Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 96440 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #735 on: April 05, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Holy crap the Metro is bunched up!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #736 on: April 05, 2018, 04:18:35 PM »
Scholars maintain that there is no correct arrangement of words that could ever accurately depict nor describe the true futility of the Blues franchise.

Without faith, without hope, there can be no peace of mind.

I don't think he's got truth or love at this point either.

Definitely lacking all of those things when it comes to the Blues
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #737 on: April 05, 2018, 10:42:39 PM »
So, based on the posts here, if I were to sum up the essence of the Blues franchise in one single play from their entire history, the most accurate would be a play from Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference Semi-Finals, when Chris Pronger skated in on Steve Yzerman to take his knee out and instead blew out his own ACL and missed the rest of the series and almost the entire next season.  Does that describe the general futility of the Blues franchise?

Yeah, that unfortunate incident sure doomed the Blues in that series against Detroit. I think that was also the game where a Blues player scored a goal that the referees didn't call, and the play went on only for him to score again 30 seconds later  The Blues were taking penalties left and right but they sure were playing with more intensity and urgency than they are right now.  I don't think I'm even going to watch the game tomorrow because having to watch all those Blackhawks fans sing "da da da... hey, hey, hey... goodbye" to the Blues, in addition to hearing that obnoxious goal celebration song, would be a terrible way to start a weekend!

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #738 on: April 06, 2018, 12:40:45 AM »
Ah, thanks to the Sharks, it turns out the Blues don't have to win tomorrow after all. Good god, how could both the Blues and the Avalanche be choking this bad?
It was nice to see that the Sedin twins had a really magical farewell for their last game in Vancouver

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: April 06, 2018, 02:43:07 AM »
It was nice to see that the Sedin twins had a really magical farewell for their last game in Vancouver

No shit... you couldn't have scripted it better in a movie! 

'scuse me for a moment, seems I've got something in my eye.   :'(
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #740 on: April 06, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »

Yeah, just watched the highlights of that game, such a cool ending.

As for the Flyers, thankfully they pulled it out and got the win last night so their magic number is 1 and the Panthers have 2 game remaining. So the only way the Panthers get in and boot the Flyers out is if the Flyers lose their game in regulation and Panthers win both of their remaining games. Not solidified yet, but a good spot to be in.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #741 on: April 06, 2018, 07:38:36 AM »

Vintage Sedins, that's for sure.  It's a shame they didn't achieve wider recognition.  Easily the two best players to play for the Canucks.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #742 on: April 06, 2018, 08:53:27 AM »
Thank you Phil Kessel you beautiful man.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
What happened in the Sedins’ last game?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: April 06, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »
What happened in the Sedins’ last game?

Last game in Vancouver.

They connected for a goal in regulation and then again for the OT winner.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #745 on: April 06, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »
So, based on the posts here, if I were to sum up the essence of the Blues franchise in one single play from their entire history, the most accurate would be a play from Game 4 of the 2002 Western Conference Semi-Finals, when Chris Pronger skated in on Steve Yzerman to take his knee out and instead blew out his own ACL and missed the rest of the series and almost the entire next season.  Does that describe the general futility of the Blues franchise?

Yeah, that unfortunate incident sure doomed the Blues in that series against Detroit. I think that was also the game where a Blues player scored a goal that the referees didn't call, and the play went on only for him to score again 30 seconds later  The Blues were taking penalties left and right but they sure were playing with more intensity and urgency than they are right now.  I don't think I'm even going to watch the game tomorrow because having to watch all those Blackhawks fans sing "da da da... hey, hey, hey... goodbye" to the Blues, in addition to hearing that obnoxious goal celebration song, would be a terrible way to start a weekend!

This is all karma for what happened in the first round in 1998.  Let's call it the Curse of Geoff Courtnall.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #746 on: April 06, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
In other news, for the second time in ten days, a Kings player scored four goals in a game.  Dustin Brown got the hat trick in regulation and then scored the game winner less than 30 seconds into overtime!  Brown is playing as well as he did in 2012 (when he and Kopitar tied for the playoff scoring lead), and he really looks like he's on a mission.  Same with Drew Doughty.

The Kings and Anaheim are now fighting for third place in the Pacific Division and the first wild card spot (with a slight chance of passing San Jose for second place in the Pacific).  Unfortunately, Anaheim has a game in hand.  Dallas will be at the Pond tonight, so GO STARS!  Whoever gets the first wild card will play Vegas in the first round and the other team will play San Jose.

It's down to St. Louis and Colorado for the second wild card spot, with the Blue having a game in hand, and first round date with Nashville.

That leaves Winnipeg and Minnesota locked in for the Central Division 2 v. 3 matchup.

It looks like lots of stuff is still up in the air in the east (although mostly positioning).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #747 on: April 06, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Yes, only thing up in the air in the East non-positioning is if it's the Flyers or Panthers that get in.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »
It's down to St. Louis and Colorado for the second wild card spot, with the Blue having a game in hand, and first round date with Nashville.

You underestimate the Blues ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of certain victory. I would not surprise me one little bit if they were to lose these last two games. In fact, I'm near positive they'll get creamed tonight in Chicago....leaving them to find a unique way to lose the game in Colorado. Because, I'll wager in that game that it won't be Colorado who beats the Blues....but the Blues will find a way to do all they can NOT to win that game. That's how little faith I have in them right now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #749 on: April 06, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »

You underestimate the Blues ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of certain victory. I would not surprise me one little bit if they were to lose these last two games. In fact, I'm near positive they'll get creamed tonight in Chicago....leaving them to find a unique way to lose the game in Colorado. Because, I'll wager in that game that it won't be Colorado who beats the Blues....but the Blues will find a way to do all they can NOT to win that game. That's how little faith I have in them right now.

I was saying that it's down to STL and COL for the first round date with Nashville.  And the Blues do have a game in hand.

I just looked at the Blues season schedule.  Eight in a row (and 8-2-1 in the month of April) before dropping the last four games.  Brutal.

As a fellow fan of a 67 expansion team, I feel for you guys a little bit, but then again, there's that whole Geoff Courtnall thing, so....

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: April 06, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »

I was saying that it's down to STL and COL for the first round date with Nashville.  And the Blues do have a game in hand.

I just looked at the Blues season schedule.  Eight in a row (and 8-2-1 in the month of April) before dropping the last four games.  Brutal.

As a fellow fan of a 67 expansion team, I feel for you guys a little bit, but then again, there's that whole Geoff Courtnall thing, so....

As far as I'm concerned the Courtnall ordeal was deserved  :biggrin:  But yeah.....they went on a pretty good streak there and had the ball rolling....then have crapped the bed the past few games....outside of the lambasting they took from Arizona, the other three were very winnable and we did all we could to make sure we lost.

It's been a Jekyl and Hyde team of streaks this season which has made it either really fun to watch or just flat out brutal. I have zero confidence if they do squeak in the playoffs that they make any noise. Especially heading into a President Cup Nashville team.

The only thing that I could hope for is they hit one of their hot streaks and the pressure on Nashville that they now face as the team that 'should' win the cup works against them. I mean, no matter who Nashville faces they will be the favorite at this point so all the pressure is on them....especially in the first round. So, whoever faces them could use that to their advantage as a 'nothing to lose' scenario and just go balls out. Stranger things have happened.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #751 on: April 06, 2018, 12:52:10 PM »
As far as I'm concerned the Courtnall ordeal was deserved  :biggrin:  But yeah.....they went on a pretty good streak there and had the ball rolling....then have crapped the bed the past few games....outside of the lambasting they took from Arizona, the other three were very winnable and we did all we could to make sure we lost.

It's been a Jekyl and Hyde team of streaks this season which has made it either really fun to watch or just flat out brutal.

Not to live in the past too much...I was at the game when Courtnall ran Jamie Storr.  Kings were cruising, and then that happened and Sean O'Donnell (who now works on the Kings pre- and post-game shows) committed the second dumbest penalty in Kings history (don't get me started on Marty McSorley).  I have NEVER felt the energy drain from a building the way it did after the Blues scored four goals on the major PP against our concussed goalie.  It's probably how Devils fans felt after Steve Bernier took the major penalty (except that was game 6 of the SCF, although it was much earlier in the game).

Anyway...streaky seasons are terrible to endure.  We've all been there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: April 06, 2018, 04:51:25 PM »
LA wasn't going win that series anyway; the Courtnall play just sped things up. :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: April 06, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
There go the Blues.  Toying with their fans' emotions.

Gary, you called it.  Tie/Win and you're in tomorrow night!  Am I right in that Col needs a regular time win?  Even an OT win doesn't help them, because St. L would still hold a 1 game ROW win advantage over them.

Crazy scenario... if the Flyers lose to the Rangers by 2 goals, and the Panthers win both remaining games in a shoot-out, then the two of them play in a 1-game head-to-head matchup to see who goes to the playoffs (the 4th tie-breaker!).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #754 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:18 AM »
Yes, the Blues make it with a win tonight or OT loss.  Colorado has to win in regulation, which could make it interesting if the game is tied late in regulation, as they would likely pull the goalie in a tie game.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #755 on: April 07, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »
Giroux is the first Flyer in 20+ years to get over 100 points in a season, and with 20 minutes to play it looks like the Flyers will be going to the playoffs. :hat

Offline pg1067

« Reply #756 on: April 07, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
Dallas did the Kings no favors last night, so we have to get some help from Arizona tonight.

Go KINGS!

Go Coyotes....

Offline pg1067

« Reply #757 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:53 PM »
Aaaaand....the Flyers earn themselves the final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #758 on: April 07, 2018, 03:53:35 PM »
Kings, Sharks and Ducks are in the playoffs.  California represent!  :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #759 on: April 07, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
B's win tomorrow,  get ready Bill!

B's lose tomorrow get ready Chad!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2018, 08:31:00 PM »

Whatever happens, get ready Joe! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: April 07, 2018, 08:35:58 PM »

Carolina did you guys a solid. Too bad Florida has nothing to play for tomorrow.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: April 07, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
Blues just got fucking dicked on an onside call that was offside by an inch. So fucking pissed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #763 on: April 07, 2018, 08:40:43 PM »
Darren Pang is great, but he was a total homer on that one.  It was very close, but I don't think you could say 100% that it was offsides, so that call on the ice has to stand.  The bottom line is that the Avs look like a team that wants to make the playoffs, and the Blues look ready to go home.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: April 07, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »
The bottom line is that the Avs look like a team that wants to make the playoffs, and the Blues look ready to go home.

That's the game that I'm watching.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #765 on: April 07, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
Blue Jackets lose... Devils lose...

Flyers have the first shot at denying the Penguins the three-peat.

We have not played are best against he Penguins this year, and we got swept in the season series, but come playoffs I think we'll hang just fine IF we can get decent goaltending from someone. Going to be one hell of a series no matter what.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: April 07, 2018, 09:04:32 PM »
Darren Pang is great, but he was a total homer on that one.  It was very close, but I don't think you could say 100% that it was offsides, so that call on the ice has to stand.  The bottom line is that the Avs look like a team that wants to make the playoffs, and the Blues look ready to go home.

You’re insane. That was 100% offside. Clear white between puck and line. Horrid call in a game like this.

Up until that point Blues had the momentum in the period. That changed everything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: April 07, 2018, 09:06:13 PM »
Haha, I might be. :lol :lol

But what kind of video was that?  This is 2018, yet the quality of the replay was like watching a VHS tape from the 80s.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
Allen is labouring. Wonder where he's hurting?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: April 07, 2018, 09:26:27 PM »
Allen is labouring. Wonder where he's hurting?

It’s probably his back from carrying the team this game.