Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 94884 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #1400 on: May 29, 2018, 08:03:39 AM »
Fantastic game... but a timely non-call on Reaves' cross-check on Carlson to allow him to snipe the 4-4 tying goal.  And wtf with Perron jumping on the ice.  How was that not a game mis-conduct?

Two hot goalies, and we get 9 goals + EN.  Wow.

A fantastic game with some definite officiating mishaps. If that Wilson hit is seen by an orange stripe chances are it's a 5-minute major, especially with his history in these playoffs. That was just stupid and unnecessary. That said I think the Knights still got the better of things considering Perron was allowed to stay and they got a goal instead of a Reaves penalty.

I mostly agree... though Marchessault played it up.  You could see him mouthing "I'm fine" several times after he finally got his ass up.  Joke's on him for having to go to the quiet room and miss a couple of shifts for embellishing it.  Yes, it was definitely a late hit, and worthy of an interference call - 5 minute major for what?  It wasn't an elbow, it wasn't a board, wasn't a high-stick.  I don't think I've ever heard of a major for interference.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1401 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
Fantastic game... but a timely non-call on Reaves' cross-check on Carlson to allow him to snipe the 4-4 tying goal.  And wtf with Perron jumping on the ice.  How was that not a game mis-conduct?

A fantastic game with some definite officiating mishaps. If that Wilson hit is seen by an orange stripe chances are it's a 5-minute major, especially with his history in these playoffs. That was just stupid and unnecessary. That said I think the Knights still got the better of things considering Perron was allowed to stay and they got a goal instead of a Reaves penalty.

I mostly agree... though Marchessault played it up.  You could see him mouthing "I'm fine" several times after he finally got his ass up.  Joke's on him for having to go to the quiet room and miss a couple of shifts for embellishing it.  Yes, it was definitely a late hit, and worthy of an interference call - 5 minute major for what?  It wasn't an elbow, it wasn't a board, wasn't a high-stick.  I don't think I've ever heard of a major for interference.

A little interference is one thing, but that was a blatant dirty blind side hit. And call it interference, roughing, unsportsmanlike, or whatever, I believe any penalty can be a major penalty.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: May 29, 2018, 11:09:41 AM »
Paul Kariya would've told him to skate it off.   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1403 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

I don't think Marchessault embellished it, the way Wilson's elbow (or maybe the way Marchessault's elbow gets hit into himself) slams him in the ribs he probably couldn't breath very well. :lol Or just as likely, it probably really stung because he got legitimately trucked.

As for the major for interference, there's definitely precedent, though it doesn't happen very often. Kerry Fraser tweeted out last night that the reason the "5 and a game" for interference got put in was for late, blindside hits, which I would say this hit is classified as. Some people are calling for a suspension, but I don't see it. It was late, but not ridiculously late (see: Stevens), there was no head contact and no injury. The only reason I could Wilson getting suspended is because he has been suspended 3 times THIS SEASON, and has already had 3 (or is it 4 now?) hits looked at by DOPS these playoffs. At some point DOPS has to lay down the law and teach players a lesson that constantly having one foot over the line can accumulate into a suspension, even if the "current" hit isn't suspension worthy in a vacuum.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: May 29, 2018, 11:24:10 AM »
As for the major for interference, there's definitely precedent, though it doesn't happen very often. Kerry Fraser tweeted out last night that the reason the "5 and a game" for interference got put in was for late, blindside hits, which I would say this hit is classified as. Some people are calling for a suspension, but I don't see it. It was late, but not ridiculously late (see: Stevens), there was no head contact and no injury. The only reason I could Wilson getting suspended is because he has been suspended 3 times THIS SEASON, and has already had 3 (or is it 4 now?) hits looked at by DOPS these playoffs. At some point DOPS has to lay down the law and teach players a lesson that constantly having one foot over the line can accumulate into a suspension, even if the "current" hit isn't suspension worthy in a vacuum.

Ahh... wasn't aware.  Thanks for the clarity.  And I agree with the rest of this post.

And FWIW, I don't think it was a 'nothing' hit, or that it was 100% (ie, soccer-like) embellishment, but I don't think it was the kind of heavy/hard hit that normally keeps people down resulting in a play stoppage (sure, it was icing anyway), but he was down for a solid minute.  I think there was some embellishment.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my view.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1405 on: May 29, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
I'd solve it the old fashion way and tell Reave's to beat the $hit out of him. Wilson can't handle someone like him in a fight.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1406 on: May 29, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
I'd solve it the old fashion way and tell Reave's to beat the $hit out of him. Wilson can't handle someone like him in a fight.

Sorry, that's just silly, the Knights need their goal scorer on the ice, not in the box for 5. :D
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1407 on: May 29, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
I caught most of the second half of the game.  Crazy offensive game!  I REALLY don't want Vegas to win, but this series promises to be entertaining AF.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1408 on: May 30, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Another awesome game tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: May 30, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »
Are you kidding me with that stick save?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1410 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »

That was amazing.  I thought it went in.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1411 on: May 30, 2018, 09:04:14 PM »
The funny thing about that save is, if the Vegas player gets the puck up at all, it's an easy goal.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: May 30, 2018, 09:28:52 PM »
I was just waiting to hear the foghorn when I saw the pass go cross-ice.  Unbelievable stop by Holtby.  90% luck, but still... he didn't quit on the play.   :hefdaddy

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: May 30, 2018, 11:04:47 PM »
I was just waiting to hear the foghorn when I saw the pass go cross-ice.  Unbelievable stop by Holtby.  90% luck, but still... he didn't quit on the play.   :hefdaddy

The majority of those incredible saves like that are sheer luck. But they are awesome to see!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1414 on: May 31, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »

That was amazing.  I thought it went in.

Completely ridiculous!  I couldn't believe it didn't go in.  I saw it and just said, "how?!" until they showed the replay.  Hopefully the Caps ride that to a sweep of the two games in Washington.  I think Vegas unquestionably wins game 5, so it will be almost imperative for the Caps to be up 3-1 going into that game.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1415 on: May 31, 2018, 12:20:42 PM »
Holtby has killed the B's since he's been in the league.  He has our #. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1416 on: May 31, 2018, 04:08:02 PM »
So I love the idea of getting a team captain to write something instead of just somebody in the organization, but am I wrong for reading this email and thinking, "wow, talk about a PR guy writing a letter and putting it in front of the captain to sign."

For the AHL Phantoms, btw:

Phantoms Fans,

What an incredible ride we had together this season! From the very first puck drop on Opening Night until the final whistle of the playoffs, your unwavering support was a key factor to our team's success. Opposing teams acknowledged your involvement and the intense noise level you created and we certainly felt your incredible support each and every time we took the ice at PPL Center.

Together, we accomplished great things this season, including an Atlantic Division Championship, the second-best overall record in the American Hockey League, and the most home wins (27) of any of the 30 AHL clubs. These were all team accomplishments, and we couldn't have achieved any of them without your dedication and commitment.

We look forward to seeing and hearing you again next season. As a team, we took another huge step this season but our goal of capturing a Calder Cup Championship is not yet complete. Together though, we know we can get there.

Thanks again for all of your support throughout another incredible season. We hope you have a wonderful summer and look forward to being back together again next season.

Your Captain,

Colin McDonald

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1417 on: May 31, 2018, 07:44:54 PM »
Yeah, that's bad, Nick.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1418 on: June 02, 2018, 07:03:48 PM »
Amazing first period of Game 3.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1419 on: June 02, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
 I really want to know where this guy gets his suits.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1420 on: June 02, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »
 :rollin  :rollin :rollin

Getting lost on the Congress joke! OMG

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1421 on: June 02, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »
Plenty of good action so far in the second period.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1422 on: June 02, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »
Anybody catch "Home" playing during a stoppage in play about halfway through the second period? That was a nice surprise.
Brave
Murder
Day

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1423 on: June 02, 2018, 07:47:50 PM »
That's cool. I'm listening to music on my iPod so I'm not really listening to the telecast.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1424 on: June 03, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
Next stop. NHL for my 6 year old nephew.   I think his face is frozen with a smile.  :lol

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:29:37 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1425 on: June 04, 2018, 05:05:31 PM »
I love Keith Jones. Just sayin'.

Watching the pregame, and the outdoor crowd is really engaging him, and he's reciprocating.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1426 on: June 04, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
I'm surprised Fleury is still in the net  :lol This is definitely not what I was expecting, especially because Vegas seemed to start the game pretty strong. I'm rooting for the Caps though so I'm happy  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1427 on: June 04, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
I'm rooting for Vegas but that is because of my undying hatred for Brooks Orpik. I really don't mind the rest of the Caps though. Love Holtby, Carlson, Oshie.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1428 on: June 04, 2018, 08:31:10 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Orpik myself, but I've been rooting for Ovechkin to win a cup for a long time now. There are a lot of likable players on that team though like Holtby, Oshie, Carlson as you mentioned. I've also been a fan of Backstrom since he entered the league.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: June 04, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »
So nice to see Vegas playing like an expansion team finally.  They could've/should've been up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes.

Whoops... spoke too soon.  Looks like it's gonna be an exciting finish.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: June 04, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »
Yes!  Phew.... I hope.

Fleury has been uncharacteristically mediocre (at best).

Twice Ovi has passed on a 2-on-1.  SHOOT THAT DAMN PUCK SON!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1431 on: June 04, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »
Vegas looked like they were starting to build some momentum to go into the next game with but the Caps squashed it pretty quickly  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1432 on: June 04, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
A little YYZ over the PA at the Caps’ arena.  Nice!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: June 04, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »
Not too impressed with Gallant.  Putting Reaves out there as a penalty killer with less than a minute to go is a bush league move.

What a putz.

Methinks (hopes) the Cinderella story is about to come to an unceremonious ending.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1434 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »

Methinks (hopes) the Cinderella story is about to come to an unceremonious ending.

Agreed.  Vegas looks totally overmatched.

A little YYZ over the PA at the Caps’ arena.  Nice!

I caught that, too! :metal