Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 96470 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #805 on: April 09, 2018, 06:36:20 PM »
I'm team Leafs. I empathize with the pangs of no championship in 51 years. And, I think that they have the team that could pull it off this playoffs. A bunch of good teams in it....but should they play their game they'll but just as tough to beat as any other team out there.

#anyonebutPreds

You are now my enemy. :lol

Don't sweat it Gary.  He's fresh of the DL... we can take him - with or without TAC.  I mean, how tough can a Disney fanboi really be?

*Looks for his McQuaid  sweater*

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:17 PM »
First Round Predictions:

Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
Hey Tim are you abandoning your team with the way they played the last six games?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
Hey Tim are you abandoning your team with the way they played the last six games?

I don't like the match up. At. All.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »
Though that cross my mind it's time to put up or shut up. This team has played great all year and they need to beat tough teams like Toronto to get further in the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2018, 03:52:53 PM »
First Round Predictions:

Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks

This is exactly what I would’ve called. Though I would flip a coin in the Ducks/Sharks series.

Which puts Pens/Caps as a 2nd round series for the third straight year. God I hope the Caps can get over that hump.

I’m gonna call Jets/Bolts for the finals.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: April 10, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »

Ducks-Sharks

This is exactly what I would’ve called. Though I would flip a coin in the Ducks/Sharks series.

Yeah, it's a pick 'em for sure. Easily the toughest choice of the 8 series.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #812 on: April 10, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
I would love to see the Jets go to the finals. I call that if the Jets go to the finals jjrock has to post a picture of himself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #813 on: April 10, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
As a hockey watcher since the early 80's, it just looks weird to see none of these teams in the playoffs:

St Louis Blues
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadians
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
NY Rangers
Chicago Blackhawks

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2018, 05:55:10 PM »
As a hockey watcher since the early 80's, it just looks weird to see none of these teams in the playoffs:

St Louis Blues
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadians
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
NY Rangers
Chicago Blackhawks

And as a guy whose first introduction to hockey was the Mighty Ducks movies (which is quite odd, since I'm a Kings fan), I'm surprised that all three California teams has been a relative fixture in the Stanley Cup playoffs this decade.  Also, I'm surprised that the Ducks (which was owned by Disney and was quite the laughing stock I hear in their first few years as a team, due to the Disney connection and the movies) can be quite the good/great team (and a team that can be quite a thorn to the Kings' side, not as big of a thorn like the Sharks, but a thorn nonetheless).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: April 10, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »

St Louis Blues
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadians
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
NY Rangers
Chicago Blackhawks

Throw the Islanders into that mix too.  I'd forgotten that they were the last team to win 3+ consecutive Cups.  If not for Steve Smith, surely the Oilers would've won 5-straight.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #816 on: April 11, 2018, 06:23:01 AM »
Hopefully the Devils' performance against Tampa in the regular season (3-0-0) is a sign of things to come in the playoffs. Got my ticket for game three at The Rock :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: April 11, 2018, 06:33:16 AM »
Sweet Bill!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #818 on: April 11, 2018, 06:36:56 AM »
Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #819 on: April 11, 2018, 07:00:37 AM »
My picks:

Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #820 on: April 11, 2018, 07:02:29 AM »

St Louis Blues
Detroit Red Wings
Montreal Canadians
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
NY Rangers
Chicago Blackhawks

Only 2 of the Original Six made it in, and they play each other in the first round.  There's a possibility of a Columbus v. Minnesota final.  Up is down, down is up!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #821 on: April 11, 2018, 07:18:04 AM »
Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks

Picking against the Flyers Nick?!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #822 on: April 11, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Lightning-Devils
Bruins-Maple Leafs
Capitals-Blue Jackets
Penguins-Flyers

Predators-Avalanche
Jets-Wild
Golden Knights-Kings
Ducks-Sharks

Picking against the Flyers Nick?!

Honestly, it would be another story IF Elliot had more time back from injury OR had Mrazek played great prior to Elliot's return, but the regular season shows that the Penguins have scoring depth we'll have trouble keeping up with, and you combine that with questionable goaltending and I don't know if we'll be able to keep enough pucks out of the net. Going to be a high scoring series I'd say.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #823 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:05 AM »
Honestly, it would be another story IF Elliot had more time back from injury OR had Mrazek played great prior to Elliot's return, but the regular season shows that the Penguins have scoring depth we'll have trouble keeping up with, and you combine that with questionable goaltending and I don't know if we'll be able to keep enough pucks out of the net. Going to be a high scoring series I'd say.

I agree. It's definitely going to be a high scoring series. The Pens have gaps going into the playoffs this year, but I feel like they do match up very well against the Flyers. I think the Pens will win this series in 5 or maybe 6. The key for the Pens will be if Murray can step up his play in the post season (like he has in the past).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: April 11, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
I believe the only real contenders for the cup will be the ones with goalies who have demonstrated prolonged periods of excellence.  And that would mean Rinne, Vasilevskiy, Rask, Hellebuyck vault their teams to the top... maybe Fleury, but I'm not feeling it from the Knights overall.  I think they peaked, and are running out of gas.  Andersen is a wild card - he can be spectacular, but also be simply overwhelmed with the number of shots the Leafs give up.

Ducks, Devils and Caps have their backups starting ffs.  Can't see Bobrovsky carrying the Jackets for 16 wins.  Jones, Murray, Dubnyk and Quick have been average (at best).  Reimer - please.  Whoever the Flyers use... unlikely.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #825 on: April 11, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
It is worth noting that the last time the Flyers came within 1 goal of a game 7 chance at the cup they rotated through 3 goalies throughout the playoffs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #826 on: April 11, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
I believe the only real contenders for the cup will be the ones with goalies who have demonstrated prolonged periods of excellence.  And that would mean Rinne, Vasilevskiy, Rask, Hellebuyck vault their teams to the top... maybe Fleury, but I'm not feeling it from the Knights overall.  I think they peaked, and are running out of gas.  Andersen is a wild card - he can be spectacular, but also be simply overwhelmed with the number of shots the Leafs give up.

Ducks, Devils and Caps have their backups starting ffs.  Can't see Bobrovsky carrying the Jackets for 16 wins.  Jones, Murray, Dubnyk and Quick have been average (at best).  Reimer - please.  Whoever the Flyers use... unlikely.

Then the last two cups don't make much sense  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #827 on: April 11, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
And as a guy whose first introduction to hockey was the Mighty Ducks movies (which is quite odd, since I'm a Kings fan), I'm surprised that all three California teams has been a relative fixture in the Stanley Cup playoffs this decade.  Also, I'm surprised that the Ducks (which was owned by Disney and was quite the laughing stock I hear in their first few years as a team, due to the Disney connection and the movies) can be quite the good/great team (and a team that can be quite a thorn to the Kings' side, not as big of a thorn like the Sharks, but a thorn nonetheless).

Find and watch the opening ceremony for the first Mightily Sucks game back in 1993.  I was at that game because my roommates and I had a mini plan for that first season.  We were all Kings fans, but the idea of an NHL team in OC was appealing at first.  Anyway, the opening ceremony at that first game was so cringy and bad that it's hilarious (especially "The Iceman," who was fired after that first game).  It really set the tone for the team being a laughing stock.  Unfortunately, they overcame that to a large extent in 2007 and have been a large pain in the ass ever since (as have their fans).  Of course...2014.

I believe the only real contenders for the cup will be the ones with goalies who have demonstrated prolonged periods of excellence. . . .

Jones, Murray, Dubnyk and Quick have been average (at best).

You mean the guy who won the Jennings Trophy while backstopping the league's best defensive team?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #828 on: April 11, 2018, 11:28:44 AM »
It is worth noting that the last time the Flyers came within 1 goal of a game 7 chance at the cup they rotated through 3 goalies throughout the playoffs.

It's also worth noting that Backlund played 1 fucking minute!  That's hardly a 3-goalie rotation.  And just because Boucher was a shitty 6-6 hardly means it was a "rotation" - you guys thankfully had Leighton play a bit better than Boucher.

Other than last year, name me a single Stanley Cup winner who didn't ride one goalie the whole way?  Over this millennium, 11 winners had their goalies start every game, and log all 16 wins.  Of the 5 others, 13 wins was the minimum - Bishop, and only because he was injured for a few games.  I can't think of a single Cup winner that had shared goal-tending - except because of injury.  Fuhr/Moog had an 11/4 split on the wins once, but I can't recall if that was because of an injury to Fuhr.

@ mikey... Murray had 15 wins 2 years ago.  I'd say Sullivan rode him hard.  ;)

@ pg... Jennings award is a token gift.  I didn't even know the criteria until I looked it up!  Pretty meaningless individual award imo.  Why doesn't the d-men with the highest +/- on the lowest goals-against team get anything?  Granted, I don't see a lot of the Kings' games, and maybe his stats look average (particularly the w-l) because of the team in front of him.  Perhaps it would have been more accurate to have made the same comment about Quick as I did Bobrovsky... can't see him carrying that LAK team to 16 wins.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #829 on: April 11, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »

Yup, he did. That's not what you said. You said -

I believe the only real contenders for the cup will be the ones with goalies who have demonstrated prolonged periods of excellence.

So my comment was that outside of two postseason runs, Murray hasn't really shown himself to be excellent for long periods of time. To be honest, it's my primary concern with the Pens in the playoffs this year, Murray has been up and down all year and I fear he won't be consistent enough to string together the wins they will need.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: April 11, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »
I have my doubts on Rask.  He tends to let up a soft goal when an elite goal will make the big saves.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: April 11, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

Yup, he did. That's not what you said. You said -

I believe the only real contenders for the cup will be the ones with goalies who have demonstrated prolonged periods of excellence.

So my comment was that outside of two postseason runs, Murray hasn't really shown himself to be excellent for long periods of time. To be honest, it's my primary concern with the Pens in the playoffs this year, Murray has been up and down all year and I fear he won't be consistent enough to string together the wins they will need.

Fair enough... I meant to imply that my beliefs for this year are that there's a particular need for top-shelf goaltending.  In the recent past, good/very good goaltending could get it done (Crawford, Luongo, Jones, Niemi, Fleury/Murray), but I don't think that'll cut it this year.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #832 on: April 11, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
Fair enough... I meant to imply that my beliefs for this year are that there's a particular need for top-shelf goaltending.  In the recent past, good/very good goaltending could get it done (Crawford, Luongo, Jones, Niemi, Fleury/Murray), but I don't think that'll cut it this year.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I don't know, we will see. Like I said, Murray is my primary concern for the Pens, so I guess I might agree with you there.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #833 on: April 11, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »
4-0 Penguins to start. They’re making a statement
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #834 on: April 11, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »
Well, the good news is that 1 game down is 1 game down whether you lose 1-0 or 10-0. At this point I almost hope for the latter to wake the Flyers the fuck up and make the rest of this series competitive.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #835 on: April 11, 2018, 06:21:26 PM »
5-0 and NOW they pull Elliott?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #836 on: April 11, 2018, 06:46:48 PM »
That score made it easy to flip over to Jets/Wild.  And the Jets just broke the scoreless tie late in the 2nd...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #837 on: April 11, 2018, 07:29:17 PM »
That Laine goal was ridiculous. I didn't realize he was still only 19.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #838 on: April 11, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
Well that went well. Strong first game by the Pens, can’t slow down at all next game. Gotta keep that tempo up.

Beautiful hat trick for the captain  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #839 on: April 11, 2018, 08:46:33 PM »
Wow... Elliott was a sieve.  Those were a couple of very soft goals.  Can't get much worse for the Flyers.

Nice win by the Jets.