Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68118 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »
That's a strange move, more so considering that apparently he was very interested in going to the Spurs which would have made a lot more sense. I'm not sure how good a fit he will be in the D'antoni system but since he only has one year remaining in his contract maybe he's trying to test the waters and if things don't go the right way he can always go into FA next summer.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
This move seems interesting... Harden was playing at MVP level at the 1 spot... I know it is CP3, but why mess with it?

Adrian Wojnarowski‏ @WojVerticalNBA
After Chris Paul agreed to opt-in on contract, Clippers are trading All-Star guard to the Houston Rockets

Sources: After Paul informed Clippers he'd sign w/ HOU in FA, teams agreed to deal sending Beverley, Decker, Williams and 2018 FRP for Paul.

Wow. Why? Because remember what D'Antoni does with PGs. Chris Paul is going to average like 15 assists next year, and Harden is going to get even more easy buckets. They basically traded bench depth and a first round pick for a future Hall of Famer. Best backcourt in the NBA, bar none. Incredible, ballsy move.

Second best back court.  ;)  But, yeah, they definitely sacrificed depth for talent, and I'm not sure that will pay off.  The Warriors owned the Rockets, but the Rockets were able to keep it respectable by the Warriors still obviously respecting Harden, but still having to respect the other players on the court enough to stay spread out.  But they are so solid on defense that they are build to demolish teams with 2 all-stars on no depth anywhere else on the court. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:52 PM »
That's a strange move, more so considering that apparently he was very interested in going to the Spurs which would have made a lot more sense. I'm not sure how good a fit he will be in the D'antoni system but since he only has one year remaining in his contract maybe he's trying to test the waters and if things don't go the right way he can always go into FA next summer.

He will be an EXCELLENT fit in D'Antoni's system. The system is based off of highlighting the point guard. Every PG that has ever played for D'Antoni has had career seasons. Trust me. If I had to bet, whatever the record for assists per game average is, it will be broken by Chris Paul next year.

No, bosk1, BEST back court in the NBA. Stop being a homer.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »

He will be an EXCELLENT fit in D'Antoni's system. The system is based off of highlighting the point guard. Every PG that has ever played for D'Antoni has had career seasons. Trust me. If I had to bet, whatever the record for assists per game average is, it will be broken by Chris Paul next year.

Well, Harden and Nash are more similar with each other than Paul, he's a different kind of player. Not saying he won't thrive and break records next season, just that I see him more as a floor general than a 7 second offense guy and I feel his game is more in line with a team like the Spurs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:17 PM »

We'll see.  With Curry and Thompson frequently being referred to as the best back court of all time, forgive me for having my doubts.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

We'll see.  With Curry and Thompson frequently being referred to as the best back court of all time, forgive me for having my doubts.

Bah. Best shooting back court of all time, yes. But from an all-around perspective? Absolutely not. I'd put Thomas and Dumars ahead of them from an all-around standpoint. Defensively, those two were underrated terrors.

Well, Harden and Nash are more similar with each other than Paul, he's a different kind of player. Not saying he won't thrive and break records next season, just that I see him more as a floor general than a 7 second offense guy and I feel his game is more in line with a team like the Spurs.

That's a really good point about Chris Paul. But I think he'll adapt pretty well. D'Antoni's system is also dependent on quick court vision, and Paul is way up there on that. I guess we'll find out. Great drama to watch for next season!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »

Bah. Best shooting back court of all time, yes. But from an all-around perspective? Absolutely not. I'd put Thomas and Dumars ahead of them from an all-around standpoint. Defensively, those two were underrated terrors.

It's hard enough to compare guys that play against each other. I'm not touching comparisons with prior eras.  :lol 

But I will say, don't sleep on the Warriors' defense either.  Their entire defense, as well as just the back court defense of Curry and Thompson, has been at the top of the league for the past 4 years.  But anyway, as to Harden/CP3, that will be a great combo.  But I can't call it the "best" until they prove it.  So we'll see.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
I will say that Curry/Thompson is one of the best of all time. I'm just not ready to put them on top. I know they play defense (thank you to Knicks legend Mark Jackson). But I mean defensively, huge difference between them and the guys back in the day.

You're right though, hard to compare eras. I'll say Curry/Thompson is the best I've seen in the last 20 years.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Bosk when someone says that some other player/team is/was better than the warriors

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »
:lol  Nice try, but you're thinking of Kev's reaction to "player X is better than LeBron." 

But the thing is, is there a team that has been a better team than them for the last three years?

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
Ok, now that CP3 trade suddenly makes more "sense"... but... but his son ain't no big baller... just trade his butt away! That's why the Clippers will always be the Clippers. Lol!  :lol  :lol  :lol

Here's some information on the Chris Paul trade. First the MICRO:

Paul's relationship with Doc Rivers started to deteriorate rapidly after the Clippers acquired Austin Rivers. Several members of the team felt Austin acted entitled because his dad was both the coach and the President of Basketball Operations. In the view of the tenured players, Austin Rivers never tried to fit in, and when players tried to address the situation with him, he still did not respond the way the core of the team wanted him to. It led to resentment within the locker room, which often played out during games. One of Paul's biggest contentions with Doc was that Paul, and other players, felt Doc treated Austin more favorably than other players. He would yell at guys for certain things during games and practices, but not get on Austin in the same manner for similar transgressions.

But what really solidified Paul's dissatisfaction with Doc was a proposed trade involving Carmelo Anthony last season. New York offered Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic to the Clippers in exchange for Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce and Austin Rivers, a deal to which Rivers ultimately said no. That event led Paul to feel that keeping his son on the roster was more important to Doc than improving the team. So, ultimately, Paul lost both trust and faith in Doc. As one league executive put it, "Chris despises Doc."

(I was also told that when Paul met with the team to inform them of his plans, Jerry West was not in attendance. It was only Doc and Lawrence Frank.)

MACRO

This move is a win-win for Chris Paul, and it was all part of a master plan. By opting into the final year of his current contract and pressuring the Clippers to trade him to Houston, Paul will be in the exact same situation next summer. He can re-sign with the Rockets for 5 years and $200+ million or sign a 4-year deal for about $150 million with another team. In addition, he will save several million dollars in state income tax.

Also, by being committed to the Rockets for only one season, it gives him a year to see if he can actually co-exist and pursue a title with James Harden. But even beyond that, this move gives Paul more flexibility to join LeBron James in 2018. If he stayed in LA or signed the max deal with the Clippers and forced them to do a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, Paul and LeBron could only join forces at one location. Now, they will have the ability to pick and choose wherever they want to go as a tandem, which could be Houston, LA {Lakers or Clippers (provided Doc is no longer with organization)}, or any other destination in-between.

https://www.facebook.com/MrMichaelEaves/posts/1239427866166362
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
But the thing is, is there a team that has been a better team than them for the last three years?

Just this past 3 years, of course not! But their 3 year run, while possibly the 2nd best of all-time, still falls short of the 96-98 Bulls in my view because the Bulls won the championship all three years.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2017, 08:11:56 AM »

Just this past 3 years, of course not! But their 3 year run, while possibly the 2nd best of all-time, still falls short of the 96-98 Bulls in my view because the Bulls won the championship all three years.

And that's all fine.  I'm not saying there was never anyone better. 

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »
Ok, now that CP3 trade suddenly makes more "sense"... but... but his son ain't no big baller... just trade his butt away! That's why the Clippers will always be the Clippers. Lol!  :lol  :lol  :lol

Here's some information on the Chris Paul trade. First the MICRO:

Paul's relationship with Doc Rivers started to deteriorate rapidly after the Clippers acquired Austin Rivers. Several members of the team felt Austin acted entitled because his dad was both the coach and the President of Basketball Operations. In the view of the tenured players, Austin Rivers never tried to fit in, and when players tried to address the situation with him, he still did not respond the way the core of the team wanted him to. It led to resentment within the locker room, which often played out during games. One of Paul's biggest contentions with Doc was that Paul, and other players, felt Doc treated Austin more favorably than other players. He would yell at guys for certain things during games and practices, but not get on Austin in the same manner for similar transgressions.

But what really solidified Paul's dissatisfaction with Doc was a proposed trade involving Carmelo Anthony last season. New York offered Carmelo and Sasha Vujacic to the Clippers in exchange for Jamal Crawford, Paul Pierce and Austin Rivers, a deal to which Rivers ultimately said no. That event led Paul to feel that keeping his son on the roster was more important to Doc than improving the team. So, ultimately, Paul lost both trust and faith in Doc. As one league executive put it, "Chris despises Doc."

(I was also told that when Paul met with the team to inform them of his plans, Jerry West was not in attendance. It was only Doc and Lawrence Frank.)

MACRO

This move is a win-win for Chris Paul, and it was all part of a master plan. By opting into the final year of his current contract and pressuring the Clippers to trade him to Houston, Paul will be in the exact same situation next summer. He can re-sign with the Rockets for 5 years and $200+ million or sign a 4-year deal for about $150 million with another team. In addition, he will save several million dollars in state income tax.

Also, by being committed to the Rockets for only one season, it gives him a year to see if he can actually co-exist and pursue a title with James Harden. But even beyond that, this move gives Paul more flexibility to join LeBron James in 2018. If he stayed in LA or signed the max deal with the Clippers and forced them to do a sign-and-trade with the Rockets, Paul and LeBron could only join forces at one location. Now, they will have the ability to pick and choose wherever they want to go as a tandem, which could be Houston, LA {Lakers or Clippers (provided Doc is no longer with organization)}, or any other destination in-between.

https://www.facebook.com/MrMichaelEaves/posts/1239427866166362

I didn;t hear the part about Rivers, so that was new, thank you. Not surprising. And a shame, honestly. Doc should never had brought his son in.

As for the reasoning for Paul, yep. On Mike and Mike this morning, they pretty much said the whole banana boat crew were angling for a 2018 reunion of sorts. Last I heard, Melo wanted a buyout and would join either Lebron or CP3 on a 2 year deal (with the second year a player option), and then the banana boat guys would look to reunite somewhere. Not sure how feasible it is, but they are going to make that happen to a degree, I guarantee it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
WOLVES on the prowl! Rubio gone for a first rounder (strangely, it is top 14 protected, so what happens if that happens) from Utah (via OKC). AND...hearing from ESPN and a couple other places Teague is set to sign with the Wolves to run point!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Christmas in July would be...Blake Griffin at the 4. I might pass out if that happens.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2017, 06:40:18 PM »
WOLVES on the prowl! Rubio gone for a first rounder (strangely, it is top 14 protected, so what happens if that happens) from Utah (via OKC). AND...hearing from ESPN and a couple other places Teague is set to sign with the Wolves to run point!

:metal :metal :metal :metal

Christmas in July would be...Blake Griffin at the 4. I might pass out if that happens.

The T-Wolves starting five suddenly looks pretty damn good, and I am certain they can at least contend for a 7th or better seeding.

By the way, I really wished Lakers' rookie Thomas Bryant would wear #8 instead of #31... that would have confused the hack out of fans, lol!  :lol  :lol  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
Paul George traded to OKC!!!  HOLY SHIT!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2017, 07:55:08 PM »
Paul George traded to OKC!!!  HOLY SHIT!

I heard that too, but so far there seems to be very little detail... my bet is Oladipo + ??  ???
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
Yes plus Sabonis.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
I bet he will just be a one-year rental for the Thunder. He is definitely going somewhere else (Lakers or not) next summer.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
No doubt but OCK made the leap while the C's baulked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
Ainge wasn't paying anything substantial to their future for a one year rental and I don't blame him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
I agree. But was it on Indiana's end wanting younger players? Who knows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
Tweet from sports radio personality in Boston.

Per @GoodmanESPN, #Celtics offered #Pacers 4 1st Rd picks (including '17 #Nets pick - No. 1) for George at trade deadline. Ainge's fault?"

Sounds like young NBA players is what mattered.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2017, 08:36:16 PM »
Tweet from sports radio personality in Boston.

Who tweeted that?

No way the Celtics offered 4 first round picks plus the Nets Pick. Until Woj says so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Adam Kaufman.   98.5.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2017, 08:47:20 PM »
So basically Kaufman was reporting what Goodman was claiming. So it's not like Kaufman was reporting that. He has appeared to be plugged in, but like I said, unless Kaufman is actually reporting that per his sources, I cannot believe that.

Again, where is Woj on this?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2017, 08:55:06 PM »
There is more tweets from reliable sources.  Also it's also being reported on  Sports Tonight.   If say it's true and they wanted young players todsy not aging players or draft picks.I'm

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2017, 08:57:34 PM »
I really hate the media breaking stories of any kind so soon with no details, or couldn't quote a source, for being the first to report it.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Yet I'm seeing multiple sources.   I agree with the media but multiple sources end the speculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:32 PM »
Watching Sports Tonight now. Goodman's tweet was a Trade Deadline offer, not tonight.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2017, 05:13:50 AM »
Wrong.  I followed the tweets from many sports reporters and they said it was a done deal and this morning it is confirmed.

The C's offer was better.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
Wolves had a shot at Milsap, but it didn't happen. So Thibs goes to Taj Gibson to be a backup PF/C. I'm OK with that. So right now, it looks as if the Wolves' starting 5 is:

C - Towns (25/12)
PF - Dieng (10/7)
SF - Butler (20/5/5)
SG - Wiggins (22/3/3)
PG - Teague (15/8)

That starting five should produce 92 points a night, on average. The bench still needs to be solidified. Right now they have Taj Gibson, Tyus Jones, and...nobody. But I think Thibs will probably bring in a few shooters to bolster the 3 point output for sure.

It'll probably take a year for these guys to gel, but I think the Wolves are going to jump from 31 wins to 52. Huge jump.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Warriors are in good shape.  I expected them to lock up Curry, Durant, and Iguodala, and was hoping they would lock up Livingston as well.  Great that they were able to do all that and lock up David West as well, although they paid a bit more for some of those guys than I was expecting. 

That leaves McGee, Pachulia, Clark, McAdoo, and Barnes still unresolved.  Ideally, I'd probably like most or all of those guys to stay, but that's probably not realistic.  I love that McGee's career basically got a second chance with the Warriors, and I'd love to see him come back.  I think he filled a valuable role.  Of all the guys left on the list, he's probably the one I would most like to see them keep. 

Pachulia was up and down.  He made a few very visible mistakes in the playoffs that hurt them at times.  But on the other hand, he brought a lot to the table, and most of what he did that brought value to the team isn't something that directly shows up on the stat sheets (those screens that he set to free up other players, creating space under the rim, etc.).  I expect that he will be on the chopping block, and I cannot disagree too much with that, but I'm not sure how they find another option as good or better at that position.

Clark is probably the one I would most like to see stay behind McGee, but I think he is also the most easily expendable, and they can get decent value for him based on his performance this year. 

McAdoo played well for them, but can be replaced. 

I think Barnes is likely to go as well.  I'm not that attached to keeping him on the roster, but I appreciate what he brought this year.  He is another one where it was cool to see him be able to rejuvenate his career, especially on a team that he originally played on way in the past. 

But anyhow, with the heavy lifting now done, it'll be interesting to see what moves they make.  I'll probably have no idea who some of the guys are that they bring in until I see them play a few games.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2017, 06:52:54 PM »
^ aren't the Dubs interested in signing Nick "Born Reble" Young? I thought they were engaging in a contract talks?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,