Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94374 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #420 on: February 21, 2018, 07:44:05 PM »
Yes, the Blues miss David Backes dearly. And Kevin Shattenkirk. And Troy Brouwer. And definitely Brian Elliott, who had an occasional bad game, but who was much more consistent and reliable than Allen. At the start of the season, I couldn't recall a time when the Blues looked so sharp and quick, but now it's absolutely painful to watch them, especially since every other Central division team minus the Blackhawks (whose downfall is one of the season's most surprising developments) is really turning up the intensity and doing whatever they can to win. Looking at the current standings is nightmarish if you're a Blues fan, but at least there is still plenty of hockey to play this season and anything can happen; as the Predators showed us last year, it's best to find your groove at the very end of the season. Speaking of Nashville, my money is definitely on them to win the cup this year.

Ehh...I think you and I disagree on Elliot. He’s a good back up goalie....decent starter but I’d still take Allen. Allen has some issues every now and then but his largest issue is support. Take his last 13 starts for instance, in 8 of those 13 the Blues have scored 1 goal or less. That is huge pressure knowing basically that if you let a single goal in your team is going to lose.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #421 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:36 PM »
We got the Isles to worry about tomorrow first. You guys get all rested up for us.

You know it! Is it Hockey Night in Canada?

Every Saturday is HNIC

These obviously are just my thoughts....

1. Do the Blues miss David Backes? Just watch his play on the B's GW goal last night after erasing a 2 goal deficit in Edmonton on the second of B2B and 3rd game in 4 nights.

100% absolutely. Not only do they miss his leadership.....they do not have a single player that is willing to pay the price for a goal like Backes did for us and now does for the Bruins. Now, the Blues have had scoring issues for a LONG time....even when he was around but his leadership is sorely missed, no doubt about it.

And he's handsome. You forgot to mention that he was handsome.  ;D

#alittlehomo
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2018, 12:21:13 AM »
Womens Gold Medal game was insane. Shootout victory for USA. I’m tired now.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:31 AM »

That was intense. I’ve never enjoyed watching a game of any sport more than that one. And to see the US team finally beat Canada was even better (with all due respect to any Canadians on these forums, watching them win a big rivalry game for the gold after coming up short in the same situation for the past two Olympics was so satisfying). It was clear from the beginning of the tournament that it was USA and Canada, and then everybody else. These two teams are so evenly matched and perform on such an elite level that a close game was expected, but I don’t think anybody expected the nail-biter that we ended up getting. This type of game could help put women’s hockey in the spotlight and keep it there, because without the NHL players in the Olympics, it was the US-Canada women’s rivalry that was getting all of the focus instead of the men’s tournament. Hopefully this leads to some big things for women’s hockey because these two teams proved that the women can be just as competitive as the men and I think there’s a market for a women’s hockey league and the potential for a NWHL expansion.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:26 AM »

That was intense. I’ve never enjoyed watching a game of any sport more than that one. And to see the US team finally beat Canada was even better (with all due respect to any Canadians on these forums, watching them win a big rivalry game for the gold after coming up short in the same situation for the past two Olympics was so satisfying). It was clear from the beginning of the tournament that it was USA and Canada, and then everybody else. These two teams are so evenly matched and perform on such an elite level that a close game was expected, but I don’t think anybody expected the nail-biter that we ended up getting. This type of game could help put women’s hockey in the spotlight and keep it there, because without the NHL players in the Olympics, it was the US-Canada women’s rivalry that was getting all of the focus instead of the men’s tournament. Hopefully this leads to some big things for women’s hockey because these two teams proved that the women can be just as competitive as the men and I think there’s a market for a women’s hockey league and the potential for a NWHL expansion.

Yeah....it was a GREAT game!! I felt like the USA had the better of the overall play but Canada capitalized on their two great chances when they happened.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2018, 09:49:18 AM »
And Philly!  Whoulda thunk it after that 10 game winless streak they had in November.

Well, it's only fair since last year we became the first team with a 10-game win streak to miss the playoffs.

Things in Philly are certainly positive now, but not without some concerns. Goalies being injured left and right is one, but I'm hopeful that our new toy from Detroit and Alex Lyon will hold things together to at least get us into the playoffs, prior to which both Elliot and Neuvirth will be due to return. It's also worth noting that a certainly lesser known name in Anthony Stolarz, who was called up a few times last year when we had injuries and played well, has been out all season up to this point with an injury as well. One hidden bonus in getting Mrazek from Detroit is that Stolie can get some work with the Phantoms and help them in what has been a great year thus far in the AHL.

On defense the great thing is we have, and should have for many years to come a great top pair, finally, in Ghost and Provorov. The bad news is that beyond that we're average at best. I do think that in a year or two we'll be among the league leaders defensively, but not sure if the crew now has enough to make a full push. On offense, again, we have some guys like Giroux, Voracek, and Coots who are having phenomenal seasons. We also have anchors like Lehtera, Weiss, and Filpula that will be holding us back for another year or two. The biggest surprise and a big help in our recent push is the young forwards of Patrick and Konecny are having strong play now. Typically those guys start hot and struggle as the season moves on, but for both it seems that the adjustments have been made and hopefully they stay hotter.

As a Wings fan, I was slightly bummed that they gave up on Mrazek, but Ken Holland and Co. mis-handled him.  He should have been given the net as the starter years ago. I'm hoping the change of scenery will do Mrazek some good, because when he's on, he's ON. He has the potential to steal a series or two for the Flyers. Not only that, I want those conditional picks to reach their maximum!

It was a smart move by the Flyers that only really works out well for you guys if he does really well, in which case we can't complain. Getting 5 wins and making the playoffs is not a stretch, so the 4th likely becomes a 3rd. Much less likely he wins 6 playoff games and we get to the conference finals, simply because by that time both our other goalies should be healthy and so he is likely not the starter, let alone getting 6 wins even if we make the conference finals.

The condition on the other 3rd round pick is a stretch as well as we'd have to re-sign him. The only way that happens is if he plays so well we move on from either of Neuvirth or Elliot via trade or buyout as both are still under contract next season.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:28 AM »

I agree with almost all of this (having seen the Miracle on Ice (albeit on tape delay) and a couple of Stanley Cup wins for my team, I won't say this was the most enjoyable game I've seen).  What a nail biter!  The Lamoureux twins came up HUGE in the clutch.  It was looking like Canada was going to squeak out a 2-1 win when Monique got a breakaway.  A lesser player might have gripped, but she showed what a veteran she is, and her release on that shot was amazing.  Jocelyne's goal in the shootout was just plain filthy, and Maddie Rooney stopping Meghan Agosta's last chance shot -- despite Agosta having schooled Rooney earlier in the shootout -- was the epitome of clutch.

The only thing I didn't like was deciding the gold medal with a shootout.  I get why they do it, but I'm not really sure it's necessary.  The U.S. dominated in the shootout, so I'm not too disappointed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2018, 07:17:17 AM »
And Philly!  Whoulda thunk it after that 10 game winless streak they had in November.

Well, it's only fair since last year we became the first team with a 10-game win streak to miss the playoffs.

Things in Philly are certainly positive now, but not without some concerns. Goalies being injured left and right is one, but I'm hopeful that our new toy from Detroit and Alex Lyon will hold things together to at least get us into the playoffs, prior to which both Elliot and Neuvirth will be due to return. It's also worth noting that a certainly lesser known name in Anthony Stolarz, who was called up a few times last year when we had injuries and played well, has been out all season up to this point with an injury as well. One hidden bonus in getting Mrazek from Detroit is that Stolie can get some work with the Phantoms and help them in what has been a great year thus far in the AHL.

On defense the great thing is we have, and should have for many years to come a great top pair, finally, in Ghost and Provorov. The bad news is that beyond that we're average at best. I do think that in a year or two we'll be among the league leaders defensively, but not sure if the crew now has enough to make a full push. On offense, again, we have some guys like Giroux, Voracek, and Coots who are having phenomenal seasons. We also have anchors like Lehtera, Weiss, and Filpula that will be holding us back for another year or two. The biggest surprise and a big help in our recent push is the young forwards of Patrick and Konecny are having strong play now. Typically those guys start hot and struggle as the season moves on, but for both it seems that the adjustments have been made and hopefully they stay hotter.

As a Wings fan, I was slightly bummed that they gave up on Mrazek, but Ken Holland and Co. mis-handled him.  He should have been given the net as the starter years ago. I'm hoping the change of scenery will do Mrazek some good, because when he's on, he's ON. He has the potential to steal a series or two for the Flyers. Not only that, I want those conditional picks to reach their maximum!

It was a smart move by the Flyers that only really works out well for you guys if he does really well, in which case we can't complain. Getting 5 wins and making the playoffs is not a stretch, so the 4th likely becomes a 3rd. Much less likely he wins 6 playoff games and we get to the conference finals, simply because by that time both our other goalies should be healthy and so he is likely not the starter, let alone getting 6 wins even if we make the conference finals.

The condition on the other 3rd round pick is a stretch as well as we'd have to re-sign him. The only way that happens is if he plays so well we move on from either of Neuvirth or Elliot via trade or buyout as both are still under contract next season.

He looked pretty darn good for the Flyers last night.  I hope he keeps it up.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
He was on fire against the Leafs last Sunday.  They were lucky to come away with a victory.  I'm betting he's a solid addition for them, and will supplant one of Elliott or Neuvirth
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #429 on: February 23, 2018, 10:13:45 AM »
Way to trade one of your best players to one of your biggest rivals Rangers. That won’t come back to bite you in the ass at all. :facepalm:
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 23, 2018, 10:18:38 AM »
Way to trade one of your best players to one of your biggest rivals Rangers. That won’t come back to bite you in the ass at all. :facepalm:

Yeah... most times people don't like divisional trades for just that reason.  I get that it's a fire-sale in Ranger-ville, but surely there was another taker outside of the division?  Maybe not though.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #431 on: February 23, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrik-elias-forever-a-devil/

Very happy my friends and I decided to do tickets for his jersey retirement game rather than opening night this year.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: February 23, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
Fly Flyers Fly?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #433 on: February 23, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
Pens going all out for the 3 peat.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »
Apparently I missed a helluva game... watched the 9 minute game recap this morning.  :fistpump:

That second goal by Marchand was a thing of beauty.  Now let's see what the Leafs can do against Tampa tomorrow.

Checking the news... mother-fucker, you bastards grabbed Nash.  He ought to be good for the playoff push.  Thoughts on the trade Tim/Joe?  Did you guys get good value for the rental, or are there intentions of signing him too?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2018, 07:51:36 AM »
Apparently I missed a helluva game... watched the 9 minute game recap this morning.  :fistpump:

That second goal by Marchand was a thing of beauty.  Now let's see what the Leafs can do against Tampa tomorrow.

Lots of crying about the last goal and the goalie interference here in Boston. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: February 25, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »

Lots of crying about the last goal and the goalie interference here in Boston.

I can see that.  4 weeks ago, I'm sure it would've been likely been disallowed. Check my edit above.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 25, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
So... just casually looking at the rest of the schedule, Boston is gonna be in tough.  There's only one 2-day break from now to the end of the season, and 2 back-to-back games (one a home-and-home vs Chicago); 3 games against Tampa (2 in Tampa).  Luckily, you've got a lot of games against shit-kicker teams, but also a handful against playoff bubble teams like Carolina, St.Louis, and Columbus. 

First 1/2 of March is gonna make or break the gap.  Leafs have 5 games from the 28th-16th; Boston has 8.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #438 on: February 25, 2018, 08:46:32 AM »
At the airport heading home. No issue with the goal last night. Love the trade. Talk later.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: February 25, 2018, 01:09:28 PM »

Checking the news... mother-fucker, you bastards grabbed Nash.  He ought to be good for the playoff push.  Thoughts on the trade Tim/Joe?  Did you guys get good value for the rental, or are there intentions of signing him too?

I think its a pretty good trade. Bruins need to solidify two lines. They've had quite a few for us Rounders the last 4 years.

Though Ryan Spooner was finally playing to potential he was going to leave after this year.  Beleskey  has been a bust so no big deal. I truly look at it as Nash for a first-round draft pick.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: February 25, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
*awaits Gary's rage post*.   :corn

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
*awaits Gary's rage post*.   :corn

Ha ha ha. I don’t have the energy for it. If I thought the players actually gave a crap then I would as well. It’s clear there’s a major issue going on in that locker room....

and I’d fire Yeo immediately after the season ends. He’s too soft.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: February 25, 2018, 03:40:37 PM »
2-0 Sabres.  Same old start of late for the B's.  Can't do that in the playoffs.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
2-0 Sabres.  Same old start of late for the B's.  Can't do that in the playoffs.

As long as they don't have to face the Sabres, they should be good.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2018, 03:47:12 PM »
How about the Leafs? They are 1-3 against them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
I'm not saying they'd handle the Leafs, but the ONLY team in the East that they have NO shot against is Washington.
The Leafs would be a great series and they're going to end up playing them anyway.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #446 on: February 25, 2018, 06:15:05 PM »
You say that, but I still believe that here in Minnesota he was let go because he was too hard on the veterans and they all turned on him
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: February 25, 2018, 07:58:41 PM »
You say that, but I still believe that here in Minnesota he was let go because he was too hard on the veterans and they all turned on him

Well, he’s done a 180 then. Entirely too dismissive of some clear veteran leadership issues on the team. And, that team is not responding to his message or plan or whatever you want to call it right now.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2018, 05:00:09 AM »
Pieterangelo was -4 yesterday!?!? 

#goodjob

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2018, 06:27:24 AM »
Pieterangelo was -4 yesterday!?!? 

#goodjob

Well....unless you count the assists he had by giving the puck away that directly led to Nashville goals. They were clean passes....

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #450 on: February 26, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Well, it would still place them below many teams in the league, but the Flyers have a chance tonight to take sole lead of the Metro division with a win. That perspective is even with those 78 points the Flyers would still be 4th, 3rd, and 2nd in the other divisions.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline romdrums

« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2018, 02:19:29 PM »
Ryan McDonough and TJ Miller to the Lightning is the highlight of the day.  Word is Yzerman pumped the breaks on this deal long enough to freeze up any possible Mike Green and Erik Karlsson deals.  That's like knowing Pronger is skating in hard to take out your knee, and moving at the last second and causing Pronger to blow out his knee instead, missing all of the next season in the process.  Well played, Stevie, well played indeed.

Also surprised by Vegas giving up 3 picks for Tomas Tatar.  I was hoping the Wings would clean house, but Ken Holland gives away NTC's and NMC's like candy on Halloween.  Stastny to Winnipeg was a good deal for the Jets.  Impressed that Cheveldayoff made a trade, and a good one at that.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #452 on: February 26, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
Yeah... TB got even stronger today.  Not sure Tatar was worth the price that LV paid.  Sure, the 1st rounder is gonna be a late round pick, but given Maroon went for a single 3rd-round pick, I think LV overpaid for Tatar.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #453 on: February 26, 2018, 07:23:25 PM »
Definitely thought the Devils needed help on D more than anything else, but hopefully Grabner and Maroon should give us a little more firepower for the stretch run.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #454 on: February 26, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
I'm cool with the Flyers having stayed pretty quiet today, I'd have been very displeased if they'd given up part of the future core for a rental, especially given the inflated prices for today's trades.

Also, back in December that was a 9% chance of the Flyers even making the playoffs, and as of tonight they are in sole possession of first in the Metro...I knew they were better than that losing streak, but I didn't see this coming.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol