Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48626 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »
As someone who is not a Star Trek fan (the only Star Trek I have watched has been most of the movies and the Voyager TV series -- primarily because my wife is a big fan of ST:TNG, and Voyager started not long after we moved in together).  I started watching The Orville because it was billed as a parody, but it hasn't lived up to that.  It's more of a tribute or spin-off without the name or any official connection to Star Trek and with a few zany one-liners thrown in here and there.  When I was watching the astrology planet episode, my wife was nearby and said it was a ripoff of a TNG episode.  I have no idea if that's true, but it certainly seemed like something that could have been done.  I like Alara and was bummed to see her go.  If this show doesn't up the funny, it's going to lose me.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #316 on: January 28, 2019, 02:14:10 PM »
I see no reason to think this was meant to be the biggest episode of the season. Feels like it's just one of many more serious episode. Last season had a good number of them, I see no reason this will be different.

Also agree with your thoughts on new girl. Better character, way worse actress. That voice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #317 on: January 28, 2019, 03:18:10 PM »
Did anybody else notice that the music was pulled from TWoK? I don't see anything that would connect the two, so I suppose it's just a coincidence. Still, very similar.

As someone who is not a Star Trek fan (the only Star Trek I have watched has been most of the movies and the Voyager TV series -- primarily because my wife is a big fan of ST:TNG, and Voyager started not long after we moved in together).  I started watching The Orville because it was billed as a parody, but it hasn't lived up to that.  It's more of a tribute or spin-off without the name or any official connection to Star Trek and with a few zany one-liners thrown in here and there.  When I was watching the astrology planet episode, my wife was nearby and said it was a ripoff of a TNG episode.  I have no idea if that's true, but it certainly seemed like something that could have been done.  I like Alara and was bummed to see her go.  If this show doesn't up the funny, it's going to lose me.
Crew meets cool aliens and get along swell until an irrational quirk turns them into vicious bastards is a pretty common Star Trek theme. Backwards-ass civilizations are ST's bread and butter. A modern civilization routed in astrology is, surprisingly, a new one. Like I said before, good idea. I'm surprised nobody else did it. So I don't know if it's a ripoff, but it was a new twist on an old theme.

That's pretty much Seth's MO. Take ideas from earlier STs and merge them or combine them with new elements, and honestly he's done very well with that. The two best episodes from the first season were both perfect examples. If the Stars Should Appear was lifted mostly from For the World is Hollow, and threw in elements from Relics (the Dyson Sphere) and The Chase (recorded message telling the people who and what they are). You've also got the leader of the planet being also the chief defender of the faith, a common sci-fi trope.

Mad Idolatry is an even better example, because it took existing ST ideas and let them move into something new. The super fast planet was from a [very good] VOY episode. Crew gets to watch a planet evolve in time-lapse. Corruption of planetary development happens a lot. Star Trek would have been pretty boring without it. In this case it reminded me of Who Watches the Watchers. Combining the two so that we see the corruption evolve with the planet over centuries was a damn good idea. Again, I'm surprised nobody thought to do it before.

The biggest problem with the show is Seth finding a balance between the comedy and the sci-fi drama. He's never really gotten it right, and it's debatable as to whether or not it's even possible. From where I stand, I'm not a big fan of his comedy. He swings for the fences and mostly strikes out. And then every once in a while he hit's a Jose Conseco style moonshot that has me ROTFLMAO. He has demonstrated a real knack for the sci-fi part, though. He's capable of doing Star Trek every bit as well as the Star Trek people were. That's what I'm wanting to see from the guy. Particularly since the actual Star Trek people don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in doing actual Star Trek.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #318 on: January 28, 2019, 05:05:28 PM »
Not just inspired by old Trek, but also a bit of Twilight Zone thrown in too. Just the way I like it. :biggrin:

My dad caught last week's episode on TV, but didn't like it much because he expected more parody/comedy. He probably would have enjoyed the earlier episodes more. It's feeling more straight up scifi this season, with not a lot of comedy, which I'm perfectly fine with, I just hope it doesn't lose appeal for the casual viewer and get cancelled.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2019, 10:15:04 PM »
This episode absolutely blew.

1)  The ENTIRE bridge crew/senior staff goes to the planet?

2)  Star Trek's rule was "no first contact until a civilization is warp-capable" but here it's like "oh, we heard your radio, time to show you everything".  Come on.  Can you imagine if we were visited way back when radio was just powerful enough to get out far enough?

3)  Both parties should have a "here's our beliefs and rules and stuff" handbook to give to each other to avoid what happened, and even if something *still* happened, the "offended" people should be smart enough (they made radios so they is super cereal smart) to understand that it's an honest mistake and not go apeshit about it.  Maybe this is what happens when you make first contact WAY too early.

4)  So instead of just going in and taking back their people, an act that will be forgotten soon enough, they fuck with the ENTIRE PLANET and their clearly fanatical belief system?  Did they present this plan to Ted Danson or just said "fuck it"?

5)  I hate Bortus but I thought he had some good lines.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #320 on: January 29, 2019, 02:03:54 AM »

4)  So instead of just going in and taking back their people, an act that will be forgotten soon enough, they fuck with the ENTIRE PLANET and their clearly fanatical belief system?  Did they present this plan to Ted Danson or just said "fuck it"?

Remember the cloaking technology the Orville shuttles had last season?  I'm pretty sure the writers don't!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #321 on: January 29, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »
2)  Star Trek's rule was "no first contact until a civilization is warp-capable" but here it's like "oh, we heard your radio, time to show you everything".  Come on.  Can you imagine if we were visited way back when radio was just powerful enough to get out far enough?
They kind of did make first contact look like a giant, galactic scavenger hunt. I've got no problem with them separating themselves from the Federation and SFC; different rules are encouraged, AFAIC. That one just seemed kind of odd.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #322 on: January 29, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »
I didn't think it was that odd, but I do agree that the Union seems a bit naive compared to the Federation.  I thought the whole point was that they were all excited about making first contact, the new people seemed really cool and just like us (no prosthetics, just some shiny silver spots on their faces), and everything was going really well.  Of course there has to be some "dark secret" or something that makes them turn out to be poor candidates for joining, but live and learn.

The Union seems to be like a younger version of the Federation.  They haven't figured a lot of this stuff out yet, and being fooled by a good first impression is something we've all done before.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2019, 09:50:16 AM »
This episode was probably one of their best yet, in terms of comedy.

Offline Adami

« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
This episode was probably one of their best yet, in terms of comedy.

It wasn't bad. Pretty light overall. The comedy was mostly good though.

Nice seeing Norm McDonald in the flesh, and also using the robot guy without his costume was cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »
I gotta admit, I started getting a little weirded out by Dr. Finn pursuing a relationship with Isaac, but they did explain it well, they've been laying the groundwork for a while, and it does make sense.  Hell, there are guys in love with their blow-up dolls or babes on the Internet that they've never even met.  Isaac is good to her, helps her with the boys, and in general has been a very good friend to her.  He noticed when she changed her hair a little.  The parallels to the TNG episode "In Theory" are obvious, and much of the rationale is the same.

Except the stakes are higher.  Data's one-episode relationship with a guest star we'll never see again (which saddened me because Michele Scarabelli was cute) is not the same as two regular cast members hooking up.  Dr. Finn is an intelligent, career- and family-driven woman who's a bit lonely.  Heck, she hooked up with Yaphit last season.  But what the hell.  I got over the weirdness by the end.  If two people want to hook up, and they're okay with it, then it's not my place to judge.

Also, I think it mostly worked because of Penny Johnson's acting chops.  She sold it.  When Isaac announced that the experiment was over and he had no more data to collect, and she said "So... you've gotten what you want from me and now you're done with me?" and it was exactly the same hurt, unbelieving tone you'd hear from any other female in that situation, suddenly I got it.  Holy shit, are all guys, even artificial ones, that bad?  It was real to her.  That's all that matters.

Offline Adami

« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2019, 11:50:59 AM »
Very good points.

Also Issac in her quarters in a wife beater and briefs. Classic stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
That scene was killing me!  LaMarr must've given him a whole list of "bad" things to say because he was pulling them all out.  "Since I am incapable of stuttering, I must conclude that you heard me."  Doesn't look like she needs any more desserts... Are you on your period?  Oh man.

Also that early scene where LaMarr and Malloy were literally racing to the bridge to break the latest gossip was great.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2019, 09:50:03 AM »
Still digging this show.  I think it's actually getting better.  The last two have taken storylines that I kinda thought we gonna suck and turned them into real thinkers.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2019, 02:43:26 AM »
I just about get what they’re trying to do (metaphors for homophobia and transphobia etc.) — but the show constantly shows the same-sex culture as unnatural, wrong and generally screwed-up. And so far the Moclans (and no other race) have been been shown as sex addicts, attempted murderers, bigots, mutilators of babies, generally miserable in marriage, and practitioners of bizzare, barbaric cultural rituals.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #330 on: February 19, 2019, 08:13:39 AM »
I just about get what they’re trying to do (metaphors for homophobia and transphobia etc.) — but the show constantly shows the same-sex culture as unnatural, wrong and generally screwed-up. And so far the Moclans (and no other race) have been been shown as sex addicts, attempted murderers, bigots, mutilators of babies, generally miserable in marriage, and practitioners of bizzare, barbaric cultural rituals.
In other words. . . normal.
E.F. Benson

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #331 on: February 19, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Yeah, the Moclans have been used as the metaphorical bad guys a disproportionate amount, especially since the show hasn't been on that long.

Their closest parallel race, the Klingons (especially TNG Klingons) had some things about their culture that threw us for a loop, but we got it over the course of several years.  They were the main "getting to know you" race for TNG, much as the Vulcans were for TOS, so it made sense that we'd uncover a few unpleasantries, but at this point the Moclans are being presented as so far away from Union (i.e., Human) ideals that I'm not sure why we're still associated with them.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #332 on: February 22, 2019, 01:22:58 AM »
Did the Orville just have it's 'Best of Both Worlds' moment?  That was outstanding......after a second season that has generally been bland, where did this episode come from?  I really hope they nail the second half next week.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #333 on: February 22, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Did the Orville just have it's 'Best of Both Worlds' moment?  That was outstanding......after a second season that has generally been bland, where did this episode come from?  I really hope they nail the second half next week.
Which interestingly TNG failed to do.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #334 on: February 22, 2019, 08:06:17 PM »
Great episode. Very interested to see how it’s resolved.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2019, 02:49:22 AM »
Isaac will be influenced by his humanity to save the day, wiping out his entire race in the process leaving him the last of his kind and super special.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2019, 11:58:03 AM »
This sucks.   ALL the episodes have always been On Demand the very next day.......until now.    WHY????   >:( >:( >:( :censored :censored :censored
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #337 on: February 23, 2019, 12:17:57 PM »
Isaac will be influenced by his humanity to save the day, wiping out his entire race in the process leaving him the last of his kind and super special.

That seems the obvious way. So I hope they do something different. Who knows? As long as it's well done.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: February 23, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »
Either way I'm happy to see them do a bigger two part story, and who knows what we'll get in part 2.

Offline Adami

« Reply #339 on: February 23, 2019, 12:37:37 PM »
Either way I'm happy to see them do a bigger two part story, and who knows what we'll get in part 2.

They tend to be pretty self-aware, and I'm sure they know how obvious of a conclusion that would be, so I hope that use that knowledge to their advantage.

Maybe have Yaphit's people come and kill all the robots. That would be out of left field.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2019, 09:25:29 PM »

They tend to be pretty self-aware, and I'm sure they know how obvious of a conclusion that would be, so I hope that use that knowledge to their advantage.

Maybe have Yaphit's people come and kill all the robots. That would be out of left field.

But *IF* Isaac is going to come back to being a member of the crew, he has to have a redemption angle to his storyline.   If some other race sweeps in an leaves Isaac alone, we don't get that. 

Isaac having a change of heart may be a bit predictable, but if it were well written (as the show appears to be so far) I wouldn't really have a problem with it. 

Now, having Isaac's race suffer a defeat without being completely wiped out and making Isaac a permanent villain/enemy....that might be a bit more daring.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: February 24, 2019, 12:27:16 AM »
It seems possible/likely that when Isaac was reactivated, they did some other tweaking in his head, so they could redeem him without him saving the day, although it would still be the most likely choice here to keep him as main cast. I don't see them dropping another character this soon after replacing another, so I don't think they'll do anything too drastic here, like turn him bad guy.
I don't mind them going with the obvious choice here, as long as it's a good episode.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #342 on: February 24, 2019, 07:57:46 AM »
As long as Isaac has strife.   I think that would show a bit of humanity.  Sort of in the mold of Data.  Not sure if we will see that but I loved that this was so left field.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2019, 05:43:28 AM »
I hope for more than Claire and/or her Sons just talking Isaac down using the 'power of love'.  Based on the first episode things should have in reality have gone to far to just have a reset at the end of part 2.

On a side note.  What are the chances of this show getting a 3rd season (and more hopefully) at the minute?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2019, 06:19:16 AM »
Why would a race of AIs need so many bodies to inhabit that they've overpopulated an entire planet? And why go against other species when they don't need their planet to have oxygen, etc? Don't see the logic in that, so hopefully, they avoid a cheesy and a deus-ex type of resolution.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »
I don't mind them going with the obvious choice here, as long as it's a good episode.
Indeed, and it'd be the obvious choice because they (appear to) have been setting it up over a run of episodes, and so if done well it'd be nice storytelling. I'm all for plot twists but I'd be less keen on a deus ex machina resolution.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
Why didn't they just disable all ships like they did with the Orville? The episode was really lame

Offline Adami

« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »
Don’t know if I’ll be alone in this, but I thought it was a great episode.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #348 on: March 03, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
Thankfully, I can watch a show and not spend my whole time looking for stupid things so I can make a YouTube video saying everything that is wrong with whatever in under 15 minutes. I just enjoy it.

With that said, I greatly enjoyed the Identity 2 parter. Not too surprising considering it was written by Brannon Braga who was a showrunner on 2 Trek shows and co-wrote First Contact, TNG's best movie.

With Braga and Joe Menosky on the production staff you can really see the Trek stuff coming through. Not to mention that many of the directors have been Trek actors/directors.

They have moved the needle much closer to the Trek side and really reduced the MacFarlane humor. Even though I have no problem with that, it seems people want more of the humor and less of the Trek. It's a slippery slope for them.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #349 on: March 04, 2019, 01:45:48 AM »
It was an OK second part, but this was The Orville's first chance to really set itself apart from TNG and not just go for the big old obvious reset button.   It was really predictable where this was going as soon as the Prime started questioning Issac's alliance.   Still we got an decent battle out of it.

Talla is a much better character than Alana was in my opinion, while J. Lee (LaMarr) remains the worst actor I've seen on a TV for a good while.