Author Topic: The Hobby/Project thread  (Read 27983 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Hobby/Project thread
« Reply #140 on: July 20, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »
Your underwater videos and pictures are so amazing

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 20, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
Thanks Brotha!  I appreciate it.  Love it, just wonder how long I will be able to keep doing it.  Getting older and having physical issues will nip it in the bud at some point :(

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2020, 12:35:26 PM »
Thanks Brotha!  I appreciate it.  Love it, just wonder how long I will be able to keep doing it.  Getting older and having physical issues will nip it in the bud at some point :(

That's one thing that really makes me depressed thinking about the corona life we are in.  It's going to end up being one year (or more) we all lost of doing the things we love as we just get older and won't forever be able to do these things.  I get so upset everytime I think about what I could have been doing this summer and the lost experiences. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »

I know it's not the same... like at all, but here's something to keep in the back of your mind for when that day comes.

https://www.cnet.com/news/take-your-gopro-for-a-dive-with-the-seawolf-rc-sub/

TAIPEI -- Checking in at 7.7 kilograms and 70cm long is the second version of the TTRobotix's Seawolf submarine, a motorised remote control submarine that can dive down to a depth of 8 meters. The key difference between the first and second version is the inclusion of a mount where you can install a GoPro Hero3 or Hero4 action camera to film your underwater adventure.

While the first version of the Seawolf is already available, the GoPro-enabled model will only be launching in August and will come in two flavors -- one for fresh water and one for sea. This remote control toy won't be cheap -- TTRobotix says it will cost $999 (which converts to £655 or AU$1,285).

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2020, 12:45:10 PM »

I know it's not the same... like at all, but here's something to keep in the back of your mind for when that day comes.

https://www.cnet.com/news/take-your-gopro-for-a-dive-with-the-seawolf-rc-sub/

TAIPEI -- Checking in at 7.7 kilograms and 70cm long is the second version of the TTRobotix's Seawolf submarine, a motorised remote control submarine that can dive down to a depth of 8 meters. The key difference between the first and second version is the inclusion of a mount where you can install a GoPro Hero3 or Hero4 action camera to film your underwater adventure.

While the first version of the Seawolf is already available, the GoPro-enabled model will only be launching in August and will come in two flavors -- one for fresh water and one for sea. This remote control toy won't be cheap -- TTRobotix says it will cost $999 (which converts to £655 or AU$1,285).

That's sweet!!!!!  My biggest fear would be experienced folks using them.  Possible damage to the fragile reefs and structures.  It is wicked cool though!!!!

Yeah Marc,  losing this time really does suck.  We were actually supposed to be in Cozumel right now, July 17-Aug 5. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2020, 02:52:32 PM »
Went surfing for the 2nd time today and it was a blast. I got a shorter and thinner board this time and it made a huge difference. I was actually able to ride waves back to the beach.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
Went surfing for the 2nd time today and it was a blast. I got a shorter and thinner board this time and it made a huge difference. I was actually able to ride waves back to the beach.

Cool!  Where you surfing at?  I grew up surfing here in Huntington Beach, CA.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Jersey Shore

The waves are so so, but I am still just starting out so they are pretty much perfect for me at this point.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2020, 03:27:58 PM »
Jersey Shore

The waves are so so, but I am still just starting out so they are pretty much perfect for me at this point.

Just watch out for the trash and great white sharks  :lol I'm such a hater on the Jersey Shore.  I have a hard time putting more than my feet in the water here. (and not really cause of sharks, but because the water just feels so disgusting)

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2020, 05:36:24 PM »
Jersey Shore

Keep it up!  Always great to see people doing what they want, and not just dreaming!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
Jersey Shore

Keep it up!  Always great to see people doing what they want, and not just dreaming!

Agree with that and hope my last post didn't come off as negative towards your very cool hobby, just personally love having a jab at my local beaches.  Didn't realize you were also from the area

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #151 on: July 22, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »
My paint finally came in and I'm able to get started on this body.

The pics below were taken in a pretty poorly lit paint booth/room I have in my house. The paint is pretty metallic and should really pop when I get it in the sun. Also, there is a dull film on the outside of the body that's to be removed once you're done painting it from the inside. With that on, the finish looks rather matte. Once removed, it looks nice and glossy.

The light blue stuff that's a bit transparent is a liquid mask that can be laid down with a paint brush and then trimmed with an hobby knife. Here I'm masking off the areas I don't want to receive paint. The area that's left exposed will be silver. From there, I'll cut away more and more of the mask as I add additional colors. When painting RC bodies, you always want to go light to dark dark to light, light to dark, dark to light.

A few layers of silver

Cut away some more mask and onto the purple. All that spider webbing in the grill and on other parts of the body is just the liquid mask reacting to the previous layers of paint. That look will disappear when I peel the last bit away.

Any area that still has that blue mask on it will ultimately be a metallic black. The cab is all black, so I'll be starting that too very soon.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #152 on: July 22, 2020, 10:43:51 AM »
That is really freaking cool Brian!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2020, 06:18:20 AM »
Thanks Gary

Got the all the painting done last night. I'm pretty happy with it. I tried a new liquid mask this time around and I think it's going to be the last time I use it. I'm not all that pleased with how it worked compared to other kinds I've used in the past. There's a lot of tiny blemishes if you look up close. It's all good though. A couple of decals and a scuff or two from clipping a curb, and you wont even notice  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 26, 2020, 06:47:35 AM »
I saw that pic on instagram and I initially thought it was a full size truck. I think it looks pretty solid Chino :tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: July 26, 2020, 07:27:00 AM »
I saw that pic on instagram and I initially thought it was a full size truck. I think it looks pretty solid Chino :tup
Yeah.... initially I was thinking the same  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2020, 05:50:58 AM »
 :tup

I picked up a new on-road car as part of a trade over the weekend. I started adding some of the livery to the Euro truck as well. Still waiting on a few more decal sheets to finish that up.

There's a track in my city that I've never run at. It's been probably 8 or 9 years since I've done track racing, but I'd like to get back into it. There are classes that the cars above will allow me to run in. I've been doing primarily scale crawler stuff and side-by-side, solid axle monster truck racing with these guys:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2020, 02:08:34 PM »
Facebook Marketplace has been a dangerous place for me as of late. Having a bit of disposable income isn't helping matters any. I'm about to go pick up a never assembled, never painted, still in plastic, 1/350 Titanic model. Should be one hell of a project. I've wanted to build a Titanic model for a long time, and there are 4 or 5 on the market of good quality, only two of which were big enough for me. The one I found is the second largest model available. The next one up is 1/200, which is just absurdly big  :lol Can't wait to start building the thing. However, I've been going back and forth about remodeling my basement so I have a proper hobby area, instead of sharing that space with my home office. Working from home has made it kind of cramped in here. If I do do that, I might hold off on the build until I can do it in more model-friendly environment.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2020, 02:42:23 PM »
ok really stupid question, will this model float (and subsequently sink)?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »
Can't wait to see that one Brian.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
ok really stupid question, will this model float (and subsequently sink)?

:lol :clap:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: August 12, 2020, 11:42:22 AM »
Lmao. I don't see why this model wouldn't float. I'm not going to test it though  :P 

However, I'm going over the instructions very carefully because I plan to illuminate the thing. It's not meant for it, but it seems totally doable. I'm going to have to manually drill out a couple hundred of the port holes in the hull to let light out, and then I'm going to have to figure out where I'm going to drill holes between the decks to snake all the wiring. Once you start putting the decks on top of each other, there's no going back. So I'm going to have to wire it deck by deck as I go along.

This is the 1/200 scale kit I mentioned above. It's made by a company called Trumpeter and costs $500 for the version with the lighting kit (100% unassembled and not painted btw).

That's the look I'm trying to achieve. My model is about 14" shorter than the one above and wasn't designed with lighting in mind. It's probably going to be a nightmare, but we'll see how it plays out  :lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:34:02 PM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2020, 02:07:17 PM »

This is the 1/200 scale kit I mentioned above. It's made by a company called Trumpeter and costs $500 for the version with the lighting kit (100% unassembled and not painted btw).

The real reason you didn't buy that one.  We know.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »
Lmao. I don't see why this model wouldn't float. I'm not going to test it though  :P 

God himself could not sink that model.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2020, 04:23:36 PM »

God himself could not sink that model.

:lol

This thread is so full of win.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
Anyone ever get anything from a company called 2X4 Basics? I ordered a bunch of stuff from the yesterday. I've mentioned in other threads that I'm redoing my basement to be a room dedicated to my hobbies and projects. That's going to require a bunch of storage and work benches. I wanted to get them built fast and these things seem like an awesome solution. All you need are 2X4s and plywood sheets. They make leg and shelving mounts/brackets/templates (idk what to call them) and you just cut your wood to whatever dimensions you need. I plan on building a behemoth of an L-shaped work bench and a separate display area for all of my RCs. I ordered a bunch of shelving kits from them too. Hoping to knock most of it out on Saturday.

(not my pics)

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2020, 05:51:50 PM »
I got my new work area basically finished today and moved my 3D printers into the corner behind the bench. I'm pleased with how it turned out. Ended up costing around $400 for everything, about $250 more than I was planning on spending :lol I'm good with it though. It'll get used a ton. Now to work on the entertainment center on the other side of the room  :coolio

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:59:38 PM by Chino »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2020, 05:55:15 AM »
Fuck man, that's a sexy looking setup.  I'm not much of a hobby person, but that's damn cool.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2020, 08:57:19 AM »
yeah, that's really cool. There's a lot of storage and space there to handle a variety of hobbies and repairs.  :tup

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
We should rename this thread to the 'WTF Is Chino Building Today?" thread.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: September 20, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

:lol   No kidding.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:00 PM »

I was thinking something more like “chino makes you all feel like lazy mofos”

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #172 on: September 20, 2020, 09:01:59 PM »
Chino. what do the raw materials cost to build a 3-D model from the printer?
Also, are these your designs or do you find a thingy online and click print?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:26 AM »
Lmao. Thanks dudes.

Chino. what do the raw materials cost to build a 3-D model from the printer?
Also, are these your designs or do you find a thingy online and click print?

Relatively inexpensive in my opinion. I think it's dirt cheap as far as being able to create intricate 3D structures in your house goes. A quick look through my Amazon history, and it looks like I've spent roughly $400 on material in the last 3 years. I've used maybe half of that across all my projects. You can't see it in the pic above because it's blocked by the bench, but on the bottom shelf of my 3D printing rack, there's about 15 unfinished spools of yet to be used material.

For example, for this project, the bed, headache rack, logs, side mirrors, battery mount up front, body mount in the middle, electronics box, and the rear bed mount (with 3D printed hinges) were all 3D printed. With draft and test pieces, that was less than $15 worth of material. In the hobby world, such customization might has well be free at that price. Years ago, you'd have to make that out of polystyrene (not as strong and labor intensive) or metal, which would have cost significantly more. Hell, the cans of spray paint I needed to paint the parts cost more than the 3D printing material :lol

Now, the material can get expensive though. I use a material called PLA, and it's the cheapest material there is. It's easy to work with, can be finished nicely without much effort, and it suits my needs perfectly. That's typically $18-$24 per roll (the truck above used maybe 2/3 worth of a roll of material) pending what kind you're getting. You can get plain colors toward the $18 range and glow in the dark/metallic/granite effects will be closer to the $24 mark. I use one type that's like 22% saw dust and it looks like wood(ish) when you're done. It will even accept stain. There are some really high end filaments that are $60+ a roll. They're laced with carbon fiber and whatnot. They're tough to print with, but they're really strong. It's comparable to steel depending on the application and how you print it. A lot of the 3lb-12lb combat robot guys use it.

As for the stuff I print, it's a combination of my own designs, designs other people have made, and hybrid of the two.

There's a website, www.thingiverse.com that's pretty much the largest database of 3D models for 3D printing. I've pulled dozens of prints off there and just printed them as are (changing the scale if needed). Sometimes I take models other people have made and I'll modify them. For example, the logs in that truck above were originally made for a D&D map. The trees were shorter and more tapered at the bottom. I took the models and I modified the original object to better match the look and of type of log I was looking for.

Then there's the stuff that's 100% all me. I use an opensource CAD software (www.tinkercad.com) to draw up my models. The part below is the center body mount for the truck above (silver piece with velcro). I designed it after work one day, and by the time I woke up the next day, the part was finished.

Whether you design your own, or download someone else's, it's never exactly just "clicking print". Each model is a little different, and in time with experience you learn how to set up your printer to best print each one. You need to determine things like infill density, resolution, where you want supports (if at all), print speed, print orientation, etc.. It might sound intimidating, but it's really straight forward. If you know how to properly set 5 or 6 key printing parameters, you can print 99% of the stuff you download off that site above.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 06:19:02 AM by Chino »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2020, 06:15:40 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to write all that. I've been trying to wrap my head around it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol