Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68160 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #945 on: May 28, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
By dragging this group of clowns to the finals, I'm starting to get on board with the idea of him being GOAT.  Jordan always had Pippen and a decent supporting cast, and never once did he drag a group of useless tits to the Finals.  Lebron has done it again.

Goddamn... please at least let Houston win so it's not ANOTHER GSW/Cavs final.

Even if Chris Paul plays, he won't be healthy, and I think that pretty much cripples their chances at winning tonight.  You have to marvel at the deal the Warriors made with the basketball gods, to get so lucky year after year with injuries to other teams in the playoffs. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #946 on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:35 PM »
Pathetic early effort for GS, but some timely 3's and some horrific officiating keep them in it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #947 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:49 PM »
Not even watching the rest of this. A handful of horrific calls (or non-calls) completely changed the game. A Rocket was literally tackled taking it to the hoop and nothing was called.  GS will win. It has been decreed by the big dogs. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline jammindude

« Reply #948 on: May 28, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
I hate the refs more than anyone.   But NO ONE is winning anything missing 25 straight 3s.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #949 on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:08 PM »
Yeah the Rockets look like they gave up already. I am not the one to blame refs for any bad games as I know how hard it is to officiate a basketball game, but so many illegal screens, holding and pushing not being call is helping GSW. Regardless, we all knew they would win but didn’t want it to go down this way. The “MVP” needs to play better the rest of the game if they don’t wanna lose by 15+
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #950 on: May 28, 2018, 09:08:47 PM »
I should stay away from the game, lol!  :lol Those moments I could watch the game, the Dubs are always in trouble; but then I was in a quick meeting in the third and early 4th qtr, they took the lead! Lol!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #951 on: May 28, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »
Left my meeting with the Dubs down 8, 10 minute drive and they're up 12. Wth man...

Didn't watch the game so I can't comment on the officiating, but of the previous games I've seen the officials have been letting them play.

Edit: and done, Dubs v. Cavs V 4.0
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:28:28 PM by lonestar »

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #952 on: May 28, 2018, 09:29:41 PM »
Wow! What a game... the NBA... oops, I mean the Dubs did it again! Cavs / Warriors round 4! Love it!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #953 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:27 PM »
Edit: and done, Dubs v. Cavs V 4.0

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #954 on: May 29, 2018, 04:08:23 AM »
Bottom line . CP shimmied too soon .
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: May 29, 2018, 06:10:02 AM »
It was boring last time. I guess lebron might take one out of sheer force of will but no more than that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #956 on: May 29, 2018, 07:18:17 AM »
These playoffs have really stunk. Cavs or Celtics versus Houston would have been genuinely interesting, at least for me. Instead, we're probably getting a 4-0 massacre.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #957 on: May 29, 2018, 07:22:35 AM »
These playoffs have really stunk. Cavs or Celtics versus Houston would have been genuinely interesting, at least for me. Instead, we're probably getting a 4-0 massacre.

The end result stinks, but Cleveland going to 7 games with the Pacers was fun, seeing the young 6ers was fun, the Celtics games were fun, seeing Jingle Boy crying when his Raptors were destroyed was definitely fun.
The first round in the west was interesting with the pelis and Utah mostly.
All of this gives me a glimmer of hope that next year things won't be the same with some of these young teams being more mature and having their stars in the post-season.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #958 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:30 AM »
Watch out y'all, my Lakers will come back strong next season... I hope, lol!!  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #959 on: May 29, 2018, 07:52:11 AM »
I can't wait to see the C's gel with Hayward next year.  I also wonder if teams will overpay for Smart or not.  He's a restricted free agent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: May 29, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
I can't wait to see the C's gel with Hayward next year.  I also wonder if teams will overpay for Smart or not.  He's a restricted free agent.

There aren't that many teams that have the cap space and need a PG like Smart. But there's also teams that do stupid things come free agency so you never know.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #961 on: May 29, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
It's the stupid side I'm leaning to. :lol  Smart came out after the game and said he's looking for more than the rumor mill is up here at 12 to 14 mil.  He can't hit mid jump shots to get that kind of money.  He does everything well except for shooting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #962 on: May 29, 2018, 08:13:42 AM »

There aren't that many teams that have the cap space and need a PG like Smart. But there's also teams that do stupid things come free agency so you never know.

Smart is asking for $12-14M per season, and like Nekov said there ain't that many teams will that cap space AND in need of a role guy like him. It will be a smart move (pun intended) for him to just suck it up, and take the qualifying offer for one season. Wait til the 2019 free agency before he go for a better deal. I am afraid he won't get anything more than $10M per, and end up stuck with a bad team for the rest of his career.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: May 29, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
Oh, I agree but we have seen stupid owners before spend stupid money.

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #964 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:18 AM »
Oh, I agree but we have seen stupid owners before spend stupid money.

You mean James Dolan?  :lol
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: May 29, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
Ding! Ding! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #966 on: May 29, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
A handful of horrific calls (or non-calls) completely changed the game.

Yes.  You mean, like, the fact that Houston was called for 5 less fouls than GS the entire game (despite some OBVIOUS hacking, holding, an whatnot)?  Or the fact that Klay Thompson had to be benched because 3 phantom calls in like the first 2 minutes of the game put him in foul trouble before the Warriors could even get going?  :lol  Yeah, the Warriors CLEARLY benefitted from biased officiating.  ::)  Like you've said more times than I can count: don't whine about bad calls; play better and overcome them.  Spending YEARS telling people to shut up about bad officiating and then whining about "bad officiating" is a poor look.

Props to the Warriors for overcoming the loss of their former NBA Finals MVP to win this.  And props to LeBron for carrying his team to an unprecedented 8-straight finals appearance.  And the end of the Warriors/Houston series also reminded me of another reason LeBron deserves props:  In good times and in bad, he ALWAYS stands up as the leader of his team and deals with the media, as well as handling other leadership responsibilities.  He doesn't disappear in times of adversity like some.  At least in that respect, he truly gets what it is to be a leader.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
While I'm not all that warm on the notion that LeBron is a self-less "leader" off the court, the media has a hand in portraying his selfishness.  Case in point... the announce crew went on about what we all know - how he carried this team through the playoffs and in to the finals.  In the post-game interview, he was specifically asked (I'm paraphrasing) 'is this your most satisfying finals because of the shit-ass crew you had to play with?'  I mean, he's often had a 'me' complex, but clearly he's maturing.  Classy response:

I think what people don’t understand, people that never played the game of basketball and never played team sports, is that in order to succeed, it has to be a team effort. I know I get a lot of the headlines — win, lose or draw, whatever the case may be — but in order to be successful, it’s a team game. I learned that from since I first started picking up a basketball to play organized basketball at age 9. So, you get all the doubters and people — who have never stepped in an arena, who’s never played basketball, who’s never put on a tank-top and shorts, who’ve never played anything organized — always want to try and kill my teammates. It’s unfair to them. But I’ll always stay true to the game of basketball because the game of basketball always stays true to me. That’s why we’re going to another Finals because my teammates played a hell of a game
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #968 on: May 29, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
Yeah, agreed.  And while I don't like him, I think in probably a minority of those in that camp who don't really blast him too much for his "me" comments, simply because (1) often, it really IS him who is far and away THE reason his teams are successful when they really shouldn't be, and (2) if you really sit and watch him play, he really doesn't have a "selfish" style of basketball.  Yeah, there are games (and sometimes long stretches of several games) where he takes over and, for lack of a better term, plays "hero ball."  But usually, when he does that, it's because he HAS TO because nobody else is stepping up, or because that is just what the team needs.  But you don't have to look very hard to also find stretches of minutes or even games where he is passing like crazy and taking a backseat to try to get the rest of his team involved, even when they may not be up to the task. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #969 on: May 29, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »
Going back to the Warriors/Rockets series as a whole, this was a strange series.  I missed a few of the games because I was in Mexico.  But of the ones I saw, including games 6 and 7, which the Warriors won, they didn't really look in synch.  Honestly, I didn't feel like we got to see the best that either of these teams has to offer, at least not on a consistent basis. 

EDIT:  Looking ahead, I have no idea how to predict the Finals.  I think the "smart money" is on what I have heard most saying:  Warriors in 5, and the 5 is only because a LeBron-led team isn't likely to get swept by anybody.  But the thing is, this LeBron-led team keeps on defying the odds and doing what they shouldn't be able to do.  I'm just kind of left shrugging my shoulders and telling myself that, although I expect the Warriors to win, it is anybody's guess how it is going to play out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:36:40 AM by bosk1 »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #970 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
There is no way the Warriors win that series if Paul was healthy.  It amazes me that NBA continues to grow in popularity when the same two teams are in the finals for 4 straight years.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #971 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
There is no way the Warriors win that series if Paul was healthy.  It amazes me that NBA continues to grow in popularity when the same two teams are in the finals for 4 straight years.

Mind you, the Dubs won the series without Iguodala for the last 4 games as well. Both teams had their adversity, the better one overcame it. As to popularity, if everyone is tired of the Cavs v. Dubs, maybe the rest of the league should improve their game.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #972 on: May 29, 2018, 10:44:10 AM »
I definitely don't think it was a given that Houston wins if Paul is healthy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »

Mind you, the Dubs won the series without Iguodala for the last 4 games as well. Both teams had their adversity, the better one overcame it. As to popularity, if everyone is tired of the Cavs v. Dubs, maybe the rest of the league should improve their game blow thru the cap by $16M+ if they want to be competitive.

:biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #974 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:01 AM »
I definitely don't think it was a given that Houston wins if Paul is healthy.

Completely agreed.  The Warriors had already won 2 games handily with Paul healthy, and lost another two that were very close games.  If both teams are at full strength (i.e. Rockets have CP3 and Warriors have Iguodala), I still think the Warriors win, and probably more easily.  CP3 is perhaps the better all around player between him and Iguodala, but Iguodala is SUCH a key piece of how the Warriors do things.  Don't forget that he was the finals MVP 3 years ago against the LeBron-led Cavs.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #975 on: May 29, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
I wonder if the Cavs should keep starting Jeff Green even once Love is ready. If he can give them 10-15 pts a game, I think he might be their best option to guard Durant (other than LeBron in some crunch-time possessions). Certainly, the Cavs were way better defensively without Love, and they're going to have to play some decent defense to have any shot in this series. Last year the Cavs could conceivably outscore the Dubs if they went crazy from 3 (see game 4); this year not so much. Hopefully, they'll take a page from Houston's switching defense and ride a defense-first lineup of LBJ, Hill, Thompson, Smith, and Green for a large amount of minutes. That, and Kyle Korver HAS to get off from 3 coming off the bench. Maybe Love can be more successful coming of the bench, too, since the Dubs' second unit is pretty poor.

I think the Warriors are actually more beatable this year than last (especially if Iggy is not available to guard LeBron), but unfortunately this Cavs team is also worse than last year. Who knows, though? Maybe LeBron puts up 40 a game. Nothing would surprise me at this point from him. And he knows that somehow winning it all this year with THIS squad would in the minds of many put him equal to MJ. I feel like we'll get peak Lebron in this series; I guess we'll see what his teammates can bring.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #976 on: May 29, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »
Maybe LeBron puts up 40 a game. Nothing would surprise me at this point from him. And he knows that somehow winning it all this year with THIS squad would in the minds of many put him equal to MJ.

Two things:

I don't think LBJ putting up 40 points is enough.  I think he needs >40 per game AND his teammates have to come through big time.

If the Cavs win this, I don't think "LBJ=Jordan" is the discussion anymore.  I think any reasonable person has to concede that LBJ>Jordan if they win this.  I mean, whether they do or not, the discussion is still valid.  But if they win?  Jordan NEVER had to lead such a squad to a championship.  And he arguably NEVER had to face a team as talented as the Warriors.  If LeBron can pull off a championship with both of those factors at the same time, taken together with his prior body of work, he is unequivocally the greatest of all time, no discussion.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #977 on: May 29, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
I think it's already a lot closer between the two than most people would care to admit. This is a crude way of looking at it, but Jordan was like a 9.7/10 for eleven seasons. James has been like a 9.2 for fifteen. Jordan's career might look a lot better from 30,000 feet, but when you really drill into it, you realize that his edge in team success is partly due to having better teammates and facing worse competition. If James leads the Cavaliers to a championship, he will be the GOAT in my eyes. That said, it's probably impossible.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #978 on: May 29, 2018, 02:58:54 PM »
Yeah, I mean, that's basically what I was trying to say. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #979 on: May 29, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »
The following comment is completely unrelated to the LBJ-MJ conversation.

I hate this narrative about Lebron leading a bunch of clowns to the Finals. The Celtics have been getting killed on talk radio about choking against this group. I don't buy it, I mean both teams were brutal offensively in Game 7. Yes, it was definitely a game the Celtics could've won, but they didn't. It's not like Lebron scored 70 of the Cav's 79 points. But he did control the game when the Celtics couldn't get a grasp on it.

I think the margins, especially in the East are so small.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol