Author Topic: Road Rage  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
Road Rage
« on: June 23, 2017, 08:20:56 AM »
I've experienced quite a bit of road rage this week and while in the moment I was able to avoid any repercussions, looking back on it it's pissing me off more and more.

I've done quite a bit of driving this week in addition to my normal commute so I guess the increased occurrences are to be expected but they were pretty severe. At one, at a zipper onramp (alternate right of way, two lanes merge into one) a guy in a Honda decided he was going to fly around me and force his way in front of me almost causing me to rearend him. When I honked my horn he reached out the window and flipped me off and proceeded to swerve left and right all over the lane as a preemptive way to keep me from even entertaining the idea of going around him (why would I on a now one-lane ramp?). Continuing to lean his head out of his window and shout what I assume were obscenities at me (had my windows up, music on, didn't care at the time), he drove erratically trying to block any potential maneuver he felt I might try to "one-up" him. When we merged onto the highway, I jumped two lanes over to put as much space between us as possible (there was room), so he ht the gas, zoomed up my ass, tailgated me and flashed his high beams for about a quarter mile before veering off and going his separate way. All because he cut me off and I honked at him.

Another time, traffic was merging into my lane and I slowed down to let a car in front of me. As I caught back up to fill the space another car decided he was going to try to occupy the space I was attempting to fill, and I inadvertently boxed him out. So he gets behind me, gets over one more lane, pulls even and then abruptly swerves into my lane, forcing me onto the shoulder where I punched it to get around traffic and managed to luck into a space further up. I'm sure he felt like a big man.

And finally, I was trying to get into the turn lane to turn into my office park and had my left blinker on. There was a car in the left lane but there was plenty of room so I merged over. Suddenly the car I had seen was right on my ass and violently swerving into the lane I came from. As he passed me, a 70-something year old man stuck his head out his window and via lipreading I discerned that he yelled, "ASSHOLE" at me. You know, because I used my turn signal and merged into a lane where there was room to do so.

Maybe I'm being a little sensitive, maybe it just comes with the territory. But I've been driving nearly 20 years and, to me, that's a pretty concentrated bit of incidents to happen in the span of 5 working days.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Road Rage
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:28:43 AM »
You are not.  People are self centered these days and are getting aggressive.  It on the rise.  I got 2 looks this week like "Get the fuck out of my way" looks.  It's weird.  It's not like I'm moving like a grandma or cutting anyone off.  I try to let it slide and not let it bother me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:36:37 AM »
I have a reputation for being angry.  Deserved at times
I'll be honest, not many things in life piss me off more than someone weaving in and out of lanes at 90 miles an hour narrowly missing other cars. Its so reckless and selfish I can't take it. That and people texting and driving make my blood boil. Its a horrible thing to say and my wife gets so pissed when I say to her after I see a car driving that aggressive..

"Man I hope I see that car crashed into a guardrail at some point up ahead. I'll laugh at them and it will be awesome"

She HATES when I say shit like that. She always responds with something like, "please don't say things like that, its not right!"
My response is usually... "fuck um"

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 08:45:18 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:38:05 AM »
I'll admit I was pissed off at the one that nearly ran me off the road. I try to keep a level head but I will admit I'm not perfect. At all.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
Oblig:
Were you wearing a "tapout" shirt?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:14:22 AM »
I started driving 36 years ago.  Since that time, the culture of commute has gotten exponentially worse.  Used to love driving.  Now I can't stand it.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Having driven about 1500 miles over the course of last week, I feel ya on the road rage.  Luckily for me, most of it were empty country roads where no one will bother me.  However, it seems people in Seattle don't understand the idea of stay to the right except to pass.  My frustrations were nuts driving around there.  Then my gf takes the wheel and does the same thing which had me getting on her ass to stay right  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
I don't like people in general, but the shit I see on the roads is outrageous. I am in a very congested area, just outside of a major city and its like the road warrior each morning. People weaving in and out of lanes going 20 mph over the speed limit, people cutting each other off, people tailgating my ass even in the slow lane. The list goes on. Its like no one on earth ever heard of the concept of leaving 10 mins earlier each morning...

Oh well. To hell with them. but anyway, I used to have pretty nasty road rage in my early 20's, but now that I am 30, for whatever reason, I just don't care anymore. People are never gonna change, so I changed. I just expect them to be dumb, and drive defensively. I anticipate them cutting me off, slow down a little and when they do, I am just like what evs. And when I see someone driving like a maniac, I just distance myself from them. So at this point I am pretty zened out while on the road.

The only thing left that really is still is annoying is when I am doing 65 in the slow lane and they ride my ass. Just pass me ffs.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
What is it about driving that's gets people so worked up? Like when people honk behind me because I waited for one more car to pass before turning out onto the road. That wasted probably 7 seconds at most. I can't imagine getting that mad that easily. Life for them must be unbearable.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:48:28 AM »
One of my more recent past jobs was driving a van to transport train crews over long distances. Essentially, I was a long haul cabby for one of the major rail roads.

I spent a great deal of my time on major interstate roads, and depending on the time of day/night that I was driving, I would encounter road rage on an almost daily basis. People texting while driving is common place. That includes many police. I know that it's frustrating, but the only thing that you can do is be vigilant about spotting the behaviour. It seems to be a cultural thing these days, and I haven't seen any positive effect by the new laws that seem to be popping up in response to the issues.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »
Funny, I was just reading an interesting story yesterday about this, involving a motorcycle vs. car.  WITH VIDEO!  https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/06/23/santa-clarita-road-rage-accident-caught-on-video/

Summary, motorcyclist moves right up against a car to his right, and then forcefully kicks the car.  The car then swerves left, initially hitting the bike (the bike stays upright), and then hits the barrier.  The car then bounces and comes across several lanes to the right and hits a Cadillac SUV, causing the SUV to flip.  The biker takes off.

My initial viewing led me to believe that the biker was 100% at fault, and that the car either lost control or the driver freaked and oversteered.  In comments, people suggested that the driver intentionally tried to hit the biker in retaliation for the kick.  Watching it again, that is definitely an option as well, but you can't really tell for sure either way.  We also don't know what happened beforehand.  But there was likely something significant that led the other driving behind who filmed the whole thing to start filming in the first place.  What is certain:  If they catch the biker, he is in BIG trouble for (1) kicking the car, and (2) fleeing the scene.  The car driver may also be in trouble if it can be proven that he tried to retaliate and hit the biker, or if there were other shenanigans by him before the events in the video.  But the biker is in trouble for sure.

Takeaway:  People are dumb AND dangerous.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 11:56:09 AM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
Someone at work literally just shared that video with me.  Crazy.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 11:02:27 AM »
I usually also experience road rage after I get shorted a quarter at the drive through.
:neverusethis:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
I really do make an effort to try to stay level headed on the road. This was just a really concentrated spat of assholes this week.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »
Kind of related but I've been behind two different cars who did not have working brake lights. I thought about calling the police but I was sure if I should call on something like that. If I see a reckless or drunk driver I don't hesitate to call 911. At the very least they'll be on the look out.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
Well, let's see.  Watching that video, yeah the biker was an idiot trying to kick the car.  But, the driver tried to inflict bodily harm on the biker and then failed to control vehicle.  Biker fled the scene.  I'd say they are both in deep shit.  However, the driver endangered lives and will probably be in the most trouble.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 02:50:07 PM »
Not so much road rage but I had a small incident that could have lead to something bigger. Was driving on the highway at rush hour and kept my distance at the car infront of me because I know a "stop wave" can come instantly. All of a sudden a car fills the space infront of me creating a much smaller distance, literally seconds later a stop wave occurs and the ripple effect backwards was so quick that I had to emergency break to not hit the car infront of me and of course everybody behind me did the same. Luckily nothing happend but it makes you think how I would not like to be infront of a semi-truck when something like that happens.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 04:33:23 PM »
Not so much road rage but I had a small incident that could have lead to something bigger. Was driving on the highway at rush hour and kept my distance at the car infront of me because I know a "stop wave" can come instantly. All of a sudden a car fills the space infront of me creating a much smaller distance, literally seconds later a stop wave occurs and the ripple effect backwards was so quick that I had to emergency break to not hit the car infront of me and of course everybody behind me did the same. Luckily nothing happend but it makes you think how I would not like to be infront of a semi-truck when something like that happens.
I drive a very large box truck at work some days, and when traffic stops like that it is usually an extremely close call for me. Can't imagine how bad it is stopping an even larger vehicle.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 04:35:48 PM »
I don't think I experience too much road rage since moving to the OC.  However, I'm sure there are people behind me, when I'm at the front of the right lane, that are a little miffed at me for not turning on red.  I'm sorry.  I have to make sure there are no cars coming at a certain distance at the lane I want to turn to and I'm not risking a huge repair bill to jump the gun too early, unless you want to pay it for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:38:04 PM »
People are idiots on the road, but I am by and large a defensive driver. Don't get me wrong, I fly down the highway at 70 (but not in the fast lane, otherwise Stadler might show up in St Louis and ride my ass and lay on the horn because he wants to go 90 :lol :lol :lol :lol), but I do not feel the need to rage at all on the road.  It's stupid.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »
People are idiots on the road, but I am by and large a defensive driver. Don't get me wrong, I fly down the highway at 70 (but not in the fast lane, otherwise Stadler might show up in St Louis and ride my ass and lay on the horn because he wants to go 90 :lol :lol :lol :lol), but I do not feel the need to rage at all on the road.  It's stupid.

St. Louis always seemed relatively normal or tame compared to other places. Chicago and now LA are just horrible. I, luckily, am a very very calm driver and don't get road rage, but  am surrounded by so many selfish drivers. I remember just a few days ago, trying to politely switch lanes in traffic. Having my signal on and everything. As soon as I began turning to merge, the car behind the open space sped up and made sure I couldn't enter.

But also remember, for all of these dick drivers out there, there's a ton that are being polite, courteous and just not being paid attention to.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 04:45:31 PM »
It's one of those areas where if nothing is happening, people are being okay so you don't necessarily notice it. I tend to not give too many shits about assholes as long as they don't create danger. I consider actual road rage to occur when safety is threatened. While the old guy angrily calling me an asshole might not qualify because no one was endangered, the other two I encountered could have very easily caused accidents or harm. Being a dick driver is one thing but endangering others is a whole different level, in my opinion.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 04:51:31 PM »
I don't generally take action when I experience road rage. I just scream and curse within the confines of my vehicle (with the windows up). Lately I've been pulling out the George Costanza "You know we're living in a society!"

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 05:18:42 PM »
Oblig:
Were you wearing a "tapout" shirt?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

DTF doesn't disappoint.  Before even entering the thread, that was precisely what I was thinking.

Again, DTF does not disappoint.

I'm in the same boat as Kev.  I drive with the flow of traffic, sometimes faster.  I'll get frustrated and flip the occasional bird, but never 'road rage'.  Nothing good can come from it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2017, 05:23:32 PM »
No one in Canada road rages you bunch of sickly happy people.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »

Come to my city.  You'll learn the truth... it's 40% south-asian.  None of those fuckers know how to drive.  I'm serious as a heart attack here ... my city has the highest insurance rates in the country - over 65% more than the average.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 05:30:02 PM »
Driving through Toronto is hard.  6 lane highway with exits on both sides screwed up this American.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 05:58:21 PM »

Come to my city.  You'll learn the truth... it's 40% south-asian.  None of those fuckers know how to drive.  I'm serious as a heart attack here ... my city has the highest insurance rates in the country - over 65% more than the average.

My family comes from Southeast Asia and sadly, this is true.  Heck, one time where my family was heading to a restaurant to eat, we literally saw an Asian women carelessly crash into a car in the parking lot and then left the area as if nothing happened.  This is one of the reasons why we do not go to restaurants in Orange County as much nowadays.  Parking is always too crowded and people are just bad drivers there.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »
Driving through Toronto is hard.  6 lane highway with exits on both sides screwed up this American.

I've never been to, or driven in Canada. But I've been told that the way that they have their road signs can be confusing to American drivers. I can't remember specifically what I was told, but it seems to throw us off somehow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:27 PM »
Yeah, WTF is a km?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 07:51:33 PM »
Yeah, WTF is a km?

Konfusing 'Mericans?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
Right. Gotta do calculus to make sure I'm not speeding!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 05:26:45 AM »
Right. Gotta do calculus to make sure I'm not speeding!

Or just look at the secondary speeds on your speedometer?

Not sure what's confusing about the signs... I've driven all over the US, and they seem pretty similar.  Perhaps it's the express/collector basket-weave system of the major highways?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
Combo of never driving there before and exits on both sides. I've only seen that in Connecticut.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:27 AM »
Combo of never driving there before and exits on both sides. I've only seen that in Connecticut.

Sure, some exchanges between different highways are on the left - but I've seen that all over the US too.  I can't think of any off-ramps on the left.  I guess when you're busy doing calculus while driving, it can be confusing.  :neverusethis: