Author Topic: The Hobby/Project thread  (Read 27053 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Hobby/Project thread
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »

This is to show a sense of scale. The face's diameter will be slightly large than that of the circle in the back.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2020, 01:19:43 PM »
Not only is that an incredibly thoughtful and awesome idea/gift.......it's going to look pretty dang cool   :metal  Can't wait to see the finished product. Nice job Brian  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
Thats a cool idea for your dad, looks like it'll be very a intricate work

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2020, 07:40:24 AM »
Thanks dudes. Here's a better look at the scale of this print.

More parts:

Scale:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2020, 05:55:27 AM »
A bit more progress.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2020, 06:30:35 AM »
This is so cool. I want to be there when you give it to him to see his reaction. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2020, 06:36:42 AM »
I think he's going to dig it. I modified the watch face to include his initials as a bit of a personal touch.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2020, 08:34:12 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »
That’s pretty awesome! I’m sure he will love it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2020, 01:01:33 PM »
So he's got a belt to match his watch  :biggrin:

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
So he's got a belt to match his watch  :biggrin:
Came in here to say that.  :lol

Looks awesome, by the way.  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
Been making good headway on the face. It's been tricky. I haven't tried it yet, but I've read that wiping the sanded areas with baby oil will bring the color back out.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2020, 05:28:49 AM »
Are you painting everything, Chino? I noticed that with the band you managed to make it look like brushed stainless, was that a paint technique? If so, it's quite realistic.

What look are you going for with the faces... also, I'm not tracking what the four different faces are for.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »
The stuff that looks metal is actually all plastic. It's just the type of filament I use that gives it that effect. It's one of my favorite kinds of filament to print with just for that reason.

I'm not really painting the face. The minute markers and the text on the face are recessed a bit. So using a white-out pen, I'm filling those pools with white out and sanding the face smooth once it's dried so everything is flush. It replicates an ivory inlay pretty well.

Those faces will all end up in the trash (though a few of them will make good coasters). The face needs to be the best looking piece of the project, and it's taking a good amount of trial and error and settings tweaking to really get it as good as I want. The faces pictured above are just showing how it's progressively getting better. A lot of people think 3D printing is just hitting a "go" button and waiting for something to finish, but certain things require quite a bit of knowledge and time to really get right. It can be a real pain in the dick sometimes. I printed a fifth face overnight that looked really good upon my initial inspection this morning. Hoping to finish it off tonight and be done with that piece.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:07:47 AM by Chino »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:29 AM »
Got a little further on my latest project.

Custom spacers needed for the clock:

Messing around with glow in the dark filament for the first time:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2020, 11:33:03 AM »
That is so freaking awesome Brian!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
Surprised you had the time to make that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2020, 11:39:55 AM »
Well, that's all amazing and I cannot begin to comprehend the process, but I will say that that is a thoughtful gift for your father.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »
That's pretty sweet!

My hobbies are less involved.  I read/collect books, and I smoke cigars.  I also enjoy kayaking, but I never have time for it, so it doesn't elevate to "hobby" level.

I also enjoy traveling.  I love discovering new places, whether big trips to other states, or just day trips to small towns within driving distance.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2020, 02:05:41 PM »
Thanks fellas.

Pretty much finished the watch. I got the clock mechanism installed last night and all the glowing inlays in place. What a pain in the ass that was. My printer is decent, but when you start trying to print objects that are only 1.5mm X 2mm, things can get funky. I'm pretty happy with the end result, despite some glaring flaws that might not be noticeable in the photos. I prettied up the face a bit too with a black sharpie. All I need now is my 4" acrylic disc to come in. The glass beaker cover I ordered did not satisfy my needs like I hoped it would. The hands are a little smaller than what I wanted. I had to scale them down to 87.5% their original size in order to get everything to properly sit on the movement mechanism. They were small to begin with, so the near 13% reduction isn't really evident, but the hour hand is still kind of bugging me.

I also got my camera feed (pet cam) and remote shutdown (smart plug) set up. Now I can monitor my long prints from anywhere when I'm not home. If something fucks up, I can shut it down remotely instead of finding out when I get home that I've been wasting filament and banging away on the machine for no reason for a couple of hours.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2020, 02:43:56 PM »
Nice work Brian  :tup  Anytime you build something you're the one who notices all the areas you think are flawed. I highly doubt your Father will notice any of them. It looks incredible. That's a ton of work and it turned out awesome  :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2020, 02:47:40 PM »
That's impressive dude. Your competitors better watch out!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
Very well done, so much work went into that.  Also, now I see what I always hear you using  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
Delivered. Dad got a kick out of it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2020, 07:37:01 PM »
Looks good next to his collection.

Is that red guitar a Rickenbacker?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2020, 10:16:10 AM »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »
awesome  :metal

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2020, 06:10:05 PM »
Not really building anything this time around, but I've been in a funk this week, and sometimes when that happens I impulse buy a new RC something or other.

I really did it this time...

I bought the largest scale (1/7) and the most powerful vehicle I've ever owned or driven. It's that big sucker in the bottom right. It's just shy of 30" long and will top out at 60mph. That's blistering fast for a vehicle of that size. Getting that red GT in the top left to crack 60 has been a challenge, so this thing hitting that mark is hard to wrap my head around. You've got to be careful at that scale and at those speeds. It's really easy to break a leg/ankle with a runaway truck.

Naturally with this hobby, I couldn't just walk in and out with only a shiny new truck. No, I needed new batteries to feed an electronics system of that caliber, and I needed a new dual charger to handle charging those batteries. This is one of the few perks of living alone.

(TI83-plus for scale)

I heard mumblings of snow tonight/ If there's anything on the ground tomorrow, I'm hitting a baseball field to see what it can do. 

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:07:05 AM by Chino »

Offline frogprog

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2020, 08:30:03 AM »
During the lockdown I have experimented with several different "crafting" scenarios to keep myself occupied. Birdhouses- for a decorating competition between the 3 of us ( me, wife, daughter). Casting birdbaths- making the forms is the challenge and then pouring them with countertop cement, but I think I've found my niche. Making snare drums! I must admit that the financial out lay has gotten a little out of hand ( new table saw, various supply runs to home depot) but I'm willing to overlook that! The challenge, and majority of time spent, is building the jigs and refining the process'. All of that can be used over and over again. I started by building a 12x7" and a 14x6" from poplar ( in-expensive but still good drum making wood) to refine my techniques before moving on to some more exotic wood. I had a few mishaps with the 14" shell but the 12" is at the staining/ finishing stage and looking good. The hardware for both was delivered but I must say that cost of that is not cheap either! After these 2 I have some walnut and canary wood to experiment with. My wife asks " why do u need more drums? " the answer is, I don't, but I'm having fun building them. If I can figure out posting pictures I will do so.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: May 12, 2020, 06:12:59 AM »
During the lockdown I have experimented with several different "crafting" scenarios to keep myself occupied. Birdhouses- for a decorating competition between the 3 of us ( me, wife, daughter). Casting birdbaths- making the forms is the challenge and then pouring them with countertop cement, but I think I've found my niche. Making snare drums! I must admit that the financial out lay has gotten a little out of hand ( new table saw, various supply runs to home depot) but I'm willing to overlook that! The challenge, and majority of time spent, is building the jigs and refining the process'. All of that can be used over and over again. I started by building a 12x7" and a 14x6" from poplar ( in-expensive but still good drum making wood) to refine my techniques before moving on to some more exotic wood. I had a few mishaps with the 14" shell but the 12" is at the staining/ finishing stage and looking good. The hardware for both was delivered but I must say that cost of that is not cheap either! After these 2 I have some walnut and canary wood to experiment with. My wife asks " why do u need more drums? " the answer is, I don't, but I'm having fun building them. If I can figure out posting pictures I will do so.

Did you document any of this at all? I've built plenty of bird houses, but I've never casted anything thing outside of using sand and molten lead. I'd be interested in seeing your birdbath making process. That'd be a cool project for my mom.

For years I've been saying I was going to make a miniature log cabin bird house. Something like this:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 06:30:42 AM by Chino »

Offline frogprog

« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 07:25:59 AM »
I have been filming the whole snare drum build experiments with the hopes of editing into a watchable video.
The first bird bath, I used countertop cement which has minimal (if any) argregate, so it flows pretty good and dries fairly smooth. I got a few bags at Lowe's. For the form I used a rubber traffic cone for the tapered base with a piece of of of PVC pipe sticking out the top to extend the height. I sealed off the top of pipe, flipped the form upside down, braced it for strength and filled it.
For the basin I used 2 different plastic Rubbermaid trash can lids that with some trimming, one fit into the other, leaving a nice rounded void. I drilled a hole in the bottom and inserted a small piece of the same PVC pipe. When the form was filled around the pipe it left a void for the cylinder at the top of the base to sit in. Making the bath in two pieces made it easier to move around and not so heavy. When the concrete dried I cut the rubber cone in half and took the 2 kids apart to reveal the finished pieces. The basin fits on the base without falling off.
For the second bath I wanted a contrast to the rounded first one. I haven't finished the basin yet but the pedestal I formed in a tapered shape, like an obelisk. I inserted the same PVC pipe at the top and have a second piece inside the form to create a hollow so the bird bath isn't too heavy a chunk of concrete. I haven't finished the basin yet -snare drum building got in the way and took over!
My birdhouses are not even close to being as nice as yours! They belong in the low rent part of bird town!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »
Very cool! Thanks for the explanation.

Here's a quick clip of my newest RC vehicle doing an off-road launch. Thing's a beast.
https://imgur.com/gallery/KqMZVcD#4SNTgqQ

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2020, 07:13:38 AM »
little thing has some power.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:19 AM »
I've started working on a Delorean body for an on-road car I'm building. There wasn't one available online, so I started by using a solid, static model and have been hollowing it out.

It's coming out pretty good. I've never done something quite like this before, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Just to make sure all my math is correct, I'm printing various profiles and isolated sections of the body in order to test fit.

I'm rapidly prototyping these at low resolutions while I get the fit correct. No sense in wasting time and material on details at this stage.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2020, 01:18:26 PM »
Make sure you build a tiny flux capacitor for the interior!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens