Author Topic: Who Here Keeps A Journal?  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Who Here Keeps A Journal?
« on: June 07, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »
My love for books and writing have been stated enough here. I try to write as often as possible. However, sometimes an idea will come to me but I won't have anything with me to write on. I recently purchased a journal so now I just write what I'm feeling or any story ideas anytime I want. Does anyone else here keep a journal?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Who Here Keeps A Journal?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »
My journal is pretty much DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 02:17:20 PM »
Chicks keep journals.

Tee hee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 02:19:45 PM »
My journal is pretty much DTF.

DTF is my journal, my facebook, my twitter, etc...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 02:23:21 PM »
I keep one called " Every time Blob is WRONG on the internet !!!!! :angry: "

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
I have a blog to which I only sporadically post. I keep trying to make promises to myself that I'm going to write and journal more regularly but I have yet to actually follow through with that. Perhaps sometimes soon I'll get to it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:36:01 PM »

You keep a blank journal?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
I write letters, or as we call them nowadays emails. If something is noteworthy enough for chronicling there's certainly somebody I'd want to share it with. My personal email goes back 20+ years so I've got a record. The only other time was when I was bumming around Europe I kept something of a travelogue. Went back over it not too long ago. Some amusing bits I'd forgotten about and more than a few random, oddball observations. Glad I did that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
It is blank.

BECAUSE IT IS A NEW ONE SINCE THE FIRST FORTY ARE FULL UP !!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »
Dear diary,

Let's see....ummmm...eh nevermind.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 08:09:13 PM »
I would keep one, but I am uncomfortable with the possibility of someone having access to my thoughts. They needs to stay in my head, and only in my head.

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
I would keep one, but I am uncomfortable with the possibility of someone having access to my thoughts. They needs to stay in my head, and only in my head.

Why?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:19 AM »

Why?

The same reason why 1984 is my favorite book. My thoughts are my own and they are private. Its that privacy issue. I feel exposed, naked and vulnerable if everything is out in the open.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 05:29:17 AM »
I have a blog to which I only sporadically post. I keep trying to make promises to myself that I'm going to write and journal more regularly but I have yet to actually follow through with that. Perhaps sometimes soon I'll get to it.

I just started a blog through Word Press. I've only posted once to it so far but I write things down during the day with the intent of putting them in the blog.

I write letters, or as we call them nowadays emails. If something is noteworthy enough for chronicling there's certainly somebody I'd want to share it with. My personal email goes back 20+ years so I've got a record. The only other time was when I was bumming around Europe I kept something of a travelogue. Went back over it not too long ago. Some amusing bits I'd forgotten about and more than a few random, oddball observations. Glad I did that.

Travelogues are always a great idea. When you visit places, especially for the first time, the new sights can sometimes be overwhelming. Wanting to remember every detail can be impossible.

You keep a blank journal?

That would be the journal entitled Everytime Kotow Is Happy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
:getoffmylawn:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
I keep a handwritten journal. I've always thought it'd be neat for my kids or grandkids to find them one day so I basically write in them addressing them. i started keeping them prior to my first son being born. Admittedly, the first few journals I filled were more frequent....every few days....but I was far less 'busy' then. In recent history my entries are more sporadic, which is something I'd like to improve upon but haven't been able to make a good habit of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »

Why?

The same reason why 1984 is my favorite book. My thoughts are my own and they are private. Its that privacy issue. I feel exposed, naked and vulnerable if everything is out in the open.

Well yes, but that doesn't explain why. Why do you feel your thoughts need to be private? Why do you feel naked if someone knows what you're thinking?

Do you never just talk about things with people? That's sharing your thoughts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Not all thoughts. I just mean in general. Some things I am more than happy to share, and that goes all the way from deep heavy shit all the way to random whaterver thoughts. Other things I like to keep to myself.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 06:43:00 AM »
My fiancé tells me I should keep a journal as a way of keeping calm, but that makes no sense to me. How is writing down what's bothering me going to make me feel any better or solve the problem? The journal isn't going to give me advice like say DTF would.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
For some people, writing is immensely cathartic. That doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone.

Online Adami

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »
My fiancé tells me I should keep a journal as a way of keeping calm, but that makes no sense to me. How is writing down what's bothering me going to make me feel any better or solve the problem? The journal isn't going to give me advice like say DTF would.

I agree that a journal would not solve your problems, especially since you're clearly psychotic if you're hallucinating a fiance that doesn't exist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »
I once tried to write lyrics based on my experiences and feelings with anxiety and depression...

...but stopped immediately because it sounded like 12th grade poetry.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 11:40:52 AM »
I used to, for about 8 years or so but then just slowly stopped. I never did really read them. I would occasionally but it was often cringe inducing.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 07:30:56 PM »

I agree that a journal would not solve your problems, especially since you're clearly psychotic if you're hallucinating a fiance that doesn't exist.

OK bosk, time to come up with a new joke.

Online Adami

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:39 PM »

Oh come on, I've never made that joke before!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »

Oh come on, I've never made that joke before!

You also aren't bosk.

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
Sometimes I dream that I am.   :-[
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »
My condolences.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
The first time i kept a journal was when I first went to Europe.  At first it was not much more than bullet points; factual summaries of my day and sights seen.  On my second trip, while riding on a train doing the same bulleted list, I suddenly flowed into a more detailed description, taking into account what I was thinking over the previous days and even what was going on while I was writing.  I've followed that format with subsequent trips and I'm glad I did.  I also started doing the same with my personal flying.  After each flight I would write down mistakes, successes, etc. just to have something more than the short descriptions in my pilot logbook.

I never considered doing the same while home.  I'm constantly thinking, and I think it would do me well to put all that down on paper and get outside my head.  I've reconsidered it now that I have a son, and I realize already that there is so much that has happened in the last year or so that I've already forgotten.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:25:36 AM by jasc15 »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
When it comes to your child there are things that you hope to remember forever. Unfortunately as we age things slip our mind; it's inevitable.