Author Topic: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions  (Read 69239 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NBA thread 2017-18 v. I dub thee champions
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
When Philly is "on", they are scary.  How much they can sustain that in a 7-game series is the question.

'twill be interesting to see how the Cavs respond.  Could be catastrophic if they go down 2-0 at home.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »
'twill be interesting to see how the Cavs respond.  Could be catastrophic if they go down 2-0 at home.

The amount of noise this would generate would be deafening. And if the go out in the first round all the narrative around James leaving changes. Not sure if this it makes him look better or worse, but we won't hear the end of it for months.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
I don't think Lue will have a job after this season concludes...at least not a head coaching position. Lebron is gone, and it will be a rebuild with a young coach. Watch.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2018, 11:40:06 AM »
I don't think Lue will have a job after this season concludes...at least not a head coaching position. Lebron is gone, and it will be a rebuild with a young coach. Watch.

I'm actually surprised Lue still has a coaching job  :lol.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2018, 11:47:20 AM »

The amount of noise this would generate would be deafening. And if the go out in the first round all the narrative around James leaving changes. Not sure if this it makes him look better or worse, but we won't hear the end of it for months.

The blame game will be strong if Cleveland loses in the first round. Most analysts picked them to win the series decisively, so shows like First Take will try to frame the defeat in a way that doesn't make them look like morons for ignoring a full 82-game body of evidence that clearly demonstrated how mediocre the Cavaliers are.

Let me be clear: I also thought the Cavaliers would win decisively. I'm just not afraid to admit it when I do dumb things. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #530 on: April 18, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
But in fairness, Indiana wasn't really showing much.  And no matter how mediocre the supporting cast, it's tough to beat a LeBron team.  I don't think that prediction was out of line.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
But in fairness, Indiana wasn't really showing much.  And no matter how mediocre the supporting cast, it's tough to beat a LeBron team.  I don't think that prediction was out of line.

Indiana's play in game one didn't surprise me. They are a good team with a lot of spring in their step and a chip on their shoulders. I think they will push Cleveland hard, but ultimately, I can't see Lebron letting the Cavs lose. The Cavs are more talented overall. But Indiana perhaps may be the better TEAM. Intriguing serious. I still think Cavs in 7, but won't be surprised if Oladipo and the Pacers win. It'd be an upset, but not a surprising upset. In fact, I think all the East first round matchups are similar in that regard.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #532 on: April 18, 2018, 12:18:37 PM »
The Pacers are sneaky good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #533 on: April 18, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
Is it just me? I still feel good about the Pacers' chances, despite their game 2 loss. With Oladipo got hit with 2 quick fouls early, and being down by as much as 18 @ Cavs, they still manage to out score the Cavs in the other 3 qtrs and barely lost.
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »
LBJ shows again last night why he is the GOAT.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2018, 06:23:50 AM »

He was the Greatest of the 1st Quarter, I'll grant you that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: April 19, 2018, 06:31:03 AM »

What he's doing A. At his age B. With those teammates C. With that coach, is unbelievable.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #537 on: April 19, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
Is it just me? I still feel good about the Pacers' chances, despite their game 2 loss. With Oladipo got hit with 2 quick fouls early, and being down by as much as 18 @ Cavs, they still manage to out score the Cavs in the other 3 qtrs and barely lost.

I'm not sure.  I definitely don't feel bad about their chances.  They took a game in Cleveland and are going home for two games.  I don't see them getting swept at home.  Not the way they have played so far.  I can still see this series going either way.  To put it another way, I feel much better about their chances than Minnesota's.  Hate to say it, but I don't see that team getting past game 4 or game 5 the way they are playing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2018, 08:19:12 AM »
I didn't watch the game, but just looking at the post-game stats, seeing that the Rockets blew out the Wolves with Harden going just 2-18 is scary.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:07:22 AM by FlyingBIZKIT »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: April 19, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
Being I think the lone Wolves diehard on here, I did, and I wish I didn't. I have been a fan since the the 1989-1990 expansion year. Tony Campbell is my favorite all-time player (Wolves' leading scorer first three years). Loved him paired with Pooh Richardson in the back court. And all I can say about last night is - after what, 29 years now...that is the most embarrassed I have ever felt as a fan.

Say what you want about the Rockets' defense (which was good, not great). The Wolves played like absolute dog shit. They should be ashamed of themselves. And that's really all I have to say.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #540 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
I can't really add much to that.  I didn't see the whole game.  But what I did see was really disappointing.  There was zero fire and next to zero effort from the team for most of what I saw.  From the middle of the third quarter on, Houston was just playing around with them.  And perhaps most disappointing of all is that they let Houston do it.  I feel bad for the Wolves fans.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: April 19, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
I didn't watch that game, but when I saw the stats I was pretty surprised, first of all by the low numbers the Wolves starters posted, which was sort of explained by the amount of minutes they played. I was then surprised than Harden scored sow low yet there was a 20 point difference. I can imagine the Wolves locker room mustn't have been a nice place after the game, or even at half time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #542 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:13 AM »
Paul was on an absolute tear.  When he wasn't shooting, he was orchestrating all kinds of plays.  A lot of it was just goofy, Globe Trotter stuff, too.  But the Wolves were letting them do it and score at will.  As Samsara said, just embarrassing. 

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
OMG, I am liking both the Sixers and Pels in the first round. They are fun to watch!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #544 on: April 20, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
Trailblazers are completely laying down.  Their performance is incredibly disappointing.  Not to take anything away from NOLA, but the Blazers just didn't show up.  At all.  I'm hoping they wake up and at least stretch the series out a bit so the Warriors can get in some rest and get closer to having Curry back, assuming they can pull the sweep against San Antonio (which is looking pretty likely now after they took what I think was San Antonio's best punch last night, and still managed to win pretty decisively). 

For tonight, I'm predicting Pacers over Cavs.  Notwithstanding "Playoff LeBron," Indy was a missed 3 away from a tie with a few second left in game 2 on Cleveland's floor.  Back in Indy, I give them the edge. 

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #545 on: April 20, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
...meanwhile.
Purple Dinos get no love again.

tsk tsk basketball fans....you know who's scary good. The Raptor's bench.

"getthatgawbageouttahere!!"
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #546 on: April 20, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »
...meanwhile.

???  How do you figure?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: April 20, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
Trailblazers are completely laying down.  Their performance is incredibly disappointing.  Not to take anything away from NOLA, but the Blazers just didn't show up.  At all.  I'm hoping they wake up and at least stretch the series out a bit so the Warriors can get in some rest and get closer to having Curry back, assuming they can pull the sweep against San Antonio (which is looking pretty likely now after they took what I think was San Antonio's best punch last night, and still managed to win pretty decisively). 

For tonight, I'm predicting Pacers over Cavs.  Notwithstanding "Playoff LeBron," Indy was a missed 3 away from a tie with a few second left in game 2 on Cleveland's floor.  Back in Indy, I give them the edge.

Not sure that was the Spurs best punch, everyone was pretty rattled by what happened with Pop's wife. Manu had been one of their best players so far and he was just awful last night. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

As far as the Blazers go I think they're not playoff material, plain and simple. That team needs an emotional leader if you will, like Rondo is doing for NOLA.

...meanwhile.

tsk tsk basketball fans....you know who's scary good. The Raptor's bench.

"getthatgawbageouttahere!!"

Hi there, long time no see. Purple dinos are playing good but people have seen them fall to pieces during the playoffs before and they are facing a Washington team that is performing nowhere near the level they showed in previous years. We'll see what happens when they have to face Philly or Boston

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #548 on: April 20, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »
...meanwhile.

???  How do you figure?

they just don't.
I'm in Ottawa so naturally I take all things Toronto "complaint" with a huge grain of salt. The American media really ignore this team entirely. Now is some of it warranted? Being unreliable in the playoffs.....ok. Granted. But wow they're a great group of really interesting characters. The comedy routine during press conferences between DeRozan and Lowry is TV GOLD. The home grown talent.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: April 20, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
Hi there, long time no see. Purple dinos are playing good but people have seen them fall to pieces during the playoffs before and they are facing a Washington team that is performing nowhere near the level they showed in previous years. We'll see what happens when they have to face Philly or Boston

This schtick again?  Other than JV, Lowry and DDR, this is a complete turnover of the lineup from 3-4 years ago when they 'fell to pieces' against the Wizards and Nets (which I will grant you, they did).  But, they took 2 from the Cavs 2 years ago when no one gave them a shot at any; last year's sweep they were outscored immensely from beyond the arc.

Try to look at them as they are now, not as they were.  Do you measure Houston based on their 41-41 season 2 years ago?  Or their exit at the hands of the eventual champion GSW's? 

C'mon... this is getting old.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #550 on: April 20, 2018, 11:47:34 AM »
We'll see what happens when they have to face Philly or Boston

No chance they lose to Boston, but there's also no chance Boston even makes it that far. Seems even if the Celt's win, they're playing Philly, which looks quite daunting at this point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: April 20, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »

This schtick again?  Other than JV, Lowry and DDR, this is a complete turnover of the lineup from 3-4 years ago when they 'fell to pieces' against the Wizards and Nets (which I will grant you, they did).  But, they took 2 from the Cavs 2 years ago when no one gave them a shot at any; last year's sweep they were outscored immensely from beyond the arc.

Try to look at them as they are now, not as they were.  Do you measure Houston based on their 41-41 season 2 years ago?  Or their exit at the hands of the eventual champion GSW's? 

For that matter, look at how Portland did during the regular season and how they seem to be G-League team during the playoffs. Some players kill it during the regular season but succumb to the pressure of the playoffs. I think the raptors are a more mature group and are playing like a team now instead of going hero ball, but I won't put my money on them just yet. I want to see Lowry and DeRozan reacting to a difficult situation under pressure.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #552 on: April 20, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »

For that matter, look at how Portland did during the regular season and how they seem to be G-League team during the playoffs. Some players kill it during the regular season but succumb to the pressure of the playoffs. I think the raptors are a more mature group and are playing like a team now instead of going hero ball, but I won't put my money on them just yet. I want to see Lowry and DeRozan reacting to a difficult situation under pressure.

I'd say being up by as much as 23 over the Wiz's in game 2... then seeing that lead shrink to 5... then going on a 14-2 run at the end of the 4th should start to convince demonstrate that, no?  Sure, it's only the Wiz, but they've been the best Q4 defense in the league all season. 

I get you're a skeptic, but your continual justification is rear-view thinking - WAY BACK rear-view too.  Maybe I'm being a Homer, but the eyeball test doesn't quite warrant the skepticism you're giving them.

If they choke it out and don't get over the EC finals hump, fee free to rub my nose in it

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #553 on: April 20, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »
As an outsider, they look pretty solid to me.  I'm going to be surprised if they don't make it at least to the ECF, if not to the NBA finals.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: April 20, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »
*please don't let the Wolves be swept*

>>>>That's all I can say.  :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: April 20, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
You see, that example you give there is exactly why I won't put my money on them yet. The fact that they let a Wizards team almost come back from 23 point difference in a playoff game is not good. They managed to get out of it, yes, but they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.
To be honest, it would be very refreshing to the see a Conference final between the Raptors and the 6ers, I'd love that because it would show the NBA is moving forward and I sure hope the raptors make it that far because of the change they went through this season. Any team that is able to evolve the way they did is a good team in my book. But still, I need to see them show that killer instinct they haven't had before.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #556 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
I think it's inevitable that my Spurs will get swept. That being said, I am optimistic about the future of our team. If Kawhi doesn't come back, Aldridge is playing well enough to be the face of the team, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing from our younger players like Dejounte Murray and Kyle Anderson. We need to get rid of Gasol, and grab Kristaps Porzingis! We've been playing all season without a true Center. I think Ginobli will play one more season before retiring, and Parker has a few more years with us.

I have to say though...the Pelicans are looking real good...like push the Warriors and Rockets to game 6 or 7 good.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #557 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:01 PM »
The Pelicans are an interesting team.  I think that right now, anybody would look good against Portland.  They are pretenders, and are showing that they have no heart or grit.  I don't think the Pelicans are as good as their performance in this series might seem to indicate.  That said, they pose a decent threat to the Warriors because of how they play.  The matchup just isn't good for the Warriors, at least, not without Curry back.  Smaller teams don't fare as well against the Pelicans, and that is true of the Warriors as well.  But with Curry, the speed at which the Warriors team moves, both on offense and defense, changes things and I think would eventually wear NOLA down.  Having him in the lineup also really allows them to change speeds and show a lot of variation.  But without him, it's going to be a really tough series.  If they go "big" (for them), they are out of their element and will get ground down by a team that has a much better big man.  If they go small without Curry, they play into the Pelicans' strength.  I hope Curry can come back during that series.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #558 on: April 20, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »
You see, that example you give there is exactly why I won't put my money on them yet. The fact that they let a Wizards team almost come back from 23 point difference in a playoff game is not good. They managed to get out of it, yes, but they shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.
To be honest, it would be very refreshing to the see a Conference final between the Raptors and the 6ers, I'd love that because it would show the NBA is moving forward and I sure hope the raptors make it that far because of the change they went through this season. Any team that is able to evolve the way they did is a good team in my book. But still, I need to see them show that killer instinct they haven't had before.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about that.  Basketball is a game of runs, and even all-time great teams blow big leads, or almost blow them.  Sure, the Raptors are an unproven playoff commodity, but I don't buy your talking point that nearly blowing a big lead to an 8 seed is relevant in regards to their chances down the road and/or not having a killer instinct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #559 on: April 20, 2018, 11:48:52 PM »
EPIC finish by the Pacers!  Wow!!!