Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93570 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Does the Athletic have a fantasy sports slant to it, or is it just purely reporting on stories? I'm a junkie for fantasy hockey and always looking for websites/products that can give me a leg up on the competition  :lol

I have not seen any fantasy talk.  I can't imagine they won't eventually have it though given it's popularity.

IDK, there's so much free content everywhere that I'm hard pressed to pay for any subscription. I would need a whole lot more than written articles to justify that cost, even just $40 on the year.

Totally understood. The thought is the entities that offer the free content out there now are not making money and will eventually have to charge. These companies like the Athletic are hiring the best writers now to build their base and when the other entities try to play catch up they'll have a hard time doing so.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
IDK, there's so much free content everywhere that I'm hard pressed to pay for any subscription. I would need a whole lot more than written articles to justify that cost, even just $40 on the year.

The Pittsburgh one I linked above is $29.99 a year and does written content, video content, podcasts, radio content, social, etc... They do a ton. But the main difference is who they have doing those things, a number of excellent reporters who previously worked in traditional media in and around Pittsburgh work there now and frankly, their coverage is simply better.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
The Pittsburgh one I linked above is $29.99 a year and does written content, video content, podcasts, radio content, social, etc... They do a ton. But the main difference is who they have doing those things, a number of excellent reporters who previously worked in traditional media in and around Pittsburgh work there now and frankly, their coverage is simply better.

that's the gist of the moment I think. Hire the cream of the crop talent and allow them to write/produce stories other than boring game summaries and regurgitated cliche' after game interviews. The average joe may not subscribe but those of us out there that want a bit more meat and potatoes will cough up the drop in the bucket $30-$40 for it. As I said, I've only had 'The Athletic' for a week and I already consider it $40 well spent.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Haha, so I go to The Athletic website to check it out, and the very first article is an Oilers piece from my absolute least favourite hockey writer. No thanks, for now.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Also, I'm wondering how their business model works since Willis is still writing for several other, free, outlets. I'm assuming they have to submit some exclusive content to The Athletic, otherwise this makes no sense.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
As I understand it, the companies that are releasing their content for free are no longer making money, or at least enough of it, so by gathering all the best writers and putting them behind a paywall they are just setting themselves to be WAY ahead of their competitors when they choose/Are forced to do the same.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
As I understand it, the companies that are releasing their content for free are no longer making money, or at least enough of it, so by gathering all the best writers and putting them behind a paywall they are just setting themselves to be WAY ahead of their competitors when they choose/Are forced to do the same.

That's exactly it. And the freedom these writers are going to get to write stories with more content and meat on the bone is going to blow the boring game summary and standard post game interview dribble out of the water. This may not excite an average fan but as for me, I'll gladly sacrifice the same ol same ol story/reportage for more in depth/behind the scenes type reporting.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

That's exactly it. And the freedom these writers are going to get to write stories with more content and meat on the bone is going to blow the boring game summary and standard post game interview dribble out of the water. This may not excite an average fan but as for me, I'll gladly sacrifice the same ol same ol story/reportage for more in depth/behind the scenes type reporting.

Yup, it's the opportunity for the reporters to be almost entrepreneurial. Not all will like that, but a lot will.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »

Yup, it's the opportunity for the reporters to be almost entrepreneurial. Not all will like that, but a lot will.

I can tell you that my buddy who has joined is pumped that he can now spend three or four days putting together an in depth story rather than churning and burning game summary's (that in his words no one reads) for midnight deadlines and finding different ways to write the same old interview questions.

Like you said...not everyone will want to pay for content like that and that's fine. But I think a lot will AND the eventuality is you're going to end up paying for content anyway one way or the other. I look at it as an investment at this point.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
Watching the Bruins/Red Wings game tonight. WOW, the new arena in Detroit looks amazing!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »
Watching the Bruins/Red Wings game tonight. WOW, the new arena in Detroit looks amazing!!

It's going to be the only thing that looks amazing with this year's Red Wings.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »

Not if they play the Bruins every game. Wow, the B's looked putrid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »

Not if they play the Bruins every game. Wow, the B's looked putrid.

It's only the preseason.  With the way the Bruins have dominated the Wings since their move to the East, one would think that Zdeno Chara and Brad Marchand have a controlling interest in the Wings.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »
RIP Dave Strader

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-broadcaster-strader-dies-at-62-1.872234

He was an excellent play by play guy.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
RIP Dave Strader

https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-broadcaster-strader-dies-at-62-1.872234

He was an excellent play by play guy.

Well shit.  That's depressing.  Strader/Pang was one of my favorite pairings (along with Thorne/Clement).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2017, 06:18:58 AM »
Hot damn I'm ready for the season to begin.  Easily the most excited I've been for a Maple Leafs team since '93/'94.  I think everyone in the city would probably say the same thing.  Though I was really hoping for Marleau to be lined up with Matthews, Babcock seems to be keeping the top-2 lines the same as last year.  We still have an issue at D, but we'll see how those youngins develop.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2017, 06:37:23 AM »
If the Blues can't win the Cup then my next wish is for the Leafs to get it Chad. Good luck. I'm just hoping that the slew of injuries the Blues sustained in Pre season doesn't kill them. Too competitive of a division to give away points early and try to dig back into it.

Ready for some hockey though  :metal

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
Definitely ready for some hockey tonight, although I certainly don't share the same opinion about the Leafs. It would bring a smile to my face if they somehow lost every game this season  ;D

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
If the Blues can't win the Cup then my next wish is for the Leafs to get it Chad. Good luck. I'm just hoping that the slew of injuries the Blues sustained in Pre season doesn't kill them. Too competitive of a division to give away points early and try to dig back into it.

The sad reality of trading draft picks... this year I'm all for Suck Blues Suck!

Seriously though, you got Schenn for an overprice potential opening night scratch, that first rounder better be gold next year.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2017, 08:18:35 AM »

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen this year.  I'll be happy for a 2-3 round run in the Playoffs.  My hope is that they follow the Hawks trajectory after they drafted Toews/Kane.  I'd be happy with a quasi-dynasty over the coming years.  Gonna be hard though, because I think Edmonton could be on that trajectory as well.  It would be great if those two - sometime in the next few years - could give us an all-Canada Final for the first time since '89. 

I like the Leafs chances in the division though... Tampa should rebound - hard; Ottawa looks pretty solid.  Really not sure Montreal is going anywhere but down - and that's a shame for Price.  Detroit, Florida and Buffalo are still 'pretenders' imo (even though most are expecting big improvements from the Sabres); who knows how the Bruins are going to pan out, I think they're going languish in mediocrity.  Potential injuries notwithstanding, there's an outside chance the Leafs could take the division, or at least 2nd.

[quote author=Nick link=topic=50440.msg2362229#msg2362229 date=1507126584
Seriously though, you got Schenn for an overprice potential opening night scratch, that first rounder better be gold next year.
[/quote]

Not the first time you've screwed the pooch in a trade involving a Schenn.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »
The sad reality of trading draft picks... this year I'm all for Suck Blues Suck!

I'm still floored anyone took Lehtera but I won't cry about it. Schenn has looked good (and by that I mean way better than Lehtera) in pre-season so we'll see how it goes and yes....we have some youngsters that are going to need to be put into the fire soon because there's no other choice.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2017, 08:23:21 AM »
Indeed Chad, a far second place as far as trades involving a Schenn!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
I think Price is the only thing that will keep Montreal from being a bottom 3 lottery team this year. They're going to be all kinds of awful.

Out West, I think the Blues have as good a chance as any other team if they can get, and stay, healthy. Their top 6 are pretty solid, and they have 2 legitimate top pair d-men in Boumeester and Pietrangelo. I could easily see a Blues/Oilers western final (that is, of course, if McLellan doesn't work Talbot to death again this season).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
I think Price is the only thing that will keep Montreal from being a bottom 3 lottery team this year. They're going to be all kinds of awful.

Out West, I think the Blues have as good a chance as any other team if they can get, and stay, healthy. Their top 6 are pretty solid, and they have 2 legitimate top pair d-men in Boumeester and Pietrangelo. I could easily see a Blues/Oilers western final (that is, of course, if McLellan doesn't work Talbot to death again this season).

If they are 1a and 1b, I'd put Parayko as a VERY close #2.  I'd kill to have that guy on my team.  And yeah, Talbot can't (or at least shouldn't) do another 60+ game season.  That's just crazy.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »
Push for three in a row starts tonight!  :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2017, 11:51:33 AM »

If they are 1a and 1b, I'd put Parayko as a VERY close #2.  I'd kill to have that guy on my team.  And yeah, Talbot can't (or at least shouldn't) do another 60+ game season.  That's just crazy.

Boumeester is past his prime. He chews up minutes so he's a good partner but his skills have diminished and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather have one of our youngsters in the line up over him....And Chad's right.....Parayko is a freaking stud.... and I'd put him above Petrangelo at this point because the kid is just slick. He just signed a 5 year deal with the Blues in the off season so I'm sure he will have a season ending injury soon. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »
He just signed a 5 year deal with the Blues in the off season so I'm sure he will have a season ending injury soon.

:rollin :rollin

Offline romdrums

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
He just signed a 5 year deal with the Blues in the off season so I'm sure he will have a season ending injury soon.

:rollin :rollin

Spoken like a true Blues fan!!   ;) ;D

I'm not optimistic about the Wings chances this year, at either a playoff spot or at the number 1 pick.  Ken Holland doesn't seem to have a plan beyond, "once we get in, anything can happen."  The Wings are most likely going to be like Calgary during the last few years of Iginla and Kiiprusoff: not good enough to get in, not bad enough to get that high lottery pick.  I want Mantha and Larkin to take the next step this year while losing enough games to get the best chance at the #1 pick.  Ideally, the Wings would do everything they can to get rid of their albatross contracts and let a new GM come in this upcoming offseason to get things back on course.  We'll see.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »
Toronto embarrassed Winnipeg on their rink tonight to open the season. Poor Steve Mason, but a good game for Auston Matthews and Patrick Marleau
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2017, 08:52:56 PM »
That was the first of many Leon-to-Connor goals this season. ..

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:55 PM »
Toronto embarrassed Winnipeg on their rink tonight to open the season. Poor Steve Mason, but a good game for Auston Matthews and Patrick Marleau

The scoreboard would say so, but the game was a different story.  Jets had 15 shots on goal (from 3 PPs) in the first 13 minutes.  Andersen stole that victory by keeping the Leafs in the game with some clutch saves.  Great all-around W for the Leafs... 8-8 on the PK; 2-4 on the PP; scoring from all over the place; stellar goaltending (the 2 WPG goals were both late in the 3rd, and one was a garbage/broken play).

Complaints... the fucking refs.  Seriously, 12 penalties in the game - one of which was an equipment violation on Komarav and his visor.  Plus the refs on a few occasions were busting players for jerseys being tucked in (inadvertently).  Those 2 rules are BS/nitpicking.

Mason did not look good as the Jets #1 puck-stopper.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
Nice OT win by the Blues.  :hat

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »

Yeah. That'd have been a tough loss after playing such a great game.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2017, 01:11:46 AM »

Yeah. That'd have been a tough loss after playing such a great game.

Thank you Blues for ruining the Penguins season opener.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
Great opening night from the Oilers, and especially from McDavid! He could have easily had 5 goals had Smith not played as well as he did. I look forward to watching them stomp the Flames again this season.