Author Topic: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3  (Read 11525 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Leftovers (HBO) - Season 3
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Wow, what an episode. I love the focus on Laurie. This was super heavy, amazing writing as always. I know next episode is going to be crazy and the one I was initially most excited for based off the title alone. Also helps that it's the same guy that directed International Assassin and Lens so I have high hopes.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2017, 10:09:20 AM »
Yeah, that episode was fantastic.

Even though they set the suicide thing up at several points during the episode it still took me by surprise there at the end.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
Just can't express how much it's gonna suck not having this show around. It is THAT good. The writing and acting have been incredible.

The fact that they've concealed the 'end game' thus far with only two episodes left is awesome....at the same time weaving these intricate character driven stories. It's really beautiful
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
Fuck this show, fuck this emotional connection it develops, fuck everything about it....argghhh I can't believe that a TV show actually made me cry, everyone relates to different level and I'm usually very good about just separating fiction from reality but that episode, fucking hell, made me sob at the end.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »
Fuck this show, fuck this emotional connection it develops, fuck everything about it....argghhh I can't believe that a TV show actually made me cry, everyone relates to different level and I'm usually very good about just separating fiction from reality but that episode, fucking hell, made me sob at the end.

With ya man. Nora desperately wanting to see her kids again....her story hits me hard for some reason.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2017, 09:17:19 PM »
This one was all about Kevin's internal conflict and using this "other world" as an escape rather than dealing with the issues that are in front of him. Great stuff and I love how exaggerated this show can be

Online faizoff

« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2017, 11:15:06 PM »
That episode had a ton of things going and on so many levels too. I'm going to have to watch it again to fully process it, whatever it was, it was fantastic and compelling as usual.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: May 29, 2017, 12:40:59 PM »
My god this show is amazing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »
The only possible way the finale can disappoint me would be if Kevin and Nora walk into a Church at the end only to be standing there with Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Siad.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2017, 12:22:02 AM »
Also, since we didn't see Laurie at all in the afterplace, do you think it means that she's not dead? I feel it's either that, or it means that it's all in Kevin's head, and he didn't see her at all because he doesn't know she's dead.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
I'm pretty sure Laurie is dead. I think this other world is kind of a purgatory, so we didn't see Laurie because she seemed to be at peace with her death , and wanted it to happen. Almost like she already moved on, while the people in this world have "unfinished business" like Kevin.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: May 31, 2017, 02:04:19 PM »
Wonder if they'll frame it all up as the people we've been watching for three seasons are actually the ones who vanished?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2017, 01:28:50 AM »
Probably not, it would be a bit obvious I think. Or more like having a twist just for the sake of a twist.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »
Just caught up to the last episode, that was a masterpiece. As some has said, there's some much going on in there that I'm not sure I got all of it, but even so it had about everything and might have been my favorite episode of the whole show. Not sure what's going to happen next, not sure where this is going but it has been an amazingly fun ride.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
I don't expect there to be a big twist or anything. That being said, I'm not sure what will happen but I expect some decent amount of closure.

Online faizoff

« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
Me too, I'm not expecting huge twists as this show doesn't really seem to be geared that way. I think there will be some answers with regards to the departure but not a complete and full explanation of all events. Can't wait for this sunday!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2017, 09:00:35 PM »
So bummed this series is over.

That was a satisfying enough series finale. As we knew, they were t going to go and 'answer' it all but what they did do was good enough for me.

Online faizoff

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
Yup loved it, perfect ending and gave just enough answers to satisfy me. I guess we just don't know exactly why the sudden departure occurred but I'm happy with whatever they showed.

And you know the more I read about other people's thoughts and musings, it just goes to show how perfect of an episode that was. You could interpret Nora's story to be her story, her battle with the loss of her family and whether it was real or not and it would fit in just fine with that interpretation. Man what an amazing season that was. Super bummed there isn't anymore left.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:31:09 PM by faizoff »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
Wonder if they'll frame it all up as the people we've been watching for three seasons are actually the ones who vanished?

With Nora's revelation, this essentially happened. However you explain it....the people we've watched for the last three years vanished for those who they'd thought had vanished.

Very interesting.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2017, 08:53:08 AM »
I had a feeling the series would end with a more low key episode, the second last being the big weird bang, so I thought the finale was very satisfying.

I also like that they didn't show anything that Nora was talking about, so that it could be either true or false. The scene with her getting into the machine was really tense though. Quite scary.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
I also like that they didn't show anything that Nora was talking about, so that it could be either true or false. The scene with her getting into the machine was really tense though. Quite scary.

Absolutely. The entire lead up to her getting into the canister was awesome. Her re-take of her video....her conversation with Matt....her reactions and emotion walking down the runway and when the liquid began to fill....it was all incredible.

And I love the fact that they left it up to us to determine whether or not she was truthful or not. The series largest skeptic 'confirming' that those who left them were in deed 'alive' somewhere else....that's Biblical in itself (Saul becoming Paul)...but the fact that they didn't cut to scenes of her traveling home or seeing her kids all grown was WAY more powerful than if they had.

It'll be neat to re-watch this series in a year or two.

Online faizoff

« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
The episode also somewhat mirrors the walking up to the canister later when she's older and taking a bath in the tub. It echoed her getting into the bubble and curling up and being trapped when she had to force open that door. I think the angles they showed reflected that.
I see a lot of debate online whether she was telling the truth or just made it up and it comes with plenty of excellent support for both sides.

I myself choose to believe that she was telling the truth.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2017, 02:14:15 PM »
The episode also somewhat mirrors the walking up to the canister later when she's older and taking a bath in the tub. It echoed her getting into the bubble and curling up and being trapped when she had to force open that door. I think the angles they showed reflected that.
I see a lot of debate online whether she was telling the truth or just made it up and it comes with plenty of excellent support for both sides.

I myself choose to believe that she was telling the truth.

They've been great at that type of 'hidden' cinematography and connection the entire series. It's one of the aspects I love most about the show....the fact that every scene, the positioning of the characters....their surroundings etc. 'means' something more.

I too believe she was telling the truth.

I'm left curious though about Kevin. The dude survived multiple drownings, a point blank gun shot to the abdomen, lethal poisoning....I mean...he just couldn't die. Did it all just 'end' for him after his final conflict within? Him relenting and allowing himself to love Nora. As has been suggested...was all that 'afterlife' stuff just his own internal struggle and battle? Part of me says it was but part of me still thinks it was a bit more grand than that. Either way...it was very well done.

Online faizoff

« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
I think that's the only part of the show where I wish they told us more. Like you mentioned Kevin has all these crazy things done to him yet he's like a cat and keeps living. Maybe the answers are already there in the episodes and I haven't connected with it. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just Kevin who drowned and choked, etc.. but he was shot at and poisoned as well so to survive both of those I'd have like some more info.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »
I've been on the fence about Nora's truth/lie. Knowing she has a track record of lying throughout the series, I am leaning more towards the conclusion that she lied. At the same time though, she could very well be telling the truth. I guess I'm just having trouble finding the logic in her getting this one guy to build a whole machine just to send her back. Personally, I believe she backed out and got out of the machine (We don't really know if it even works or not, despite the "fossil".) due to fear. I don't necessarily think she was scared of being zapped into this "new place", but she was scared of what she would see. She told Matt before she got into the machine that he could tell people whatever he wanted in terms of what happened to her. I feel like she decided to change her name and live on her own, and Matt covered for her. Not that anyone was probably looking for her (other than Kevin), but she probably wanted to avoid the embarrassment. She was conflicted through the whole series so I think it's definitely plausible she backed out of it. At the end when she told Kevin, I look at that as her telling a story that she wanted to believe in order for her to want to get over her family. Kevin believed her (or he says he did), but I guess whether or not she was telling the truth was not important in that he found her and they were together again. I, too, love the laid back feel of the finale. Episode 7 was incredibly intense and I just felt at peace throughout the finale (though I thought Kevin had alzheimer's or something for a while)

This series was incredible and sits at the top as my favorite show of all time. I've seen some episodes of season 3 several times but I'd love to watch the whole season again without having to wait for the weekly episodes. Season 2 was my favorite and may still be, but I'm not sure. Each season really is so different and I love that. This show even inspired my thesis idea!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
Haven't read any discussion other than here, so I'm not familiar with all the evidence for and against the debated topics. But I have formed opinions about it over the last few days.

Despite really wanting what Nora said to be true, I don't think it was. I feel like if traveling between the different worlds or whatever was possible, that would have been known by now. People would be crossing over left and right if it could be proven by sending people back from the other side.

I do however believe that the place Kevin went to was real, but that it was only relevant to his internal struggles, not anything big like saving the world or being the new Jesus.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2017, 05:06:10 AM »
I agree

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
I agree

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I completely agree with BlackInk's position. I really 'want' Nora's story to be true....for her...and for all the others but it doesn't seem to fit in the vein of the show. We've  seen the lengths she went to to 'feel' and to deal with the loss....I could totally buy into that she simply pulled a Yoda and sentenced herself to a life of isolation and through that reasoned out the story that she told Kevin...to the point that it really is 'true' as far as she's concerned.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »
Pretty much. I've been looking on reddit and other sites and there's a lot of speculation on whether or not she told the truth, so that's pretty cool. Seems to be getting a lot of buzz, and I actually feel like this show will become a bit more popular as time passes.