Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94367 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #525 on: March 14, 2018, 09:04:32 AM »
 :lol

I am worried because there is so many injuries to key players right now. Somehow they keep winning.  We just need them healthy for the playoffs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #526 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

2012 Playoffs all over again.

As a Kings fan, I can only hope!

Seriously, though, the Kings "mood swings" are infuriating.  Looked like crap in 7-2 beatdown against STL on Saturday, then had one of their strongest games of the year against an admittedly weak Vancouver team on Monday, and then went down 2-0 early last night against the worst team in the league and had to struggle mightily to force OT and earn a point after a shootout loss.  The Kings' remaining schedule is relatively easy, but if they continue to play like crap against teams that are below them in the standings, the next four weeks are going to be long and painful.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #527 on: March 14, 2018, 01:11:46 PM »
Considering I had Cam Ward playing for my fantasy team tonight, I was not happy :lol

The Bruins are 3rd in the league in goals. Why would you have Cam Ward active?

I can start two goalies per day and he was one of only two who were starting last night :lol It's very had for goalies in our league to earn negative points in a given game, he just got way fewer points for me than he would have if they held course at 4-1. Although, in the grand scheme of things this probably helps thin out the race for one of the wild card spots so I can't complain too much :D
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2018, 03:58:57 AM »
Big win by the Leafs last night, and I was at our company box as a last minute invite.   :metal  That was a solid back and forth game... but I haven't seen what the issue was with Anderson coming out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2018, 08:07:16 AM »
Free box seats ftw :hat

Hoping that the Devils are picking the right time to get hot, they stopped the Predators' winning streak on Saturday and then dropped an 8-spot on Vegas last night, both on the road. What's annoying is that I had planned on going out to Vegas for the game last night until something came up at work that meant I couldn't get away this week. Would have been a really fun game to get to.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: March 15, 2018, 09:07:31 PM »
Man that Western conference Wild Card race is gonna be a tight one.

In the East... not so much.  Carolina has managed to play their way out of contention, whereas the Panthers are killing it.  I'm glad the Leafs only have one game left against them, and the Bs have three more.  :biggrin:

And the bodies keep piling up... Komarav (Leafs' best defensive forward) looks like a bad knee injury; who knows what the deal is with Andersen.  Chara now on the shelf?  It's gonna be a grind for the next 3 weeks!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Man that Western conference Wild Card race is gonna be a tight one.

It's maddening!  It seems like every Kings win vaults them from out of the playoffs completely and into a WC spot or third place in the Pacific, and ever loss pushes them out of the playoffs.

Five points separate 2nd place from 5th place in the Pacific,, and 3rd through 5th place in the Central are separated by only two points.  Likewise, five teams are within 5 points of each other for the two WC spots.

No one has more than one game in hand on anyone else, and the Kings and Avs currently own the ROW tiebreaker.

Tonight I'll be rooting for the Sens over Stars, Flames over the Sharts, Wings over Sucks, and Knights over Wild.

Fasten your seatbelts!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »
Blues are out of that race. They lost to the Av's at home last night despite having 45 shots on goal (22) of which were quality scoring chances. the Av's goalie of course stood on his head.

The Blues are 1 of 4 teams who have made the playoffs six years in a row.....looks like that streak will end this season. Which I think is a good thing being that there are issues that need to be addressed and missing the playoffs would force those to be a priority.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline romdrums

« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2018, 11:18:44 AM »
I'm hoping the Red Wings continue the losing streak.  It's time to start Fallin' for Dahlin, or Suck Assmus for Rasmus, whichever you prefer.  Anything that forces Chris Illitch to make a change!  Watching Jeff Blashill's line blender the past 3 seasons has been frustrating. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #534 on: March 16, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Blues are out of that race. They lost to the Av's at home last night despite having 45 shots on goal (22) of which were quality scoring chances. the Av's goalie of course stood on his head.

No complaining about the refs, or are we just assuming it?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #535 on: March 16, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
The Blues might be sucking, but I am going tomorrow night now. All-inclusive, courtesy of my cousin who I am going with, meaning free beer, free foods (nachos!!), and seats 10 rows from the ice. :coolio

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »
The Blues might be sucking, but I am going tomorrow night now. All-inclusive, courtesy of my cousin who I am going with, meaning free beer, free foods (nachos!!), and seats 10 rows from the ice. :coolio

Can't beat that, even if it is a frustrating product on the ice.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: March 16, 2018, 07:09:24 PM »

That’s awesome! I’m sure you’ll get to see a good game. They’re acting like they want to win again. Issue is you can’t lose 7 games in a row in the Central Divison and think you’ll be fine. It’s just too tough a division.

Armstrong has a LOT to prove over the summer. I’d still love to hear his excuse as to why he didn’t sign Panarin two years ago when he, Tarasenko and his agent were begging the Blues to sign him.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »
Awesome National Anthem in Tampa tonight.

Oh, and I love David Backes. Have I mentioned that before?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #539 on: March 17, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »

That’s awesome! I’m sure you’ll get to see a good game.

Or I will wake up sick to my stomach the morning of the game and not be well enough to attend. :censored :censored :censored

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: March 17, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »

Scary looking injury there. The urgency suggests he might've got a major artery.  :omg:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #541 on: March 17, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »

Scary looking injury there. The urgency suggests he might've got a major artery.  :omg:

Well the Bruins statement says that he had a laceration above the knee and had multiple stitches, and is "resting". It didn't mention going to the hospital, so hopefully he dodged a bullet.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: March 17, 2018, 07:06:59 PM »
Phew. Never want to see anyone get a bad injury.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #543 on: March 17, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
I try not to come in here and pump the Bruins tires, but tonight was one of, if not the, best games of the year. A 3-0 win in Tampa.

No Bergeron
No Chara
No MacCavoy
No Debrusk
No Backes after the 1st.

Just winning battles all over the ice. Rask was ridiculous as well.

:metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:53:15 PM by TAC »

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #544 on: March 17, 2018, 09:28:46 PM »
I think there are only 2, maybe 3 teams in each division that are legitimate Stanley Cup threats. In the West it is NSH and WPG (if they can get healthy), but since that is unfortunately looking like a round 2 matchup I will throw Vegas in there, but it looks like their magic is starting to run out.

In the east there is BOS, and then maybe PIT (If Murray can get healthy and bring his playoff mojo) and TB (they really haven't played good hockey since December). I'm predicting a NSH-BOS final.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #545 on: March 17, 2018, 09:43:37 PM »
I try not to come in here and pump the Bruins tires, but tonight was one of, if not the, best games of the year. A 3-0 win in Tampa.

No Bergeron
No Chara
No MacCavoy
No Debrusk
No Backes after the 1st.

Just winning battles all over the ice. Rask was ridiculous as well.

:metal :metal :metal

A BIG HELL YEAH!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #546 on: March 17, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »
Free box seats ftw :hat

Hoping that the Devils are picking the right time to get hot, they stopped the Predators' winning streak on Saturday and then dropped an 8-spot on Vegas last night, both on the road. What's annoying is that I had planned on going out to Vegas for the game last night until something came up at work that meant I couldn't get away this week. Would have been a really fun game to get to.

And so it continues, pitching a shutout in LA today. Don't think it's possible to enjoy watching your team go up 2-0 less than I enjoyed watching the first period of today's game. The Kings outshot the Devils 19-4 and had 4 power plays (including a minute of 5 on 3) but the Devils managed to score twice.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: March 18, 2018, 05:00:43 AM »
I think there are only 2, maybe 3 teams in each division that are legitimate Stanley Cup threats. In the West it is NSH and WPG (if they can get healthy), but since that is unfortunately looking like a round 2 matchup I will throw Vegas in there, but it looks like their magic is starting to run out.

In the east there is BOS, and then maybe PIT (If Murray can get healthy and bring his playoff mojo) and TB (they really haven't played good hockey since December). I'm predicting a NSH-BOS final.

On paper, you're right.  You're reasoning is sound, but that's why they play the games.  #8 seeds can easily topple a #1 - just ask Nashville and LA fans... both #8 seeds this decade that made it to the finals (LA winning).  There's also lots of examples of #7 and #8 teams at least providing a 1st round upset, if not a run to the conference finals.

That's what I love about the NHL (vs NBA).  Don't count anyone out.  A hot goalie, a couple of (un)lucky bounces, a key injury, a 1-2 game slump... all can send top ranked teams to an early golf season.  For that reason, I never make any predictions.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #548 on: March 18, 2018, 06:17:54 AM »
Anyone else watching NHL On The Fly this morning?

:drool:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2018, 06:58:35 AM »

Oh my. Not nearly enough screen time for her :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #550 on: March 19, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »
Ted Donato's son Ryan scores his 1st goal as a Bruin in his 1st pro game. 

I can't imagine dad, who was a Bruin seeing his son score for them.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: March 19, 2018, 06:27:46 PM »
Marchand's goal was filthy.

My brother played on a travel team with Teddy Donato in Pee Wee. Teddy used to skate circles around every other kid.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #552 on: March 21, 2018, 11:37:45 AM »

Whom were we talking about here?  Kelly Nash?  Jamie Hersch?  Sadly, I no longer get NHLN.

On the subject of actual hockey, the Kings' Jekyll and Hyde month continues to infuriate.  A 4-3 OT win over Minnesota on Monday and a 2-1 OT loss to the Jets last night.  All I can say is thank goodness for the ROW tiebreaker.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: March 21, 2018, 01:54:57 PM »
Leafs snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night.  For 36 mins, the dominated the Bolts.  Gave up 1 late in the 2nd, then came out flat for the 3rd to allow 3 more for the regular time loss.   :angry:

Guess that's why TB is best in the east.  Gotta play a full 60 minutes.

And damn a lot of Leaf fans are gonna be mad to lose JVR in the off-season - I just hope there isn't too much resentment on Marleau.  If he doesn't he stays a 25+ goal scorer, I fear he's gonna be very disliked going forward.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2018, 02:08:48 PM »
A couple weeks ago I believe there were 8 teams battling for 5 Playoff positions in the Western conference. Now it looks like Minnesota and San Jose have all but secured their spots. I don't see Colorado running out of steam anytime soon. Calgary and Dallas are falling out of contention fast. So as a Blues fan, I really hope that teams start defeating Anaheim and Los Angeles soon!  I also hope that the Bruins will decide to act like gentlemen tonight for a change and blindfold their goalie to give us a fighting chance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »
A couple weeks ago I believe there were 8 teams battling for 5 Playoff positions in the Western conference. Now it looks like Minnesota and San Jose have all but secured their spots. I don't see Colorado running out of steam anytime soon. Calgary and Dallas are falling out of contention fast. So as a Blues fan, I really hope that teams start defeating Anaheim and Los Angeles soon!  I also hope that the Bruins will decide to act like gentlemen tonight for a change and blindfold their goalie to give us a fighting chance.

Rask isn't starting for the Bruins tonight which is good.....he stole the game the last time we played Boston. Like you said, the way it looks it's one of three teams right now for the final spot....The Blues, LA or Anaheim. The Blues have (2) games in hand on LA and are (4) pts behind them (1) game in hand on Anaheim and are (3) pts behind them.

To even have a shot the Blues need to go no worse than 6-3-1 in the final ten games and even then that'd be close. 7-3 should get it done....if it's better than that then I think they get in. Four of their next five opponents, Boston, Columbus, San Jose and Vegas, are all playoff teams with more points than the Blues. There's also a game with Washington coming up. They'd need to beat Chicago twice (which we just beat them last game so going 3 for 3 in a two week span seems doubtful)  a suddenly hot Arizona (6-3-1 in its past 10) and Colorado on the final day of the season.

Bottom line is....I think the Blues players are golfing early this year and it serves them right.

Dream scenario is they scrape in and draw Nashville the first round and eliminate them.....giving me relief from my brother in law's certain bragging and pain in the a$$ fake fandom over 'his' Preds.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »
I also hope that the Bruins will decide to act like gentlemen tonight for a change and blindfold their goalie to give us a fighting chance.

Rask isn't starting for the Bruins tonight which is good.....he stole the game the last time we played Boston. 

If the Blues can't beat the Bruins tonight, then they deserve to be playing golf early.

No Bergeron
No Chara
No McAvoy
No Backes
No Debrusk (their top offenseive rookie)
No Nash (Rick)
No Rask

Whom were we talking about here?  Kelly Nash?  Jamie Hersch?  Sadly, I no longer get NHLN.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:07:54 PM by TAC »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: March 21, 2018, 04:14:22 PM »
Tim.....I have full confidence that the Blues can find a way to lose tonight against the ailing Bruins  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #558 on: March 21, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
Tim.....I have full confidence that the Blues can find a way to lose tonight against the ailing Bruins  :lol

I'll be watching, for sure!

You  must be happy at least that the Blackhawks are out.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #559 on: March 21, 2018, 04:43:13 PM »

I'll be watching, for sure!

You  must be happy at least that the Blackhawks are out.

For sure. But my issue is that the Blues have been ‘this close’ since I can remember. They were ‘this close’ in the 90’s but Detroit was ‘the team’ then that killed their dreams. Then Detroit fell away and Chicago took their place. Now Nashville has leap frogged them as being ‘the team’

Blues are perpetually on the cusp of reaching that next, elite level. Always in the mix but can never get over the hump.