Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48648 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #420 on: June 12, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »
I thought Isaac getting a bit TMI with admiral was kinda funny. That was the first time I saw in this season what could be described as Seth’s “brand” of comedy.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #421 on: June 16, 2022, 07:16:37 AM »
They are toying with classic, big themes, but doing it in a shallow/rushed way so there's a lot to critique, but I'm still finding it very enjoyable. I hope they lose the whole drama around Isaac pretty soon as he's one of my favourite characters and the moments around him make for very funny moments. The whole practical joke from season 1 when he cut off that guy's foot in his sleep is still giving me chuckles when I think about it. Also, get rid of the kids, please. Nothing interesting around them and they're not really good at acting either.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #422 on: June 16, 2022, 09:36:01 AM »
They are toying with classic, big themes, but doing it in a shallow/rushed way so there's a lot to critique, but I'm still finding it very enjoyable. I hope they lose the whole drama around Isaac pretty soon as he's one of my favourite characters and the moments around him make for very funny moments. The whole practical joke from season 1 when he cut off that guy's foot in his sleep is still giving me chuckles when I think about it. Also, get rid of the kids, please. Nothing interesting around them and they're not really good at acting either.
"Drama around Isaac" has been a problem for most of the show's run. Isaac is tailor made for that particular style of comedy. The thing with the leg might be the funniest gag the show's pulled off (and the leg randomly dropping from the ceiling later was a great callback). So many episodes in S2, and from what I gather S3 revolve around him and Flynn's family and they simply weren't good. He's a great supporting character, but he's also been the subject of their most boring episodes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #423 on: June 17, 2022, 02:54:01 AM »
The 3rd episode was again OK - I kind off worked out the twist midway though the episode.  There was a little more humour on this one, but considering the story there was potential for much more.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2022, 08:36:18 AM »
The 3rd episode was again OK - I kind off worked out the twist midway though the episode.  There was a little more humour on this one, but considering the story there was potential for much more.

You figured out halfway through that the specific aliens from that other episode had evolved 50000 years, become immortal and we’re trying to understand death through the eyes of the people that shaped their history? That’s really impressive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »

You figured out halfway through that the specific aliens from that other episode had evolved 50000 years, become immortal and we’re trying to understand death through the eyes of the people that shaped their history? That’s really impressive.
I was thinking the same thing.

I figured it was some sort of holographic tech pretty early on, but that was about it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #426 on: June 21, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
I still like The Orville, and I don't think this season is any better or worse than previous seasons.  Maybe a little better, actually.  But here the thing.  The Orville came up during a time when I was hurting for some Star Trek.  I didn't watch Discovery in 2017, but I watched The Orville.  Later, I caught up with Discovery but I still find The Orville to be more faithful to "old school" Star Trek than the new Trek.  So The Orville filled a hole for me, scratched the itch, whatever you want to call it.

Now we have Strange New Worlds, which IMO is a return to form.  Episodic, mostly focusing on concepts and stories, and while they've leaned pretty heavily into the characters, it's not the travesty that Discovery is with Cadet/Ensign/Captain Michael Burnham saving the fucking galaxy every week.

Anyway, my point is that now that we Strange New Worlds, I find myself not as anxious to watch The Orville.  I'll go two or three days after it drops before checking out the new episode.  It can wait until the weekend, because I have "real" Trek now.  And The Orville is still good and I still like it, but now it has to compete with actual Star Trek, the kind I like.  And while it scratched the itch, it was never quite as good as the real thing.

This week's episode kinda emphasized that to me.  It was a follow-up to a Season 1 episode that I thought was pretty cool, but the follow-up was pretty weak.  We spent most of the episode wondering WTF was going on, then when we got the answer, it was seriously underwhelming.  Really?  That's all the explanation we're gonna get?

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #427 on: June 21, 2022, 03:58:23 PM »

Lol no.

I figured out Talla wasn't the real Talla.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #428 on: June 24, 2022, 01:29:36 AM »
Episode 4 was by far the best episode of the season, really good story, pacing felt on point too.

Offline Adami

« Reply #429 on: June 24, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »

Lol no.

Also impressive! I honestly didn't figure it out. I started wondering when everyone had an "experience" but her but then they pretty quickly told us. What gave it away?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #430 on: June 24, 2022, 03:50:56 PM »

Lol no.

Also impressive! I honestly didn't figure it out. I started wondering when everyone had an "experience" but her but then they pretty quickly told us. What gave it away?

I just got a feeling during the second program on the plane that someone was an imposter, and remembered the episode started with her coming back to the Orville from personal leave, making her the obvious candidate.   Then when she claimed to have her experience along with Kelly it pretty much confirmed it.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #431 on: July 04, 2022, 01:59:25 AM »
Latest episode was a real slog.  Aside from the Krill episode I've been generally struggling with this season, the spark just isn't there.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2022, 12:10:52 PM »
Finally caught up.  I thought the Topa episode was really well done.  I'm sure it annoyed the people who are annoyed by trans issues, but I thought it made some good points and provided a relatable point of view.  Also, it followed the tried-and-true method of Sci-Fi using an analogy (albeit a very obvious one here) to make points about our own society.

Offline Adami

« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »
Also liked the latest episode. A bit TOO on the nose, but still largely handled well.

The season is definitely a bit more....dreary....than the others, but I'm really digging it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #434 on: July 06, 2022, 12:52:20 PM »
Finally caught up.  I thought the Topa episode was really well done.  I'm sure it annoyed the people who are annoyed by trans issues, but I thought it made some good points and provided a relatable point of view.  Also, it followed the tried-and-true method of Sci-Fi using an analogy (albeit a very obvious one here) to make points about our own society.

See and what I thought was most interesting about it was that (IMO) it was a bit ambiguous as to which side it was landing on.

Don’t want to get too P/R, but I thought the episode could be taken two ways. On the one hand, it could be taken as a modern day allegory for trans rights to choose…but there was also a subtext of changing what what you were born with being “wrong”.

I could see people getting in an uproar over either direction while the artist can just sit back and say…”what did it mean to YOU?”

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #435 on: July 06, 2022, 01:55:26 PM »
I don't disagree with that.  While I'm pretty sure we're supposed to feel like The Orville crew was "right" and the Union brass were "wrong", it goes deeper than that.  I thought they did a good job of bringing in some political reasons why we can't just do what we think is right.  The Moclans have their own culture which is just as "right" to them as it is "wrong" to us, and right now is not a good time to alienate one of our allies, especially one that supplies a lot of the hardware we need to fight the war.  So there were layers.  I'm just saying that it presented both sides of the argument pretty well, regardless of how we the viewers might feel personally about the issue.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #436 on: July 07, 2022, 01:51:49 AM »
I'm sure it annoyed the people who are annoyed by trans issues.

Why?  Essentially this episode was about a trans person being confused and unhappy and only able to find happiness when turned back into their birth gender.

But as I said the episode bored me, and it's message was confusing and delivered with all the subtly of a day time soap opera.  It even setup a subplot (the archaeology stuff) that was pretty much dropped after the intro.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: July 07, 2022, 09:05:12 AM »
I'm just glad they got rid of Klyden.  I hate that guy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #438 on: July 07, 2022, 10:15:53 AM »
I'm sure it annoyed the people who are annoyed by trans issues.

Why?  Essentially this episode was about a trans person being confused and unhappy and only able to find happiness when turned back into their birth gender.

You just answered your own question.  If you're already annoyed by all the media attention (for lack of a better term) on trans issues these days, then a full episode, actually the longest Orville episode so far, dedicated to this issue would be a complete turnoff.  I personally don't have a problem with trans folk or the issues they face, but I didn't need an hour and 15 minutes dedicated to it.  That said, I thought it was well done and I enjoyed it.

I kept waiting for the B story with the archeological ruins to somehow connect to the main story, but it never happened.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #439 on: July 07, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »
Not to get too much into it, they handled the first episode much better. As for the latter, I liked the episode, just wasn't a fan of the "let the kid decide" parallel they were leaning towards. In their particular case, it made sense, as it's just reversing something, but we all know what the messaging is. That said, I'm not bothered by it, and if I were in charge, I would put it as a second plot in an episode, instead of dedicating so much time to it, in what is most likely your final season before being canceled for good.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #440 on: July 07, 2022, 03:17:12 PM »
Despite the massive shift in tone this season, I am enjoying it overall quite a bit. The episodes are definitely unnecessarily long - good stories and well told, but could have been done in 55 minutes or less rather than 65-75 minutes and still with plenty of room to breathe.

Other than being a bit too long, I otherwise thought the Topa episode was excellent.

The latest episode though, I'm less keen on. It was a great idea and was being told well, but I feel pretty unsatisfied about the resolution and how everyone just seems to agree they did the right thing when I'm not at all convinced that they did.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #441 on: July 07, 2022, 08:57:15 PM »
they announced awhile back that while the 3rd and likely final season was delayed and was going to be less episodes, all of the episodes were going to be slightly longer.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: July 08, 2022, 12:36:03 PM »
Despite the massive shift in tone this season, I am enjoying it overall quite a bit. The episodes are definitely unnecessarily long - good stories and well told, but could have been done in 55 minutes or less rather than 65-75 minutes and still with plenty of room to breathe.

Huh.  I didn't even notice they were longer.

The latest episode though, I'm less keen on. It was a great idea and was being told well, but I feel pretty unsatisfied about the resolution and how everyone just seems to agree they did the right thing when I'm not at all convinced that they did.

Yeah, I guess they're trying to distinguish their setting from Star Trek where anything goes time-travel-wise.  But, I was really conflicted.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #443 on: July 08, 2022, 09:21:36 PM »
There wasn't really an easy answer, no matter what.  I didn't like that the original plan was to grab Malloy and take him back to the future (ha!) against his will, after he'd spent 10 years, built a life and started a family.  But the solution of jumping back those 10 years to when he'd only been there a month and still wanted to go "home" still meant that in some alternate reality, he did meet the girl of his dreams fantasies, married her, and started a family, but that isn't "our" reality.  But he couldn't/wouldn't leave them, and it really was unfair to expect him to.  I did like that they revisited the girl from the WTF episode and the cell phone.

So we got the least crappy solution, and I think maybe part of the message was that there wasn't a good clean solution, and that's why you don't fuck around with time travel.

A little more in the Isaac/Charly thing.  I still think she's being unprofessional by being so openly a bitch to him, but that's a few times now that she's also done her job, with/for Isaac, when she clearly didn't want to.  So I guess she gets points for doing her job, but loses them for being a bitch about it.  At least they avoided the trope of them working together and suddenly coming out of it best buds or even friends at all.  She still blames him for the death of her more-than-friend, and rightfully so, and no, she still hates everything he stands for.

And on a completely shallow note, I didn't think much of Charly before now, but she looked really nice in jeans with her hair down.  Like, whoa.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #444 on: July 09, 2022, 10:30:02 AM »

And on a completely shallow note, I didn't think much of Charly before now, but she looked really nice in jeans with her hair down.  Like, whoa.

I read somewhere (and dunno if it's a joke as Seth has a history of this) but the actress is currently dating Seth.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #445 on: July 09, 2022, 09:25:44 PM »
That's what I read as well.  Seth does that.  He was dating Halston Sage (Alara Kitan) during the first season.  So if you're currently dating him, you get to be on the show.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #446 on: July 09, 2022, 09:48:06 PM »
That's what I read as well.  Seth does that.  He was dating Halston Sage (Alara Kitan) during the first season.  So if you're currently dating him, you get to be on the show.

For someone who has been so openly critical of Weinstein and the casting couch culture…it seems a bit….weird.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #447 on: July 09, 2022, 10:40:57 PM »
I see what you mean, but I honestly think it's more like good old-fashioned nepotism.  I've never heard about anything improper going on between Seth and his co-stars, other than that the ones he was dating at the time and who probably got cast because of it.  But IDGAF really, it's his show, he can do what he wants.  I liked Alara, and Charly isn't quite a horrible character; it just seems like her talents are snarking on Kaylons, and thinking in four dimensions or some shit.  Whatever, she's cute.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #448 on: July 10, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »
I see what you mean, but I honestly think it's more like good old-fashioned nepotism.  I've never heard about anything improper going on between Seth and his co-stars, other than that the ones he was dating at the time and who probably got cast because of it.  But IDGAF really, it's his show, he can do what he wants.  I liked Alara, and Charly isn't quite a horrible character; it just seems like her talents are snarking on Kaylons, and thinking in four dimensions or some shit.  Whatever, she's cute.
I generally agree with you. At the same time, Alara left the show right around the time they split up. Not saying that there was anything wrong there, I haven't heard that she had a problem with it, but the timing was kind of noticeable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #449 on: July 10, 2022, 04:24:14 PM »
Oh yeah, the timing was a bit obvious.  And if it really does come down to "they're banging, she gets to be on the show; they broke up, she's gone" then that's pretty shitty on Seth's part.  But again, it's his show.  I'm pretty good at separating the art from the artist, and in the end, all I really care about is whether the show is any good.  Alara was a cool character.  Charly gets a lot of shit on some of the other boards I visit, but it's hard to tell how much is because they truly dislike the character and how much is some kind of resent that she obviously got the gig because she's banging Seth.

It reminds me of Paul McCartney and Wings, and how Linda McCartney was always there, singing bad background vocals and playing the occassional tambourine.  People gave her shit about it, even gave Paul some shit about it.  But I saw an interview with Linda, and she was under no illusions at all.  She's up there because Paul loves her and wants her on stage with him, and he's Paul McCartney and it's his band, so she's up there on stage with him.  Simple as that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2022, 06:21:12 AM »
Latest episode was real gem - A return of some humour, a whole lot of heart and a decent plot (and a couple of fun sub plots).  Pretty much perfect Orville.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #451 on: July 24, 2022, 07:39:46 PM »
after the Season 3 finale, all 3 seasons will be picked up by Disney+.

It might suggest a 4th Season could be coming.

https://screenrant.com/the-orville-streaming-disney-plus-season-3-finale/

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #452 on: July 25, 2022, 01:50:48 AM »
after the Season 3 finale, all 3 seasons will be picked up by Disney+.

It might suggest a 4th Season could be coming.

https://screenrant.com/the-orville-streaming-disney-plus-season-3-finale/

Makes sense as it's already on the Disney+ in the UK.
After a mixed bag at the start the most recent two episodes have been really good.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44:26 PM »
Just watched episode 8.

Great job of storytelling. I really wish ST:SNW hadn’t stole his thunder, because Seth is on a roll.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #454 on: August 05, 2022, 07:17:25 AM »
The last (ever?) episode was a bit of a miss - way to long.  I kind off get why they did this episode if they thought this is the last ever, but it wasn't great.  Shame because the last few episodes were great.