Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93561 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2018, 07:42:37 PM »
Man, what is it about the Devils that's inspiring people to act like shitheads lately :lol First it was Marchand and now Burrows just got ten games for throwing knees into Taylor Hall's head last night like he was an MMA fighter.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »
It's the smell from the turnpike! It makes me rage as well! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2018, 10:18:14 PM »
What a dumpster fire the Rangers are. They have a bunch of guys who are overpaid and a coach who has no guts. They need to make a lot of changes soon, but I’m sure they’ll make the wrong ones like getting rid of guys who actually contribute. And I swear that if they trade Zuccarello, they’ll be losing a lifelong fan as well. He’s the heart and soul of this team right now and their true captain. If he goes, I go.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2018, 10:29:00 PM »
What a dumpster fire the Rangers are. They have a bunch of guys who are overpaid and a coach who has no guts. They need to make a lot of changes soon, but I’m sure they’ll make the wrong ones like getting rid of guys who actually contribute. And I swear that if they trade Zuccarello, they’ll be losing a lifelong fan as well. He’s the heart and soul of this team right now and their true captain. If he goes, I go.

Let’s have a two for one and throw the Blues in that fire as well. Zero heart. Zero grit. Zero desperation to earn points in arguably the toughest division where points are at a premium.

Players have abandoned the team game and are trying to do it all alone. It’s a mess. Inside a week we will be fighting for a wild card spot.....and even if they do make it into the playoffs they’ll just be a warm up for a true contender.

But we do have some great talent in the pipeline that will be up soon so good things to come. Just got to take the yearly kick to the balls again to get there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »

Let’s have a two for one and throw the Blues in that fire as well. Zero heart. Zero grit. Zero desperation to earn points in arguably the toughest division where points are at a premium.

Players have abandoned the team game and are trying to do it all alone. It’s a mess. Inside a week we will be fighting for a wild card spot.....and even if they do make it into the playoffs they’ll just be a warm up for a true contender.

But we do have some great talent in the pipeline that will be up soon so good things to come. Just got to take the yearly kick to the balls again to get there.

The Blues are the Rangers of the Western Conference. Funnily enough I quite like the Blues, although I will apologize to you in advance because if it comes to me turning my back on the Rangers, the Blackhawks would be my team.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: February 08, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »

I'm shocked to be honest.  hey were such a powerhouse a few years ago.  hell, I'm shocked how well the B's are playing with the youth they have!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: February 08, 2018, 08:01:49 AM »

The Blues are the Rangers of the Western Conference. Funnily enough I quite like the Blues, although I will apologize to you in advance because if it comes to me turning my back on the Rangers, the Blackhawks would be my team.

No apologies needed. As much as I despise the Hawks you can't deny the run they had. Although now it's catching up to them.

My issue with the Blues is when the got off to that hot start this year we had a couple key veterans that were out so these young guys were in...fighting and playing well. We have two vets in particular come back....Berglund and Boumeester and the Blues are 15-14 with them in the lineup. Now, a portion of that is when Jaden Schwartz was out as well and he's a pretty key player BUT...one player does not make a team.

Fact is, our leadership on our team is non existent. David Backes when he was here and Captain would get in guys faces at practice and in the media if they weren't doing there job. I like Petrangelo but he seems to be Mr. Nice guy with all the right cliche quotes rather than holding some feet to the fire.

The Blues are one of four teams who have made the playoffs eight years in a row. As much as it pains me to say....i think they may need to miss the playoffs in hopes of it wakes a few of them up and makes them hungry again. We will have some younger players that will make the roster and it'll be a more energized team.

The only scenario I see working this season for the Blues is that somehow....they get their  :censored together and spend the remainder of the season fighting for a playoff spot ala the Preds from last year. Every game is like a playoff game so they'd hit the playoffs in full stride and ride that momentum out. I don't see that happening with what I've seen from this team over the past three weeks...but, it could I guess.

The more likely scenario is the Preds make it to the Cup again....probably win this time.....and my mother  :censored brother in law NEVER lets me hear the end of it. It'll be that special parting gift from the Blues just to twist the knife a bit more.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #357 on: February 08, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »

No apologies needed. As much as I despise the Hawks you can't deny the run they had. Although now it's catching up to them.

My issue with the Blues is when the got off to that hot start this year we had a couple key veterans that were out so these young guys were in...fighting and playing well. We have two vets in particular come back....Berglund and Boumeester and the Blues are 15-14 with them in the lineup. Now, a portion of that is when Jaden Schwartz was out as well and he's a pretty key player BUT...one player does not make a team.

Fact is, our leadership on our team is non existent. David Backes when he was here and Captain would get in guys faces at practice and in the media if they weren't doing there job. I like Petrangelo but he seems to be Mr. Nice guy with all the right cliche quotes rather than holding some feet to the fire.

The Blues are one of four teams who have made the playoffs eight years in a row. As much as it pains me to say....i think they may need to miss the playoffs in hopes of it wakes a few of them up and makes them hungry again. We will have some younger players that will make the roster and it'll be a more energized team.

The only scenario I see working this season for the Blues is that somehow....they get their  :censored together and spend the remainder of the season fighting for a playoff spot ala the Preds from last year. Every game is like a playoff game so they'd hit the playoffs in full stride and ride that momentum out. I don't see that happening with what I've seen from this team over the past three weeks...but, it could I guess.

The more likely scenario is the Preds make it to the Cup again....probably win this time.....and my mother  :censored brother in law NEVER lets me hear the end of it. It'll be that special parting gift from the Blues just to twist the knife a bit more.

To be fair, there aren't many (any? I can't think of any off the top of my head) captains anymore that go into the media and call people out, unless that person is themselves. That's just not the way to do it anymore, because then it becomes an unneeded controversy. I don't think anyone would argue when I say that Sid is one of the best captains in the game, but his quotes read like a script from a robot, that's just what we get in the media.

However, we don't know what they are like in the dressing room. I don't see a guy like Sid being very vocal in the room, just his presence and focus show the other guys how they should be acting as well. Maybe Petro is like that in the room, sets an example and when he actually does speak everyone listens, or maybe he gets into the room and kicks garbage cans and makes guys accountable for their mistakes, who knows?

Sorry, I don't want it so seem like I'm picking you out, I just have a thing about people judging players on their media personas. Maybe it's true, but I think it is impossible to know without being in a dressing room.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #358 on: February 08, 2018, 08:59:00 AM »

To be fair, there aren't many (any? I can't think of any off the top of my head) captains anymore that go into the media and call people out, unless that person is themselves. That's just not the way to do it anymore, because then it becomes an unneeded controversy. I don't think anyone would argue when I say that Sid is one of the best captains in the game, but his quotes read like a script from a robot, that's just what we get in the media.

However, we don't know what they are like in the dressing room. I don't see a guy like Sid being very vocal in the room, just his presence and focus show the other guys how they should be acting as well. Maybe Petro is like that in the room, sets an example and when he actually does speak everyone listens, or maybe he gets into the room and kicks garbage cans and makes guys accountable for their mistakes, who knows?

Sorry, I don't want it so seem like I'm picking you out, I just have a thing about people judging players on their media personas. Maybe it's true, but I think it is impossible to know without being in a dressing room.

There were only a handful of times that Backes would say something in the media and he ALWAYS included himself in the comment. He never threw a teammate under the bus but anyone with any common sense knew who/what he was talking about.

BUT, there were plenty of rumors/stories etc. about how he was in the locker room....at practices and quite simply.....he wouldn't tolerate the BS.

Right now....there is a ton of BS going on with the Blues. Tarasenko seems to think he's Sergie Federov and can play an entire shift on his own and go down and score. He can't. And he's turning the puck over non stop because of it. There are multiple players that aren't on the 'team' page who are playing an individual game right now.

On top of the fact we're hamstrung by 'older' veteran contracts that aren't producing. Yadda Yadda Yadda. It's the same ol' crap, different year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #359 on: February 08, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »
A great leader...

...and quite handsome! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Man, what is it about the Devils that's inspiring people to act like shitheads lately :lol First it was Marchand and now Burrows just got ten games for throwing knees into Taylor Hall's head last night like he was an MMA fighter.
Couldn't be happier to lose Burrows for 10 games, I wish it was more games that he was suspended for  :lol

I don't think I've seen a fanbase happier to have one of their players suspended

Also, props to the Rangers for being so transparent about what they plan on doing for the deadline and the offseason. This will go a long way for them
https://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2018/2/8/16992070/new-york-rangers-trade-rumors-fire-sale-rebuilding-rick-nash-ryan-mcdonagh-2018
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #361 on: February 08, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »
Bold

I heard rumours of them renting out Nash and/or Mcdonagh only then to sign them as FA's and bring them back next year.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #362 on: February 09, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
Henrik Zetterberg only scored his 7th goal tonight? Is that right? WTF??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: February 10, 2018, 03:27:04 AM »
Maybe he'll get his 8th in DC when I get my annual dosage of seeing the Winged Wheels in person on Sunday.  To say that the atmosphere for Red Wings-Capitals games has changed these last five years would be an understatement.  I'm hoping it doesn't take five years for Detroit to be relevant again.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #364 on: February 10, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »
As much of a mess as the Blues have looked at times in the last two months, they are still 6th in the league in points right now. :tup :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: February 10, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
As much of a mess as the Blues have looked at times in the last two months, they are still 6th in the league in points right now. :tup :tup

They’ve looked so good at times and like a Jr. league team at others. Would love to see them hit the playoffs in full stride 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: February 11, 2018, 08:40:17 AM »
Tim/King... that's gotta sting - regular time loss to Buffalo of all teams.  Buffalo!  lolololol

Leafs v Bolts tomorrow.  Hope it's a good one.  3-0 so far on this 5-game homestand.  I'm kinda liking the Leafs position... yeah, the Bs and Bolts have games in hand, but they have to play those games, and the Leafs will have a (quantity-wise) softer schedule coming in.  Hopefully that's a good thing.

Looks like Colorado has come back to reality.  I wonder if Chicago will be a 'seller' come the trade deadline.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: February 11, 2018, 12:08:32 PM »
Lack of focus.   Can't take a night off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: February 11, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
So on top of a phantom slash penalty call against Boumeester against Crosby, a blatant too many men on the ice on the Penguins that wasn’t called.....they reverse a ‘high stick’ goal for the Blues that was right at bar level (if that were Crosby it’s still a goal) and now the Pens go up 2-1 instead of the Blues.

Just another game against the Pens....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: February 11, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »
Another freebie hook given to the Penguins. Would love to have a bit of that favoritism

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #370 on: February 11, 2018, 12:57:24 PM »
Another freebie hook given to the Penguins. Would love to have a bit of that favoritism

:lol I was actually surprised they reversed that goal on the high stick call, but obviously they saw it clearly enough.

Good game though, much closer than the final indicated.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2018, 01:01:24 PM »

:lol I was actually surprised they reversed that goal on the high stick call, but obviously they saw it clearly enough.

Good game though, much closer than the final indicated.

For playing their third game in four days the Blues played good and the game was much better than the score indicates. Would just love to have some even officiating. I mean, when the Pens are now 11-1 over the past couple years when Hebert is the Ref.....c’mon. Some blatant missed calls ‘for’ the Pens and a couple head scratchers called against the Blues.

Not blaming the loss on the horrible officiating. But it’s tough enough to beat the Pens straight up....throw in favorable officiating and it becomes even tougher.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
^ well hold up, the Blues did have more power plays than the Pens, so they had their chances, Murray played great and stole that game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »
^ well hold up, the Blues did have more power plays than the Pens, so they had their chances, Murray played great and stole that game.

Sure. And on one of those PP’s when it was 2-1’Pens,  Gunnerson was hooked...fell over (right in front of Hebert) that was glaring and would have put us on a 5-3 for over a minute. Game changing momentum potentially. It was a no call that actually led to a short handed chance.

Murray did steal that game, ill agree with that. But that’s nothing new for an opposing goalie to stifle  the Blues. They’re pretty good at making opposing goalies look great.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #374 on: February 11, 2018, 01:16:05 PM »

Sure. And on one of those PP’s when it was 2-1’Pens,  Gunnerson was hooked...fell over (right in front of Hebert) that was glaring and would have put us on a 5-3 for over a minute. Game changing momentum potentially. It was a no call that actually led to a short handed chance.

Murray did steal that game, ill agree with that. But that’s nothing new for an opposing goalie to stifle  the Blues. They’re pretty good at making opposing goalies look great.

Yup, I’ll definitely give you that, that’s the one big non-call of the game that sticks out to me. Rust kinda grabbed his jersey from behind and tugged.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: February 11, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »

Yup, I’ll definitely give you that, that’s the one big non-call of the game that sticks out to me. Rust kinda grabbed his jersey from behind and tugged.

Great teams over come that type of thing. The Blues unfortunately seem to be doomed to forever teeter on the cusp of really good and ‘great’.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #376 on: February 11, 2018, 01:34:54 PM »
I hear ya. That said, I do think the Blues can make a run this year. Nashville is overrated, as are the Jets. Even though they are playing great, it’s still hard to imagine the Knights making a deep run (maybe I’m wrong on that) - either way I think it shakes down to some very winnable matchups for the Blues in the post season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
I hear ya. That said, I do think the Blues can make a run this year. Nashville is overrated, as are the Jets. Even though they are playing great, it’s still hard to imagine the Knights making a deep run (maybe I’m wrong on that) - either way I think it shakes down to some very winnable matchups for the Blues in the post season.

Would love to see it. It’s all about how you’re playing entering the playoffs and if you can get your game together. Nashville proved that last year.

It’s gonna be tough to get in though. Pretty tough division. Can’t afford to leave too many points out there.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:27 PM »

Disagree on both those fronts.  Nashville has the best top-4 d-men in the league, and it isn't even close, and Rinne can still steal a game ... he did last night, and almost did it the game before against the Leafs.  Re: the Jets... if Hellebucyk continues to play as well as he has, the Jets are legit.  Though, it could just be a flash-in-the-pan season for him... ala Talbot and Dubnyk last year.  They've got a solid top-6 forward rotation that can put the biscuit in the basket quite easily.

The Knights are still an enigma to me.  How the hell do they have the record they have?!?!?!  Gallant has instilled some rock-solid fundamentals into that team.

But, as is the case with the NHL, all it takes is to get an invite to the dance, and then anyone can take home the crown.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #379 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Eichel out again indefinitely with a high ankle sprain, this time his other ankle. He just can't catch a break.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: February 11, 2018, 05:07:56 PM »
Chad, I have a buddy who has season tickets to the Knights. He grew up next to me and we are good buds.  He's out there because he's a professional poker player.

He's always sending me tweets from the golden Knights.  Their Twitter account is hilarious.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: February 12, 2018, 08:13:00 PM »
Northeastern wins the Beanpot for the first time in 30 years!
Congrats!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 12, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »
The Leafs nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory - blowing a 3-0 lead, but ended up holding on to get the regular time win against the Bolts.  :fistpump:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #383 on: February 13, 2018, 12:08:27 AM »
Eichel out again indefinitely with a high ankle sprain, this time his other ankle. He just can't catch a break.

But he can catch a sprain.

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #384 on: February 13, 2018, 08:41:51 PM »
This game went from "we are kicking the Predators butt in Nashville" to "I'll be happy to at least get a point." :facepalm: :lol