Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 93667 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #1435 on: June 04, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »

Methinks (hopes) the Cinderella story is about to come to an unceremonious ending.

Agreed.  Vegas looks totally overmatched.

Frankly, they were fortunate to get a W in Game 1.  I'm still irked about the Reaves cross-check which allowed him to get the 4-4 goal. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1436 on: June 05, 2018, 07:16:21 AM »
I think the Caps take home the cup in game 5. I remember someone saying that there is no way that Vegas loses the game coming home, but on the flip side with blood in the water I think you could put Ovi out 1v5 in the next game and he'd find a way to will himself to victory. I hope I'm wrong as I'm pulling for Vegas, but after all the magic the Capitals have outplayed them and looked like the better team this series. While the of course looked much better earlier in the playoffs, the Knights do not look like a team that can take 3 straight from the Caps right now.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:43:00 AM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1437 on: June 05, 2018, 07:28:20 AM »
So nice to see Vegas playing like an expansion team finally.  They could've/should've been up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes.

Whoops... spoke too soon.  Looks like it's gonna be an exciting finish.

Yup, that's what I've been waiting for all post-season. Looks like they might be coming back down to earth finally.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1438 on: June 05, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I think the Caps take home the cup in game 5. I remember someone saying that there is no way that Vegas loses the game coming home, but on the flip side with blood in the water I think you could put Ovi out 1v5 in the next game and he'd find a way to will himself to victory. I hope I'm wrong as I'm pulling for Vegas, but after all the magic the Capitals have outplayed them and looked like the better team this series. While the of course looked much better earlier in the playoffs, the Knights do not look like a team that can take 3 of the last 4 from the Caps right now.

Yep. Like Chad mentioned, Vegas was fortunate to get the Win in game 1 and the Caps have just been better, period. I don't see how Vegas Rattles off three in a row....I guess it's not 'impossible' but I think it's highly unlikely. Especially considering what you mentioned about Ovi. I don't see him allowing this chance to slip away....it's pretty much his best and maybe last chance for the Cup considering how hard it is to win it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1439 on: June 05, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
So the Canadian broadcast crew was hypothesizing last night... assuming the Caps bring this home, who gets the Conn Smythe?  Ovi, or Kuznetsov?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1440 on: June 05, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
It seems to me that, in the first three rounds, Vegas was able to control the style of play, whereas in the SCF, Washington figured out a way to deal with Vegas's style, and Vegas has been unable to adjust.

As far as the Conn Smythe, based on the playoffs so far, I think Kuznetsov has the edge.  His numbers are better than Ovi's in every category except goals.  Caveat:  I didn't see a lot of Washington's games in the first couple of rounds.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: June 05, 2018, 09:45:37 AM »
So the Canadian broadcast crew was hypothesizing last night... assuming the Caps bring this home, who gets the Conn Smythe?  Ovi, or Kuznetsov?

I think if Ovi has a 'game' in the Championship clinching win they'll give it to him. If he scores a goal or two, especially if it's the game/cup winning goal.....it'll go to him. Otherwise it'd seemingly be Kuzetsov

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: June 05, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

I think if Ovi has a 'game' in the Championship clinching win they'll give it to him. If he scores a goal or two, especially if it's the game/cup winning goal.....it'll go to him. Otherwise it'd seemingly be Kuzetsov

Agreed... just wonder if there's any subconsciousness of the writers to lean towards Ovi as more of a 'lifetime achievement award'.  In-and-of-itself, Birdman has been the better (statistical) player.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1443 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

Agreed... just wonder if there's any subconsciousness of the writers to lean towards Ovi as more of a 'lifetime achievement award'.  In-and-of-itself, Birdman has been the better (statistical) player.

Outside of if he has a killer clinching game? Like, they'd give it to him anyway no matter if he has a goal and an assist or is kept off the score card?

That'd be interesting to see. My inclination is 'yes'.....yes they will.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1444 on: June 07, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »
Game 5 tonight.  I think whichever team scores first wins.

Since I don't really have a rooting interest, I think I'd prefer to see Washington win the Cup at home.  That always makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience.  I also really hope, if Washington wins, NBC sticks with the postgame through the end of the hoisting of the Cup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1445 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »

Since I don't really have a rooting interest, I think I'd prefer to see Washington win the Cup at home.  That always makes for a more enjoyable viewing experience.  I also really hope, if Washington wins, NBC sticks with the postgame through the end of the hoisting of the Cup.

A - way to go out on a limb with that first statement!
B - I agree... it's always nice to see the winning team do it at home.
C - seriously?  NBC doesn't always show all the post-game stuff?  That's like cutting out before Roger Doger gets to hand over the Lombardi!  No worries about that for me... there's always a ton of post-game coverage for the last game of the year. 

I always stick around for the playoff montage that the CBC caps things off with.  One of my most favorite ones from my childhood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1GjxoMgdIA.  Perfect song to use.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1446 on: June 07, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
<sarcasmfont>I'm shocked that CBC does hockey better than NBC!<sarcasmfontoff>

It mattered more to me in 2012 and 2014, but still....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1447 on: June 07, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »

NBC will likely switch over to the NBC Sports Network. You're on the West Coast, so they might stay with it there, but out here, they'll switch to the nightly local news.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1448 on: June 07, 2018, 07:59:08 PM »
Fucking Orpik, you dick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1449 on: June 07, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
I LOVE Braden Holtby.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1450 on: June 07, 2018, 08:48:59 PM »
Nice play by Orpik on that tying goal.  CBC broadcast crew just mentioned he's +17 for the playoffs.  I'd take him on my blueline.

Why the hate for him, Tim?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: June 07, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »
Brutal giveaway there.

I love it!!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1452 on: June 07, 2018, 08:54:35 PM »
5.5 minutes to go for greatness.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: June 07, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »
Yay for Ovi and a lot of others.

And finally, Cinderella breaks her slipper.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1454 on: June 07, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »
I am reminded of this video below.  The St. Louis Blues: A Legacy of Failure and they listed how a lot of prominent Blues players left to another team and end up winning cups.  I guess you can add TJ Oshie to that list now.  Also, I guess The Washington Capitals: A Legacy of Failure video, also below, can be now deemed void.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUwd3fKsj0

The Washington Capitals: A Legacy of Failure

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1455 on: June 07, 2018, 09:18:28 PM »
There was nobody else who could have gotten that trophy. Ovechkin is the best player of this generation and he more than earned the Conn Smythe.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1456 on: June 07, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
I can't disagree with that... but I think they 'rounded up' to give it to him over Kuznetsov.  But I'm thrilled for it all.  It's been a long time since I've been so happy about/for the winning team.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #1457 on: June 07, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
So happy to see Ovechkin win. I don’t know that I’ve ever been happier for a player on a team I’m not a fan of. He so deserved this!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1458 on: June 08, 2018, 05:54:16 AM »
Happy for Ovechkin, Oshie and the Capitals. I enjoyed that more than I thought I would.  :hat

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1459 on: June 08, 2018, 06:54:03 AM »
Congrats to the Caps, good to see Ovie get one!

There was nobody else who could have gotten that trophy. Ovechkin is the best player of this generation and he more than earned the Conn Smythe.

Yeah.... no way  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1460 on: June 08, 2018, 07:12:17 AM »
Congrats to the Caps, good to see Ovie get one!

Yeah.... no way  :lol

He's definitely behind Sid.  When you look at the modern era players that made the Top 100 of all-time, a case can be made for Ovi to be #2 or #3:

Kane
Toews
Keith
Lidstrom
Datsyuk
(let's not even get into the debate of how Malkin didn't make the Top 100 of all time!)

I'd put Lidstrom ahead of Ovi.

And depending on whether ya want to include McDavid in the same 'generation', that changes the rating as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1461 on: June 08, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »
Ovi was the biggest star (the Dan Marino of hockey) until this SC.  Highly Drafted, a game changer from day one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1462 on: June 08, 2018, 07:22:12 AM »
He's definitely behind Sid.  When you look at the modern era players that made the Top 100 of all-time, a case can be made for Ovi to be #2 or #3:

Kane
Toews
Keith
Lidstrom
Datsyuk
(let's not even get into the debate of how Malkin didn't make the Top 100 of all time!)

I'd put Lidstrom ahead of Ovi.

And depending on whether ya want to include McDavid in the same 'generation', that changes the rating as well.

I'd say McDavid would be the next generation, right? Sid, Ovie, Kane, etc... are all in the same generation, I look at guys like McDavid, Matthews, etc... as the next generation after those guys.

But yeah, Sid is the greatest player of his generation in my mind without question. I agree with the other guys you listed as well, mixed in with those names, I think Ovie would probably sit 2 or 3 for me as well. Dude is an insane goal scorer, but far, far too often throughout his career he has been completely a one trick pony.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1463 on: June 08, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »
It was hard not to smile watching Ovie getting ready to hoist the cup last night. Not a Caps fan but I think last night was about as happy as I'll ever be when a team that I'm not a fan of wins a championship.  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: June 08, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »
It was hard not to smile watching Ovie getting ready to hoist the cup last night. Not a Caps fan but I think last night was about as happy as I'll ever be when a team that I'm not a fan of wins a championship.  :tup

Seems to be the general consensus here.  I was actually clapping my hands as I watched him get the Conn and the Cup.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1465 on: June 08, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »

Seems to be the general consensus here.  I was actually clapping my hands as I watched him get the Conn and the Cup.

For sure. As a hard core Pens fan, I'm happy for the guy. He's played his game at a high level for many years now, good to see him get a cup. Oddly, I'm not happy about anyone else on that team getting a win but I am for Ovie.  :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1466 on: June 08, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »

For sure. As a hard core Pens fan, I'm happy for the guy. He's played his game at a high level for many years now, good to see him get a cup. Oddly, I'm not happy about anyone else on that team getting a win but I am for Ovie.  :lol

+1

But also, I think this is the best Alex we have seen ever. He was a very complete player throughout the playoffs (and for most part of the regular season), blocking shots, checking, finishing plays, scoring, passionate and most importantly, being a vocal leader and leading by example. He was the complete package this year.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1467 on: June 08, 2018, 07:58:53 AM »

Same here.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1468 on: June 08, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
But also, I think this is the best Alex we have seen ever. He was a very complete player throughout the playoffs (and for most part of the regular season), blocking shots, checking, finishing plays, scoring, passionate and most importantly, being a vocal leader and leading by example. He was the complete package this year.

Eh, let's not get carried away here. Did Ovie play very well on this post season run? Absolutely. He just won the Cup and the Conn. Did he score goals? Yup. Did he check and block? Yup. Was he passionate and vocal? Yup. But let's not assign Ovie some status of being a complete player just because his team won a Cup finally. He still really is a guy that sticks to doing a few things well. He has never been and still isn't a great 200 foot player. Winning a Cup doesn't really change that. Yeah he played great, but he's still primarily a sniper, nothing more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, like I said, I'm happy for him. But let's keep some perspective.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1469 on: June 08, 2018, 08:15:36 AM »

Eh, let's not get carried away here. Did Ovie play very well on this post season run? Absolutely. He just won the Cup and the Conn. Did he score goals? Yup. Did he check and block? Yup. Was he passionate and vocal? Yup. But let's not assign Ovie some status of being a complete player just because his team won a Cup finally. He still really is a guy that sticks to doing a few things well. He has never been and still isn't a great 200 foot player. Winning a Cup doesn't really change that. Yeah he played great, but he's still primarily a sniper, nothing more.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, like I said, I'm happy for him. But let's keep some perspective.

I respectfully disagree, not sure what perspective you are talking about. I thought he played balls out this post season, including the defensive side. Yes, he is a sniper, I agree...but he did more than that in this playoff run. And this might be the day we'll see a different Ovechkin maybe playing to a different level. Not a Caps fan here but I give credit where credit is due and he was the best this post season.