Poll

Have you ever experienced ghost activity?

Yes
5 (10.4%)
No
43 (89.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Have you ever experienced ghost activity?  (Read 6278 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Have you ever experienced ghost activity?
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »
I haven't, no. Closest is experiencing true sleep paralysis and seeing a ghostlike figure staring at me from the shadows, but that's it. No laughing children bouncing a ball in the hallway for me
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
I haven't, no. Closest is experiencing true sleep paralysis and seeing a ghostlike figure staring at me from the shadows, but that's it. No laughing children bouncing a ball in the hallway for me

I used to have ISP really bad as a kid. Absolutely terrible. To this day, if I fall asleep on my back with during the day time it's almost guaranteed to trigger an episode. It's really weird. The nighttime episodes are rarer these days, but still happen often enough. Over the years I've figured out a process of getting myself to snap out of it that begins with the jaw, then the knuckles, and then the tongue. If I can get my self to concentrate on those things in that order, I can usually snap myself out of an episode within 10-20 seconds.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2018, 12:39:18 PM »

I used to have ISP really bad as a kid. Absolutely terrible. To this day, if I fall asleep on my back with during the day time it's almost guaranteed to trigger an episode. It's really weird. The nighttime episodes are rarer these days, but still happen often enough. Over the years I've figured out a process of getting myself to snap out of it that begins with the jaw, then the knuckles, and then the tongue. If I can get my self to concentrate on those things in that order, I can usually snap myself out of an episode within 10-20 seconds.

Dunno if it's a related thing, but sometimes I know I'm dreaming and try to wake myself up by thrashing around. I'll wake up having almost flung myself out of bed

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:42 PM »
I've tried conjuring up a succubus a few times, no luck to date...
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2018, 01:19:25 AM »
It is past midnight and I'm reading this thread in a dark bedroom.  I read all of page 1 in this thread and at about this time, my dog started acting up for no reason and suddenly jumped off the bed. Dangit, now I'm spooked..   :o
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 06:27:44 AM »
Never experienced a ghost event, but I do believe in contact from beyond.  Just before I got married, I stopped at the cemetery where my grandma was buried.  I hadn't been there in 12 years since her funeral - we were always close with her, and she'd come with us on so many road trips and summer vacations.  It was mother's day, so I thought I'd stop and visit since I was driving by to visit my parents.  I called my mom to ask where here grave was.  Immediately as I find it, the sky opens and it starts raining.  I got my umbrella out of the car and stood there for a bit, talking to my grandma about everything that had happened in 12 years of my life, and was going to happen with my upcoming wedding.

As I turned around to leave and walk over to my car, the rain stopped.  That was so much like my grandma - she was mad at me for not having visited her for so long, so she made sure it rained on me the entire time I was there.   I truly believe that she did that.  :lol 

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 07:27:20 AM »
The thought of there NOT being a "spirit" world that transcends the natural world we live in would be incredibly depressing.  If there was a big accidental explosion 14 billion years ago that will one day wind down and end in nothing more would be the most incredible waste imaginable.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 07:48:32 AM »
The thought of there NOT being a "spirit" world that transcends the natural world we live in would be incredibly depressing.  If there was a big accidental explosion 14 billion years ago that will one day wind down and end in nothing more would be the most incredible waste imaginable.

Well, do you know what sucks even more? not having been existed at all in the first place. As one can learn from Richard Dawkins' quote at the end of Nightwish's The Greatest Show on Earth, the set of possible DNA combinations vastly outnumbers the set of actual people existing or having existed. We won the cosmic lottery of existance, one day it most likely will end forever, so what? we were still around to see it all. And for the record, you haven't existed for 14 billions of years, did it bother you that much all those eons you didn't exist since you were eventually born?  :D

I think there can be beauty, and sense, even in front of "cosmic accidents" such as the Big Bang. Love? chemical reactions in the brain, a natural instict of reproduction. Northern lights? it's cosmic winds and radiations. Sunsets and sunrises? it's just our little planet turning around towards that gigantic ball of fire that one day will kill us all. So what. It's all still beautiful and there for us to be enjoyed. Leonardo and everyone who ever lived at his time died, but we still have his masterpieces.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 08:44:33 AM »

Well, do you know what sucks even more? not having been existed at all in the first place. As one can learn from Richard Dawkins' quote at the end of Nightwish's The Greatest Show on Earth, the set of possible DNA combinations vastly outnumbers the set of actual people existing or having existed. We won the cosmic lottery of existance, one day it most likely will end forever, so what? we were still around to see it all. And for the record, you haven't existed for 14 billions of years, did it bother you that much all those eons you didn't exist since you were eventually born?  :D

I think there can be beauty, and sense, even in front of "cosmic accidents" such as the Big Bang. Love? chemical reactions in the brain, a natural instict of reproduction. Northern lights? it's cosmic winds and radiations. Sunsets and sunrises? it's just our little planet turning around towards that gigantic ball of fire that one day will kill us all. So what. It's all still beautiful and there for us to be enjoyed. Leonardo and everyone who ever lived at his time died, but we still have his masterpieces.

In my concept of a "spirit" realm, time and the physical world are temporary constructs that serve some larger purpose.  In a universe that sprang from nothing and returns to nothing I tend to look at the bottom line.  If when the last atom ceases motion it's all done then it was all in vain and nothing ever mattered.  Good, evil, beauty, ugly all are at that point subjective and the "beautiful sunset" is no prettier than a cancerous lung.  If it all ends, then in effect it never happened.  If nothing endures to recognize what happened, there is no way to prove it ever did happen. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »

I have heard/read this kind of notion before, but I really can't understand it. To me cosmology is one of the most engrossing and beautiful things to think about. It's a dance of physical laws that has been going on for 13 billion years, producing stars, making them explode, and in turn producing the atoms that made our lives possible. Clouds of gas slowly coalesce into rotating lumps that become planets etc etc.
In comparison I don't quite see the allure of some hypothetical "ghost realm". It always smells a bit of "this place sucks, I want something else".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2018, 10:19:08 AM »

The fact that 14B years of cosmic evolution lead to me getting an opportunity to experience the universe is incredibly satisfying. I'd rather get a few dozen years as a meat coated skeleton hitching a ride around a star than never having experienced consciousness.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »

I have heard/read this kind of notion before, but I really can't understand it. To me cosmology is one of the most engrossing and beautiful things to think about. It's a dance of physical laws that has been going on for 13 billion years, producing stars, making them explode, and in turn producing the atoms that made our lives possible. Clouds of gas slowly coalesce into rotating lumps that become planets etc etc.
In comparison I don't quite see the allure of some hypothetical "ghost realm". It always smells a bit of "this place sucks, I want something else".

Can't they both be true? 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
well, one *is* true for sure, the other is more a question of belief. But that's not what I was commenting on, AngelBack's comment seemed to indicate that the physical view is somehow bereft of value or beauty. I can definitely say that understanding cosmology has given me great satisfaction and has never lacked meaning.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2018, 01:05:20 PM »
It's a quibble, but I think the best you can say here is that "one has far more discrete empirical and theoretical evidence supporting it."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 01:12:28 PM »
Nope. My husband thinks we have a ghost and I think that's just f'n silly.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2018, 01:41:21 PM »
Well, why does he think that?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:08 PM »
It's a quibble, but I think the best you can say here is that "one has far more discrete empirical and theoretical evidence supporting it."

That's the kind of relativization of fact vs opinion that got us into our current quagmire of fake news though. Just sayin.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2018, 07:29:38 AM »
Because he took out the trash and when he came back in he didn't remember putting another liner it. So it had to be a ghost....

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »
Because he took out the trash and when he came back in he didn't remember putting another liner it. So it had to be a ghost....

I love how so many ghost stories involve something like that, a light being turned off, a faucet being turned on, or a door being opened. If these ghosts can interact with the matter of the physical world, why are they doing cryptic stuff like that? Why not pick up a pen and write me a note?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2018, 07:37:16 AM »

You're married to Ozzy?   That's pretty cool. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:21 AM »

I love how so many ghost stories involve something like that, a light being turned off, a faucet being turned on, or a door being opened. If these ghosts can interact with the matter of the physical world, why are they doing cryptic stuff like that? Why not pick up a pen and write me a note?

Just know that that's validation that they are here, they are with us, and they approve of what you're doing....

... says Theresa Caputo EVERY. SINGLE. EPISODE. of Long Island Medium. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 07:52:06 AM »

Because they're dicks.  :biggrin: they're like the devil, why possess, say, the President of the Unites States and launch a nuclear war when you can possess a random dude and make him speak gibberish instead?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline AngelBack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »

Because they're dicks.  :biggrin: they're like the devil, why possess, say, the President of the Unites States and launch a nuclear war when you can possess a random dude and make him speak gibberish instead?

I cannot quit laughing at that, ghosts are dicks, priceless !!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2018, 01:59:46 AM »
Does anyone recognize this girl from a ghost movie? Maybe Ringu or something?

EDIT: Nevermind. Mystery solved.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:08:55 AM by Zook »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
If I were to experience any kind of strange activity, I wouldn't attribute it to a ghost (the spirit of a person who has died). However, I do believe there are unseen wicked forces at work so as to mislead people into thinking they are ghosts of the departed.
  This should probably be in the religious forum, but the scriptures point out that the dead cannot harm or talk to us. The demons who originally rebelled along with satan can mimic people who have died and give them a so called "religious experience" and toy with people's emotions.  It also says that the devil keeps transforming himself into angel of light in order to deceive people.
 I personally have lost very close family and friends in death. These are the type of people that would have somehow contacted me by now if it was possible.  So I believe what the Bible sais, when it sais the dead are conscious of nothing at all.  It does give the hope of a future resurrection in peaceful conditions for the ones we have lost.. That's a whole other subject that probably belongs in the other forum, so I digress..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
One time I came home from work late at night while it was raining and, because I was so tired and worn, I didn't bother to get out of the car. I reclined the seat to take a little doze before going upstairs to my apartment. I fell sound asleep and I heard a SLAP in my dream. A little girl hit my windshield and then ran away. The noise in my dream was loud enough or startling enough or whatever to wake me up, so I looked at the passenger seat and saw a small handprint. I got out of the car to wipe it off, only to find it was on the inside of the window.

I never fell asleep in that car again.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2018, 01:40:30 PM »
One time I came home from work late at night while it was raining and, because I was so tired and worn, I didn't bother to get out of the car. I reclined the seat to take a little doze before going upstairs to my apartment. I fell sound asleep and I heard a SLAP in my dream. A little girl hit my windshield and then ran away. The noise in my dream was loud enough or startling enough or whatever to wake me up, so I looked at the passenger seat and saw a small handprint. I got out of the car to wipe it off, only to find it was on the inside of the window.

I never fell asleep in that car again.
Dang!  By looking at your avatar, I think I know who you better call...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 08:19:29 AM »
If I were to experience any kind of strange activity, I wouldn't attribute it to a ghost (the spirit of a person who has died). However, I do believe there are unseen wicked forces at work so as to mislead people into thinking they are ghosts of the departed.
  This should probably be in the religious forum, but the scriptures point out that the dead cannot harm or talk to us. The demons who originally rebelled along with satan can mimic people who have died and give them a so called "religious experience" and toy with people's emotions.  It also says that the devil keeps transforming himself into angel of light in order to deceive people.
 I personally have lost very close family and friends in death. These are the type of people that would have somehow contacted me by now if it was possible.  So I believe what the Bible sais, when it sais the dead are conscious of nothing at all.  It does give the hope of a future resurrection in peaceful conditions for the ones we have lost.. That's a whole other subject that probably belongs in the other forum, so I digress..

Obviously your opinion and your experience, but one thing I would add - and I say this about any "spiritual" or "religious" phenomenon - is that I believe it's dangerous to ascribe human thoughts/feelings/emotions to that which has experience of other dimensions/realms.  I believe, above all things and with certainty, that mankind is fallible and flawed.   We are wrong about a lot of things, and in fact, many things.    So to say "oh, if there was a God, children wouldn't get sick", I say, "how the f--- do we know?  Perhaps there is a rationale that God has that we don't know, or maybe even can't understand?"    Maybe when people die, it's like King's 11-22-63, and what sounds like an awesome idea is really not that great an idea after all.   

Offline Lt. Frank Drebin

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »
I can't say positively, but the first time my wife and I stayed in Gettysburg, PA at the Farnsworth House, my wife and I had a disagreement the one morning and she left the room.  As soon as she left, I started smelling a floral scent.  It lasted the whole few minutes my wife was gone and when she came back, she noticed the scent too.  It then quickly went away.  One of the few supposed ghosts in that place is said to be accompanied by a floral scent..  I've also heard a few ghost stories from people I trust.  My dad says that he heard dishes being stacked in the kitchen of a 1800's saloon his band used to play in.  The owner said that it's just the ghost.  My dad called bs, went to the kitchen door, flung it open, and the noise stopped.  He never found anyone hiding or any evidence of someone escaping.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2018, 06:52:10 PM »
Late to the party, but I'm bored at work and reading old threads.

When I was growing up, we had a cat named Ming who was really cool.  Big fluffy grey cat.  Eventually I moved out, my parents moved and bought a condo and took Ming with them.  By this time he was getting up there in years.

I had a dream one night that I was back in the old house, and Ming came walking into my bedroom.  I reached down to pet him, and he looked up at me and just faded away.  He was gone.  I woke up feeling very sad for some reason.  I'm tearing up now as I write this.  The next time I talked to my parents, they told me the sad news that Ming had died.  I asked them when, and it was a few days prior.  He'd died sometime during the night, the same night I had the dream, therefore possibly about the same time.  My wife says that his spirit stopped by to say goodbye one last time before moving on.  Um... maybe?

I don't know about ghosts, but there are things in this world that we don't understand, and science cannot explain all of it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2018, 06:42:57 AM »
I don't know about ghosts, but there are things in this world that we don't understand, and science cannot explain all of it.

You may be right, Orbert, but the important thing is, scientist will always continue to try! That's how understanding is expanded and progress is made.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2018, 07:02:47 AM »
Indeed, after every "science can't explain it" there has to be a "yet".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »

Science would be a lot further along towards explaining it all if it weren't for these superstitious beliefs holding it back for hundreds of years. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2018, 09:03:40 AM »

Science would be a lot further along towards explaining it all if it weren't for these superstitious beliefs holding it back for hundreds of years. :biggrin:

Or that it's ok with not being able to have a scientific explanation for everything (like why I and mrs.jingle once got a huge whiff of my grandmother's perfume while hiking up a mountain in Calgary), and dedicated more money and resources to things that are explainable/solvable.   :biggergrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion