Author Topic: Upcoming Travel  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Bruinsfan25

Upcoming Travel
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
I'm not one for posting very often on here but I travel a lot for my job. Actually just got back from a week in the Chicago area. I'm leaving for Houston on Sunday but I'll only be staying for 2 days before I fly into Seattle for 4 days (Tuesday-Friday). Not sure where everyone here is from but was just wondering about things to see/do after work in the area. Don't have a ton of free time in Houston but the Astros are out of town and wasn't sure what else might be worth checking out. Staying right near the Willowbrook Mall so I figure that should kill some time. Made the mistake of doing the same thing at the Charlestown Mall in St Charles and it was essentially abandoned lol. The Space Needle is definitely happening but I wasn't sure if I should book tickets ahead of time. Plan on catching the Mariners Tuesday night after I land as well. Also have two trips to Edmonton next month. Luckily I'll be near the West Edmonton Mall so at least I'll have that to take up some of my time. Just throwing it out there for suggestions. I know I'm kind of all over the place. Thanks for any input.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Upcoming Travel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »
If you ever come to Connecticut, get some food at Bears Barbeque in Hartford.

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
I live in Massachusetts so that would only be about a 2 hour drive I'm guessing. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:42:13 PM »
If you ever come to Connecticut, get some food at Bears Barbeque in Hartford.
If they're fucking open. Bastards.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 09:15:23 PM »
I'm not one for posting very often on here but I travel a lot for my job. Actually just got back from a week in the Chicago area. I'm leaving for Houston on Sunday but I'll only be staying for 2 days before I fly into Seattle for 4 days (Tuesday-Friday). Not sure where everyone here is from but was just wondering about things to see/do after work in the area. Don't have a ton of free time in Houston but the Astros are out of town and wasn't sure what else might be worth checking out. Staying right near the Willowbrook Mall so I figure that should kill some time. Made the mistake of doing the same thing at the Charlestown Mall in St Charles and it was essentially abandoned lol. The Space Needle is definitely happening but I wasn't sure if I should book tickets ahead of time. Plan on catching the Mariners Tuesday night after I land as well. Also have two trips to Edmonton next month. Luckily I'll be near the West Edmonton Mall so at least I'll have that to take up some of my time. Just throwing it out there for suggestions. I know I'm kind of all over the place. Thanks for any input.
Texas Monthly just released the newest BBQ issue (every 4 years, I think) and Houston fared quite well. I'd hit at least one of these places. I'd probably opt for The Pit Room just on the basis of that taco picture. One of those and a 3-meat would make a fine meal.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

You should probably seek out some good Tex-Mex. It kind of started down there and they still keep up. I don't have any recommendations, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out something good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex_cuisine_in_Houston

And if you're a Deftones fan they're playing Woodlands Monday night.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:53 AM »
Texas Monthly just released the newest BBQ issue (every 4 years, I think) and Houston fared quite well. I'd hit at least one of these places. I'd probably opt for The Pit Room just on the basis of that taco picture. One of those and a 3-meat would make a fine meal.

You should probably seek out some good Tex-Mex. It kind of started down there and they still keep up. I don't have any recommendations, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out something good.

All of those places in Houston are about a half hour from where I'm staying so I may have to try a place or two. Always make an effort to avoid chains and fast food when I'm on the road. Thanks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »

All of those places in Houston are about a half hour from where I'm staying so I may have to try a place or two. Always make an effort to avoid chains and fast food when I'm on the road. Thanks.
Always call ahead with the BBQ. The two places in the top ten are closed on Sun-Mon, and any good BBQ place will usually only be open until they sell out of what they cook.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:50 PM »

I was just in Seattle for the first time last week, only for one day, but I went to the Space Needle.  Got to say, I kind of think it's a ripoff, but if you've never been, it's still cool to get the view.  It's 30 bucks, and I bought a ticket the day of.  You can get a discount if you bundle it with other things in the park to see/do which we were going to do with the Chihuly Glass and Garden too, but it happened to be closed for a private party.

If you enjoy the legal herbs out there, I suggest you visit Have A Heart dispensary (about 15 minute walk from the Space Needle).  Amazing experience purchasing legal herbs there. 

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 05:22:41 AM »

I was just in Seattle for the first time last week, only for one day, but I went to the Space Needle.  Got to say, I kind of think it's a ripoff, but if you've never been, it's still cool to get the view.  It's 30 bucks, and I bought a ticket the day of.  You can get a discount if you bundle it with other things in the park to see/do which we were going to do with the Chihuly Glass and Garden too, but it happened to be closed for a private party.

If you enjoy the legal herbs out there, I suggest you visit Have A Heart dispensary (about 15 minute walk from the Space Needle).  Amazing experience purchasing legal herbs there.

That's disappointing to hear about the Space Needle but I've been to the observation deck of the Prudential in Boston, the Willis and Hancock Tower in Chicago, the CN Tower in Toronto (albeit when I was 10) and the Fernsehturm in Berlin so I'd like to add the Space Needle to that list. Was even thinking of getting dinner there if that's an option. Not too concerned about price since I can charge some stuff to the company. What time of day did you go? Most of my sight seeing is probably going to be after work. Also, not an herb enthusiast but thanks for the info regardless.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Yea if price is not an issue then eat dinner up there.  You'll have to make a reservation I believe.  I went in the evening, right before sunset but it was a Tuesday.  It was dead.  Not many people around at all.