might get a nomination.
Adams - Gallant ... doesn't matter who else, he's a 100% lock.  Too bad, because Bednar and Cassidy are very deserving.
Selke - dunno who the best defensive players are.  Karlsson (VGK)? 
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #918 on: April 18, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »
Coots will hopefully get a nomination for the Selke this year and I think Giroux should be getting one for MVP.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
Coots will hopefully get a nomination for the Selke this year and I think Giroux should be getting one for MVP.

I could see him bumping Kucherov.  MacKinnon led a team that had (I think this is what I saw) the 3rd biggest one year point increase in the history of the NHL.  Hall was almost 2x more in points than the next highest point-getter on the team.  I have to think those two are a lock for nominations - despite their respective 8th place finishes.  Almost all other playoff teams had some semblance of balance, without a single player that stands out as much as they do.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #920 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
What about Marc Andre Fleury for Hart?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hellholming

• EZBoard Elder
  • hellraisin'
« Reply #921 on: April 18, 2018, 10:18:05 AM »
if Vegas wins the cup, then yeah.

COME ON BRUINS!
Professional idiot.

Online pg1067

« Reply #922 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

Impressive sweep from the Knights, that's for sure.

Ugh...that was just depressing.  The thing of it is that I don't really feel like this was a situation in which the Kings crapped the bed.  Rather, I feel like all credit goes to Vegas.  They looked unstoppable.  At times, it reminded me of some of the early/mid-2000s games between the Kings and the Red Wings.  Most of the game would involve the Wings getting chance after chance and the Kings dumping and chasing and maybe getting a handful of scoring opportunities.  But the way Vegas played this series went beyond that.  They were fast and swarming and never seemed to lose energy or focus.  The Kings only gave up 7 goals in four games.  That's pretty damn good.  All of the teams that are up 2 games to 1 have given up more than 7 goals to their opponents in only 3 games.  But the Kings just couldn't score, so it really didn't matter how few goals they gave up.  When the Sharks finish dispatching the Sucks tonight, the next round between Vegas and San Jose should be really good.

Anyone shocked that it's Rinne, Vasilevsky and Hellebuyck for the Vezina?  I thought that Rask might've bumped Vas given the latter's sub-standard performance in the stretch, but I guess Rask was fairly ordinary in March as well.  Really tough year to narrow it down to 3, because Rask and Fleury were also very worthy candidates.

Predictions:
Hart - Hall, Kucherov, MacKinnon
Norris - Klingberg, Hedman, Josi
Calder - Barazel... doesn't matter who else, he's 100% lock.  Gourde should get a nomination.  Boesser might've if he hadn't gotten injured - still might get a nomination.
Adams - Gallant ... doesn't matter who else, he's a 100% lock.  Too bad, because Bednar and Cassidy are very deserving.
Selke - dunno who the best defensive players are.  Karlsson (VGK)? 

And whoever the Vegas GM is will win that award.

Drew Doughty is more deserving of the Norris than Roman Josi, and Anze Kopitar will be nominated for the Selke, as will Patrice Bergeron, because he always gets nominated, whether he deserves it or not.  Antti Raanta probably deserved a nomination for the Vezina, but he suffered from a crappy team in front of him and being in the Pacific time zone.  By comparison, Vasilevskiy -- 12th in GAA and tied for 8th in S% among goalies who played in at least 40 games -- benefited from being on a good east coast team.  The nominees should have been Rinne, Fleury and Raanta.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #923 on: April 18, 2018, 10:58:26 AM »
if Vegas wins the cup, then yeah.

COME ON BRUINS!

Considering voting is already in - as it should be so Playoffs don't influence the regular season awards - it won't matter.  I don't see him getting a Hart nomination.  That team was balanced as fuck - they had to be.

Fuck the Bruins.   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #924 on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »
 :lol

Chad, does our son like Hockey?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hellholming

• EZBoard Elder
  • hellraisin'
« Reply #925 on: April 18, 2018, 12:08:53 PM »

Fuck the Bruins.   :biggrin:
oh.. my dear sir.. You just made yourself a mortal enemy.
Professional idiot.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: April 18, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
:lol

Chad, does our son like Hockey?

Since when did you bear children of mine? WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME!?!?!?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: April 18, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
Hockey dads.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: April 18, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
jingle.son is a casual fan at best.  He's an arts kid - sports ain't his thing ... but he takes a mild interest in the Leafs success.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: April 18, 2018, 02:58:11 PM »
Brian's son if full blown brainwashed.  He'll get up on the weekend turn on the X-Box One and watch NHL highlights until his parents get up.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #930 on: April 18, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Sharks sweep the Ducks!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #931 on: April 18, 2018, 11:16:23 PM »
Yeah, that was quite surprising. The series seemed like an actual shark was facing off against a duck. Colorado is doing a hell of a lot better than I anticipated because tonight they came so close to tying up the series.  I'll be rooting for the Maple Leafs tomorrow because I'd love to see that series go to 7 games!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #932 on: April 19, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »
Yeah, that was quite surprising. The series seemed like an actual shark was facing off against a duck. Colorado is doing a hell of a lot better than I anticipated because tonight they came so close to tying up the series.  I'll be rooting for the Maple Leafs tomorrow because I'd love to see that series go to 7 games!

Colorado could just as easily be up 3-1 right now. The two games they lost by 1 goal were that close.

F’n Predators.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #933 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
Good win for the Pens last night!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #934 on: April 19, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »

They're just playing on another level than the Flyers.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #935 on: April 19, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »

They're just playing on another level than the Flyers.

Last night was the first time so far in the playoffs that I honestly thought they looked like a championship caliber team. There was a moment in the third period where they were just so sharp, shutting down every chance the Flyers had, transitions and passing was perfect, the team was just stellar from top to bottom.

All without Hornqvist.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: April 19, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
And Sid just passed Lemieux as the all-time leading playoff scorer for the Pens.  *He* is playing on another level too.  It's like he saved everything for the playoffs.

Online pg1067

« Reply #937 on: April 19, 2018, 08:54:00 AM »
Yeah, that was quite surprising. The series seemed like an actual shark was facing off against a duck.

:lol :lol :lol

Pretty much.  Anaheim getting outscored 16-4 in a four game sweep makes me feel just a teensy bit better about the Kings getting outscored 7-3 in a four game sweep.  At least all of the Kings' losses were one-goal games.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #938 on: April 19, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
And Sid just passed Lemieux as the all-time leading playoff scorer for the Pens.  *He* is playing on another level too.  It's like he saved everything for the playoffs.

Yup and Murray is now the fastest goalie to 25 playoff wins. Pretty impressive post season performer.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #939 on: April 19, 2018, 11:39:33 AM »
Yeah, that was quite surprising. The series seemed like an actual shark was facing off against a duck.

:lol :lol :lol

Pretty much.  Anaheim getting outscored 16-4 in a four game sweep makes me feel just a teensy bit better about the Kings getting outscored 7-3 in a four game sweep.  At least all of the Kings' losses were one-goal games.

I concur.  That particular game 4 between Sharks/Ducks, I wanted either the Ducks to get swept or for the Sharks to lose four in a row and choke away another 3-0 lead against a SoCal team in a playoff series.  Only those two options would made me feel a bit better about the Kings getting eliminated, so Ducks losing yesterday made me feel a bit better about the scenario.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #940 on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »
If the Kings are out I'm glad the Ducks are too.  SJS/VGK should be a good fight.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #941 on: April 19, 2018, 03:39:14 PM »
I was hoping to like Vegas when they were announced, and I would except I can't get past that name.  Same with Univ of Oregon.  I like their uniform ideas, but hate the name Ducks.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: April 20, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »
Good lord Colorado just got F’d. That goal was kicked in.....called no goal by the ref.....then reversed after the replay shows it was kicked in?

Fn Preds literally get near every call they need to get. It’s unreal and annoying as all hell.

And that 8th grade softball chanting crap their crowd does is Busch league. So annoying.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: April 20, 2018, 10:20:53 PM »
Great job Colorado.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: April 21, 2018, 05:11:44 AM »
Ryan O'Reilly over Bergeron as a Selke finalist?  Guess the league wants to spread the love.

Well, I've finally settled down after the Leafs loss the other night.  Got home late from business travel, and stayed up until 12:30 to watch the game.  I'd had a cup of coffee late in the evening to make sure I made it thru... well, that caffeine wasn't out of my system by the time I went to bed, so I slept like shit, and ended up tired and grumpy all day yesterday.  Those 2-on-1 goals were pathetically defended by the Leafs - particularly Zaitsev on Marchand's goal.  He looked like it was the first time he ever defended a 2-on-1.  Totally hung Andersen out to dry - Marchand had the entire net to shoot at.  Polak's wasn't much better.  Leafs had their chances, but couldn't bury them.  Reilly Nash was a beast on the face-offs.  Wonder what the lineup change is going to be with Kadri coming back.

Series is over - no way the Leafs win 3 in a row, having to take 2 out of those 3 at the TD Garden.  It's just a matter of time.