Author Topic: The Hobby/Project thread  (Read 27982 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Hobby/Project thread
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to write all that. I've been trying to wrap my head around it.

My pleasure. It's definitely one of the coolest pieces of technology for the home that I've seen in my lifetime. Most people really have no need for one (yet), but if you're into tinkering and building stuff, it's a no brainer. They've gotten really inexpensive too. If you've got any other questions, ask away.

Online faizoff

« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2020, 07:21:18 AM »
3D printing tech is amazing as hell and I'm so excited that they've become so affordable these days. I'm really afraid to get into it as I know I'll be completely consumed by it. Maybe after I build my new PC rig next year I'll get a small 3D printer and make trinkets for the kids.

And goes without saying this thread should indeed be renamed to Chino's hobby thread, he's got some super cool shit going on all the time.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2020, 11:32:17 AM »
I have this printer and it's on sale for Prime Day for a really good price right now. Just throwing it out there if anyone was thinking of getting their feet wet.

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Economic-Printing-Function-220x220x250MM/dp/B07CGMN3XF/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=creality&qid=1602610207&refinements=p_n_specials_match%3A21213697011&rnid=21213696011&sr=8-7

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2020, 06:17:47 AM »
This might be one of my favorite builds. I wish the Bob Ross figure was a smidge larger, but I'm keeping it in there anyway. Just waiting on a few electronics to get it moving.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2020, 06:25:31 AM »
That is totally wicked, Brian!!

Where in the hell did you find a Bob Ross doll  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:45 AM »
That is totally wicked, Brian!!

Where in the hell did you find a Bob Ross doll  :lol

It's an action figure!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PH3XRFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2020, 07:17:24 AM »
Speaking as someone who has a '90 YJ in his garage as he types this, the detail on that Jeep is fucking AMAZING.  If you took an isolation shot of that tire, I wouldn't know it wasn't on a real, driving Jeep.   

That is boss. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2020, 07:30:57 AM »
Wow! That's amazing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #183 on: October 21, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »
Truly amazing Chino!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: October 21, 2020, 09:05:54 AM »
Thanks dudes.

Anyone know how to use photoshop really well? I kind of have this idea where I want to take a picture of the vehicle and super impose it against a backdrop that would look like something Bob would paint, and then I want to use a filter or something to make it look like a painting. I think it'd be cool to print that out and put it on the easel he'll be transporting around.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: October 21, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
Send me a picture of just the Jeep, and I'll give it a whirl. I've done similar things before.

Oh, and the less complicated the background, the better.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 23, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »
Brian,

Here is a mock-up I did with a stock Jeep photo. I think this is the sort of thing you're looking for.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2020, 10:48:29 AM »
Brian,

Here is a mock-up I did with a stock Jeep photo. I think this is the sort of thing you're looking for.

HAH! So much so. That's awesome, man. Exactly what I was talking about. If I get a chance today, I'll try and get a pic of my truck at that particular angle.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2020, 10:51:27 AM »
Glad Gregg stepped up before Joe did!  lol

Brian, that truly is something beautiful.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »
Thanks!

Gregg, how's this?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »
I can work with that, my man. What did you think of the background image? Do you want the paint texture to be more obvious?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2020, 05:19:50 AM »
Yeah! If there's an effect that makes it look like an oil or watercolor painting rather than a photo, that'd be swell.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2020, 05:28:25 AM »
The image I posted actually has a oil painting texture applied to it, but because I only posted 800 x 600 resolution, you can't really tell. By the way, do you know what the print size will be in inches? I can tailor the image to that, in that way, you'll be sure to notice the brush strokes.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2020, 06:52:10 AM »
I'll get an exact measurement tonight once I'm home from work.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2020, 07:29:30 AM »

The original is much higher resolution and you can really see the brush strokes. Imgur is down scaling this and I can't figure out why. I'll probably need to directly email you the image in PM.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:35:35 AM by Podaar »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:54 AM »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: November 06, 2020, 06:59:59 PM »
I didn't have a chance to get a mini version of that canvas printed out yet:/ I was hoping to have it ready for tomorrow. I actually don't have a printer at my house and didn't have time this week to visit my parents' and mooch of theirs  :lol

Tomorrow is the annual Kreepy Krawl event. It usually takes place before Halloween, but the guy who runs it had his wife pass away a few weeks ago, so he delayed it. It's my favorite get together of the year. I've spent the last four hours turning wrenches, checking drivetrains, getting my travel toolboxes/mobile pit together, and charging all my batteries. Will be on the road by 5:15 tomorrow morning and looking forward to the day. The weather looks killer (72F without a cloud in the sky). I'll be bringing these trucks:

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 07:07:50 PM by Chino »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2020, 02:24:42 PM »

My old deck rotted out so I'm replacing it.  I did about half of this by myself, and the other half my father-in-law and I did together.  Hard work, but fun, and a real sense of accomplishment.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2020, 04:32:58 AM »
Lookin sweet dude.  Gonna be great - next summer!   :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2020, 05:39:05 AM »
Looks awesome Stads!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2020, 08:18:39 AM »
Looking good, that's pretty awesome to do yourself

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2020, 06:29:09 PM »
Where I have been?  Mostly playing board games and board gaming related activities like painting/pimping my games.  I painted the gears of my game Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calander.

Whole game:

Close up of main gear:

Once I get my upstairs back in order (I just had two bedrooms and the bathroom floors redone) I can post some zombie legions

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2020, 06:31:07 PM »
Goddamn that is cool af.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2020, 06:42:51 AM »
Wow, those gears are cool. Did you color an already existing design in or come up with that yourself? Either way, it looks great. My birthday is coming up and my mother has been hounding me for what she could get me as a gift. I've wanted to get into miniature painting for a while, so I sent her a link to a 50 color paint set and some brushes. Should allow me to better bring to life some of the stuff I 3D print.   

One thing I have always sucked at is keeping brushes in good order, or properly cleaning them between colors. Any advice on brush care?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2020, 01:22:02 PM »
Bill.....that deck looks great already....please share some finished pics, would love to see it completed. Really great outdoor hang out space.

Brian. My kiddos are really into 'War Hammer' Lots of miniatures and painting. They go through brushes like crazy though. I ask them to follow a simple paint thinner cleaning process between each color and after they're done using them but they're kids...so no real advice there. It's fun though...I ordered my own little set just to be able to paint some as well.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:51 PM »
Chino, the design is the Mayan design from artifacts.  The middle sticker is not on yet because I'm trying to decide how to paint it since it isn't on gloss paper and not plastic.  The surfaces were slightly raised, so very little freehand on my part.  I chose the colors which are different from the actual one, but I was looking to make it pop an make it my own.

As for brush care, I use warm water for my cup and thoroughly wash and run every after use.  I also use this after every other session:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Pencil-Company-Masters-Preserver/dp/B001TNR7VM

As your first workhorse brush begins to become less effective, turn it into a mixing brush because mixing is where you will do the most damage and getting paint into the ferrule.

Two things that will help you out a bit: either buy washes or learn how to make a good wash.  There is a good recipe I found on YouTube.  I make my own now because I have the stuff for it, but I honestly don't think the effort is worth it compared to what Citadel produces.  Not a big fan of their paint pots, but their wash is awesome.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2020, 05:56:55 AM »
Thanks guys  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2020, 07:24:22 AM »
Bill.....that deck looks great already....please share some finished pics, would love to see it completed. Really great outdoor hang out space.

Finished the decking this weekend (the part to the right that I hadn't done).  Just have railings to go now and I'll update the photos.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2020, 06:37:20 AM »