Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 68127 times)

Offline Azyiu

Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2018, 11:57:38 PM »
EPIC finish by the Pacers!  Wow!!!

Impressive? Yes! But I will save the EPIC tag for now until they win the series.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #561 on: April 21, 2018, 06:40:53 PM »
40+ points a piece for AD and Jrue Holliday. What an exciting duo to watch. I will be actively rooting for the Pelicans once the Dubs sweep my Spurs :'(

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #562 on: April 21, 2018, 06:47:45 PM »
40+ points a piece for AD and Jrue Holliday. What an exciting duo to watch. I will be actively rooting for the Pelicans once the Dubs sweep my Spurs :'(

Dude, this is just not the Spurs' year... as for the Pels, they will be a tough match up for the Dubs, though I still think the Dubs will still win the series by a hair.

Meanwhile in the east, Oladipo has been figure out how to break the Cavs' double teams, and then getting the ball back, because Bogdanovic won't go for another 30 pts or be shooting 7 for 9 from 3s in game 4 or beyond.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #563 on: April 22, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
Well...at least we won’t get swept!  :lol

That was some inspirational play from the Spurs, especially from Ginobli and Rudy Gay. Aldridge hit a huge 3 pointer that put more gas the engine in the 4th quarter. Good defensive plays from Danny Green. Dejounte Murray showed why they gave him the starting spot over the aging TP9. Warriors turned it on in the 4th, and cut down our lead by 2. I love my Spurs, but I am a realist. Warriors will close out the series at Oracle arena.

Obviously they didn’t want to get swept, but this game (and last game), they played with a lot of passion for Pop. I don’t think Pop will return to coach Game 5.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #564 on: April 22, 2018, 06:21:39 PM »
Also, with today’s win, Manu and Tony have become the winningest duo in NBA Playoff History!  :metal Go Spurs Go!

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #565 on: April 22, 2018, 10:19:46 PM »
The lack of patient is what costed the Pacers game 4. Why kept jacking up jumpers in the 4th and stopped moving the ball around?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: April 23, 2018, 05:59:41 AM »
It's interesting that the Toronro fans are nowhere near this thread...  ::)

Obviously they didn’t want to get swept, but this game (and last game), they played with a lot of passion for Pop. I don’t think Pop will return to coach Game 5.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did it so that Manu didn't get retired by the crowd like last year, he didn't like that at all  :lol

The lack of patient is what costed the Pacers game 4. Why kept jacking up jumpers in the 4th and stopped moving the ball around?

Didn't watch the game but that sounds like the kind of thing an inexperienced team would do. I believe they can take down the Cavs in the next couple of games but they need to keep the energy up. Also, LBJ played 46 out of the 48 minutes of the game which is not unheard of, but having to play that many minutes in the first round will take a toll on the whole team.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #567 on: April 23, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
Yeah... not a great couple of games.  Defense was terrific in the 1st half, but then the Wizards went and shot 65% in the 3rd. Again, hard to say how much that was the Wizards heating up, or the defense cooling off.  I think (hope) this game will be a wakeup call for them - and hopefully they get Fred VanFleet back - him running the 2nd unit has been a key part of much of their success.

Not worried though.  There's more parity in the league this year than in previous years.  Even the Rockets and Warriors are not infallible. 

Cavs are only winning (by a total of 7 points) as Lebron carries them.  Even when he's having a King-like performance, they're still just squeaking by.  Wait until he has a less-than Kingly game.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #568 on: April 23, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
Didn't watch the game but that sounds like the kind of thing an inexperienced team would do. I believe they can take down the Cavs in the next couple of games but they need to keep the energy up. Also, LBJ played 46 out of the 48 minutes of the game which is not unheard of, but having to play that many minutes in the first round will take a toll on the whole team.

The game was quite competitive and fun to watch until around with 6 minutes or so left in the 4th qtr. The Pacers suddenly stopped moving the ball around and/or jacking up long 2s or even rushed 3s. I just knew they weren't going to win playing like that...

Cavs are only winning (by a total of 7 points) as Lebron carries them.  Even when he's having a King-like performance, they're still just squeaking by.  Wait until he has a less-than Kingly game.

Agreed, but a win is a win. I think LBJ will at least will them a series win in this first round. Even if they get pass the Pacers, I doubt he could keep doing it for later rounds though. I still hope the Pacers can pick themselves up and try and steal one more at Cleveland.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #569 on: April 23, 2018, 08:30:14 AM »

I don't think he had a very Kingly game on Sunday, and they still got the win.  I'm not sure the Pacers can win this series by giving away games like that.  You don't keep getting that many chances against a LeBron-led team.

The game was quite competitive and fun to watch until around with 6 minutes or so left in the 4th qtr. The Pacers suddenly stopped moving the ball around and/or jacking up long 2s or even rushed 3s. I just knew they weren't going to win playing like that...

Agreed.  Even before they would launch the shot, I just found myself asking what they were doing on offense (or not doing, actually).  It was fairly baffling.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: April 23, 2018, 09:13:15 AM »
Yeah... not a great couple of games.  Defense was terrific in the 1st half, but then the Wizards went and shot 65% in the 3rd. Again, hard to say how much that was the Wizards heating up, or the defense cooling off.  I think (hope) this game will be a wakeup call for them - and hopefully they get Fred VanFleet back - him running the 2nd unit has been a key part of much of their success.

I watched a good chunk of the game and I don't think the Raptors defense was bad, the Wizards just caught fire. Bradley Beal was shooting 3s like he was Steph. Their offense though, during some stretches it seemed like they were reverting to the hero ball of old days and that's what I would be worried about if I was a fan.

I don't think he had a very Kingly game on Sunday, and they still got the win.  I'm not sure the Pacers can win this series by giving away games like that.  You don't keep getting that many chances against a LeBron-led team.

32pts, 13rbs, 7as, on 54% shooting. That is not kingly? I'm a big critic of Lebron but come on, that's one hell of a game.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #571 on: April 23, 2018, 09:17:14 AM »
No, those are great stats.  But they aren't the type of stats that show him completely taking over a game, as he is capable of doing.  If he continued to have games with that exact same output, I don't think the Cavs win the series.  It's a "great" game by the standards of most.  But it's not "LeBron-great," if you know what I mean.  And given where the rest of his team is, he needs to have some better games for them to take the series, because I don't think the rest of his team will give him much help.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: April 23, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
And given where the rest of his team is, he needs to have some better games for them to take the series, because I don't think the rest of his team will give him much help.

I think we all agree on that part. If Indiana stops missing those important shots the Cavs are done.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #573 on: April 23, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
But to bring it back to what I was originally trying to say, I think Indiana is potentially in trouble for not putting away a game they should have.  Yeah, LeBron put up some good numbers.  But he is capable of putting up better.  And even with the shortcomings of the rest of the Cavs team, the team is capable of playing better than they did.  The Pacers let one slip away that they should have grabbed.  It would not surprise me if that will prove to be their undoing.  But we'll see.  I mean, maybe the Cavs just don't have enough.  We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #574 on: April 23, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
Maybe I should just shut the hell up.
I come in trying to pump the tires of the Raptors and they go and poop the bed.

Never mind I was ever here.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #575 on: April 23, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
Crossing fingers, toes, and everything else that tonight evens the series between the Wolves and Rockets.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #576 on: April 23, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
Me too.  I am skeptical about whether they can pull it off, but I hope I am wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: April 23, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »

I watched a good chunk of the game and I don't think the Raptors defense was bad, the Wizards just caught fire. Bradley Beal was shooting 3s like he was Steph. Their offense though, during some stretches it seemed like they were reverting to the hero ball of old days and that's what I would be worried about if I was a fan.

True on all accounts - 40 points in 1H; then 40 points in 3Q!!!  And as the lead shrunk, DDR tried to do too much himself - sometimes it paid off, sometimes not - but when he's only shooting 35% (and the team only had 9 OREB's), he can't keep tossing it up.  They have been guilty of some VERY sloppy turnovers all series too, but especially yesterday.  19 t/u's I think I heard?  In the 4th were a couple of questionable non-calls for the Wiz, and a couple of soft fouls called against the Raps.  Doesn't matter though... the #1 seed should never be in the position to have that be a difference maker.

32pts, 13rbs, 7as, on 54% shooting. That is not kingly? I'm a big critic of Lebron but come on, that's one hell of a game.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: April 23, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
Me too.  I am skeptical about whether they can pull it off, but I hope I am wrong.

Their effort game 3 was astounding. If they can play like that the rest of the series...win or lose, I think the Wolves and fellow fans can walk away hopeful.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:54 AM »
Their effort game 3 was astounding. If they can play like that the rest of the series...win or lose, I think the Wolves and fellow fans can walk away hopeful.

Yeah well, that 3rd quarter wasn't exactly what you were hoping for was it? That was painful to watch even as a non wolves fan.

So how about Utah? I knew they were doing good towards the end of the season and I really thought they had a chance against the Thunder but they are doing even better than I expected. The Rockets should start taking note of them, that will be a fun series to watch.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #580 on: April 24, 2018, 06:27:58 AM »

Yeah well, that 3rd quarter wasn't exactly what you were hoping for was it? That was painful to watch even as a non wolves fan.

The third?  How about the first and second when Houston couldn't get it going, and the Wolves simply refused to capitalize?  Hate to say it, but I knew it was over at halftime.  If Houston is playing that badly and you can barely catch up, what are you going to do once they start hitting their shots?  And they WILL start hitting those wide-open shots.  Game frustrated me to no end.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: April 24, 2018, 07:31:57 AM »
I caught the game during the 3rd, I don't know what happened before that but based on the numbers I thought it was just an evenly fought match. Did the wolves miss too many open shots?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: April 24, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :tdwn

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #583 on: April 24, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »
I caught the game during the 3rd, I don't know what happened before that but based on the numbers I thought it was just an evenly fought match. Did the wolves miss too many open shots?

Not necessarily, but they jacked up contested shots and committed stupid turnovers.  Every now and then, you would see them push and get easy buckets in the paint.  And then, within a possession or two, they would seemingly forget that that strategy worked, and go back to jacking up contested shots and going one-on-one.  And they were playing pretty pedestrian defense as well, letting Houston shoot wide-open shots.  It's just that Houston couldn't get anything to fall in the first half. 

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #584 on: April 24, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
Oh sweet Moses... both the Raptors and Leafs are playing tomorrow night!   :facepalm:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: April 24, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
Oh sweet Moses... both the Raptors and Leafs are playing tomorrow night!   :facepalm:

I would also be worried if I was going to be disappointed twice the same day...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #586 on: April 24, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »

So how about Utah? I knew they were doing good towards the end of the season and I really thought they had a chance against the Thunder but they are doing even better than I expected. The Rockets should start taking note of them, that will be a fun series to watch.

The Jazz are a lot of fun to watch. Donovan Mitchell is a beast.

And Russell Westbrook is who I thought he was along.  He is the Terrell Owens of the NBA.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #587 on: April 24, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
I was thinking "Cam Newton."  But "Terrell Owens" fits too, I suppose.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #588 on: April 25, 2018, 02:26:08 AM »
Congrats Bosk1, even though I knew along the Dubs were going to knock us out in the first. Hopefully next season the Spurs will be able to compete on the same level.

That being said, Go Spurs Go!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: April 25, 2018, 05:12:48 AM »
Trust the Process!!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: April 25, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
I'm happy the Spurs went down fighting like they did, they showed they still have that fire in them. I hope they shuffle things a little bit next year, trade Danny and drop Parkers minutes even more with only a minimum vet contract. And of course resolve the situation with Kawhi so he can come back and wreak havoc once again.

Trust the Process!!!!

They are my candidates for the Eastern Conference Championship. The late additions of Bellinelli and Ilyasova are making a big difference. Great move by the front office.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #591 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »
Holy crap, where the Spurs tenacious or what?  Unbelievable game!  And it was cool seeing and hearing afterward how much respect these two teams have for one another.

On to the Pelicans.  I don't have a really good feeling about how this series will go.  The Warriors' offensive philosophy relies heavily on constant passing/ball movement until something breaks down in the defense.  When they do that, they are just about unstoppable.  This last series, we saw them do that a lot, and saw it work.  But then we would also see them get away from it just as often.  If they stick with it, I don't see the series going past 5 games.  If they don't, I'm not sure.  But from what I saw of the Pelicans this last series, they destroyed Portland using variations of the exact same tactic, and doing it VERY well.  The Warriors tend to defend well against those kinds of teams, but I am interested in seeing how this series goes.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: April 25, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
After watching Philly do their thing...I think they are coming out of the East.

As for the Wolves tonight...I expect a loss. But it better be going down swinging and a close game. Gotta show the heart.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #593 on: April 25, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
Pels, especially AD, will destroy the Dubs' interior D, and I just hope Curry will come back soon and relatively healthy. Whoever is assigned to Rondo will have a long series. That being said, I think Kerr will out coach Gentry. :biggrin:
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #594 on: April 25, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »
Pels, especially AD, will destroy the Dubs' interior D, and I just hope Curry will come back soon and relatively healthy. Whoever is assigned to Rondo will have a long series.

I wouldn't assume either of those things.  Don't forget that the Warriors defense is elite, and has been for several years now.  They stop big teams, small teams, fast teams, slow teams, you name it.  That isn't to take anything away from the Pelicans at all.  But there is no reason to assume the Warriors D will struggle.

Let's also not forget that the Warriors beat the Pelicans 3 out of 4 times this season.  The only loss was by only 6 points, the Warriors were missing two starters, and they had already locked up the #2 seed and pretty much conceded the #1.  It was a 2 point game with a minute left.

I'm assuming a good series.  But I don't see any part of the Warriors D getting "destroyed" in the process.