Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94351 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Doc and Eddie O were a great tandem to listen to whenever I was traveling in the States, or picking up a US-feed.  Hoping things turn out for Eddie.  Doc is as good as it gets for US play-by-play... though I do recognize my exposure to different announcers is very limited.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
Doc and Eddie O were a great tandem to listen to whenever I was traveling in the States, or picking up a US-feed.  Hoping things turn out for Eddie.  Doc is as good as it gets for US play-by-play... though I do recognize my exposure to different announcers is very limited.

Nobody compares to the Doc. For those in the US who watch hockey but aren't like seemingly every Canadian and know hockey as if you were playing in the womb, Doc perfectly toes the line between not babying the listeners by explaining things like nobody knows what is going on (like almost every other US play-by-play announcer does), and recognizing that many US viewers are new to the game and that there has to be some element of "teaching" the viewers.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2018, 01:42:27 PM »
I think a few of the regular Canadian play-by-play crew also have US-based agreements.  Chris Cuthbert I think I heard on an NBC feed earlier this year, and I know Glenn Healey and Ray Ferraro do color (for NBC?).  As much as Pierre McGuire is a total fucking creep, I never had a problem with his in-game coverage... though he gets a too bombastic at times.

For me, Bob Cole will be the voice of hockey.  He was the #1 guy on HNIC from the time I can remember watching it, and is still doing the odd game here and there when there are multiple Canadian home games scheduled on the same day.  Jim Hughson is now anchoring the play-by-play roster... that guy has been around since the late 80s too.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
Sorry, I should have said compared to American team-feeds, not national coverage. Cuthbert is also really good, but Glenn Healey should not have a job in hockey. I agree with you on Pierre, he is super knowledgeable, but sometimes he gets a bit cringey, but overall I think he does a good job. I've always thought he would make a great GM, and I know he's interviewed plenty of times for open GM positions.

But god do I dislike Jim Hughson. His banter seems forced, and he repeats the same calls over and over again, he says (or at least used to) "he shoots the puck intentionally wide" so many times each game that I could no longer watch him. Personally, I think Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro are the absolute gold standard for play-by-play and color. Miller's calls are so exciting and passionate, and Ferraro has the ability to not need to hear his voice all the time and slow down to really think about what wants to say and say it in an articulate and knowledgeable manner. This is why it is such a treat to watch the World Juniors every year when they work together.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
As much as Pierre McGuire is a total fucking creep...

Understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5zXLZHGI4

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 31, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
As much as Pierre McGuire is a total fucking creep...

Understatement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5zXLZHGI4

Knew exactly what that was before I even clicked it.  That's the kind of shit that you can't unsee.  I think Dutch still has nightmares about it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #321 on: January 31, 2018, 03:05:07 PM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #322 on: January 31, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
Pierre McGuire had an orgasm over this save, and quite frankly, when you look at it, you can almost say that you don't blame his reaction.  Almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotDeGtaScs

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #323 on: January 31, 2018, 11:56:45 PM »
Pierre McGuire had an orgasm over this save, and quite frankly, when you look at it, you can almost say that you don't blame his reaction.  Almost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotDeGtaScs

That save was ridiculous.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2018, 05:38:30 PM »
Talk about getting dicked on a non goalie interference call? Geez.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #325 on: February 01, 2018, 06:36:41 PM »

Like clockwork! :lol

I actually missed the goal as I was having dinner, but while I was ironing, they mentioned a coaches challenge on the goal, and I knew there'd be a post on DTF from a certain person.

Sure enough I turn DTF on and there it is!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: February 01, 2018, 06:42:04 PM »

Like clockwork! :lol

I actually missed the goal as I was having dinner, but while I was ironing, they mentioned a coaches challenge on the goal, and I knew there'd be a post on DTF from a certain person.

Sure enough I turn DTF on and there it is!

It was horrid D by the Blues that led to the goal but please watch the play. Pretty clear cut interference

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #327 on: February 01, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
Well, you won't see a more blatant goalie interference, yet the goal still counted.  Similar to how no one knows what a catch is anymore in the NFL, I have no idea what goalie interference in the NHL is (that same play could happen tomorrow and be called goalie interference).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #328 on: February 01, 2018, 06:56:48 PM »
I missed it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #329 on: February 01, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
They were explaining it on our broadcast that because it was a rebound situation, the same rules don't apply. I mean Debrusk totally cleared Allen out, albeit incidentally.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: February 01, 2018, 07:05:18 PM »
They were explaining it on our broadcast that because it was a rebound situation, the same rules don't apply. I mean Debrusk totally cleared Allen out, albeit incidentally.

:lol   If by incidentally you mean he was untouched and pushed Allen seven foot out of the goalie crease then yeah.....incidentally

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
Well, with the Superbowl looming, it's never to early to start getting calls! :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: February 01, 2018, 07:36:15 PM »
Well, with the Superbowl looming, it's never to early to start getting calls! :lol

I don’t think the Pats ‘getting a call’ will Be an issue.  :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: February 01, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
 :tup  thank you NHL. Love it when a horse shit call costs your team a game.....at least (1) point in this case.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »

Holy shit dude. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2018, 05:12:13 AM »
I'm gonna side with the Blues fans here.... Allen was conveniently nudged way out of the crease, and never had the opportunity to get back into the crease to be in position.

Here's the pendulum swinging the other way now ... after the couple of band calls disallowing goals before the All-Star break, refs were told *not* to look for a reason to disallow a goal, so it's going to take something super egregious to call back a goal.  I now see the benefit of all goalie challenges being handled centrally by one team of officials - it's really the only way to ensure consistency for something subjective.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
Leafs v Bruins tonight

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2018, 08:35:59 AM »
BRING IT ON!!

*Grabs hammer*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 03, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #339 on: February 03, 2018, 05:23:24 PM »
Considering the shocking turn of events last time, I think it would be so exciting if the Bruins met the Maple Leafs in the first round

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: February 03, 2018, 05:28:01 PM »
I think the matchup is inevitable this year.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2018, 07:52:39 PM »
Two bad hits by Nashville in 30 seconds. No penalties. What a joke.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: February 03, 2018, 08:20:25 PM »

That’s a typical game against them. What’s even better is the pick play they run when entering the offensive zone that is interference every time. Never a call....it was so bad last year in the playoffs national commentators were laughing about it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: February 03, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »

First one... for sure.  Second one... maybe a 1/2 a second too late, but I don't think the Nashville player either saw the pass, or could stop the hit - he was pretty committed to making it with the Ranger player coming out from behind the net.

I think the matchup is inevitable this year.

It's a virtual certainty, and the Bs will have home ice advantage.   >:(  It's gonna take a big slump by either Tampa or Boston for this not to be a 1st round matchup.  I'm liking the fact that Boston is using up all their good play now.  I'd rather see the Leafs get streak-y in April.   :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2018, 05:50:39 AM »
   I'm liking the fact that Boston is using up all their good play now.  I'd rather see the Leafs get streak-y in April.   :biggrin:

Yeah, that's the fear.
In his last 20 games Rask is 18-0-2 with a 1.58GAA and a 9.43 S%. WTF??

NO way he's that good!

The thing about this streak is that they have really been the better team in most of these games.
I mean, I know I sound like a homer, but I'm shocked at how this has gone.

And while David Backes has only played in 33 games this season due to colon surgery, the Bruins have only lost 3 games in regulation with him in the lineup.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2018, 05:57:23 AM »
Well, I haven't seen the other 19 games, but they were definitely the better team last night.  The were swarming the Leafs like a hive of bees.  No one could get any space... it seemed like where ever the puck was, there was ALWAYS 2 or more black jerseys there within 2 seconds.  And that paddle save Rask made on Bozak was sick.  If they score there to go up 2-1, it might've changed the complexion of the period/game.  Bergeron and Chara did an A+ job against Matthews.

Hopefully the B's cool off a bit before April, otherwise the Leafs will be golfing by the start of May.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »

I only saw the Vesey hit on On The Fly this morning, but all I would say is, "Keep your head up, son.".

The were swarming the Leafs like a hive of bees. 

They've been like that for most of this streak.

Now 3-1 without Marchand.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: February 06, 2018, 05:28:17 AM »
Solid bounce-back by the Leafs after their shellacking at the hands of the Bruins on Saturday.  Glad to see Andersen didn't take too much damage with the skate to the helmet, but even still, McElhinney has been a fantastic backup.  On soft goal, but about a 1/2 dozen 4* saves when the game was still in reach for the Ducks.

Oilers came up big time too... which was nice to see since the Bolts have an upcoming stop in Toronto.  Maybe they're not so invincible.

3 weeks to trade deadline.  Rumours are starting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #348 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:57 AM »
   Glad to see Andersen didn't take too much damage with the skate to the helmet, 

That was scary.

Oilers came up big time too... 

That goal by McDavid was ridiculous from the odd angle. 4 goals? Wow!!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #349 on: February 06, 2018, 07:24:09 AM »
   Glad to see Andersen didn't take too much damage with the skate to the helmet, 

That was scary.

Visions of Clint Malarchuk. 

Oilers came up big time too... 

That goal by McDavid was ridiculous from the odd angle. 4 goals? Wow!!

Sic.  Just sic.