Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 49046 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #350 on: March 04, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
I waited until both parts aired before watching them, because I hate cliffhangers.  I'm glad that they did this mid-season and not as an actual cliffhanger over a season break.

I thought it was pretty damned good.  Both parts.  In this case, unlike most Trek, the second part actually delivered and didn't feel like a cop out.  Calling in the Krill was bold.  But they've laid some groundwork for an uneasy alliance already, and this built upon that, so cool.  Isaac came through, as most people figured he would, and of course it was "the power of love" or something like that.  But it worked for me.  Isaac seemed changed after his reboot, like he was ready to toe the line, but when Kaylon Primary threatened Ty, we knew he wasn't gonna let that go.  But it came up in a reasonably plausible, dramatic way.  So... cool.

Those who predicted Isaac wiping out the rest of the Kaylons, kudos to you!  Not all of them, and it was done using some technobabble (EMP over the comms?  Really?)  But whatever, he sacrificed himself to disable the others and save the ship, and that's good because he's gonna need a few points on his side to build back some cred on the ship.  He was, after all, responsible for the deaths of several Orville crew members and the entire attack on Earth and everyone who died in it.

No, it didn't really make sense that the Kaylons needed another planet, since they obviously have huge amount of empty space on their current planet.  And it made even less sense that they'd travel all the way to Earth just to kill all humans.  If they wanted another planet, I'm sure there are plenty closer to their homeworld, including some far better suited to them.  But whatever, I guess we needed to have "the whole human race" threatened, and this is how they did it.

Some things you let slip, as long as other things work.  Whether or not an episode, or a show in general, works for you, depends on which things are important and which things you're willing to let slip.  The premise of them attacking Earth didn't make sense, but after all the other pretty good drama up to then, and the damned good CGI battle scenes, I could let it go.

Overall, I'd say this was the high point of the series thus far, or at least one of the high points.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #351 on: March 04, 2019, 05:44:08 PM »
WTF?  Double post.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #352 on: March 04, 2019, 10:16:55 PM »
it was great, although I wasn't blown away by the outcome in part 2, as the lead up in the 1st part.

But it was certainly among if not the best episodes of the series thus far.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2019, 08:42:42 AM »
I just noticed that S2 ended a couple of weeks ago. Did people just stop watching it, or was there simply nothing to comment about? I didn't give up on it, really, but I haven't had a huge amount of enthusiasm about watching it, either. Last episode I watched was with the astrological dickhead planet, and while it was actually a pretty good episode, those have been few and far between. Just haven't mustered up the interest in seeing Claire bang Isaac.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »
The season finale was pretty epic. Isaac has practically disappeared. He's there but has been pushed pretty far to the back. It was nice to see Alara back for a bit in the finale.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
Yea, I haven't posted cause no one else was. But I've been really impressed with this season. The last few episodes have been fantastic.

Was it renewed?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
Yea, I haven't posted cause no one else was. But I've been really impressed with this season. The last few episodes have been fantastic.

Was it renewed?
Good to hear. I'll make a point to try and get back to it. Though it's a shame about Isaac. He was my favorite character.

And the ratings were pretty awful by the end of it. I wouldn't hold my breath for a renewal. Taking away the always high season premiers, the average ratings dropped from 4.33 to 2.96. That doesn't bode too well, but they might be willing to give it one final chance. Two seasons is a little short to yank the plug.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2019, 11:26:43 AM »
Unfortunately, my posting is mostly reactive rather than proactive.  If a thread I'm following gets updated, I'll see it, open it, and maybe comment.  I've been following The Orville since the beginning and have still caught every episode, but for some reason I don't come onto DTF and post about it.  I follow a couple of more Orville-specific forums for that, but I'm never the first one to post there when there's a new episode, so I'm still mostly reacting to what others have said.

Current theory about Isaac is that after the Kaylon deal, Isaac's status has changed considerably, but we just don't know exactly how yet.  He did betray The Union, and the fact that he ultimately ended up changing sides due to his relationship with with Claire's kids doesn't change that.  Basically he's turned traitor at least a couple of times, so now nobody trusts him.  His role in the show has clearly been diminished, mostly "Isaac, compute this for me", but it's not clear whether the writers haven't figured out yet where to go with him, or we just haven't seen it yet.  Since the season ended and we never got an answer, hopefully we get it next season (if there is a next season) because it's a pretty big question.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »
Isaac was such a strong character, for me at least, that the whole Kaylon plot wasn't worth it at least for now. They've turned them into the super-baddies and that's it, which is a big loss in my opinion, not just because now we get to see Isaac a lot less, but I feel like they could have done a bit more with them, although nothing specific comes to mind. I'm beginning to think they did that as a way to softly write-out Isaac of the show as he became the best thing about the show.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2019, 03:02:28 PM »
I loved the first season of this show, but I haven't seen any of the second. I'm a cord cutter and no longer have Hulu. I have no other way to watch this show otherwise.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
EDIT: Wrong thread, sorry!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
I loved the first season of this show, but I haven't seen any of the second. I'm a cord cutter and no longer have Hulu. I have no other way to watch this show otherwise.
It was on broadcast television. You so far in the Styx you don't get the local FOX affiliate? And I gather you have some ethical objection to just DL'ing the thing. For shows that are free to actually watch I check those concerns at the door.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2019, 04:09:03 PM »
I get one channel through my digital tuner and it's a Hispanic version of QVC. I haven't DL'd something in years. Can't be bothered  :lol

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2019, 06:27:37 AM »
I think overall I enjoyed the second season more than the first...........but this second season started quite poorly, which may have hit rating, the first two episodes in particular were mostly dead air.  I hope it gets renewed, if not isn't this the sort of show a Netflix/Amazon might pick up.  I get the feeling the international figures for this show are probably quite healthy.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #365 on: May 11, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
Awesome! A really great show.

Sadly and not so sadly we live at a time with like 70,000 shows going on at once. It's no wonder rating for most shows aren't what they used to be. There's just too many shows to watch. Too many options. People are losing cable and watching these shows later on Hulu or something. They need a new way to measure how good a show is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »
This makes me happy!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2019, 10:57:00 PM »
Cool.  I look forward to the direction that Season 3 will take.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2019, 04:00:27 PM »
great news about the renewal!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #369 on: May 13, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »
however it's going to be another Midseason premiere which sucks.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/fox-fall-2019-20-schedule-upfronts-new-shows-empire-the-masked-singer-the-orville-last-man-standing-1202613344/

Once again returning in midseason is Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi comedy-drama The Orville, which takes longer to produce.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 13, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »
At least it's returning!  Love the show and you can definitely see Brannon Braga's hand in the show.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #371 on: July 20, 2019, 05:33:41 PM »
bump.

moving to Hulu exclusively for Season 3

https://twitter.com/TheOrville/status/1152707002658770944

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #372 on: July 20, 2019, 07:36:53 PM »
Wow, the response is pretty much unanimously against.  Hulu folks are just sitting quiet right now ha ha.

But yeah this sucks.  No Hulu, no Orville I guess. :(

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #373 on: July 21, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »
But yeah this sucks.  No Hulu, no Orville I guess. :(
Dude, this is the 21st century.  :lol

Don't much care, to be honest. I made it through about half of the second season and just wasn't into it at all. Hell, I stopped on a cliffhanger episode and don't even care enough to find out what happens. Maybe when every episode stops being about Isaac and Fucking Claire it'll turn around, but I'm just not interested enough to wait it out.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #374 on: July 21, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
I know.  Many people pick and choose their content and/or services and/or providers and save a lot of money doing it that way, and still get to see what they want to see.  But I'm too lazy to do that.  Someday I might overcome that; it might even be The Orville that pushes me.  The future is yet unwritten.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #375 on: July 21, 2019, 11:12:41 PM »
Being on Hulu exclusively doesn't look good, imo. Perhaps this third season will be the last.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #376 on: July 22, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »
Essentially, Seth couldn't deliver for even a midseason start. That led to the Hulu move.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/seth-macfarlanes-orville-moving-hulu-season-3-1225865

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face

Offline jammindude

« Reply #378 on: July 23, 2019, 08:32:48 AM »
Well, this won't get awkward on set at all.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/adrianne-palicki-files-divorce-apos-053825642.html

In spite of that news, the article said they were hanging out at Comicon.

Seems that nowadays, the divorce is sometimes just as nonchalant as the marriage.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #379 on: July 23, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »
Kids these days

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #380 on: July 24, 2019, 04:11:12 AM »
Well the part of the story of the Orville is a divorced couple being able to work together, so....

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #381 on: July 24, 2019, 11:24:31 AM »
Ha ha, good point!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #382 on: July 30, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
it's not that weird; Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco were dating for awhile, may have even been engaged, but then broke up and both were on The Big Bang Theory, and remained friends for many years.

James Roday and Maggie Lawson as well, although I think things were kind of weird during the last season of Psych, but as far as what they've said publicly, they are friends and have managed to work together on 2 movies.

I suppose the alternative is per The Orville, MacFarlane was dating Halston Sage and then the 2 broke up and she ended up leaving the show (or now just making guest appearances?)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:39:46 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #383 on: August 11, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
So, according to Halston, she didn't ask to leave nor was she asked. They just did it.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/why-halston-sage-left-the-orville-and-what-shes-doing-next.html/

Halston Sage did what ‘The Orville’ writers asked

Fox never issued a clear reason for writing Alara Kitan off The Orville and bringing on a brand new Xelayan. Halston Sage wasn’t entirely clear either but had good spirits about the whole thing.

“I completely trust our writers and producers,” Sage said. “I think everything happens for a reason.”

So, did she choose to leave the show or did they ask her to?

“It wasn’t about a choice,” Sage said. “It was what was best for the show at the time.”

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #384 on: August 11, 2019, 08:05:58 PM »
That whole deal with Halston Sage leaving the show seemed weird, at the time and now.  It just happened, and we never heard a reason, either from the showrunners or anyone "inside".  Very odd.

I liked Alara and thought the character had potential, so "what was best for the show at the time" meaning her character being written off is obviously a matter of opinion.  I like Talla too, though, and I probably won't be watching the show anymore anyway, so whatever.