Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93549 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »
Nice OT win by the Blues.  :hat

Yeah. That'd have been a tough loss after playing such a great game.

Thank you Blues for ruining the Penguins season opener.

:lol Believe me, I'm cool with winning two cups in a row and losing the season opener. I think us Pens fans will live.

Blues did deserve to win that game, IMO, good on them for closing it out in OT.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
Losing to the Penguins in Game 7 Double OT in the Eastern Finals, it feels good to see them lose both games to start the season and one of them being 10-1. I have no clue what happened there, Niemi didn’t look good and Murray, for good reason, looked tired.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2017, 08:35:56 AM »
Losing to the Penguins in Game 7 Double OT in the Eastern Finals, it feels good to see them lose both games to start the season and one of them being 10-1. I have no clue what happened there, Niemi didn’t look good and Murray, for good reason, looked tired.

Yeah rough game last night. It's hard to analyze a lot from 2 games but so far I'd say this - Niemi and Murray have to be better.

Murray has been my big concern going into this season, I'm still not sold on the guy being a work-horse, nailed on, number 1 goalie that will give you 60 starts a year. He has never, since Juniors, done that successfully yet. Faced with the expansion draft, the Pens did what they had to do this off season and let Flower go, it was the right decision, but sometimes you come to regret even those decisions.

Second thing, I haven't seen the same or similar systems that the Pens found success with over the last couple years in these first two games. The D are trying to create offense but are forgetting about playing defense. If Hunwick doesn't start playing better, he will get benched.

The interesting thing though, is that the "weakness" everyone has been talking about with the Pens going into this season hasn't been one - third line center. We lost Bonino, and weren't able to make a deal before the season started. McKegg has been fine there and will be until they can find someone else. People forget Bonino wasn't much before he got slotted down the middle behind Sid and Geno. Nashville will quickly learn this, they will be paying a guy over $4 million a year to score a couple goals and PK.

I'll be interested to see how Sullivan adjusts to this start. That said - looking at the Pens schedule for the first couple months, the majority of their games are on the road, and they have a bunch of back to backs, some being home and away back to backs. Additionally, the quality of competition through this first stretch is pretty good. Add that to playing more games than any other team over the last couple years, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised or overly concerned if the Pens were a 500 team through the first 15 or so games.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if they were a .500 team thru the all-star break.  Your point of them having played more games than anyone else - and add their star power roster that played in the World Cup - fatigue is gonna set in.  Might be a good thing that the NHL isn't going to the Olympics in Feb.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
Wouldn't surprise me if they were a .500 team thru the all-star break.  Your point of them having played more games than anyone else - and add their star power roster that played in the World Cup - fatigue is gonna set in.  Might be a good thing that the NHL isn't going to the Olympics in Feb.

I think it is.

To your larger point though, yes I agree. They might floated around 500 till the break. It's early but I could easily see them being a lower seed and going out early in the playoffs this year. Time will tell, it's very, very early.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
Yeah rough game last night. It's hard to analyze a lot from 2 games but so far I'd say this - Niemi and Murray have to be better.

Niemi?  Annti Niemi?  Good luck with that.  I've seen many Kings/Sharks games that has Niemi on goal and my observations were this.  He's either going to do really good and probably make some impossible saves that gets everyone muttering or he's going to do really poorly and lose a lot of goals and then gets pulled.  I reveled in those days where the Kings were able to get a lot of goals on Niemi and now we kinda have to gulp a little since Niemi is no longer with the Sharks and their goalie now is Martin Jones (a former Kings goalie that actually helped carry the team greatly in late 2013 when Quick was injured) whose really good.

As for me, I'm pretty happy about how things turned out in the Kings opener against the Flyers.  It's basically a textbook Kings game.  Get a lead.  Apply some good pressure in small bursts.  Do poorly on the power play.  Hold on for dear life in the 3rd period and killing lots of penalties and Quick is being tremendous.  Eventually Carter or Toffoli will score a goal and Quick gets the shutout.  If only Kopitar and Doughty got some points, then it would have been really textbook.

It's great to watch hockey again.  In all honesty, I haven't been much of a Kings fan or a hockey fan in the last three years due to school, work, World of Warcraft and sadly the Kings' last three seasons have not been the greatest. Well, that's going to change now, I feel. Going to commit to watching more games and enjoying the glorious game of hockey once again like I did pre-mid 2014. I remember during those times where I was watching four games of hockey at once. I want to enjoy that feeling once again.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
^ Well in fairness, he's a back up in Pittsburgh. So when I say he needs to be better, I mean the team needs like 15 to 20 quality starts out of him this season. That's all.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19:05 PM »
That was a fun, but FUGLY game.  Leafs put it into cruise in the 2nd period forgetting that NYR is a high-powered offence themselves.  Still, a W is a W.

Mason and Lundqvist shouldn't feel bad...  methinks that the Leafs will make a lot of goalies look bad this year.  Man do they have some firepower.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2017, 11:11:56 PM »
That was a fun, but FUGLY game.  Leafs put it into cruise in the 2nd period forgetting that NYR is a high-powered offence themselves.  Still, a W is a W.

Mason and Lundqvist shouldn't feel bad...  methinks that the Leafs will make a lot of goalies look bad this year.  Man do they have some firepower.

Wait, so the Maple Leafs looks to be good this year?  I know Oilers are going to be good.  Flames might be competent.  Whose going to be the dumpster fire teams this year?  I know Avalanches had a terrible year last year and I don't hear any signs of that changing swiftly soon.  Sharks?  Canadiens?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2017, 07:19:20 AM »

Wait, so the Maple Leafs looks to be good this year?  I know Oilers are going to be good.  Flames might be competent.  Whose going to be the dumpster fire teams this year?  I know Avalanches had a terrible year last year and I don't hear any signs of that changing swiftly soon.  Sharks?  Canadiens?

There's a lot more parity across the NHL, so there's likely only to be a few "dumpster fires".  As to those that are highly unlikely to be playoff bound, my money is on Detroit (don't look to be very good anytime soon); Vegas (naturally - despite being 2-0 at the moment); Panthers; Canucks; Buffalo (I'm still not sold on their 'growth'); Winnipeg (unless Mason proves he can be a #1 puckstopper); New Jersey; Islanders; LA; Carolina; Montreal; Arizona.

Holy shit... how 'bout Ovie!?!?!  Is this gonna be another year of regular season ass-kicking / playoff disappointment for the Caps?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
Ovi is off to an incredible.

And how about those Vegas Golden Knights? Great start for them but lol at the NHL for making them start on the road.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2017, 08:50:16 AM »
Ovie will need to be incredible all year for that team to have a shot at making and losing in the playoffs, as per the usual.

On a side note - it only took 3 games and Reaves is already a fan favorite in Pittsburgh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
On a side note - it only took 3 games and Reaves is already a fan favorite in Pittsburgh.

He's a likeable guy and player. Pretty high energy and fun to watch play when he's on his game. Prior to last season, he spent the entire summer working on his skating and skills which in turn improved his all around game. He's not just a 'fighter' now....he's a strong 4th line player.

I don't agree with a lot of the St. Louis fans that were distraught and ticked off after we traded him like we traded away Gretzky in his prime...I get it he was a fan favorite but what we got in return helps our team. It was a win-win IMO.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2017, 09:12:58 AM »
He's a likeable guy and player. Pretty high energy and fun to watch play when he's on his game. Prior to last season, he spent the entire summer working on his skating and skills which in turn improved his all around game. He's not just a 'fighter' now....he's a strong 4th line player.

His skating has been pretty good so far, he's playing on a fast Pens team and looks fine, that said he's averaging like 6:30 a game.

I don't agree with a lot of the St. Louis fans that were distraught and ticked off after we traded him like we traded away Gretzky in his prime...I get it he was a fan favorite but what we got in return helps our team. It was a win-win IMO.

Yeah, I mean he's a fourth liner. It's a cap league, guys like that will cycle from team to team that's the business. Clearly, the Blues aren't going to tank merely because of his absence. Just gotta love a guy that played under 7 minutes Saturday, scored a goal and got in two fights  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
Very nice comeback win by the Leafs tonight (coming back from 2-0; and 3-1 in third), and a killer OT goal by Matthews.  They deserved that win - one of Chicago's goals was a lucky fluke off Marner's stick, and they were out-shot 43-21.  Forsberg kept them in that game, but the Leafs just kept pouring it on.

Man this is a fun team to watch.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2017, 06:43:54 AM »
Very nice comeback win by the Leafs tonight (coming back from 2-0; and 3-1 in third), and a killer OT goal by Matthews.  They deserved that win - one of Chicago's goals was a lucky fluke off Marner's stick, and they were out-shot 43-21.  Forsberg kept them in that game, but the Leafs just kept pouring it on.

It would be my luck to have the Blues play for the Cup this year against Toronto and lose.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2017, 06:58:07 AM »

It would be my luck to have the Blues play for the Cup this year against Toronto and lose.

In the famous words of Winston Wolf ... "Let's not start suckin each others' dick's just yet."

It's only game 3.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2017, 07:07:08 AM »
And there are the Leafs I've come to know and (not) love for the past 15 years.  Two - TWO - 5-3 Power Plays (one of which was a FULL 2 mins), and they end up -1.   :mehlin  They are not going anywhere if they don't shore up that defence, and Freddie has to find his groove sooner than the middle of November this year.  Again, it ain't their offence - 50 shots last night.  Schneider just out-played them.

Which begs the question, is New Jersey for real?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2017, 07:09:04 AM »

Too soon to tell, but they totally have the potential to be real solid.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:11 AM »

Almost certainly no. Schneider is definitely capable of stealing a game, but NJ is going to be near the bottom of the East again this season. The Leafs were due to lose like that given how poorly their D and tenders have played to start this season. You can't rely solely on offence to win games.

I like Buffalo's chances more than NJ's to go from the basement to at least competing for a playoff spot this season. Outside of Taylor Hall (you're welcome, NJ) there's nothing in that roster that leads me to believe they can hit 95+ pts.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2017, 07:36:57 AM »

Almost certainly no. Schneider is definitely capable of stealing a game, but NJ is going to be near the bottom of the East again this season. The Leafs were due to lose like that given how poorly their D and tenders have played to start this season. You can't rely solely on offence to win games.

Freddie Andersen is a notorious slow starter, and can be 'streaky'.  He was mid .800 save percentage for the first 5 weeks, then cranked it up to be .940-something thru the end of the calendar year.  Then he shat the bed again in Jan/Feb, only to crank it up to end the season, and was dynamite in the playoffs.  I'm hoping this is his break-out year to be a TRUE #1 goalie that can be more consistent over a 60ish game campaign.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »

Freddie Andersen is a notorious slow starter, and can be 'streaky'.  He was mid .800 save percentage for the first 5 weeks, then cranked it up to be .940-something thru the end of the calendar year.  Then he shat the bed again in Jan/Feb, only to crank it up to end the season, and was dynamite in the playoffs.  I'm hoping this is his break-out year to be a TRUE #1 goalie that can be more consistent over a 60ish game campaign.

I think Andersen has the goods to be a starter, no doubt. If he can stay healthy, and if they can shore up their defense a little, the Leafs should make the playoffs no problem. They could even challenge for the division title this season if they can keep pace with Tampa. I'm not expecting much competition from the B's, Habs or Sens this season.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:08 AM »
I think Andersen has the goods to be a starter, no doubt. If he can stay healthy, and if they can shore up their defense a little, the Leafs should make the playoffs no problem. They could even challenge for the division title this season if they can keep pace with Tampa. I'm not expecting much competition from the B's, Habs or Sens this season.

Oh, he has the goods to be a starter, I'd just like to see him be far more consistent ... which would then put him in the Top 10 category.

And you're right, the Leafs should be able to finish 2nd at a minimum, but if they can get more disciplined on D, they could have a shot at the division title.  We have the fortune of being in a fairly weak division to begin with - arguably the weakest of the four.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »
Heading to Newport Beach for work tomorrow morning. Plan on catching the Ducks game tomorrow night. Going to try and get up to LA for the Kings game Wednesday so I can root against the Canadiens.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2017, 10:13:15 PM »
Well,  this has certainly been a disappointing start of the season for the Oil. This Sens game is an absolute dumpster fire.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »
Well,  this has certainly been a disappointing start of the season for the Oil. This Sens game is an absolute dumpster fire.
Yep. I'm pretty happy with how this one is going. Although, I really wanted back to back 6-0 games, that would have made it better
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2017, 10:54:07 PM »
Flyers have not had a recent history of good home openers, but tonight that certainly changed. Not going to even say the defense was great or anything, but holy hell, we were making dazzling offensive moves left and right. 8-2 against the Caps and even though they had their backup in net that's far and away from the reason that was the final score.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
What the hell... Lundqvist's best days are clearly behind him.  Rangers look awful.  Also... Edmonton not looking like an up-and-coming team - whereas the Knights are!  Kucherov/Stamkos are looking easily like the best duo in the league right now.

Nice to see the Leafs A) shut down the top 3 scorers in the league and B) show they can win a low-scoring game.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2017, 09:51:37 PM »
What the hell... Lundqvist's best days are clearly behind him.  Rangers look awful.

AV needs to go. The team has no heart or guts. At least with Torts they fought for every game.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2017, 10:27:04 PM »
What the hell... Lundqvist's best days are clearly behind him.  Rangers look awful.

AV needs to go. The team has no heart or guts. At least with Torts they fought for every game.
Don't forget that AV took the Rangers to 2 finals though. ..

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »

Don't forget that AV took the Rangers to 2 finals though. ..

One final. He had more success with Vancouver and they canned him after the team didn't play up to expectations as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
 :lol You know a team is struggling when fans pine for Torts.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2017, 02:22:19 PM »
Don't know how/why the Devils have come out of the gate so hot, but I'm not complaining :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2017, 09:51:26 PM »
A win over Chicago is always sweet. :hat :coolio

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »
A win over Chicago is always sweet. :hat :coolio

Beautiful win by the Blues. Well played game all around.