Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93599 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #455 on: February 27, 2018, 09:41:38 AM »
I'm very excited that the Penguins have shown, over the last couple of days, full intention of trying to maximize the remaining window this franchise realistically has before a rebuild is needed. I'd guess Sid and Geno probably have 2 more seasons or so after this one still producing at an elite rate. The Pens now have Brassard through the end of next year, they are locking up Hornqvist as we speak, Kessel is under contract for a couple more years, they have two young quality goalies, our top d-men are locked up for the next couple years and we have good, young, affordable talent to compliment.

Good on them for trying to maximize the rest of this window before the stars start their career declines. Exciting times regardless of how this season ends for the Pens, the next couple years (barring horrible injury) should be full of potential.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #456 on: February 27, 2018, 09:56:36 AM »
I'm still in shock of how quickly the wheels came off of the Blues this season. I'm not saying they were top dogs by any means, but they 'were' certainly a playoff team that if the right things happen....puck luck....good roll....hot goalie....could have made a fun run of it.

But man, did they bust open at the seams and crap the bed. Just a tailspin of all tailspins and they look confused as all get out. I'll still watch, and root a bit and maybe they make a small run and squeak in the playoffs but there's not a snowballs chance in hell they'd make it out of the first round IF they were able to. And honestly, they aren't going to get in. They're one of only four teams that have made the playoffs six years straight...so I guess the ride is over.

The remainder of my hockey season will be spent Rooting for whoever plays the Predators. They simply cannot win the cup, for the sake of my sanity. I cannot bear to live the remainder of my days having to listen to my brother in law gloat about 'his' team winning the cup, despite him being a new fan of the team. Anyone who plays them will be my favorite team for a series.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #457 on: February 27, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »
I wouldn't close the books on at least a Blues playoff appearance. Keep in mind they traded Shattenkirk at the deadline last year and still made it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
I wouldn't close the books on at least a Blues playoff appearance. Keep in mind they traded Shattenkirk at the deadline last year and still made it.

Yeah, but in that case everyone knew it was coming. This has a whole different 'feel'. Per the comments from Rutherford in the ATHLETIC and the portion I quoted here....there is an obvious division in the locker room, meaning...something is going on with the players and no one can pinpoint it. The talent is there to make a run, but they have looked like a last place AHL team the past 6 games....all losses. There's zero confidence, it's brutal. In Jake Allen's last 14 starts the Blues have scored 1 goal or less!!! Imagine knowing if you give up a goal you're gonna lose!?

They could make a push and get in, I just don't see it happening. I think they'll have a little push back in Minnesota tonight because Statsny was beloved by his team mates but, I can't see it being sustained.

I just think this is exactly what a city gets for naming it's Hockey team the 'Blues'. I mean, WTF did you think would happen?   :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #459 on: February 27, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »
F-ing AMAZING comeback by the Kings against the Knights last night!  Of course, the Kings looked like crap getting down 2-0 right at the start of the third period.  Whatever they pumped into Marc-Andre Fleury in Vegas, I want some.  The Kings finally broke through with a fluke goal by Jeff Carter off a Vegas d-man's head a little past the halfway mark of the third, and Anze Kopitar tied the game with an absolute laser of a one-timer off a beautiful Dion Phaneuf pass with only 11 seconds left in regulation.  OT was tight until Vegas took a questionable penalty, and Dustin Brown made them pay with some really skillful stickwork in front of the net.  He took a crossing pass off his skate, onto his backhand, then to his forehand, and into the net.

The win moved the Kings into the second wild card spot (by virtue of the ROW tiebreaker).  The Pacific Division is still an absolute logjam, with two points separating second place from fifth place.  The Kings really need to pick things up at home if they want to make the playoffs.  Strap yourselves in for the next 18-20 games.  Should be fun!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
I'm very excited that the Penguins have shown, over the last couple of days, full intention of trying to maximize the remaining window this franchise realistically has before a rebuild is needed. I'd guess Sid and Geno probably have 2 more seasons or so after this one still producing at an elite rate. The Pens now have Brassard through the end of next year, they are locking up Hornqvist as we speak, Kessel is under contract for a couple more years, they have two young quality goalies, our top d-men are locked up for the next couple years and we have good, young, affordable talent to compliment.

Good on them for trying to maximize the rest of this window before the stars start their career declines. Exciting times regardless of how this season ends for the Pens, the next couple years (barring horrible injury) should be full of potential.

I'm just glad you took Riley Sheahan from the Wings.  I was tired of the Wings wasting a roster space on him.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

I'm just glad you took Riley Sheahan from the Wings.  I was tired of the Wings wasting a roster space on him.

And I'm glad we took him too. He's been pretty good this year. 8 goals, 16 assists, 24 points. Not bad at all. Plays a good 200 foot game. With the addition of Brassard, he'll slot down to the 4th center, in that position he'll be excellent.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »

And I'm glad we took him too. He's been pretty good this year. 8 goals, 16 assists, 24 points. Not bad at all. Plays a good 200 foot game. With the addition of Brassard, he'll slot down to the 4th center, in that position he'll be excellent.

I think the change of scenery did him some good.  He was starting to regress pretty badly in Detroit, but I don't think Blashill knew how to best deploy him.  I don't like how the Red Wings have two very different standards for their young guys and their vets.  I think it screwed up the development of the young guys.  Then again, I think the Red Wings should have committed to the rebuild after Lidstrom retired.  They wouldn't be in the shape they're in now if Holland had the sense to move up and let Yzerman take over as GM.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
Bergeron out for the B's for 2 weeks with a broken foot from a blocked shot Saturday night.  Not got at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2018, 02:19:00 PM »
Sucks for you guys, but I ain’t crying about it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2018, 03:13:32 PM »
Sucks for you guys, but I ain’t crying about it.

Oh I know you SOB. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »
Bergeron out for the B's for 2 weeks with a broken foot from a blocked shot Saturday night.  Not got at all.

Oh he GOT it! ;D

This blows.

Let the Tommy Wingels era begin!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
Let the Tommy Wingels era begin!! :lol

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
 :lol

Goal and an assist tonight! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2018, 08:06:53 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
As a Sens fan, I miss Wingels. He and Stalberg brought stability to the 4th line
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline dparrott

« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2018, 11:34:58 PM »
F-ing AMAZING comeback by the Kings against the Knights last night!  Of course, the Kings looked like crap getting down 2-0 right at the start of the third period.  Whatever they pumped into Marc-Andre Fleury in Vegas, I want some.  The Kings finally broke through with a fluke goal by Jeff Carter off a Vegas d-man's head a little past the halfway mark of the third, and Anze Kopitar tied the game with an absolute laser of a one-timer off a beautiful Dion Phaneuf pass with only 11 seconds left in regulation.  OT was tight until Vegas took a questionable penalty, and Dustin Brown made them pay with some really skillful stickwork in front of the net.  He took a crossing pass off his skate, onto his backhand, then to his forehand, and into the net.

The win moved the Kings into the second wild card spot (by virtue of the ROW tiebreaker).  The Pacific Division is still an absolute logjam, with two points separating second place from fifth place.  The Kings really need to pick things up at home if they want to make the playoffs.  Strap yourselves in for the next 18-20 games.  Should be fun!

Even better: back to back wins against Vegas!!!  :o :metal :metal :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2018, 04:58:03 AM »
Damn... Florida looks like they're gonna be tough to go against from here on out.  Two games in a row that Luongo has been stellar, and they're playing solidly up and down the lineup.  5 points out with 3 games in hand.  Glad the Leafs only have to face them once more.  And given the environment in Parkland, they are playing inspired hockey.

On the Vegas issue.... maybe the bubble is bursting?  Or did LA just play *that* good.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: February 28, 2018, 06:53:36 AM »

Really, this isn't all that bad. B's will have no trouble making the playoffs anyway, and all that matters is getting in and then going from there. He'll have plenty of time back prior to the playoffs.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #474 on: February 28, 2018, 06:54:44 AM »
Through my flu haze last night, I was still able to make out what was obvious: this Blues team has quit on the season.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: February 28, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »

Really, this isn't all that bad. B's will have no trouble making the playoffs anyway, and all that matters is getting in and then going from there. He'll have plenty of time back prior to the playoffs.

Take a look at our schedule the rest of the year and you'll think differently.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #476 on: February 28, 2018, 07:42:34 AM »
Through my flu haze last night, I was still able to make out what was obvious: this Blues team has quit on the season.

dude....I can't recall the last time they looked THIS horrid!? It's just baffling. Had all the chemistry in the world at the beginning of the season, then Berglund and Boumeester come back from injury....a few games later they lose Schwartz and BOOM.....they are a completely different team.

That piece I clipped into here from Jeremy Rutherford speaks to the issue....and the issue is there seems to be a locker room problem going on. There are simply players on that team that could care less about winning and losing a hockey game, they are in it for the $$ and the lifestyle. He didn't name names in the article but I know who he was speaking towards (Berglund, Sbotka) and it's cancerous.

I'll be interested to see tonight's game because Yeo was livid after that loss last night.....a reporter asked him if he was going to bench veteran players and he said yes and they said well you can't bench (6) of them...to which he said, well....we will start with who we can and go from there.

As I said earlier....my favorite team from this point on in the season is whoever is playing the Predators. They CANNOT win the cup!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: February 28, 2018, 08:40:32 AM »
8-fucking-3. Wow.  And the Preds came back from being down 5-3 in the third!  Jets snatched defeat from the jaws of victory there!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: February 28, 2018, 08:56:21 AM »
8-fucking-3. Wow. 

Seven in a row....given up 16 goals in the last three games  :lol   I mean, there are no wheels left to come off the truck.....the train came off the track long ago now it's just tumbling down the mountainside. It's insane and comical all at once.

#nocupforPreds

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #479 on: February 28, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »

Fair enough, I mean you do play the Flyers soon. :p

Offline pg1067

« Reply #480 on: February 28, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »

Even better: back to back wins against Vegas!!!  :o :metal :metal :metal

Damn straight!  And this one was far more convincing.

And Ryan Reeves...what a prick!

On the Vegas issue.... maybe the bubble is bursting?  Or did LA just play *that* good.

The Kings played like crap for the first 2+ periods on Monday to get down 2-0.  They got a fluke goal about halfway through the third (it bounced off one of their d-man's heads into the net).  The tying goal was just a thing of beauty with Quick pulled.  That seemed to give the Kings life in OT.  Yesterday's game was much better for the Kings.  Four unanswered goals after going down 1-0 early, but a solid game throughout (and Ryan Reeves running around taking stupid penalties in the last 5 minutes or so helped the Kings ice the game).

Vegas went 8-5-1 in February and still has a 10 point cushion in the Pacific Division, so I wouldn't say the bubble is bursting.  The Kings won the first game through puck luck and a bit of grit, but Vegas probably "deserved" to win.  The Kings were just better in the second game, but Vegas continues to impress me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »

Shaking in my boots Nick!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »

Shaking in my boots Nick!

Nick... please do your part in ensuring the Leafs have home-ice advantage in round 1.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
Take about getting on your knees and.......

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2018, 04:11:57 PM »
Take about getting on your knees and.......

No, I was hinting at Philly taking out some of the Bruins at the knees.   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: February 28, 2018, 04:19:58 PM »

Next thing you'll ask Montreal for help.

I can't picture that ever!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2018, 05:26:40 PM »
B's vs. Penn's.  So I will leave this.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
8-3 B's 39 minutes into the game against the Pens? Never expected that!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2018, 07:07:32 PM »
Crazy fucking game.

Love Charlie MacAvoy going right back after Hornquist.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
Crazy fucking game.

Love Charlie MacAvoy going right back after Hornquist.

As do I.  This is the physical game I love to see.