Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 106080 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
The Queensr˙che Discography Thread
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:28:11 AM »
Introduction & Band History

Welcome to the Queensr˙che Discography! This thread is completely inspired by the one on Iron Maiden started by Mosh -- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50220.0 -- and will mimic the format and style. Hope you enjoy!

Queensr˙che was originally called "The Mob," and consisted of Chris DeGarmo, Michael Wilton, Eddie Jackson, and Scott Rockenfield. The foursome did not have a singer, and enlisted the help of local standout Jeff (later "Geoff") Tate at various parties and "Battle of the Bands" events in the suburbs of Seattle. The group formed in 1981/1982, although the lineup with Tate didn't officially cement until the band was signed to a label in 1983.

They switched from "The Mob" to "Queensr˙che" because "The Mob" was already taken by another band. No one could come up with an alternate name, so DeGarmo had the idea of morphing the song title "Queen of the Reich" to "Queensreich," and adjusting it to "Queensr˙che" to avoid any association with the Nazi party.

Queensr˙che EP (1982/1983)

Lineup:

Geoff Tate – Vocals
Chris DeGarmo – Guitar/Vocals
Michael Wilton – Guitar
Eddie Jackson – Bass
Scott Rockenfield – Drums

The Queensryche EP was first worked on when the band was called “The Mob,” which was known primarily as a NWOBHM covers band in the Seattle suburbs. The four musicians in The Mob went to work on original material, writing "Queen of the Reich," "Nightrider," and "Blinded" entirely, and the music to "The Lady Wore Black."

After saving money at odd jobs, the band, which was without a vocalist (Tate sang with The Mob for fun, but was a member of other bands at the time) was ready to hit the studio in 1982. They asked Tate to sing on the EP, and he agreed – after a bit of reluctance because he was heavily involved with MYTH (featuring later Queensryche guitarist Kelly Gray).

They recorded the EP after-hours at Triad Studios. Tate wrote the lyrics to "The Lady Wore Black" in the studio. A little known fact – the whistling in the tune wasn't supposed to be there. Tate was whistling prior to recording it, and had no idea tape was rolling. But the band dug it as an intro so much, they kept it.

The EP was heavily influenced by NwoBH bands, most specifically, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. The twin lead guitar attack is on full display, without Wilton and DeGarmo's solos highlighting the four songs. People were blown away by Tate's vocal range, particularly the opening note to “Queen of the Reich,” but the idea for that note was borrowed from Deep Purple's Ian Gillan, who did something similar on “Highway Star.”

The artwork for the record, in particular, the beginnings on the tri-ryche (see back cover image of EP, below), are debated among fans. Some claim the tri-ryche was created by Wes Griswold, but others cite Todd Rockenfield, Scott's brother. I happen to believe the former.

The EP was originally released in summer 1982 on 206 Records, a company started by the band's first managers, Kim and Diana Harris. It originally didn't do anything, until the Harris' sent it overseas to various European metal magazines, and KERRANG profiled it, naming the band “Queensrych” the next big thing. Once that article published, the EP quickly sold out just through word of mouth, EMI Records came calling in late summer 1983, after the band officially played its first two gigs under the “Queensryche” name in June 1983, opening as a local band for Zebra in both Portland and Seattle. Tate left MYTH once the EMI Records deal was a sure thing, signing on to Queensryche, and the band signed a seven-album deal.

EMI then re-released the EP in 1983. “Prophecy” was a track conceived of during this time period, but wasn't recorded for the EP initially. It was recorded for the Decline of Western Civilization soundtrack, but then was recorded again during the Rage for Order sessions, and included on a re-release of the EP in 1988. A remaster was done and released in 2003.

Touring for the EP was short, taking place primarily in fall 1983 with Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and Dio. The tour consisted of the EP songs, “Prophecy,” and earlier versions of other tunes the band was working up at the time that would later appear on its next record, The Warning.

1988 re-release of EP back cover to illustrate the early tri-ryche (the original back cover was essentially the same, except without EMI listed, and without "Prophecy." The color was also a little different.):

For more on the history of this era, and the EP, visit https://anybodylistening.net/1.html and https://anybodylistening.net/ep.html

« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:44:44 AM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: EP (1982/1983)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
Awesome Brian!!

Will follow and contribute whenever possible. Have lots to say about the EP era. Will do so later.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:47:36 PM »
I'll be completely honest - I have never been able to get into Queensryche, really at all. I'm going to follow this thread, listening as I go and see if anything clicks for me. Thanks for doing this.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:50:35 PM »
Between this and the IM discography thread I'm happier than a pig in shit.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
Ohohoho, this should be a good thread! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
My introduction to the band was from later albums, but I remember buying the EP and its follow-up together in 1998 or early 99 when my fandom really took off.  Definitely prior to the Q2K tour in late 99.

I've always considered it to be their debut album, and loved the full-on metalness of the songs.  Looking at their later songs, yes, this EP is fully derivative of their influences, but the title track is a classic.  I'm glad that the current lineup plays Queen of the Reich at every show - that song to me, is like Iron Maiden, the song. 

As a metalhead, I think they should have kept that logo around for a while though.   Pointy letters make things better.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »
Great OP!

I used to listen to a Metal Show every Saturday night when I was a kid. My Freshman year of high school was 82-83, and Sophomore year was 83-84.  I recorded all of the shows from the radio. I vividly remember my thoughts when I first heard Queen Of The Ryche.

It was metal so fresh and grandiose. A new take on metal and they really sounded like no other band. The who was the dude singing?? :omg:

I also remember when I bought the tape that the record store was handing out a newsletter detailing the Harris sisters signing the band, etc..
Brian, I know I've asked you if you've ever seen this newsletter before. Does anyone else remember this??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
I'm not sure how often to do each record, so I'll do The Warning maybe on Monday or Tuesday?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
I remember buying the EP off of Raspberry Records "Employees Favorites" rack after hearing it at warm-up party for a Dio concert. After getting it home I only ever liked the songs Queen of the Reich and The Lady Wore Black though. This was around the time my second child was born so my record budget took a pretty big hit and the feeling that I could have spent my money on something better probably colored my opinion. The EP was in the pile of vinyl records I shipped to that same child 30+ years later.  :lol

I'm not sure how often to do each record, so I'll do The Warning maybe on Monday or Tuesday?

In retrospect, I ran through the B.O.C. discography a bit quickly, so I recommend giving each title a week to accumulate discussion. There will be some slow days but it always bothered me when folks would pop in and say that they wished they had seen the thread earlier. Also, maybe ask jingle.boy to add you to the tracker thread.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online ozzy554

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Lady wore black is one of my favorite QR songs. Overall a really solid EP
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »

Thanks for the ..um..warning.

:neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
I had to backtrack since my introduction was The Warning.  I'll talk about that during the next album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 07:59:07 PM »
I remember when KZOK first played Queen of the Reich in a "new local" segment.   Totally...blew...my....doors....off.

I also remember when they were invited into the studio for an interview when the EP first got re-released. 

A couple years later (maybe 84), I was talking to that very DJ.   I asked him who the biggest jerk in all of rock-n-roll was.   Without hesitation, he said "That singer from Queensryche.   He's a completely arrogant douchbag."   I would be reminded of this when I personally met Geoff at a Kiss concert around '87....when he acted like a completely arrogant douchbag. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 08:03:16 PM »
I remember when KZOK first played Queen of the Reich in a "new local" segment.   Totally...blew...my....doors....off.

Yes it did, man.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:16 PM »
Good stuff Brian - will follow.

I came to QR pretty late (Mindcrime) and worked my way back ,  but having said that I was barely 14yo when it was released
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 09:11:10 PM »
I try waiting a week. If the discussion dies down early I'll do an update. The in-betweens like live albums and stuff don't take as long.

Following btw.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »
A couple years later (maybe 84), I was talking to that very DJ.   I asked him who the biggest jerk in all of rock-n-roll was.   Without hesitation, he said "That singer from Queensryche.   He's a completely arrogant douchbag."   I would be reminded of this when I personally met Geoff at a Kiss concert around '87....when he acted like a completely arrogant douchbag.
Wow, even back then?

I was introduced to Queensryche not long after Maiden. I got an MP3 player as a Christmas gift from my parents and my dad put 5 songs on there, including The Eyes of a Stranger. I thought Geoff Tate sounded like Bruce Dickinson which was good enough for me. I can't remember if I listened to Mindcrime back then or not, but I didn't really get into that album until much later. I like QR up to Empire but everything since has been a disappointment IMO. I look forward to potentially having my perspective changed with this thread.

My thought on the EP is that it is bookended by two fantastic songs with two fairly average songs in between. Not bad at all, Night Rider in particular stuck out to me this time, but they don't have the wow factor of Queen Of the Reich. I also love the raw early QR sound. Mindcrime is a classic of course, but they kinda lost their edge fairly quickly. It wasn't like Iron Maiden where the band's energy consisted through all the different musical directions.

Are we going to talk about the live concert included on some versions of the EP? It's an awesome recording.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »
There's an edginess and energy on the ep that some have argued has never been attained in any of their subsequent albums. I seem to recall that some fans were disappointed by the subdued production that followed on The Warning.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 12:20:35 AM »
This will be awesome!!!

The EP is just fantastic and to me, Queen of the Reich is just one of the defining songs of heavy metal. I was also blown away by it the first time I heard it. One of the best screams to ever start off a metal song.

Lady Wore Black is just as cool and is one of my favourite power ballads ever.

The band set such a huge standard for heavy metal from these songs, that I'm sure they disappointed a lot of metal heads when they were never able to fully match the heavy metal aspect as the EP. Starting with the Warning, they just showed they would be diverse and not just straight up metal.

Anyway, following big time as Brian definitely knows his Queensryche

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »
I'm surely following this and if I find the time I will even write about some of my thoughts.  :biggrin: :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2017, 03:19:42 AM »
There's an edginess and energy on the ep that some have argued has never been attained in any of their subsequent albums. I seem to recall that some fans were disappointed by the subdued production that followed on The Warning.

I hadn't heard the full ep when I got TW, and I was disappointed in the production, but we'll get to that I guess. The ep is awesome, but full of youthful exuberance I guess.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2017, 03:25:19 AM »
Should have said that my first contact with QR was through hearing QotR on the Friday Rock show on radio 1 in the uk. Grabbed me straight away and they became my favourite band very quickly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
As much as I love most of the stuff up through Promised Land, the debut EP does little for me.  Just a bit too raw and rough around the edges for me, I guess.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 08:04:01 AM »
Oh man, I used to love QR back in 2011 - 2013, I don't really listen to them much any more, but this bands "history" sure fascinates me. Definitely following.

That being said I never was that enamored with the EP. I like a couple of the songs, but much like KevShmev said its a bit too...unpolished for my liking.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2017, 09:31:57 AM »
Following the fuck out of this.  Will read/catch up later.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2017, 01:38:13 PM »
I LOVE the debut. Queen of the ryche is one of my favorites

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 05:29:42 PM »
Wow, even back then?

This is why I never held out much hope that he would change his ways when the money ran out.   He's *always* been this way.  Way before they ever had any money rolling in.   It is just his basic nature.   

I truly believe the other guys tolerated him only because they knew he was the voice of a lifetime.     "Was" being the key word in that sentence.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 05:33:46 PM »
I truly believe the other guys tolerated him only because they knew he was the voice of a lifetime.     "Was" being the key word in that sentence.

So the band were hangers-on from the start?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 05:48:21 PM »

So the band were hangers-on from the start?

It's really difficult to say.   And it's pure speculation.   But there can be no denying two basic facts...

1) Geoff Tate was not just a great singer....he was possibly THE greatest metal singer of his entire generation.   EVERYONE that heard QotR on the radio were immediately nailed by that opening note.   Geoff Tate was something really REALLY special, and opportunities to work with a singer of that high quality do not just drop in your lap every day.   Just ask MP about the difficulty they had finding *the singer* circa 1991....and they had a record contract.   Everyone who heard him knew right away that he was something very special.   The problem was....he knew it too.  :\

2) The band was certainly talented in their own right.   But talent alone does not get you to the "next level" that you might be chasing.   There is no doubt that one of the reasons QR got immediate attention was because of "that singer"...   Geoff Tate was to metal was Steve Perry was to arena rock.     We can banter about Dickinson and Halford, but Geoff was *at least* their equal (if not even more talented) when he was in his prime.    I imagine it was that X factor that made the band overlook many personality flaws.   Especially when you consider that they obviously shared a musical vision at the beginning (i.e....they all, including Geoff, wanted to make metal with a progressive "Rush-Pink Floyd" weirdness)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
Geoff really did have a voice of a lifetime and deserves to stand side by side with Halford, Bruce and Dio.

But he's always had a too cool for school demeanour which is lead singer 101. Dio gave Geoff one of the lead spots on that Hear n Aid song, so everyone knew the talent was there early on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 06:12:02 PM »
I was just being a wise guy J-Dude, but you make all great points.

Geoff really did have a voice of a lifetime and deserves to stand side by side with Halford, Bruce and Dio.

I guess. He just doesn't have the longevity of greatness, IMO, that they have.

I feel like, if I may use a baseball analogy, that Tate was like Sandy Koufax. Short lived greatness amongst the much longer careers of the other greats.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 06:23:47 PM »
I don't want to turn this into a "let's debate the metal singers" thread, but while Tate was great in his prime, even at his best, he was no Rob Halford.  Sorry, but he just wasn't.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38:56 PM »
I don't want to turn this into a "let's debate the metal singers" thread, but while Tate was great in his prime, even at his best, he was no Rob Halford.  Sorry, but he just wasn't.

Let's save that for The Singer Of The Day thread. Oh wait...um..

;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
Such a brilliant EP.  The reissue is obviously teh way to go with the inclusion of Prophecy and the Tokyo tracks.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 06:42:42 PM »
Such a brilliant EP.  The reissue is obviously teh way to go with the inclusion of Prophecy and the Tokyo tracks.

Absolutely worth it for those Tokyo tracks!