Author Topic: The Keepers (Netflix Documentary)  (Read 2169 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The Keepers (Netflix Documentary)
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
Has anyone else checked out this series on Netflix? It's about the 1969 disappearance and murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik, a nun and teacher at an all-girls Catholic school.

The series becomes less about her murder and more about the abuse scandals that went on. It's very sad and intriguing, and sadly to me, not that shocking that some of this stuff occurred. It's just sad to watch unfold and the impact on the lives of those it happened to.

Very good documentary. It's 7 parts and I finished it in a day.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: The Keepers (Netflix Documentary)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »
I was tempted to watch it last weekend, but watched something else. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend...after Bloodline of course.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:07:11 AM »
I watched two episodes at the weekend, and then 5 episodes in a row on Monday night.

Really shocking, and actually pretty scary how much influence the Archdiocese had in that area, to sweep the whole thing under the carpet.

The state's attorney had me shouting at the TV. How many victims came forward, and still she wouldn't do anything to prosecute the people involved??

Not to spoil anything, but there was no real resolution at the end of the show. I don't think they succeeded in making a connection between Maskell and that guy Billy who lived in the same apartment block. That was the missing link for me.

I think the business with the necklace and the other guy Ed was a bit of a dead end. He just came across to me as a crazy that maybe wanted his 15 minutes of fame by phoning in to that radio show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:05 AM »
It's disgraceful how much they get away with because of who they are. Disgusting.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
Looks interesting. I will check it out

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »
Sadly, one only needs to watch the movie 'Spotlight', to know that it isn't (wasn't) just Baltimore.

Or, throughout the world

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_sex_abuse_cases_by_country

An online article posted just an hour ago about the upcoming school closing.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/features/retro-baltimore/catherine-cesnik/bs-md-keough-final-days-20170523-story.html

The documentary lost its way a few times, but was more than a worthwhile watch (other than the annoying piano and violin).
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »
The documentary lost its way a few times, but was more than a worthwhile watch (other than the annoying piano and violin).
I think I know what you mean by this. I felt like episodes 3-5 kinda felt like different shows and all of a sudden, it goes back to the crime and talking about suspects. Although, I kind of felt like the Koob storyline was random and how he was a suspect all of a sudden.
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
Although, I kind of felt like the Koob storyline was random and how he was a suspect all of a sudden.

Yes, this was weird when they circled back to him. I'm not sure what they were trying to say. Were they trying to make out that Gerry knew more than he was letting on? It seems that he and Sister Cathy were a lot closer than originally thought. Would she not have confided in him if she found out about the abuse?

Maybe that's what they were trying to suggest.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
If I remember, they were saying how Koob and McKeon had different stories about arriving at Phillips and Cesnik's apartment the night of her disappearance. Cesnik's family was suspicious of Koob, but they were of everyone involved with her. Then the newspaper guy that kind of acts as a narrator for the show was suspicious of him too.

I just think they were trying to get different perspectives of possible suspects besides the priests and Edgar Davidson and Billy Schmidt. It just seemed really random
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
Would be interesting to find out if there is a connection between the murder of the nun Cathy Cesnik and the other young lady that was murdered named Joyce Malecki.  In the last episode it was stated that Joyce only lived a couple of blocks from where Maskell lived.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:28:15 PM »
Would be interesting to find out if there is a connection between the murder of the nun Cathy Cesnik and the other young lady that was murdered named Joyce Malecki.  In the last episode it was stated that Joyce only lived a couple of blocks from where Maskell lived.

Yes - that was something else that was mentioned early on, but never fully developed.

I came across this article, which says that they compared DNA evidence from the scene with that of Maskell, and it wasn't a match.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2017/05/30/who-killed-sister-cathy-the-keepers-update-murder/

It would be interesting to see if there was a match with either Billy or Ed.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »
Ok, so now I've watched it twice. It is way better, to me, the second time around and I picked up on a lot of different things. One that is jumping out to me is when Koob is recounting being questioned and mentions that detectives had Cathy's vagina wrapped in newspaper. I don't get it...... what?
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 10:31:26 PM »
One that is jumping out to me is when Koob is recounting being questioned and mentions that detectives had Cathy's vagina wrapped in newspaper. I don't get it...... what?

Yeah that was weird to say the least.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 01:46:48 AM »
One that is jumping out to me is when Koob is recounting being questioned and mentions that detectives had Cathy's vagina wrapped in newspaper. I don't get it...... what?

Yeah that was weird to say the least.

Bizarre. The other really weird thing was the mannequin in the attic wearing the nun's outfit. That's kinda into Norman Bates territory.

I'm not sure we'll ever hear of this case being solved. Too many people taking their secrets to the grave.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »
Sorry to heave up a necro thread, but I'd watched the documentary a few months ago. It's so damn heartbreaking that we'll probably never know what really happened to Sister Cathy and Joyce Malecki, but thank goodness that Gemma and Abbie are still trying to actively backtrack investigate both murders. It was also heartbreaking that so many women had suffered abuse at the hands of the priests at Keough, and that Sister Russell is no longer alive (I think that she knew more than she told, same with Koob). I had to have a frustrating cry about the whole documentary after binge watching it. As an abuse survivor myself, I felt so much sympathy for the victims in the whole thing and it was so disheartening to watch the response of the D.A. as well. So infuriating.

Overall though, the documentary meandered a bit but it was otherwise very well done. I hope that a follow up to The Keepers is made in the future, if new evidence is brought to light.