Author Topic: The Hobby/Project thread  (Read 27908 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Hobby/Project thread
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
The whole lockdown thing did wonders for the current cross-stitching project I've been working on:

The full design should look like this which I'll probably finish in like 5 years from now on :lol

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2020, 11:27:22 AM »
Holy hell. That thing is wild. How much time do you have into it so far?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2020, 02:06:48 PM »
About half a year (maybe a month or two more) but I mostly just did a thread or two (~1-1.5 hours) every other day before lockdown. Now I'm doing from 2 to 4 hours each day and it's going much faster.

It also helps that a lot of the background (which I haven't started on yet) is designed in half-stitches as opposed to the actual leopard which is almost all in standard cross-stitches, so when I get to the background (which I plan to start on soon for a change), it should be going twice as fast. But it's also the most difficult and ambitious design I've attempted yet.

Jokes aside, I'm hoping to finish it at the end of 2022.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2020, 05:52:45 AM »
With mask production at an end, I've been putting one of my printers to good use. I've always wanted to make an engine. It's kind of wild to think that we're not that far away from being able to print a functioning, metal, 3D printed engine at home.

I've still got about a bajillion other parts to print. It's got a functioning 5spd tranny w/ reverse, the high/low gears shifter, and the 2WD/4WD transfer case with shifter. One of my printers is still down for the count. The parts I need are on back order. This would go a lot faster if I could use both of them. This is also the first time I've started messing with "silk" filament. It's that shiny stuff that makes up the intake, headers, and the crank bits. It's pretty cool stuff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:31 AM »
So freaking cool Brian! :tup  This technology is fascinating....  Can’t wait to see the final product.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
Wow thats pretty amazing

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2020, 10:08:58 AM »
Thanks dudes. This is what it will look like (hopefully) when finished. I'm changing up the colors a bit though. I don't want red gears. It'll be "functional" in that I can hide a 3v motor in the compressor housing and get the whole thing to move.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2020, 09:53:48 AM »
Oh Happy Day!

I found a small operation out of the Ukraine that makes RC car bodies. They do high quality, limited runs of shells that you don't really see anywhere else (likely because of licensing fees and legalities). My newest body just arrived, and I'm all kinds of giddy inside.

In the image below, I'm lining it up on one of my existing cars to check for fit. I guess I'm now going to have to build another kit so it has something to sit on. Shucks!

I think I might order another one of these bodies just because. I hate the idea of shelf queens, but I also hate the idea of driving this body and damaging it, especially as it's a limited run. So I might make two and have one be the display body and the other be the body that gets run when I bash. With shipping international and paint, each body runs about $110, so that's kinda lame.

I also have this kit that I recently put together. One of the colors I need was on backorder (still is  :tdwn), so this how she sits. For this one I'm going to be doing a black, purple, and silver paint scheme with healthy amount of flake in the purple and silver. I'm hoping it comes out alright. This body is actually five pieces that have to be painted separately and inside out. They go together at the end. It's messing with my head a bit trying to plan out all the masking and what colors go down when.

For those that might not know, you paint RC car bodies from the inside rather than the outside. That way when you crash, only the clear lexan takes damage, not the paint. The paint also has some special stuff in it that makes it flexible. So when the body bends, the paint bends and stretches with it rather than cracking and flaking off. It's pretty cool.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 01:57:06 PM by Chino »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
Interesting. Looks fun.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
Tried Surfing for the very first time today.

Very fun, but very challenging as well. I'm gonna definitely keep doing it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2020, 08:52:04 AM »
thats awesome Phoenix. Thats something I've always wanted to do. I'd try to paddle surf when i lived in florida but as you said it was really difficult..

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2020, 09:59:09 AM »
The thought of surfing absolutely terrifies me.   

- Being in the ocean outside of a boat
- Hot air balloons
- Ladders

Those are my 3 big nopes.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2020, 08:10:30 AM »
While I don't have a fear of heights I have an irrational fear of ladders. I don't like getting on them in any circumstance.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
While I don't have a fear of heights I have an irrational fear of ladders. I don't like getting on them in any circumstance.

I had a job in my early 20's for a couple summers where I cleaned and stained decks. There were times when we had the 60' ladders out and walk plank set up between them when we were doing these large condo/apartment buildings......a lot of the homes we did work for were high dollar homes with extensive decks as well. Many a precarious spot spent on the ladder. I was usually the guy on the ladder on the 'outside' of the deck doing the spindles and all the stuff you couldn't reach from 'inside' on the deck because I worked with my brother who.....fell from a ladder as a painter. Luckily he landed in a pretty thick shrub and only ended up with a fear of ladders.....but that placed me always on the outside.

And, this was just a really small company ran by a buddy of mine so there wasn't an extensive 'safety' aspect to this. It was "don't fall"  :lol   This job took place smack dab in the middle of my 'stoner' days so I was high the entire day anyway so what did I care? Smoking weed and then working at high heights with little training? What could go wrong?  :lol  Thankfully, nothing bad happened. Did have a spindle detach from a deck into my hand one time as I gripped it for leverage......and I was about 60' in the air when that happened so it scared the  :censored out of me. I remember my brother and I locked eyes as it happened.....right before I could grab myself on the ladder in that split second to where he and I both thought I was about to plummet and splat on the asphalt below. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2020, 09:51:51 AM »
If I am high up and look over the ledge, my stomach drops. I've liked climbing though

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2020, 10:19:27 PM »
Thanks dudes. This is what it will look like (hopefully) when finished. I'm changing up the colors a bit though. I don't want red gears. It'll be "functional" in that I can hide a 3v motor in the compressor housing and get the whole thing to move.

Holy mother of...  That is amazing!  I need to get me a 3d printer sometime soon.  What model do you have?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »

*Pic snip*

Holy mother of...  That is amazing!  I need to get me a 3d printer sometime soon.  What model do you have?

I have two that I use:

ADIMLab Gantry Pro (Mine's from pre-update):
https://www.amazon.com/ADIMLab-Assembled-Printing-310X310X410-Filament/dp/B07CPQQ57D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=ZY1GP10L8A12&dchild=1&keywords=adimlab+gantry+3d+printer&qid=1594642628&sprefix=adimla%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-3

Creality Ender 3:
https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Economic-Printing-Function-220x220x250MM/dp/B07CGMN3XF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2V8TCE22VBC2G&dchild=1&keywords=creality+ender+3&qid=1594642738&sprefix=Creality+e%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWU4xTVlBMzlSUzZKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTA3NDMxMjEwSEdTVDcwUDZZNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNzUwMzg0M0pRMVY2RE8xWEI4MiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

They each serve their purposes. The first one up above is a much larger machine. I would never have been able to complete a few projects without a print volume of that size. It's a beefy machine that's kind of loud, and it wears and tears itself out fast. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep running smoothly. But it's good when I need it to be. The second one from up above is a much smaller machine, but it runs quieter and its print quality is absolutely ridiculous at its price point. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm currently using it on my 1:24 RC Bronco project (The model I'm trying to print needs work):

Offline faizoff

« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2020, 06:26:54 AM »
I can't believe how affordable 3D printers have gotten. I remember several years ago when I was thinking of getting one and the cheapest crappy unreliable model was no less than $600. I might just look into it soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2020, 07:10:38 AM »
I can't believe how affordable 3D printers have gotten. I remember several years ago when I was thinking of getting one and the cheapest crappy unreliable model was no less than $600. I might just look into it soon.

It's quite something. I'm used to technology getting cheaper over time, but I've never seen such a rapid price drop like we have with 3D printers (LED televisions maybe).

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
The whole lockdown thing did wonders for the current cross-stitching project I've been working on:

*snip*

I'm so glad to see another stitcher here, and how talented you are!!

I have a few projects going on right now, but here's one I'm spending the most time on. I want to put it up in my office at work when I'm done.

Here's what it will look like when I'm finished.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2020, 10:26:46 AM »
That's pretty cool, I definitely don't have the patience of doing stitching

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:32 AM »
I feel like my hands would go numb trying to complete one of those (looks great BTW!). How long have you been working on that one?

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »

I didn't have the patience when I started.

I started because I was having terrible anxiety, and problems with patience.

I feel like my hands would go numb trying to complete one of those (looks great BTW!). How long have you been working on that one?

Thank you!

Yes, sometimes my wrist goes a little numb if I spend hours stitching, but I also think I have carpal tunnel.

I've been working on this piece since June 14th, when I was fully working from home. I was able to finish one character and start on another each day. I went back to work two weeks ago, so less time for crafts.  :'(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2020, 12:51:21 PM »

Does it help?

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »

Does it help?

Yes!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2020, 01:32:18 PM »
That's some amazing work Cecilia, it looks fantastic.

BTW you wouldn't be the same Cecilia from the MP.forum would you?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cecilia

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2020, 01:38:36 PM »

Thank you!

Yes, it’s me! The one and only!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
You all have some amazing talent!  I love lurking on this thread just to see what someone is working on.  I like to do projects too, but I have a bum sholder right now and everything I like to work on requires I use it.  Hopefully once it heals, I will be able to share something too.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline faizoff

« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

Thank you!

Yes, it’s me! The one and only!

Awesome!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2020, 02:15:49 PM »

*snip*

I'm so glad to see another stitcher here, and how talented you are!!

<pic>

Looks really good! You said you started this on June 14th, that's a huge progress for one month! Hopefully you can keep at it despite the working hours coming back.

Talented is a strong word as I'm only following the pattern the designer laid out for me but hey, I'll take it :) With the lockdown over I also have way less time to do this, but I still try to squeeze in a thread or two each day. Obligatory progress pic:

I won't speak for anyone else, but how it works for me is:

- Set up the table and the hoop (or w/e this square thing is called. I know that the hoop is a circular thing)
- Consult the design and pick out the strands to begin stitching, get the thread assembled. The trick for me is to switch colors often to keep it exciting
(the two steps above take like 5-10 minutes but that's because the design I'm doing is pretty difficult. for easier designs it would be like 2-3 minutes tops)
- Put on the music I was looking for to check out, be that something from DTF or anything else really. Sometimes I just play something I would like to listen to. It's a great way to listen to music while still doing something
- Everything is set up and now the good times begin

It definitely requires a lot of patience (especially if you've got a knot in your thread somehow, screw that), and it definitely helps with anxiety. The thing is, I'm constantly driven by desire to create something; but as I'm creating helicopter designs for my paycheck and as most of you know I'm also constantly creating a homebrew fantasy D&D campaign from scratch for my friends to play in; stitching is a fantastic way to still create while following someone else's instructions for a change. It's a great way to be productive while your brain is in sleeping mode.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
Also I'm kinda reluctant to post this but as this gained a bit of traction, here are some of the previous designs I did:

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2020, 08:42:40 AM »
Evermind and Cecilia........that is such a cool hobby. I've always liked those intricate needle point drawings like that. The patience, vision and accuracy you have to possess to execute those is crazy. Great work!  :tup

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2020, 09:41:07 AM »
If I am high up and look over the ledge, my stomach drops. I've liked climbing though
I feel exactly the same.  I don't fear heights per se... but looking over the edge, or being close to the edge?  :eek

Evermind and Cecilia, the cross stitching is awesome!  When I was younger I used to LOVE too needlepoint.  Yeah, not the same but hey!  Chino, wicked cool 3D printing!  The complete engine is incredible.  The clock for your Dad, I'm assuming he has a Submariner?

My hobby is Diving and in particular underwater Photography and Underwater Videography.  Here's one of my most recent videos from last years Dive Safari to the Philippines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPG5JPC6tXU

Some Photo's......

https://imgur.com/8ukmgM6

https://imgur.com/BSRZRnb

https://imgur.com/75UDOW0

https://imgur.com/Mfaq2jn

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 10:05:36 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2020, 10:06:53 AM »

My hobby is Diving and in particular underwater Photography and Underwater Videography.  Here's one of my most recent videos from last years Dive Safari to the Philippines.

Holy shit, man! That's amazing!

Not sure I'd want to swim with sharks though. They're not man eaters apparently.

Are there crocodiles there?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »

Holy shit, man! That's amazing!

Not sure I'd want to swim with sharks though. They're not man eaters apparently.

Are there crocodiles there?
Thank's Brotha.  No Crocs... :lol  Although... in Cozumel near one of the southern lil rock jetties they've occasionally been spotted there.  It's close to an estuary.  If it was less than 6' I would probably get in the water and try to photograph it.  Lots of folks do.