Author Topic: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.  (Read 48926 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Orville (Star Trek parody) looks better than the new Star Trek.
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
Did anybody notice that Jason Alexander was the bartender? I didn't.

I saw him in the cast list. Then like near the end of the episode I put it together.

I knew the voice sounded familiar, but I didn't even connect it til later.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »
Another dud episode. It was painful to watch how they dragged this 10-minute idea into a full-blown episode.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:13 PM »
Dr. Phlox makes a wonderful psychopath. I liked him when he was just a crazy fuck. Once he personalized his outrage with a backstory, not so much. Shame, because they kind of had a decent Cape Fear thing working, and Billingsly could have been a good Caddy.

So apparently the producer/star of the show bangs one of the principle actresses so they replace her with a carbon copy. That makes no sense to me, and I can't really see it anything other than a very bad sign. The episode was pretty bad on a variety of levels, and it significantly altered the future of the show. Not at all what I was hoping for two begin the new season.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2019, 10:55:58 PM »
It was an interesting episode.  No B-story, it was all about Alara going home, apparently to stay.  Too bad.  She was cute.

It didn't occur to me until someone pointed it out later that the psycho guy and Alara's dad were two former Star Trek doctors.  Whoosh!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:20 PM »
I really "hate" it when TV shows have known or famous cameos as that is always a dead giveaway that they are going to be the main antagonist in some way. But at the same time, it was fun as a short nostalgia trip.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #285 on: January 14, 2019, 06:43:23 AM »
I count myself fortunate because I tend not to watch TV that way.  I'll watch the story unfold, and make predictions about what will happen, who's guilty or innocent or whatever, but only because I'm "into the story" and like to test myself, so if I'm right.

My wife will say things like "It's the assistant, who was jealous and killed her because blah blah blah..." and I'll ask how she's so sure.  "Because the assistant is <some actress> and you don't cast <some actress> as the assistant of some random murder victim unless they're the one who did it."  Yep, I recognized her, thought it was cool that she's on the show; it never occurred to me that she was cast any particular way.  Recognizing a particular guest star and then figuring out how that must affect the plot seems something like spoiling the story for yourself.  Can't be helped I guess, if your brain works like that, which is why I said I'm glad mine doesn't.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »
It was an interesting episode.  No B-story, it was all about Alara going home, apparently to stay.  Too bad.  She was cute.

It didn't occur to me until someone pointed it out later that the psycho guy and Alara's dad were two former Star Trek doctors.  Whoosh!
She was replaceable enough. Halston Sage was prettier IRL, but the new girl wears the makeup better.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2019, 08:49:15 AM »
I really liked the episode.

But wait, is that really who's replacing her? And why? Really? I am totally out of the loop for behind the scenes drama.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:09 AM »
I really liked the episode.

But wait, is that really who's replacing her? And why? Really? I am totally out of the loop for behind the scenes drama.
Not sure if that's a real cast photo or not, but it's the girl who's replacing her in the appropriate makeup and uniform. And the why is because she's "pursuing other interests," but one of those interests is apparently dating MacFarlane, which almost certainly factors into it.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:51 AM »
That's what makes it even weirder, and part of why no one can figure out WTF is going on.  If someone's dating the show's creator and main star, that would usually mean their spot on the show is pretty much guaranteed if they want it.  Perhaps she doesn't want it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2019, 01:46:28 PM »
The good news is that I always thought she was one of the weaker characters. It'd be nice if the new gal went the totally opposite direction and was super-confident about being a badass. If she's just a like-for-like replacement I'll be really annoyed. Though honestly, I'm already getting a pretty bad feeling about this show.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #291 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:24 PM »
Seems kinda lazy to just swap in another identical character. Having someone else of the same race swap in diminishes Alara's individual skills and basically says she only got the job because of which planet she comes from.
Also, it seems like the easy route to not rewrite any of the scripts they had, which is another shame, because Alara was always a pretty poorly written female character, spending all of her time moaning about how men were threatened by how strong she was.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #292 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Honestly....this sounds like a TNG Krusher/Polaski nod to me.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 14, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
They should have killed off Alara with a tar monster and done a nod to Tasha Yar.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
Fox has confirmed that Halston Sage is out, but doesn't mention a reason why.

'The Orville': FOX Confirms Halston Sage's Exit

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #295 on: January 17, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
Fox has confirmed that Halston Sage is out, but doesn't mention a reason why.

'The Orville': FOX Confirms Halston Sage's Exit
Apparently plenty of people a lot nerdier than us knew all about this way back in June. I saw a video last night of one guy predicting it right down to the plot of the episode. Nobody knows why, but the speculation has always been related to her and MacFarlane's off again on again relationship.  I think the important thing will be how they work the new identical character. If she has the same zero-confidence personality then it'll be a very bad omen for how the show is run. If she's a Pulaski to HS's Crusher it'll be alright. I also think SM is begging for a lawsuit here. Everybody knows you don't bang your subordinates.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #296 on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Most shows, the first episode of the new season would include a remark or two about the previous character getting a big opportunity and suddenly moving to Arizona or something, and at the same time a new character would be introduced along with a similarly flimsy backstory, and we accept it and move on.  I think it speaks well of the actress that she was willing to do the first couple of episodes of a new season, so they could include a proper "farewell" storyline, when she knew she was leaving the show.  But she probably knows that this is the better career move (as opposed to refusing to cooperate and leaving them hanging and thus causing bad blood (which never helps)).  And if this change was known so far in advance, then there's more to it than we less-nerdy people are aware of.

I prefer the Crusher-Pulaski type of switch.  You have a new character in that position; give them their own personality and style, not a carbon copy of the previous character.  The fact that the new Security Officer is also Xelayan and rather young-looking doesn't make me very optimistic, but I guess we'll find out tonight.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #297 on: January 17, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
Most shows, the first episode of the new season would include a remark or two about the previous character getting a big opportunity and suddenly moving to Arizona or something, and at the same time a new character would be introduced along with a similarly flimsy backstory, and we accept it and move on.  I think it speaks well of the actress that she was willing to do the first couple of episodes of a new season, so they could include a proper "farewell" storyline, when she knew she was leaving the show.  But she probably knows that this is the better career move (as opposed to refusing to cooperate and leaving them hanging and thus causing bad blood (which never helps)).  And if this change was known so far in advance, then there's more to it than we less-nerdy people are aware of.

I prefer the Crusher-Pulaski type of switch.  You have a new character in that position; give them their own personality and style, not a carbon copy of the previous character.  The fact that the new Security Officer is also Xelayan and rather young-looking doesn't make me very optimistic, but I guess we'll find out tonight.
She looks tougher, though. I don't mind her looking the same if the character is better. Being tough and self-assured would be a huge improvement over Alara.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
True.  But presumably the idea was that Alara would start that way, but gradually gain more self-confidence as time went on, and eventually we wouldn't worry about that aspect of her personality because it would be gone.  Trek has a pretty spotty record when it comes to character evolution; some characters truly grew and changed over time, but most were basically the same person (with the same flaws) after seven seasons.  7 of 9 changed a lot, meanwhile somehow Ensign Kim was still Ensign Kim the greenhorn virgin loser he always was, seven years later.

But at least they didn't just have Worf Bortus take over as Chief Security Officer when Yar Alara was written out.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #299 on: January 17, 2019, 03:56:16 PM »
True.  But presumably the idea was that Alara would start that way, but gradually gain more self-confidence as time went on, and eventually we wouldn't worry about that aspect of her personality because it would be gone.  Trek has a pretty spotty record when it comes to character evolution; some characters truly grew and changed over time, but most were basically the same person (with the same flaws) after seven seasons.  7 of 9 changed a lot, meanwhile somehow Ensign Kim was still Ensign Kim the greenhorn virgin loser he always was, seven years later.

But at least they didn't just have Worf Bortus take over as Chief Security Officer when Yar Alara was written out.
At least that would have given him something to do. Second officer isn't really a fulltime job. But then apparently neither is security chief insofar as the Orville goes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
But that's always been true of Star Trek shows, and since The Orville is modeled after Star Trek, it makes sense.  How many episodes have we seen that start with the crew hanging out in the mess hall or the lounge or the holodeck before being summoned to the bridge?  Aren't bridge officers supposed to be there anyway?  It seems like most jobs on any starship are just part-time jobs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
But that's always been true of Star Trek shows, and since The Orville is modeled after Star Trek, it makes sense.  How many episodes have we seen that start with the crew hanging out in the mess hall or the lounge or the holodeck before being summoned to the bridge?  Aren't bridge officers supposed to be there anyway?  It seems like most jobs on any starship are just part-time jobs.
What I was getting at was that neither of them actually have anything to do even when they are working. Data was the second officer but he worked at ops. Worf was CoS plus weapons officer. Nobody ever seems to tell Bortus to do anything, and I honestly have no idea who fires the weapons, except that it wasn't Alara.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »
I'm one of the nerds that knew Halston was possibly out. I had heard that she had signed on to star in a movie and the pushed back start of Orville clashed with that so she would end up being absent a good part of the season. If I understand it, she went to film the movie after she left.

It also didn't look like an acrimonious split by any means, at least to me. You don't give the boat rocker a major standalone episode with a huge goodbye like that. I have seen it that they have left the door open for guest starring spots so I have a feeling we will see her again.

Based on episode notes, I don't think the new girl is showing until next week so we may get another week of Patrick Warburton and his 2 esophagi.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2019, 06:57:41 PM »
I was hoping that Lt. Puddy was going to inexplicably turn out to be a total badass. Maybe he'll still get the chance.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2019, 10:43:39 PM »
I wouldn't want Puddy to be permanent, because the balance of male to female characters was already off, especially now that new girl turned out to be Krill. That turn might have been more obvious if I paid attention to the casting. :lol
This would be my favourite episode of the season so far. Very Trek, not a lot of comedy this season though. But the last Krill episode was hurt by far too much comedy, so I'll take it. Let's face it though, a Krill/alien couldn't pass for human for very long, not in a position that close.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:49 AM »
I wouldn't want Puddy to be permanent, because the balance of male to female characters was already off, especially now that new girl turned out to be Krill. That turn might have been more obvious if I paid attention to the casting. :lol
This would be my favourite episode of the season so far. Very Trek, not a lot of comedy this season though. But the last Krill episode was hurt by far too much comedy, so I'll take it. Let's face it though, a Krill/alien couldn't pass for human for very long, not in a position that close.

Very Star Trek Discovery!

Ash Tyler is a Klingon genetically altered to look Human.
Jamel Tyler is a Krill generally altered to look Human.

The surname must have been a hint, can't have been a coincidence can it?
Good episode though - bit worried after the first two episode which were a bit dull.  The last two episodes have been much better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: January 18, 2019, 01:31:14 AM »

Very Star Trek Discovery!!

Ash Tyler is a Klingon genetically altered to look Human.
Jamel Tyler is a Krill generally altered to look Human.

Real Star Trek was doing that storyline long before that.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #307 on: January 18, 2019, 01:52:04 AM »
Well true - it's a bit of a Sci Fi staple.  The surname made me wonder though.

Watched the first episode the second season of Discovery this morning.  I liked it.  Seems like they've gone for a lighter tone this time.   Pike seemed like a really good addition too.  Very early days but I'm hoping both The Orville and Discovery have good second seasons and find their groove (as you said The Orville seems to have toned down the comedy this season - which for me is an improvement.)

Or alternatively they'll both get cancelled as they start getting better.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:11:11 AM by soupytwist »

Online Adami

« Reply #308 on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:07 PM »
Very good episode, I think. The most TNG episode thus far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #309 on: January 18, 2019, 07:43:53 PM »
Someone had noted that the actress playing Lt. Tyler was the same who played Teleya in that episode last season, but I didn't think much of it, since it's a Trek thing to re-use and re-cast guest actors.  And I'd actually forgotten about it.  Now we know why.

Pretty good episode.  I bought it, pretty much all of it.  Her persona as Tyler, her reasons for doing what she did, and the moments of doubt that Mercer managed to provoke.  His attack on religion wasn't as vehement or obnoxious as it could have been, and that's good.  It was more of a "Okay, but do you even think about this stuff, or do you literally just do it?" than outright condemning.  Even the ending played well, because it's still ambiguous.  Did he plant the seeds of some future relations between Krill and Union, or was she right when she said it wouldn't change a thing?  That the Krill believe in manifest destiny and they've heard the some arguments from other species they've wiped out, including some much more advanced than the Union and the puny humans who run it?

Malloy's side story was funny enough.  I'm not a huge fan of the character, but it was okay.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
Pro-tip: When somebody tells you that as soon as you're done lugging around a heavy object they're going to kill you, stop carrying the heavy object!
Pro-tip: When your captor and tormentor says "yeah, those guys are dicks. They want to kill me." the next words out of your mouth should be "SHE'S HIDING IN THE BUSHES!"

Also, Krill is Krikkit.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #311 on: January 28, 2019, 05:09:00 AM »
After two good ones, episode 5 happened.....yeah that one stunk.   Enjoyed the crews excitement at first contact, but then it fell of a cliff.   In fact it turned into a rather forgetable Star Trek episode (and more than a whiff of 'Justice') - Crew held hostage by hard-headed aliens of the week complete with preposterous customs, repetitive dialogue, a meaningless action sequence, nonsensical starfleet (or whatever) rules, and a neat little technobabble solution that ties everything up in the last couple of minutes.   Also I complained the first season had to much comedy at all, this episode is played way to straight though, oh and the new security officer was OK I guess

Online Adami

« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2019, 05:21:48 AM »
New security officer is meh.

I rather liked the episode though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
I really liked the new actress and her character, much more than the one that left.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #314 on: January 28, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »
The problem is that was likely intended to be a standout episode. I think that was their effort to put out a big one and it was pretty meh. As I was hoping, Alara 2 is the tough and self-assured type, which is good. But her voice, though. As for the episode, it was pretty generic, although the astrology thing was a unique variant. I'm surprised that's never come up before. It's a good idea. The contrived resolution was just terrible, though. "Look, a new star! Everybody stand perfectly still until we figure out what this means!"

Maybe I'm wrong and next week is their best episode ever, but it sure seems to me that this season has been a step backward when they were desperately needing a step forward.

I really liked the new actress and her character, much more than the one that left.
I like the new character much more. I preferred the old actress.
E.F. Benson