Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94983 times)

Offline Dittomist

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #595 on: March 23, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »
It was really surprising to see the Kings dominate the Avalanche last night. While I would have preferred the Kings to lose, I'm just glad it didn't go to overtime. A Blues win and an Anaheim loss tonight would be such a great start to the weekend!
Can you imagine a Playoff series that went to Game 7 Overtime, and was decided on a goal like this from last night? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPksHvlGaZg  :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #596 on: March 23, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »
Yeah, that was bullshit.  The ref clearly lost sight of the puck long before it went into the net - that's on him for not blowing the play dead.  The goal light never went on, the ref never called the goal live, so I don't know how the review could have 'upheld' the call on the ice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: March 25, 2018, 09:13:40 PM »
Dallas has done a masterful job of playing themselves out of the race.  8 game losing skid at the most crucial time of the season.  Yikes.

Fugly win by the Leafs last night, but a regular time win is still 2 important points.  Tampa better look out ... here come the Bs - 2 back, with a game in hand.  Still, a tough 7 games.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #598 on: March 26, 2018, 06:12:02 AM »
Dallas has done a masterful job of playing themselves out of the race.  8 game losing skid at the most crucial time of the season.  Yikes.

Fugly win by the Leafs last night, but a regular time win is still 2 important points.  Tampa better look out ... here come the Bs - 2 back, with a game in hand.  Still, a tough 7 games.

Doing this with missing crucial players as well.  I can't believe how well the kids played this year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: March 26, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »

Doing this with missing crucial players as well.  I can't believe how well the kids played this year.

It's been pretty epic.  My hope (if they don't over-take Tampa), is that they flame-out come the post season.   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2018, 06:34:14 AM »

It's been pretty epic.  My hope (if they don't over-take Tampa), is that they flame-out come the post season.   :biggrin:

You mean play the Leafs in the playoffs. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #601 on: March 26, 2018, 06:45:48 AM »
Dallas has done a masterful job of playing themselves out of the race.  8 game losing skid at the most crucial time of the season.  Yikes

Yeah...what a brutal stretch of games for them.....doesn’t break my heart though.  :biggrin:  It’s still crazy right now for the two wild card spots in the West. Heck, the Blues are only (4) back of Minnesota for third place. It’s gonna be a crazy last 7 games.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: March 26, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »
Dallas has done a masterful job of playing themselves out of the race.  8 game losing skid at the most crucial time of the season.  Yikes

Yeah...what a brutal stretch of games for them.....doesn’t break my heart though.  :biggrin:  It’s still crazy right now for the two wild card spots in the West. Heck, the Blues are only (4) back of Minnesota for third place. It’s gonna be a crazy last 7 games.

My hope for you is that you go up against Nashville, and sweep them. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #603 on: March 26, 2018, 07:21:09 AM »

I'd like to hit the lottery while we're dreaming.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: March 26, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »

You guys got your upgrade last year.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: March 26, 2018, 07:35:25 AM »

It's not that big a stretch.....maybe the sweep part but the Blues facing Nashville in the First round is my hope right now. We always play them well (outside of the past two games) and ALL the pressure would be on them due to them being SO good.

If not for a couple fortunate calls in game 4 last year in Nashville the Blues win that game and are up 3 games to 2. That utter horse shit call on Reaves when everyone on the ice was scrumming after the play that led to a Nashville go ahead PP goal was terrible....just a terrible, lucky a$$ call. Especially considering the Blues had taken the crowd out of the game and had Nashville on their heels at that moment. It was a load of crap is what it was.

Anyway....I would love to face them in the first round. It's a no lose situation. We lose the series....oh well, we're 'supposed' to. We win it....that's a huge momentum and confidence boost and who knows what happens after that? I do know that ALL the pressure would be on them to perform. I'm just curious to see if they'll continue to be the leagues 'darling' team and keep getting those timely calls/non calls.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:58:07 AM by gmillerdrake »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: March 26, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »
Anything can happen - ask Nashville and LA fans.  A hot goalie, and lucky bounce or two.  Who knows... maybe Allen or Hutton get red hot, and Rinne turns mediocre.

Never deprive anyone of hope... it might be all they have.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #607 on: March 26, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »
It was really surprising to see the Kings dominate the Avalanche last night.

And then they turned around and gagged against the Oilers.  Edmonton has been a bad matchup for the Kings the past few years.  Worse yet, Anaheim earned 3 points in its two weekend games.  Kings are now 2 points behind Anaheim, with both teams having 6 games to play.  Kings are also in a dead heat with STL and one point behind Colorado in the wild card race.  Kings and STL have 89 points and 39 ROWs.  Colorado has 90 points and 39 ROWs.  The bad part is that both Colorado and STL have a game in hand on the Kings.

Kings' margin of error is basically down to zero at this point, but I'm still eyeing Friday's game at Anaheim as the most critical game.  I thought about grabbing some tickets, but prices are approximating those for a playoff game (which it basically is).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: March 26, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
And then they turned around and gagged against the Oilers.  Edmonton has been a bad matchup for the Kings the past few years.  Worse yet, Anaheim earned 3 points in its two weekend games.  Kings are now 2 points behind Anaheim, with both teams having 6 games to play.  Kings are also in a dead heat with STL and one point behind Colorado in the wild card race.  Kings and STL have 89 points and 39 ROWs.  Colorado has 90 points and 39 ROWs.  The bad part is that both Colorado and STL have a game in hand on the Kings.

Kings' margin of error is basically down to zero at this point, but I'm still eyeing Friday's game at Anaheim as the most critical game.  I thought about grabbing some tickets, but prices are approximating those for a playoff game (which it basically is).

IF the teams involved (LA, Anaheim, StL, Colorado) play at the pace their playing on....I think whichever team (LA,Anaheim) that gets the third place spot makes the playoffs and the other is out. The two Wild Card spots will be either StL, Colorado OR the Wild. StL has an outside chance of taking over third place which then throws the Wild in the wild card mix.

It's pretty crazy. Like you said....the margin of error is 'you can't lose a game'  :lol 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #609 on: March 26, 2018, 04:58:25 PM »

IF the teams involved (LA, Anaheim, StL, Colorado) play at the pace their playing on....I think whichever team (LA,Anaheim) that gets the third place spot makes the playoffs and the other is out. The two Wild Card spots will be either StL, Colorado OR the Wild. StL has an outside chance of taking over third place which then throws the Wild in the wild card mix.

It's pretty crazy. Like you said....the margin of error is 'you can't lose a game'  :lol

That's how it's looking -- like the two wild cards will come from the Central Division.  However, the teams in the hunt all play each other a fair amount, so it'll be those head-to-head games that decide everything.  The remaining schedules:

MIN:  @NSH, DAL, @DAL, EDM, @ANA, @LA, @SJ
COL:  @LAS, PHI, CHI, @ANA, @LA, @SJ, STL
STL:  SJ, @LAS, @AZ, WAS, CHI, @CHI, @COL
ANA:  @VAN, LA, COL, MIN, DAL, @AZ
LA:  CAL, AZ, @ANA, COL, MIN, DAL

The Central Division teams have the advantage simply by virtue of having games in hand.  The Kings' game tonight against Calgary is all but a "must win."  If they don't get 2 points, they'll be tied in points with STL, and with STL having TWO games in hand.  Hopefully Vegas will view clinching its inevitable playoff spot as a priority and beat Colorado in regulation.  Then I'll have to cheer for San Jose to beat St. Louis tomorrow (rooting for SJ is almost too repugnant to comprehend).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #610 on: March 27, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »
Anything can happen - ask Nashville and LA fans.  A hot goalie, and lucky bounce or two.  Who knows... maybe Allen or Hutton get red hot, and Rinne turns mediocre.

Never deprive anyone of hope... it might be all they have.

Avatar from Dictator to Rainbow dash.  My youngest granddaughter loves my little pony. I even got a Discord shirt to watch the show with her.

I live outside Nashville and people here are upset the Predators have lost a few lately.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #611 on: March 27, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
Right about now is when I start to get pretty ticked about how many OTL points teams have. Anaheim has (13) pts from losing. Looking throught the standings it looks like the average is from 5-8. Gonna be hot if they slide into the playoffs with that many points from losses.

I know ‘every’ team has this chance and it’s all the same across the board for every team.....but seems like there could be a better way to either punish teams for losing a game in OT or reward teams for winning them in OT.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: March 27, 2018, 07:59:03 AM »
Right about now is when I start to get pretty ticked about how many OTL points teams have. Anaheim has (13) pts from losing. Looking throught the standings it looks like the average is from 5-8. Gonna be hot if they slide into the playoffs with that many points from losses.

I know ‘every’ team has this chance and it’s all the same across the board for every team.....but seems like there could be a better way to either punish teams for losing a game in OT or reward teams for winning them in OT.

There is ... 2 points vs 1.   :biggrin:

You've got to look at the other side of the coin - it's not a loss ... it's a 1 point reward for the regular time tie.  Just the same as in the old days before OT/shootouts.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: March 27, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »

You've got to look at the other side of the coin - it's not a loss ... it's a 1 point reward for the regular time tie.  Just the same as in the old days before OT/shootouts.

I understand that....but, in my eyes teams are now playing for the tie rather than the win. There has to be a greater value placed on the 'W'....so if that's 3 pts for an OT win or 0 points for an OTL....however it is.....there has to be a greater benefit to the teams that win the OT games and greater 'punishment' for those who lose them. 

I'll keep picking on Anaheim for this illustration....but they are battling the Kings for third in their division. Tied with LA with 91 points but have (3) less actual wins....but have (13) OTL compared to LA's (7).  StL has (3) more wins than them.....only (5) OTL yet sits at 89 pts.

I think there's something wrong with a system when it's rewarding mediocrity......and that's how I see it.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #614 on: March 27, 2018, 09:13:16 AM »

I understand that....but, in my eyes teams are now playing for the tie rather than the win. There has to be a greater value placed on the 'W'....so if that's 3 pts for an OT win or 0 points for an OTL....however it is.....there has to be a greater benefit to the teams that win the OT games and greater 'punishment' for those who lose them. 

I'll keep picking on Anaheim for this illustration....but they are battling the Kings for third in their division. Tied with LA with 91 points but have (3) less actual wins....but have (13) OTL compared to LA's (7).  StL has (3) more wins than them.....only (5) OTL yet sits at 89 pts.

I think there's something wrong with a system when it's rewarding mediocrity......and that's how I see it.

They do adjust for the OTL, and even the shootout wins, in the tie breaker. They put emphasis on a team's ROW, so they do punish losing in OT or winning in shootouts.

I'd still like to see them award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for the OT or shootout win, and then the loser point for the tie (OTL or SOL). I think the whole purpose of the current system is to keep as many teams in the race, as late in the season as possible. To that effect it works pretty well, I'd say.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #615 on: March 27, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
I'd still like to see them award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for the OT or shootout win, and then the loser point for the tie (OTL or SOL). I think the whole purpose of the current system is to keep as many teams in the race, as late in the season as possible. To that effect it works pretty well, I'd say.

I'd love to see them award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for a OT or shootout win, and no loser points, no matter what.

But, like you said, they won't do that because the current system keeps more teams in the hunt longer.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: March 27, 2018, 09:27:48 AM »

They do adjust for the OTL, and even the shootout wins, in the tie breaker. They put emphasis on a team's ROW, so they do punish losing in OT or winning in shootouts.

I guess you could look at it like that.....I see it different. I think it keeps teams that maybe shouldn't be in it......in it longer and potentially getting in ahead of teams that have more actual regulation wins.

Put it like this....if I'm Colorado or St. Louis and Anaheim ends up in that Final wild card spot having won three or four fewer games than my team I'd be friggin' ticked. And that is a very real possibility right now.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #617 on: March 27, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »

Well...the idea behind the current system is that a team that loses in OT or a shootout should be rewarded.  Why?  Because under the old system (pre-shootout era), if a game ended in a tie, both teams earned a point.  The system that I think probably makes most sense is 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT or shootout win, 1 point for an OT or shootout loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss.  Of course, that may be too complicated for the average fan, but it not only rewards the losing team for getting to OT, it also rewards teams for winning in regulation.  It would be interesting to see what some seasons' standings would look like under this system (as well as a system that simply gives 2 points for a win and 0 points for a loss).

Happy to see the Kings play like they're capable last night and to see the Avs get spanked.

Tonight, I'm rooting for Nashville over Minnesota, Vancouver over Anaheim and San Jose over St. Louis (that last one hurt to say).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #618 on: March 27, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

Not quite, in the OLD days, it was simply 2 points available per game.  The winner got 2 and the loser got 0, regardless of whether the win came in regulation or OT.  If the game ended in a tie, then each team got 1 point.  Then they changed it to give 1 point for a tie or an OTL.  After the 04-05 lockout, ties were eliminated and the current system put in place.

I appreciate gmillerdrake's point.  As a Kings fan, I can't complain too much about the current system.  In 2011-12, the Kings finished as the 8th seed with 95 points and a 40-27-15 record (aka 40-42).  Dallas, on the other hand, finished out of the playoffs with 89 points, but with a 42-35-5 record (i.e., 42-40) (and, by the way, Calgary finished with 90 points and a 37-29-16 record).  The Kings made the playoffs and went on to win the Cup, but  in a pure wins and losses system, Dallas would have finished ahead of the Kings and the Kings out of the playoffs.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:15:00 PM by pg1067 »

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #619 on: March 27, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Although I'm not counting on it, a Blues win over the red-hot Sharks tonight would be huge!!! Not only would it give the Blues a huge boost in their playoffs hopes, but it would make a first round upset against a team like the Golden Knights seem quite possible. However, I don't think they could win a single game against the Predators. Nashville is just playing on an entirely different level right now, and I'll definitely have them winning the cup on my playoff bracket this year.

The Canucks have been absolutely worthless so they probably won't help the Blues by beating Anaheim tonight. A Wild loss tonight would make this crazy Western fight even more interesting because they've suddenly become vulnerable again.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: March 27, 2018, 06:00:54 PM »
Sharks throwing the Blues a bone tonight and starting their back up Aaron Dell. Although a quick peek at his numbers show he’s no slouch.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: March 27, 2018, 07:37:55 PM »
Put it like this....if I'm Colorado or St. Louis and Anaheim ends up in that Final wild card spot having won three or four fewer games than my team I'd be friggin' ticked. And that is a very real possibility right now.

I guess I see the other side of the coin... Anaheim also has fewer regular time losses than Colorado and St. Louis.  Now, without going thru their OTLs game-by-game, I can't say if they came from behind to tie a game up, or blew a lead to end up in a tie.  I don't have a problem with the current system... and suspect you wouldn't either if it was your Blues that had the 13 OTLs.   :biggrin:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #622 on: March 27, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
McDavid has 3 points through 1 period tonight. Pretty sure he's focused like a laser on winning the Art Ross. He, Drai and Nuge are the only reasons to watch these games down the stretch.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #623 on: March 27, 2018, 08:39:10 PM »
Blues win in OT!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: March 27, 2018, 08:40:41 PM »
 I just saw a penalty called on a dump in I guess the Bruins and it sickens me.  How referees can't see embellishment on a absolutely clean hit is beyond me.

Come on rafts get your s*** together.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #625 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »
Yeah, that was brutal. This has been a crazy fucking game. I think the Bruins are ready to get on a plane.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #626 on: March 27, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
 I understand protecting the players but the rest can't differentiate between a guy diving in a real penalty. It's disgusting.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #627 on: March 28, 2018, 05:34:45 AM »
I understand protecting the players but the rest can't differentiate between a guy diving in a real penalty. It's disgusting.

Refs weren't very good at all last night and the Bruins were lucky to get a point because of it. The first goal for the Wild that was waived off, but then mysteriously overturned BEFORE it was looked at, and then to not have enough evidence to RE-overturn it... I never saw the puck cross the line, and I'm 100% convinced it never did. Then the third goal for the Wild should have been an icing call (in today's NHL). Play not blown dead, possession for the Wild, puck in the net. Then that horrendous call on Miller you're talking about. Luckily no goals were scored on the power play. I'll take the point, but the B's played well enough to win that game, they just got terrible officiating against them and couldn't climb out of the hole.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: March 28, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »
should have been an icing call (in today's NHL).

There's a whole other topic.  Drives me nuts how much icing there is.  Between pucks that were intentionally *not* touched by the defending team, or players who look like they're skating thru mud to make sure they don't catch the puck, the linesmen are brutal in their judgment of what's 'playable'.  I'd love to see the NHL adopt international/Europe/Russia standards - if it's anywhere close to be playable (by either team) ... no icing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: March 28, 2018, 06:51:03 AM »

Refs weren't very good at all last night and the Bruins were lucky to get a point because of it. The first goal for the Wild that was waived off, but then mysteriously overturned BEFORE it was looked at, and then to not have enough evidence to RE-overturn it... I never saw the puck cross the line, and I'm 100% convinced it never did. Then the third goal for the Wild should have been an icing call (in today's NHL). Play not blown dead, possession for the Wild, puck in the net. Then that horrendous call on Miller you're talking about. Luckily no goals were scored on the power play. I'll take the point, but the B's played well enough to win that game, they just got terrible officiating against them and couldn't climb out of the hole.

Yeah that Miller hit is exactly what I was talking about.  Man how can they even call a clean hit like that a penalty?