Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48659 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #455 on: August 05, 2022, 10:38:56 AM »
I really dug it. Not perfect by any stretch but a good sendoff. They had two stories that I think they handled well. Wasn’t super dark or anything and brought back the hopefulness and fun that wasnt always present this season. Plus nice cameo at the end.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2022, 09:12:33 AM »
I really liked the finale, even though it didn't fully resolve everything with the Moclan and Krill conflict. With the aftermath of the battle episode, it was a nice change of pace, high on humor and lighthearted-ness.

Also it finally hit me, Klyden is played by the same actor, Chad L Coleman, who played Fred Johnson in The Expanse.

https://i.redd.it/36apcw1cjxf91.jpg

also the drummer at the wedding was a cameo of someone famous. he looks familiar but i'm spacing on who. It looks a little like J Michael Stracyznski from Babylon 5.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:22:36 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2022, 02:01:16 PM »

Also it finally hit me, Klyden is played by the same actor, Chad L Coleman, who played Fred Johnson in The Expanse.

He was Cutty in the Wire too, he was also in The Walking Dead for a while.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #458 on: August 07, 2022, 07:45:49 PM »
Finally saw the finale tonight, and I thought it was pretty good.  It was smart resolving the main Kaylon conflict last episode and getting Charly out of the way (pretty cool character arc, if a bit cliched and clumsily executed at times) so that this episode could relax a bit, and give us some promise for the future.  Yeah, the Moclan/Krill alliance is still out there, but things onboard The Orville are peachy for now, and life goes on.

Nice to see Alara again.  I forgot how damned cute she is.

The return of the egg salad sandwich!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 07:52:34 PM by Orbert »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: August 08, 2022, 09:42:31 AM »

:o

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 08, 2022, 11:14:09 AM »
So, I just learned that there was a Season 3 episode that was cut due to covid impacts on the series, but it was released as a novella.  Ebook or audiobook (narrated by Bruce Boxleitner) only, apparently.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: August 13, 2022, 02:17:28 PM »
Late to the party but I watched S01 last week and are now halfway into S02. Honestly, I absolutely love everything about this.

I had to just mention one thing, in S02-E6, the concert segment is such a great capture of a live performance with an orchestra. I love how they focus on diffrent instruments and see them play the correct parts. I know it's a nerdy thing but I love attention like that. I just hate for example when they zoom in on a drummer in a band and he plays off-beat or something to the music.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #462 on: August 13, 2022, 09:56:57 PM »
I always appreciate it when care is taken to at least make it look like someone is actually playing what we're hearing.  Best of all is when the actor can actually play, but it seems like a decent actor could fake it pretty well.  It's just another kind of acting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #464 on: November 26, 2022, 10:04:30 AM »
That would be awesome!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude