Author Topic: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread  (Read 107122 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: Cabaret and D2C (2010-2012)
« Reply #945 on: September 18, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
We're stepping into an era when I was actually aware of the band. I started listening to Queensryche in the summer of 2010 and fell in love with Operation: Mindcrime. There was also plenty of songs to appreciate from the other albums, most of which however grew on me over the next several years. I remember doing some research regarding where the band was at today, only to discover the last 13 years or so of their discography wasn't considered worth listening to by a lot of people and that they were performing shows in a cabaret-like setting. I was confused, to say the least.

I remember when Dedicated to chaos came out, it was the biggest backlash I've ever seen regarding a new release (only to be topped by Lou Reed's and Metallica's "Lulu", Megadeth's "Super collider", and "Frequency unknown"). I've only listened to the first two songs and I though they were fine musically. Lyrics were not up to Queensryche's standards. Influenced by the negative criticism of the album, I've never listened to it in full. I have a busy week ahead of me, but I'll try to give it a listen over the next several days and then dig deeper into it once my vacation starts next week.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #946 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:09 PM »
DtC is the only Queensryche album I don't own.  I'm pretty sure I've only heard a few songs from it and I'm okay with that.

I remember commenting on Wiltons Facebook page around this time that it was time to get rid of Tate and being surprised to have it "liked" by whoever was running his page.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #947 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
I felt bad for Michael Wilton seeing his band's reputation getting dragged through the gutter by the Tates.  Then again, I wonder why he stuck around.  Nothing is worth that kind of embarrassment. 

Despite the belief that musicians make a ton of money, the court documents had some financial sheets attached.  The bandmembers do well, but their earnings as of 2012 were modest, low-six figures.  They're regular guys with homes, mortgages, kids and expenses just like us. 

It's easier to go along with it and take the money than be the sole point of resistance (at the time, Rockenfeld and Tate's wives were close and Parker's married to Tate's daughter, so 3 out of 5 in the band were automatic "yes" votes for a cabaret tour, especially if their significant others might have been drawing a salary for performing on stage, so those families are earning two incomes from the tour). 

If you're Wilton, who seems like a pretty relaxed, non-confrontational guy, do you put up a bit stink about it and not tour with your own band, or do you go and just try to play the shit out of the songs every night and hide behind a hood so you don't see the lameness next to you onstage?

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #948 on: September 18, 2017, 01:15:24 PM »
Ah, the Cabaret tour. I remember them advertising the original couple of shows and being appalled.

Then they did a full tour of it and I couldn't quite believe they were seriously doing it.

Then they put out an almost sickening, and truly awful, song celebrating that they did it with a video that still haunts me.

For. Fuck's. Sake.

I never bought DtC but I have managed to hear all the songs via various means and it really did seem like a piss poor effort. Mostly it seemed like Tate just wanted to share his midlife crisis with us.

However, there are a couple of not that bad songs on it that I quite like - Get Started and Around The World. There's also At The Edge, which is almost one of the best songs they put out since the year 2000, but I've looked at that "like 911 a controlled demolition" line a number of times trying to work out what Tate was getting at with it and never been able to work out whether or not he was serious... the end result is I can't listen to it because I can't shake the suspicion that that's genuinely Tate's belief (or was at the time).

It was so sad to see what was once such an incredible band reduced to this.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #949 on: September 18, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »
This was such a frustrating time to be a Queensryche fan, but due to my enjoyment of Operation Mindcrime II and American Soldier, I still had high hopes for Dedicated to Chaos, especially when Scott had the audacity to compare it to both Rage for Order and Empire. My optimism was crushed once I heard the shockingly bland "Get Started", and I couldn't help but cringe at Geoff's "We're just gettin' wwwwarmed up," delivery. The other song that was released early, "Around the World," was much better to my ears even if it didn't sound anything like Queensryche.

Listening to the album in its entirety was simply one of the most bizarre and baffling experiences I've had, and I knew it was going to serve as the last straw for many long-suffering fans. By far the biggest horror came with "Wot We Do," which is probably the worst song I have in my entire music collection, and the fact that it has Queensryche's name on it is upsetting. "Got it Bad" and "I Believe" are also laughably bad. There are so many comedic, WTF moments on the album that at least you can't call it boring.

I agree that "At the Edge" is decent but there are a few other positives in my opinion. "Hard Times" is a really pretty song, which I believe was written by Scott. "Drive" has a pleasant, upbeat groove, "Big Noize" has a spacey opening guitar solo that actually sounds like it came from the same band who made Operation Mindcrime and Promised Land, and "Retail Therapy" and "The Lie" are both fairly catchy.

Last night out of morbid curiosity I revisited some of the Cabaret footage of Youtube, and it was just as appalling as I remembered. I'm just thankful that I didn't have to witness that atrocity in an actual audience because that would have been really depressing and uncomfortable. It's stunning how the band not only survived that, but would soon be making incredible metal music once again.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #950 on: September 18, 2017, 01:43:08 PM »

I agree that "At the Edge" is decent but there are a few other positives in my opinion. "Hard Times" is a really pretty song, which I believe was written by Scott. "Drive" has a pleasant, upbeat groove, "Big Noize" has a spacey opening guitar solo that actually sounds like it came from the same band who made Operation Mindcrime and Promised Land, and "Retail Therapy" and "The Lie" are both fairly catchy.

Big Noize is on my short list after At the Edge. I agree, the opening is kinda cool.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #951 on: September 18, 2017, 02:34:43 PM »
I felt bad for Michael Wilton seeing his band's reputation getting dragged through the gutter by the Tates.  Then again, I wonder why he stuck around.  Nothing is worth that kind of embarrassment. 

Despite the belief that musicians make a ton of money, the court documents had some financial sheets attached.  The bandmembers do well, but their earnings as of 2012 were modest, low-six figures.  They're regular guys with homes, mortgages, kids and expenses just like us. 

It's easier to go along with it and take the money than be the sole point of resistance (at the time, Rockenfeld and Tate's wives were close and Parker's married to Tate's daughter, so 3 out of 5 in the band were automatic "yes" votes for a cabaret tour, especially if their significant others might have been drawing a salary for performing on stage, so those families are earning two incomes from the tour). 

If you're Wilton, who seems like a pretty relaxed, non-confrontational guy, do you put up a bit stink about it and not tour with your own band, or do you go and just try to play the shit out of the songs every night and hide behind a hood so you don't see the lameness next to you onstage?

I went back and read Wilton's statement from the 2012 lawsuit, and I can see he was contemplating leaving after the Cabaret debacle, but he decided to stay as support for Scott and Ed.  Seems he and Tate hadn't gotten along for nearly a decade at that point. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #952 on: September 18, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
Ah yes, we have finally arrived at the "i want to throw up in my mouth" era, AKA the "I am embarrassed to be a QR fan" era.

I was so utterly disgusted by all of that non-sense. From the shitty, god awful album, to the appalling cabaret act where he let his daughter make a pig out of herself on stage. Must take after mommy, the ex-stripper. Boy Tate, you know how to pick em.

Wilton must have been losing his mind. No wife should ever manage a band, or be overly involved in a band's business. Its just asking for trouble.

To hell with all of that. At this point I was 100% done with QR, expecting nothing to change. Well, its always darkest before the dawn I guess, and its about to get a whole lot brighter.

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #953 on: September 18, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
I was getting dangerously close myself at this point in time to throwing in the towel myself figuring things would never change.

Just when ya thought it couldn't get any worse, The American Soldier tour was where I started to begin to feel the band had began to just be going through the motions. Then came the Cabaret tour and the dreaded Dedicated to Chaos album. Like many others have said, I never even bothered to purchase this record, the only Queensryche album I do not own and I can't see that changing, I have no desire to purchase it. I heard all I care to hear off the internet. If the band would have broke up during this time frame between DTC and the Brazil incident (wiping out the Tate firing and La Torre era, and they instead would have just disbanded) It would have been really sad and a shame, you talk about going from the penthouse to the gutter. Had they broke up and all that was left of their legacy was a steady downward slide that ended with the cabaret, DTC, and the assault and battery that was Brazil. That would have really sucked.

Thank God, that wasn't the end and it did not end on that note. The two best records by Queensryche since 1994 by far have been the next two on deck.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #954 on: September 18, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
I was completely checked out by now. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bill1971

« Reply #955 on: September 18, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
From Dedicated to Chaos has a few good tunes. All Around the World is really good. At the Edge and Get Started are pretty good. I skipped the Cabaret tour because well it should be obvious. That was a time too where I didn't miss a QR tour since the joint shows with DT.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #956 on: September 18, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Brian,. great write-ups!

I'm sorry not to contribute to the thread. They lost me at Promised Land, even though I would buy HITNF. With the exception of OM:II, I would never buy another Queensryche album again. They literally fell off the earth for me. A real musical tragedy.

I actually thought American Soldier was decent, sounding quite focused. But I just couldn't bring myself to spin it for this thread. But I've been reading the write-ups right along.  :tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #957 on: September 18, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »
Needless to say I was totally lost come 'Cabaret' but I hadn't even bought 'Tribe' so, yeah. The antics were getting so riddiculous at this point I was disgusted by the band (or Tate). I didn't even bother with Dedicated to Chaos. I love these write-ups though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #958 on: September 19, 2017, 01:11:56 AM »
Queensryche doing a show with strippers? No thanks! If this was Motley Crue or Whitesnake it would be kinda fitting with the image but surely not the former “thinking man’s metal” group. And I just read here that the Crue did it and did it better.

And this being America, were they really stripping or just dancing around in their underwear? Not that this would have been better, I’m just curious.

When D2C came out I sampled two or three tracks on youtube, didn’t like them and decided that, after so many letdowns, I finally had enough of Queensryche. Never bought the record, never listened to it in full and don’t intend to do so.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #959 on: September 19, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
A fan of the band made a comment to me a few times over the years that I didn't buy into at the time.  But in revisiting the band's history and my reaction to it, I have come to realize something and embrace it wholeheartedly for the first time:  Queensryche is dead.  The band I initially became a fan of and loved died when Chris DeGarmo left.  And it will never come back.

I'm with you on this one. Even if Tate would work on his vocals, make amends and they would reunite with him and DeGarmo and put out new music, they wouldn't be the Queensryche of old. Too much time has passed to recapture that early spirit. They would maybe put out good music (as they do imo with Todd) but it would be different. Kinda like Iron Maiden after the reunion, they are clearly still Iron Maiden, but not the Maiden of Powerslave, Piece of Mind etc.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #960 on: September 19, 2017, 01:50:13 AM »
Seems like nobody saw the cabaret tour and nobody bought the album. Wow.  :lol

Next up: 2012-2013: A discussion of the “Brazil Incident,” the fallout and changes from that (Tate's dismissal, Rising West, two Queensryches, etc.), Return to History Tour, Self-titled album.
Whoa, are you really going to cover all of this within one update? There's a lot to cram into that post, including two albums. As far as I'm concerned, take your time.  ;)  :tup

Offline Grappler

« Reply #961 on: September 19, 2017, 06:45:15 AM »
Seems like nobody saw the cabaret tour and nobody bought the album. Wow.  :lol

I know people saw the tour - the band has a lot of die-hards that see them every time they come through their town.  But like Samsara's writeup said, they had to rely on gimmicks to tour since they'd burned out so many cities by touring so relentlessly.

The court documents confirmed album sales, and Dedicated to Chaos had completely dismal sales compared to American Soldier and Mindcrime II.  As of 2012, I think the album had sold maybe 12,000 copies total.  If I'm not mistaken, the next album (the first with Todd) sold more albums in its first week of release than Dedicated to Chaos sold all year.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: September 19, 2017, 08:10:25 AM »
Brian,. great write-ups!

I'm sorry not to contribute to the thread. They lost me at Promised Land, even though I would buy HITNF. With the exception of OM:II, I would never buy another Queensryche album again. They literally fell off the earth for me. A real musical tragedy.

I actually thought American Soldier was decent, sounding quite focused. But I just couldn't bring myself to spin it for this thread. But I've been reading the write-ups right along.  :tup

Thanks man!

Whoa, are you really going to cover all of this within one update? There's a lot to cram into that post, including two albums. As far as I'm concerned, take your time.  ;)  :tup

Nah, it's pretty easy to do, honestly. There's not much to really cover. I already wrote it. Pretty much -- here's the situation, here's what happened, here's the fallout, here are the records. I'm not skipping anything, but to be honest, if people want the finer details of what happened in the lawsuit, there's a whole page with all the documents in date order they can read if they choose.

So that all will be one write-up, and then there will be a short one with Condition Human, and then this wraps up. It has been fun, but to be honest, I'm ready to be done.

Edit - check that. The next write-up will be the upheaval, Rising West, 2 Queensryches, and Frequency Unknown. The final write-up will cover the self-titled album (Queensryche 2013) and Condition Human. It is better to split them up that way, now that I am close to having it all written up.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:03:26 PM by Samsara »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #963 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:32 AM »
You know, before this point if they had made the change to Todd I might not have been in support of it...but this album and tour really opened up my mind.  Over the course of these two years (including the soon to be discussed 'Brazil incident') my perception of Tate changed dramatically.

I was sooooo on board for QRyche 2.0 largely because of this era.

Offline robbob

« Reply #964 on: September 19, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Rarely post but have too especially when it came to one of my favorite bands back in the day. Bosk's post about Queensryche being "dead" after De Garmo left pretty much says it all, even though we didn't know it at the time.

They became such a clusterf**k of a band it was totally ridiculous especially with the Cabaret tour and D2C. I can't think of another band that sunk so low. If I was Wilton there would be no way I would have put up with that, would have left for sure, EdBass too. As soon as a band stops being a band and has outside people writing their music they "die" for me. Of course a song here and there with outside writing is acceptable, but come on! Part of my enjoyment of liking a good band is the music they create together as a true band. That definitely stopped with Queensryche a ling time ago. Thankfully they kind of redeemed themselves with last 2 releases, but I haven't even listened to them much because of what had happened to this once great band.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Queensr˙che Discography Thread: 2012 Upheaval and Frequency Unknown
« Reply #965 on: September 21, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »
2012 Upheaval

Queensryche was at a breaking point in early 2012. On the surface, the band was touring for its 30th anniversary. But beneath it all, the core of the group was rotting. On top of that, some...shady things were going on.

Editor's Note: I have to be honest here in these write-ups. I don't really want to rehash a lot of this negativity, nor my role in some of what was to come. So, I am going to keep it basic, leading up to the Brazil incident. If you don't know the story, and want to know more, just PM me if you have questions.

Here are some of the things that was going on:

1) Scott Rockenfield uncovered that the Tates were preparing to sign away the movie rights to Operation: Mindcrime, which would have netted the Tates a windfall (not a ton, but rumored to be about $1 million), and the band would not have been aware of it happening (nor would they have gotten any money from it).

2) Wilton discovered singer Todd La Torre at NAMM in January 2012 (a chance run-in when La Torre mistakenly thought Wilton was Testament guitarist Eric Peterson), and the duo began writing material for commercials (Wilton had been doing instrumentals for commercials and TV shows for years).

3) Wilton was informed of an alleged plan of the Tates to have the band do a 25th Anniversary tour of Operation: Mindcrime in 2013, and when it concluded, Tate would walk away from Queensryche, leaving them without a singer.

4) An increasing number of Tate family members and extravagant charges began popping up in the payroll, and requests from members to look at the books were allegedly being denied.

5) The band began seriously evaluating all this and considering finding new management to curb a lot of the nepotism in their organization.

All of this came to a head in April 2012. Queensryche was headlining a show in Brazil with Fates Warning in support. Prior to the show, the band called a meeting to discuss management, and Tate declined to attend. The band voted to remove Susan Tate as manager of the group.

As the story goes, Tate found out about this, walked into the room at some point after the meeting had concluded, and asked if it was true. After hearing it was, he left. Then, prior to the show, in a fit of rage, he spit at and punched Michael Wilton in the eye, tore down Scott Rockenfield's drum kit, and went into a rage and had to be restrained by members of the crew. This delayed the show. When the band finally got cleaned up, they elected to move forward with the gig. During the show, Tate continually spit on Wilton and Rockenfield. At the end of the gig, the band and Tate were separated, and the parties flew home separately.

In May, Wilton, Eddie Jackson, and Scott Rockenfield, along with Parker Lundgren, announced a side project with Crimson Glory singer Todd La Torre, called RISING WEST. The group would perform tracks from Queensryche's first five releases (EP through Empire). The move also raised tensions in the Queensryche camp, as rumors circulated they were planning to replace Tate with La Torre.

Queensryche (with Tate) performed a scheduled date at Rocklahoma in late May. During this show, Tate told the crowd that “you guys suck.” Once the show concluded, the musicians in Queensryche prepared for the RISING WEST gigs.

RISING WEST made its debut on June 8, 2012, at the Hard Rock Cafe in Seattle, Washington. The band played on June 8 and June 9, performing identical setlists consisting of blistering metal hits from Queensryche's first four albums, and a cover of Iron Maiden's “Wrathchild.” Opening the shows with “Queen of the Reich,” where La Torre showcased his extreme high range in hitting the opening note of the song, the band played the songs in their original tuning. This differed from current Queensryche, which played many of the old songs down-tuned a half-step to assist Tate a bit so he could hit the notes a little lower.

The shows were fully sold out, and a complete success. Potential new management for the group were also there, and were blown away. Word of the performances spread like wildfire worldwide.

Editor's Note: I was there for both of those Rising West gigs, and for soundcheck and some rehearsal stuff. It was pretty amazing to watch. The band had rehearsed the set for four days straight prior to that first gig, dialing it in. You should have seen my mouth drop open at soundcheck for the first night. Todd walked out on the stage, and just effortlessly replicated the album opening note in Queen of the Reich with power. That one isn't on YouTube. And even though the shows are recorded, it really doesn't do them justice. It was an incredible vibe. It really made me believe in the band again. The whole room was buzzing all night long. It was a throwback of epic proportions in all the best ways and set the stage for what was to come.

In the weeks that followed, Queensryche played one more gig they had booked with Tate, and then terminated him from the group, replacing Tate with Todd La Torre.

Tate followed with a lawsuit against the band for wrongful termination, who countered sued. You can read the court filings (in order, for the most part) here: https://anybodylistening.net/lawsuit.html. These documents recount everything the parties were fighting over, and ultimately lead to a settlement two years later for an undisclosed sum. In a nutshell, the band got the rights to the name “Queensryche,” while Tate got money and the exclusive right to perform Operation: Mindcrime and Operation: Mindcrime II in their respective entirety.

In the interim, however, Queensryche booked shows, making its live debut under the name with La Torre at the Halfway Jam in Minnesota, on July 28, 2012. To-date, this is the longest set Queensryche has performed with La Torre, playing 19 songs and close to two hours. For the most part, since then, Queensryche's headline shows typically run 15-17 songs in length and 80-90-minutes.

They booked a tour throughout the remainder of 2012 and 2013 titled “Return to History,” where the band pulled out a setlist comprising various hits and deep cuts from 1982-1990. The tour received praise from both fans and critics.

During this time, however, a judge in the lawsuit ruled that both parties (Wilton, Jackson, Rockenfield and Geoff Tate) could perform AS Queensryche. So, as the “real” Queensryche was playing gigs with La Torre, Tate assembled a band of various players including Kelly Gray and Randy Gane to head out on the road as well. Their angle was performing Operation: Mindcrime in its entirety in 2013. So for two years, there were TWO Queensryches competing against one another for publicity and money.

As you can imagine, the competition between both groups fractured the fanbase, as fans took sides in the “war” over what side would ultimately win the name of “Queensryche.” Ultimately, after a lot of back and forth in the media, each band would release an album in 2013.

The first one was from Geoff Tate's version of the band...

Queensryche (Tate): Frequency Unknown (2013)

Lead vocals: Geoff Tate

Other personnel: There are so many contributors who recorded parts to the record, I am simply going to link the Wikipedia page here. It is very thorough, and has more knowledge about the record than I have. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_Unknown

Geoff Tate's version of Queensryche was the first to release an album of new material. Dropping in April 23, 2013 on Cleopatra, the record was available on CD, LP, and cassette (yes, a cassette tape). Tate co-wrote the record with Jason Slater, Randy Gane and a few outside writers, most notably Lukas Rossi of the reality show Rock Star: Supernova, who contributed a couple of tunes.

It was originally recorded and mixed by Jason Slater, and then later remixed by Billy Sherwood and re-released in 2014. It was later noted that in the rush to get the record out to the public before the other Queensryche (Wilton-Jackson-Rockenfield), the quality control on the mix suffered, so Cleopatra enlisted someone else to spruce up the recording.

Upon its initial release, Frequency Unknown was slammed by most critics and fans. Starting with the album cover and title, which most assumed was a derogatory slap at Tate's former bandmates, the division among those who had sided with the musicians of Queensryche and those who had sided with Tate was at its highest point.

In what was one of the most...odd promotional campaigns for the album, Cleopatra ran a contest enabling fans to record themselves to rip on/rant about Frequency Unknown and submit it to Tate. Tate then responded to these in a video of his own. You can find some of this on YouTube.

The Music

The songs on Frequency Unknown, however, weren't as gaudy and childish as the album cover and alleged message that was being sent. Extremely riff-heavy, the set is highlighted by the single, “Cold,” and the epic “The Weight of the World.” Craig Locicero (Forbidden) played rhythm guitar on on all songs, really bring a metal vibe to the project. The solos were handled by a who's who list of guest musicians including KK Downing (Judas Priest), Chris Poland (ex-Megadeth) and Ty Tabor (King's X), among others.

In short, it appears Tate wanted a metal record to shove up his former bandmates' collective asses, and for the most part, Frequency Unknown delivered - even if it wasn't successful. Listening to the album four years removed from the controversy, there certainly are high points to appreciate. In addition to the above-mentioned tracks, which are likely the top cuts, “Slave” is notable for just how plain heavy it is. To this point in his career, Tate likely hasn't sung over anything quite this heavy. It also has some atmosphere, which helps provide needed dynamics in the tune. Another standout is “Fallen.” Although still heavy, it has a lot of interesting progressions, musically.

Editor's Note: Unfortunately, Tate also re-recorded some Queensryche classics with different musicians which were tagged onto various versions of the album. I think it is safe to say that these are woefully inferior to the original recordings by the actual Queensryche.

The problem with Frequency Unknown, is that it is very obviously contrived. The style of music being presented is very modern metal, with tons of guitar solos and chunky riffs. But anyone paying attention to Geoff Tate's musical tastes leading up to this record knows it is exactly the opposite of what he had been gravitating to. In retrospect, even Slater admitted the entire record was a rush job to beat the “other” Queensryche to the market.

Given more time, and some reworking, the songs on Frequency Unknown might actually have broader appeal to the hard rock/metal audience. But that ship has sailed, and the album has languished in obscurity over the last few years.

I'm not sure what else to say about Frequency Unknown. It is a complete oddity in the catalog, and obviously not a traditional Queensryche record. It's Queensryche in name, but quite clearly a contrived project only meant to further Tate's legal position at the time he was fighting against his former bandmates.

But those former bandmates would respond about a month later with a landmark statement...

Samsara's top-tracks on Frequency Unknown: Cold, The Weight of the World

Offline Mladen

« Reply #966 on: September 21, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
3) Wilton was informed of an alleged plan of the Tates to have the band do a 25th Anniversary tour of Operation: Mindcrime in 2013, and when it concluded, Tate would walk away from Queensryche, leaving them without a singer.
This is the first time I've heard about this. Is this in the lawsuit documents?

I recall Frequency unknown was severely criticized upon release. It will get several listens from me next week, though, but I'm still digesting Dedicated to chaos. This album really is an oddity, everything about it is so strange.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: September 21, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »

This is the first time I've heard about this. Is this in the lawsuit documents?

I recall Frequency unknown was severely criticized upon release. It will get several listens from me next week, though, but I'm still digesting Dedicated to chaos. This album really is an oddity, everything about it is so strange.

I thought it was, although I could be mistaken (I haven't gone back to check). Long story short, Wilton was tipped off from someone who was close friends with both Slater and himself about what was in the works.

Yeah, I realize I sped up some things here. I apologize, but to be honest, I'd like to wrap all this up before the end of the month. I'll post the last entry (covering both albums to-date with La Torre) next Wednesday. So, I wanted to get this interim piece in there now, and figured there probably wasn't going to be a lot of D2C discussion.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #968 on: September 21, 2017, 10:34:22 AM »
Samsara, I am thoroughly enjoying these write ups. Thank you!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #969 on: September 21, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Yes...thank-you so much Samsara for the time and effort you put into these...it has been a wonderful read.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #970 on: September 21, 2017, 11:01:59 AM »
Yes...thank-you so much Samsara for the time and effort you put into these...it has been a wonderful read.

Seconded.  This thread has been a fun ride!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #971 on: September 21, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »
I remember all the drama as it went down.

By that time, I stopped caring about Queensryche, but from an outsider, Tate got what was coming to him. Reading now that Frequency Unknown may have had its moment it's even worse, since as pointed out it could have been a nice album rather than a "Hey quick write me a metal album to go tell my bandmates to FU" move. On principle I will never bother to listen to this, ever.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Grappler

« Reply #972 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
I had been down on Geoff's vocals since Mindcrime II/Take Cover.  So when the split happened, I was all for it.  I hadn't seen the band on the last few tours and was hoping that injecting some new life, and a real metal singer into the band could spark some creativity.  I had known of Todd through him being the current singer for Crimson Glory, though that band rarely did any touring and zero recording.  I watched the Rocklahoma set, and read about all of the issues surrounding the breakup.   I recall that Portnoy actually witnessed everything, as he was drumming for Fates Warning, who were also at that same show in Brazil.

The fan drama surrounding the singer change was absolutely pathetic.  I get being upset that your favorite band fired their legendary singer, but to take it to the extremes that both sides did, was so lame, and anyone involved in that stuff should be completely ashamed of themselves.  There's more to life than whether or not your favorite musician is in a particular band, and there's more to life than badgering others via the internet.  Sadly, there will always be idiots that feel the need to bully people for some perceived slight, their beliefs, or the happenings surrounding sports, music, or any other topic, including forums related to said topics. 

And quote honestly, the lawsuit documents are a fascinating read - I work in insurance and get to read all sorts of lawsuits that develop into insurance claims, so reading about the inner workings of my one-time favorite band was incredible.  It also shed a ton of light on the situation, and I never followed them as closely as others, and as Queensryche once sang - it let the fans read between the lines and feel the walls become sand beneath their feet.  Rather than having to listen to the propaganda from one camp or the other, the info was there for the public to read themselves.

As for Frequency Unknown, I never had any interest.  It's really sad that it took these events to get Geoff to metal himself back up, and anyone familiar with him or his music could see though that a mile away.  I supported the band during this time and thought it was silly that Geoff opted to rush an album out so they could muddy the waters about who was "Queensryche."  That being said, the band didn't do themselves any favor by rushing their album out either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #973 on: September 21, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
I had been down on Geoff's vocals since Mindcrime II/Take Cover.  So when the split happened, I was all for it.  I hadn't seen the band on the last few tours and was hoping that injecting some new life, and a real metal singer into the band could spark some creativity.

Agreed.  But unlike you, I knew nothing about LaTorre before the Rising West business.  I heard the cover of QOTR he put up on YouTube first, if memory serves.  My reaction was along the lines of, "Wow, dude sounds JUST like Tate in the glory days.  I know it is a lot easier to pull off a great performance in studio than live, but if he sounds even a fraction of this good, it's better than Tate has sounded in years."  Hearing some clips from the RW shows and the reviews of Todd's performance, I was all-in when it was announced that Tate was dismissed and the band was continuing with Todd as the new singer.

The fan drama surrounding the singer change was absolutely pathetic.  I get being upset that your favorite band fired their legendary singer, but to take it to the extremes that both sides did, was so lame, and anyone involved in that stuff should be completely ashamed of themselves.

I mostly agree, although with the assumption that "involved" doesn't simply mean discussing and commenting on it all, which a lot of us here did on this forum and the Breakdown Room.  Most of that was fine, and most of what did manage to cross the line on either of those two forums was put down by the mods.  But yeah, there was a lot out there that was positively toxic.

That said, given the things that came out about what Geoff had done, I think it was easy to "pick sides" without really even thinking about it.  Yeah, there is still speculation about quite a bit of it.  But as far as the stuff that was corroborated by witnesses, there was no way a lot of us could have gotten behind Tate.  And I think it was telling that a lot of people close to the band that I might have assumed would have followed or been loyal to Tate ended up showing loyalty to the band instead (e.g. Fozzy, Pamela Moore, etc.).

As for Frequency Unknown, I never had any interest.  It's really sad that it took these events to get Geoff to metal himself back up, and anyone familiar with him or his music could see though that a mile away.  I supported the band during this time and thought it was silly that Geoff opted to rush an album out so they could muddy the waters about who was "Queensryche."  That being said, the band didn't do themselves any favor by rushing their album out either.

I had no interest either.  For one thing, given Geoff's conduct, there was no way I was going to support him in this project.  It usually takes a lot for a musician's conduct alone to sour me on buying otherwise good music unless the person outwardly engages in something that I really find morally offensive.  But Tate had crossed the line as far as I was concerned, and I just couldn't get past that.  Of course, the decision was made easier for me by the fact that the music just wasn't that good.  Despite Samsara's more positive review of the music now that there is a lot more water under the bridge, I didn't find what I heard at all interesting at the time and have no desire to revisit it now.  And I don't think I could get past the knowledge that it is packaged as "Queensryche" despite that it is nothing of the kind. 

Another interesting tidbit relating to the album that I will repeat:  When we found out who the guest musicians were, I was REALLY disappointed to see Dave Meniketti's name on the list, and I told him so.  His response was basically, "Hey, I didn't know about all the drama.  I was just asked by a friend to come in and lay down a solo, so I did.  I had no idea about all this baggage."  And to be clear about my paraphrase, I don't think he was apologizing for having done his guest spot, but more just explaining that he wasn't aware of what had happened and wasn't taking any side or position on any of it.  And that's all fine. 

Anyhow, this was a REALLY interesting time in the band's history.  A lot of things about the band dynamic that had been hinted at or speculated about through the years in terms of their dysfunction had now been confirmed and put out on display, and it was so much more and so much deeper than I think most of us could have imagined.  From that perspective, it was a dark time.  Add to the fact that the lawsuit was going on, and I think a lot of fans felt uncertainty.  But there was also the prospect of them FINALLY making good music again with Todd, and performing the classics the way they were meant to be performed.  I know most of us were really looking forward to hearing what the band could achieve.  And once the "return to history" touring started, we were really happy with what the band was giving us in a live setting.  So, despite the upheaval, things were...good.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Grappler

« Reply #974 on: September 21, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
I mostly agree, although with the assumption that "involved" doesn't simply mean discussing and commenting on it all, which a lot of us here did on this forum and the Breakdown Room.  Most of that was fine, and most of what did manage to cross the line on either of those two forums was put down by the mods.  But yeah, there was a lot out there that was positively toxic.

That said, given the things that came out about what Geoff had done, I think it was easy to "pick sides" without really even thinking about it.  Yeah, there is still speculation about quite a bit of it.  But as far as the stuff that was corroborated by witnesses, there was no way a lot of us could have gotten behind Tate.  And I think it was telling that a lot of people close to the band that I might have assumed would have followed or been loyal to Tate ended up showing loyalty to the band instead (e.g. Fozzy, Pamela Moore, etc.).

I'm referring to activities that were conducted off of both DTF and the Breakdown Room forums.  It was really sad to hear how badly some fans were being treated, and I'm glad that the forums did what they could to keep that drama off of the boards, for the most part.  I wasn't a fan of Tate at all during this period, but I wouldn't begrudge people for being a fan of his, though it was clear that some people see him through rose colored glasses, and lay the blame squarely at the band's feet. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: September 21, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
I remember when Dedicated to chaos came out, it was the biggest backlash I've ever seen regarding a new release (only to be topped by Lou Reed's and Metallica's "Lulu", Megadeth's "Super collider", and "Frequency unknown").

You should have been around for Queen's 'Hot Space'!   >:(

Sorry that I have to step back to DtC for a second, and provide Tate's link for the 'Kilroy Was Here' on steroids 'old chum' tour 
https://geofftate.com/the-queensryche-cabaret/

and also mention how tough it had to have been to be somewhat in the middle of all of that at the time, not only as still loyal fans, but also as a webmaster.  Appreciate all that you do and don't write out of a code of honor for these troubling times.  I'm starting to sift through the court documents.  I've finished the plaintiff's motion and defense response.  No need for me to go into derogatory nouns and adjectives here, as the legal words speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:59:23 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #976 on: September 21, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
I've only recently become a fan of Queen and I actually like Hot space quite a bit.  ;)

Samsara, I hope you didn't interpret my post as "slow down with the write-ups". It's your thread and you should do it the way you want to, especially since every single update was very detailed, informative and entertaining. You're truly doing a remarkable job with this.  :tup

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #977 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:03 PM »
I quite enjoyed the drama, in a sick, twisted way. I blamed Tate for ruining my once favourite band so took some delight in his downfall.
I did also blame the rest of the band for allowing him to do it. They should have stood up for their band.

I was excited at the thought of Rising West because those songs deserve to be played, and played well. It seemed like it was only a matter of time before Todd would be in QR.

Then FU came along. In theory, it should be more up my street than the last several albums. More riff, guest solos from some of my favourite players. I've heard it once and it is a steaming pile of shite. I won't be playing it again. And those rerecords? Fucking hilarious. In a bad way. How far up his own arse would Tate need to be to think his vocal on Silent Lucidity was anything but embarrassing?

Anyway, Wolfking wrote the best review of FU, it's in the Classic Metal thread. Well worth a read. Certainly more entertaining than the album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #978 on: September 21, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
Anyway, Wolfking wrote the best review of FU, it's in the Classic Metal thread. Well worth a read. Certainly more entertaining than the album.

:rollin  I had forgotten about that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #979 on: September 21, 2017, 05:19:56 PM »
I remember when Dedicated to chaos came out, it was the biggest backlash I've ever seen regarding a new release (only to be topped by Lou Reed's and Metallica's "Lulu", Megadeth's "Super collider", and "Frequency unknown").

You should have been around for Queen's 'Hot Space'!   >:(

Sorry that I have to step back to DtC for a second, and provide Tate's link for the 'Kilroy Was Here' on steroids 'old chum' tour 
https://geofftate.com/the-queensryche-cabaret/

and also mention how tough it had to have been to be somewhat in the middle of all of that at the time, not only as still loyal fans, but also as a webmaster.  Appreciate all that you do and don't write out of a code of honor for these troubling times.  I'm starting to sift through the court documents.  I've finished the plaintiff's motion and defense response.  No need for me to go into derogatory nouns and adjectives here, as the legal words speak for themselves.

:facepalm: :lol :rollin