Author Topic: GLOW (Netflix)  (Read 7101 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
GLOW (Netflix)
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
Anyone else watched this yet? I've only just finished the first episode, and thought it was hilarious, and somehow was totally unaware that I was also about to be blessed with not one, but two Alison Brie nude scenes.

Oh right, the premise is that they're starting an all female wrestling show called GLOW (Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling), set in the 1980s. If you're into wrestling, or into Alison Brie, check it out. If you're not into either of those things, I don't know what you want.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: GLOW (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
I will be checking this out....you had me at Allison Brie
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
...........I don't need a plot. I'm in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
Sold!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
No idea who Allison Brie is.

Is this based on the real GLOW promotion/show/whatever it was back in the day? I remember watching that! Bailey, Sasha Banks, Charlotte, they are all talented in the sports entertainment realm, but those GLOW women I would not want to bump in to in a back alley at night.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:32:32 PM »

Is this based on the real GLOW promotion/show/whatever it was back in the day? I remember watching that! Bailey, Sasha Banks, Charlotte, they are all talented in the sports entertainment realm, but those GLOW women I would not want to bump in to in a back alley at night.

I believe it was inspired by the real thing, although I have no idea how similar it actually is, since I'd never heard of it until now, and it's a comedy.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 04:23:25 AM »
It's been in "my list" since the trailer...Haven't started it yet though, but will tonight after reading your OP. :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
I thought I remember hearing one of the former divas was in GLOW, Ivory perhaps?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Anyone else watched this yet? I've only just finished the first episode, and thought it was hilarious, and somehow was totally unaware that I was also about to be blessed with not one, but two Alison Brie nude scenes.

Wait... what? 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »
I was also about to be blessed with not one, but two Alison Brie nude scenes.

You have my COMPLETE attention.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Adami

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:16:40 AM »
Watching the pilot episodes.

Was worried it'd change my opinion on Alison, but nope.....god damn perfect.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 01:43:58 AM »

Wait... what? 

Yes, you read that right, my friend.

I finished off the season yesterday, and the rest of it was great too. I don't know if there's a second season planned, but since the season ends with them finally doing their first wrestling show, I'd like to see more of the wrestling side. It looked like 95% of the wrestling was actually done by the actresses, which I was impressed by. It also made it feel more legit.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:58:18 AM »
Going to start watching this tonight. Luckily my wife wants to watch it too which bumped it up the priority list.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:20:31 AM »

Wait... what? 

Yes, you read that right, my friend.

I finished off the season yesterday, and the rest of it was great too. I don't know if there's a second season planned, but since the season ends with them finally doing their first wrestling show, I'd like to see more of the wrestling side. It looked like 95% of the wrestling was actually done by the actresses, which I was impressed by. It also made it feel more legit.

I read one or two interviews around this getting released, I know they had Chavo Guerrero (and I'm sure others) on hand to train the actresses.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
I read one or two interviews around this getting released, I know they had Chavo Guerrero (and I'm sure others) on hand to train the actresses.

Yeah, I heard that too. And there are several wrestler cameos during the season, like Joey Ryan and John Morrison/Johnny Mundo, so I'm sure there was plenty of help there.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
outside of Allison Brie being naked for a couple scenes....i wasn't overly impressed by the first episode. I'll give Ep. 2 a shot but I didn't find myself having any desire to continue to watch.....

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »
So I'm quite a few episodes in right now, and it's pretty rough.

While I truly did enjoy the two nude scenes of Alison Brie, it took a REALLY long time for this show to figure itself out.

The manager or whatever he is, is awesome and always entertaining, the girls are....less so. So many of them have no personality or interesting story arc. They're finally getting better, and Alison Brie's character is finally getting likable, but man, this show will likely lose a lot of people with how long they take to get anywhere.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »

While I truly did enjoy the two nude scenes of Alison Brie, it took a REALLY long time for this show to figure itself out.

The manager or whatever he is, is awesome and always entertaining, the girls are....less so. So many of them have no personality or interesting story arc. They're finally getting better, and Alison Brie's character is finally getting likable, but man, this show will likely lose a lot of people with how long they take to get anywhere.

I liked the first episode but the second episode really lost me. The whole miscarriage thing was cringe worthy and you're right that Alison Brie's character is totally unlikable and the only great character is the director.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »

I feel the same. I watched the first (4) episodes....but haven't returned to it in a good week. I figure I'll watch it all....but it just hasn't 'hooked' me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 05:53:46 AM »
Felt like shit last night and had an unproductive evening. That means Netflix binging. I plowed through the first 7 episodes of this show. I'm really enjoying it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 09:13:04 AM »
I watched the first 5 episodes of this show so far, and I loved it. And yeah, damn, Allison Brie in 80s spandex.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
Finished this show last night. Loved it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 12:21:57 PM »

The producers were on NPR when I was driving home after work, and it is indeed based on the original. I figure only a handful of us remember it, though.

And re the comments about taking a while to find itself, that's completely by design. The producers went into this with the plan that the actresses would learn to do what they do during the first season. It was expected to be slow, but realistic as these ladies are having to learn to do their own stunts and develop their ring personae as the show progresses.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »
Starting it.... first off, if I have Scandal's The Warrior in my head for any length of time, I won't make it through to another episode.

And jesus, talk about 80s nostalgia overload...

Anyways, I'll report back when I'm further into it...

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 12:15:31 AM »
And re the comments about taking a while to find itself, that's completely by design. The producers went into this with the plan that the actresses would learn to do what they do during the first season. It was expected to be slow, but realistic as these ladies are having to learn to do their own stunts and develop their ring personae as the show progresses.

Perhaps, but then I'd say it was a bad move. I stuck with it till the end, but I was really tempted to give up by the 3rd episode or so. I feel like a lot of people may have given up early on. It's not that it was slow, but it just didn't do much. Yes, I get that there could be some symbolic parallelism going on there, but that doesn't necessarily translate to good story telling. It didn't help that it took till the middle/end for any of the characters to become likable.

It ended very well though. Makes me hope there's a second season, though I'm not sure if it could pull it off well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »

Perhaps, but then I'd say it was a bad move. I stuck with it till the end, but I was really tempted to give up by the 3rd episode or so. I feel like a lot of people may have given up early on. It's not that it was slow, but it just didn't do much. Yes, I get that there could be some symbolic parallelism going on there, but that doesn't necessarily translate to good story telling. It didn't help that it took till the middle/end for any of the characters to become likable.

It ended very well though. Makes me hope there's a second season, though I'm not sure if it could pull it off well.

I'm going to finish the season...I'm on episode 5. But any other show I've begun to watch I've powered through it and knocked it out. This one, isn't calling be back to it like the others. I'll get to it when I can type of thing. I've stuck around for worse shows so it's not like this one is horrible....but it's nowhere near a 'must see' for me.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »

I'm going to finish the season...I'm on episode 5. But any other show I've begun to watch I've powered through it and knocked it out. This one, isn't calling be back to it like the others. I'll get to it when I can type of thing. I've stuck around for worse shows so it's not like this one is horrible....but it's nowhere near a 'must see' for me.

I found episode 5 was when the show really started picking up for me. Don't get me wrong, I liked the whole show, but I'd definitely say episodes 6-10 were better than 1-5. I really like some of the stuff in the first half of the season though. I loved the scene where a couple of the girls were training out back with the brothers.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 07:38:11 PM »
Yeah Brian, I watched episode 5,6 and 7 and 5 was a turning point. It's certainly more interesting now and gaining its footing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »
Killed the series in three days, not gonna say it was top tier stuff, but thoroughly entertaining, and over the top on the nostalgia. Loved all the inside jokes on the Sam's coke habit, that shit had me in stitches.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Finished it up. Like RJ said, it was entertaining and I'm a sucker for anything 80's. Definitely took a bit to get going but it did finally find its legs.

I read that there is a real documentary on NETFLIX about the actual GLOW folks and the whole story. Gonna try to look that one up.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 05:56:03 AM »
Finished it up. Like RJ said, it was entertaining and I'm a sucker for anything 80's. Definitely took a bit to get going but it did finally find its legs.

I read that there is a real documentary on NETFLIX about the actual GLOW folks and the whole story. Gonna try to look that one up.

I started watching that Glow doc on Netflix the other day but had to leave after about 20 minutes. It was good from what I saw, and you can see the inspiration some of the show's characters were drawn from. I'll finish it when I get some time.

Sidebar, apparently the woman that plays Welfare Queen is/was a wrestler in real life as well.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
Just because.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 03:03:57 PM »
Just watched the first episode. Liked it a lot.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2017, 06:36:30 PM »
Bash and Sam?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »
Anyone think it's possible that Ruth's abortion procedure didn't take? They spent an awful lot of time on the pregnancy test and in the abortion clinic to just have that possibly story arc go to waste. What did it accomplish/how does it play into the next season? I suppose Ruth could tell Debbie's husband and that could stir up some drama, but idk. Ruth asked Debbie if she wanted to go out and get a drink at the end of the last episode, so I think she definitely went through with the procedure.