Author Topic: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage  (Read 14930 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« Reply #245 on: April 08, 2022, 02:17:07 PM »
Will Smith has been banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years.

That’ll teach him.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #246 on: April 08, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »
We are large fans of the show as well, and I hate seeing what's happening right now, but I think it's being done extremely well by everyone involved.

Only 5 or 6 episodes left, if I'm not mistaken.

My one and only complaint—it just doesn't seem like enough time to wrap it all up in a satisfying way.

That being said, I applaud everyone invovled for walking away on their own accord.

The odds of me crying next week are infinity.   I think I started just watching the teasers.  :)

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #247 on: April 08, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
Will Smith has been banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years.

I wonder if he can file an appeal on that.  That said, I'm not sure how bummed he would be about it or if this is an actual bigger deal on the outside.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #248 on: April 08, 2022, 03:15:18 PM »
I’m pretty confident they’ll quietly overturn it in the next few years.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #249 on: April 08, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
Just watched the movie "The Legend of Bagger Vance" last night and Will Smith was in a lot better of a mood. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #250 on: April 08, 2022, 04:08:09 PM »

He's been apologetic to his family, he's been contrite with the media, and he's been humbly repentant to his peers and colleagues, but Will Smith seems wise enough to know that these are not where his salvation lies. There is a power higher than any of us, an authority that stands beyond any wife or child or fanbase to whom the truly repentant celebrity must seek forgiveness: Saint Oprah of Winfrey. If he hopes to have his Academy ban lifted he must first unburden his humanity to Her. Literally billions of Hollywood dollars depend upon it. It'll happen within the next few months.   

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #251 on: April 08, 2022, 04:27:10 PM »
my understanding is that even with his membership resigned and being banned from attending academy events, he can still be nominated and win.  Though the likelihood of that is pretty low at this point. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #252 on: April 08, 2022, 09:03:21 PM »

He's been apologetic to his family, he's been contrite with the media, and he's been humbly repentant to his peers and colleagues, but Will Smith seems wise enough to know that these are not where his salvation lies. There is a power higher than any of us, an authority that stands beyond any wife or child or fanbase to whom the truly repentant celebrity must seek forgiveness: Saint Oprah of Winfrey. If he hopes to have his Academy ban lifted he must first unburden his humanity to Her. Literally billions of Hollywood dollars depend upon it. It'll happen within the next few months.

Fucking for real..

HI Dave, hope you're doing well.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2022, 08:02:57 AM »
So apparently attacking comedians on stage is now a thing.  Lots of n-words in the clips as you would expect from Chappelle.  So just fair warning.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/dave-chappelle-attacked-on-stage-1235257796/?fbclid=IwAR1luUbwbz12rV66RUb6Pg6HITM8UK27pa_Z2bNTDCzlaqL2BxLPZqepEhM
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2022, 10:05:24 AM »
Dude that jumped Chappelle got roughed up bad by security.  Not that the dummy didn't deserve a beatdown with a gun/knife on him but now, in the world we live in, he'll get rich for suing the venue, Chappelle and Fox who also jumped in on the dumb dude.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2022, 10:22:06 AM »
Dude that jumped Chappelle got roughed up bad by security.  Not that the dummy didn't deserve a beatdown with a gun/knife on him but now, in the world we live in, he'll get rich for suing the venue, Chappelle and Fox who also jumped in on the dumb dude.
Not sure he has much of a case when he initiated the incident, no?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »

It could go either way, I think. If I steal a chunky bar and a cop sees and tackles me, and then continues to deliver blows to my head even after I'm subdued, it can be considered unnecessary force. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2022, 11:18:16 AM »

It could go either way, I think. If I steal a chunky bar and a cop sees and tackles me, and then continues to deliver blows to my head even after I'm subdued, it can be considered unnecessary force.

A few years back at the WWE Hall of Fame, some crazy guy decided to get into the ring and attack Bret Hart and then at least three wrestlers and I think a MMA fighter went to town on the guy, I think.  Don't think anything came out of it from what I recall outside of the guy getting arrested for trespassing and assault and whatnot.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2022, 11:25:52 AM »

You'd think but it's never the case.  Have you see the video of his arm dislocated bending backwards and he face blown up from the beatdown?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #260 on: May 04, 2022, 08:46:25 PM »
We just need more security like this guy. Service with a smile!

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2022, 09:37:26 PM »
Not sure his apology tour is going well this week, while promoting his new film.  My biggest takeaway is that Will Smith is still one arrogant individual and he is only sorry because of the blowback. 

Offline Harmony

« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2022, 08:53:58 AM »
I think perhaps Will Smith should turn his slapping talents on Joey McFarland (the producer of the film) for doing this.  White people are so cringy sometimes.  smdh

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-12-01/emancipation-premiere-enslaved-photo-joey-mcfarland

Offline pg1067

« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2022, 09:35:22 AM »
I think perhaps Will Smith should turn his slapping talents on Joey McFarland (the producer of the film) for doing this.  White people are so cringy sometimes.  smdh

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-12-01/emancipation-premiere-enslaved-photo-joey-mcfarland

Paywall....

Also, generalizing about "white people"??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2022, 02:13:00 PM »

Damn. You're never going to please everybody, and nowadays you're going to piss half of them off either way. Given that we've reached a point where a person is damned if they do and damned if they don't, people need to just stop trying.

Life in a world where context and intent are things to be disregarded.

Paywall....
https://archive.ph/T2Xky
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2022, 03:15:30 PM »

Paywall....

Ever heard of the "Karen" phenomenon?

I'm a white person so yeah...we can be hella cringy sometimes.  Can you imagine being a black person and seeing this guy whip out a historical artifact depicting what many people feel is the hallmark image of the abused black slave like it is a baseball or Pokemon trading card?  It's just part of a collection of artifacts that he has that he will donate to a museum once he dies?  But not now?  Does whipping it out like that make its value increase?  Does it make you wonder how he came to own it in the first place?  (There is some decent reporting about that aspect of the story going on out there if you want to dig for it.)

I mean, people collect Nazi memorabilia so I guess it shouldn't seem all that weird but yes, I think it is cringy and I am definitely not the only one who thinks so.  If you are truly interested in learning why, I'd suggest you check out Michael Harriot's Twitter post thread about it.  And/or Franklin Leonard's.  Both of those people have infinitely more wisdom about it than I do.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
I think an action of one dumb man does not encompass all white males.  Generalizing is perhaps the worst thing one can do about any race.  This goes for any race and why so many people fight between each other instead of respecting each other.  The man is an idiot to think he should show it. 

I went to the Smithsonian Institute African American Museum.  I was embarrassed and felt like I needed to do something, but I held back.  I just thanked those who worked there for opening my eyes.  So this producer probably had good intentions but should have known better and just went being humbled.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2022, 03:49:45 PM »

Regardless, that photo is a piece of history and I have said before, the truth is not pretty. If you want to learn about a certain period, there are going to be remnants that are not pretty to look at either. And all he did was bring a photograph to a movie premier about the man portrayed in the photograph.  :facepalm:

Paywall....

Ever heard of the "Karen" phenomenon?

I'm a white person so yeah...we can be hella cringy sometimes.  Can you imagine being a black person and seeing this guy whip out a historical artifact depicting what many people feel is the hallmark image of the abused black slave like it is a baseball or Pokemon trading card?  It's just part of a collection of artifacts that he has that he will donate to a museum once he dies?  But not now?  Does whipping it out like that make its value increase?  Does it make you wonder how he came to own it in the first place?  (There is some decent reporting about that aspect of the story going on out there if you want to dig for it.)

I mean, people collect Nazi memorabilia so I guess it shouldn't seem all that weird but yes, I think it is cringy and I am definitely not the only one who thinks so.  If you are truly interested in learning why, I'd suggest you check out Michael Harriot's Twitter post thread about it.  And/or Franklin Leonard's.  Both of those people have infinitely more wisdom about it than I do.

Cultural Artifacts and housing them in museums is not a simple topic. In regards to Native American artifacts, many of them were stolen and placed in these museums without our consent. Lots of things in those museums are rightfully still ours and should be returned. The cultural value of these types of artifacts should outweigh the historical value. But also, these artifacts are not a picture, they're the actual thing. A picture is entirely different as that is a snapshot in time, and housing a picture of an artifact or historical moment is not the same as housing the actual artifact.

I do not think of him as being dumb or doing anything bad by taking a photograph to a movie premier. And I feel it's just more of the left spewing things that they do not understand about culture and humanity.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Harmony

« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2022, 04:36:11 PM »

Cultural Artifacts and housing them in museums is not a simple topic. In regards to Native American artifacts, many of them were stolen and placed in these museums without our consent. Lots of things in those museums are rightfully still ours and should be returned. The cultural value of these types of artifacts should outweigh the historical value. But also, these artifacts are not a picture, they're the actual thing. A picture is entirely different as that is a snapshot in time, and housing a picture of an artifact or historical moment is not the same as housing the actual artifact.

I do not think of him as being dumb or doing anything bad by taking a photograph to a movie premier. And I feel it's just more of the left spewing things that they do not understand about culture and humanity.

I agree - those artifacts should be returned.

So you are saying McFarland lied when he said he had the "original photograph from 1863"?  What 'actual artifact' are you referring to?  The photograph IS the artifact.

Are you suggesting that black people are "spewing things they do not understand about culture and humanity" when they ask questions or make objections about how their own culture is being used to sell?

You don't have any objections about how Hollywood has portrayed Native Americans in film over the decades?  I'm genuinely curious, not attempting a gotcha here.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:14 PM »
Wait, I'm confused. The producer took an old picture of the guy the movie is about to the premiere with him? Why is this a big deal?
Did I miss something?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2022, 05:19:08 PM »
I think an action of one dumb man does not encompass all white males.  Generalizing is perhaps the worst thing one can do about any race.  This goes for any race and why so many people fight between each other instead of respecting each other.  The man is an idiot to think he should show it. 

Agreed, and that is what the whole Karen thing.  I find it curious that is now acceptable to attribute negative stereotypes to white women by calling them a "Karen."  We shouldn't be doing that with any races (and we, the general we, never should have).  I suspect on some level that some minorities feel like, "Fuck it, we have been on the receiving end of racial stereotypes for centuries, so let's see how some white people like it," but denouncing racism while throwing some of your own out there is not the answer.   Look at how some are losing their minds over the Jerry Jones picture from 65 freaking years ago.  I saw that one of Terrell Owens demands of Jerry Jones was that he denounce anti-black racism.  Not racism, just anti-black racism, because white racism is all Kool and the Gang, as shown by how carelessly many throw around the Karen thing now. 

And I am obviously not suggesting that any "suffering" from the Karen connotation is even close to what blacks have dealt with over decades. It's not.  I am merely illustrating the point that it is ugly to see those complaining about racism throwing some of their own out there, even when it is generally on a pretty limited scale.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2022, 09:59:00 PM »

I agree - those artifacts should be returned.

So you are saying McFarland lied when he said he had the "original photograph from 1863"?  What 'actual artifact' are you referring to?  The photograph IS the artifact.

Are you suggesting that black people are "spewing things they do not understand about culture and humanity" when they ask questions or make objections about how their own culture is being used to sell?

You don't have any objections about how Hollywood has portrayed Native Americans in film over the decades?  I'm genuinely curious, not attempting a gotcha here.

The photograph is the the moment captured in time. It's not the artifact as in having the actual whip that was used to cause those scars. Photographs are utilized as a source of information because it shows what happened within that time. It's why I have no problem if someone were to have a photograph of what my people went through. The only closest things we have are the boarding school pictures, but most of these atrocities weren't photographed.

Let me tell you, how would one define "Black" culture? That's another issue in itself as many black people do not follow African Culture. Because these people were taken away from their African Roots, these Black Americans have formed their own "Black American Culture" and only they as "Black Americans" can determine what "Black American Culture" is. This all boils down to humans having a Cultural Identity. And it's fascinating when humans were forced from this Cultural Identity. That's the reason why African Americans feel robbed.

And no, I do not care about how we were portrayed in film because I understand the differences between what is fiction and what is reality. It's why I say and am proud that Indigenous People in America are making a name for themselves by creating their own shows and films. Reservation Dogs is a great example of this and this is closer to how Native American life is in Modern Times. I understand my Cultural Identity, and some of these Natives are also struggling with this Cultural Identity, by trying to live within two worlds, one of the Western Culture and one of their Traditional Culture.

I understand how awful things were, I know history is never pretty. I do not wish for History to be whitewashed because some people can't handle the gruesome truth.