Author Topic: Road Rage  (Read 3246 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Road Rage
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 05:50:36 AM »
 :lol

You know I had a year of calculus and never had real life applications for me and I forgot all learned a billion years ago.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »
People are idiots on the road, but I am by and large a defensive driver. Don't get me wrong, I fly down the highway at 70 (but not in the fast lane, otherwise Stadler might show up in St Louis and ride my ass and lay on the horn because he wants to go 90 :lol :lol :lol :lol), but I do not feel the need to rage at all on the road.  It's stupid.

Again, DTF does not disappoint.

I'm in the same boat as Kev.  I drive with the flow of traffic, sometimes faster.  I'll get frustrated and flip the occasional bird, but never 'road rage'.  Nothing good can come from it.

When reading this thread yesterday, I was thinking the same thing. I'm too old to road rage, I've seen too much to care anymore. Mrs. P and I joke about that this emblem anywhere on your car is a universal sign for, "suddenly pull in front of me and slow down abruptly" but we've maintained that we are content to watch for idiots and use the road when they are finished.

But then, on my way home from work yesterday a booger-eating moron in a brand new Cadillac performed the above mentioned maneuver from a right hand turn lane across two lanes to my left turn lane (while we were turning left), and missed the front bumper of my car by scant inches. I almost went after the guy...it was so close. I thought of this thread and my previously smug attitude and realized I was just a bad day away from buying a rocket launcher and side mounting it to my car. I think the hood emblem would make a fine targeting reticle.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »
St. Louis always seemed relatively normal or tame compared to other places. Chicago and now LA are just horrible.

I live near Chicago, and despite my astonishment of aggressive drivers, I'm used to local traffic.  Highway traffic generally moves at a good pace, with the exception of rush hour.  It's just that people think that the left lane is for doing more than 75mph (speed limit is 55), so if you're doing 75 in the left lane and passing traffic, people trying to do 95 in the left lane get mad because you're not passing traffic fast enough.  Traffic jams are awful though, crawling along for miles on end.

I just spent 4 days in St. Louis for work and had to commute 5 miles from the hotel to the office on the highway.  There were very few backups, and if there were, they cleared up in 5 minutes.   But there were a ton of assholes racing up the entrance lanes to the highway and then trying to cut into traffic at the last second. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »
I live and drive in LA.  As I get older, my road patience is diminishing.  For non SoCal peeps just imagine driving on a Sunday on a 7 lane (each direction) freeway and it's parking lot stopped traffic.  Now imagine those same roads during rush hour.  :lol  Honestly I used to be much calmer on the road.  I quit smoking 6 years ago and I think that the smoking actually helped keep me calmer  :hat

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
I live and drive in LA.  As I get older, my road patience is diminishing.  For non SoCal peeps just imagine driving on a Sunday on a 7 lane (each direction) freeway and it's parking lot stopped traffic.  Now imagine those same roads during rush hour.  :lol  Honestly I used to be much calmer on the road.  I quit smoking 6 years ago and I think that the smoking actually helped keep me calmer  :hat

I made this LA Traffic rant video when I was last out there.  LA traffic truly is misery and rightfully earned it's ranking as worst city for traffic in the US (and I didn't even experience a 7 lane parking lot).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
Right. Gotta do calculus to make sure I'm not speeding!

The only thing that doesn't suck about kilometers is that it seems like you're going faster.  :rollin
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:43 PM »
When we went out there two summers ago, we went into the city on a Sunday. We were staying at Disney, went up into Hollywood and then to a Dodgers (day) game. We left the game early and drove back to Disney and we really had no problem. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »

Yeah, everytime I go to bitch about SF traffic, I remember, and am grateful it's not LA traffic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:18 PM »
I was in L.A. in 1991.  Tuesday evening, 10:30pm 6 lane highway and a traffic jam.  I turned to my friend and asked, "How the hell can you live here?"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC