Author Topic: The Hobby/Project thread  (Read 27092 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The Hobby/Project thread
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
Thought it would be interesting to see what people do as hobbies, or whatever side projects (i.e. non-work) people have.

I've been recently getting into Raspberry Pis and DIY electronics. My current project, which is almost guaranteed to end in failure, is an attempt to create hardware and software that balances a stick upright. I have been 3d-printing some stuff (we have a printer at work I can use), and just the process itself is so much fun. It also scratches my EE itch, which I usually never get to scratch because I just write software all day long.

Show us your hobby/project!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Hobby/Project thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
Baking.

Though when I have more free time/money, I really want to start up archery and flying small airplanes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:01:30 PM »
You'd love the store I was at yesterday, they are an electronics store (Micro Center) and sell raspberry pi's amongst other things.  I was there to buy PC parts.  That would be a hobby of mine, my PC.  Using it for gaming and video editting which has become a recent hobby of mine.  Using that to create youtube videos.

Traveling and concerts (sometimes they go together) would be another hobby

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:02:37 PM »
You'd love the store I was at yesterday, they are an electronics store (Micro Center) and sell raspberry pi's amongst other things.

That place is my second home :lol
I love MicroCenter, such a no-frills place, just rows and rows of equipment.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »
Finally a thread made for me! Here are a few I've posted over the years. I always get bored with the documentation portion of my projects, so some may have been completed in real life, but not online.

Valentines Day Gift (Still one my my favorite projects I've done): https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40358.msg1741810#msg1741810

3D printing: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49439.msg2268388#msg2268388

Hydropoincs: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46110.msg2108009#msg2108009

Potato Launcher on Steroids: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41834.msg1825242#msg1825242

Self Sustaining Ecosystem: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35603.0

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »
Hobby:  I'm a hobby board gamer.  Not crap like Milton Bradley games.  I kind of have a big collection.  I'll get a proper picture when I get my stuff out of storage.  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/mrouser

I'm starting to paint some of the pieces to my games.  I'll get some pictures up when I get some done or near done.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
Chino, that's the first I'm seeing of the woodworking; bro, that's world class.  I'm impressed, and not in a "oh, honey, look how cute that is. He's trying to work wood!" kind of way.  More in a "holy crap, why isn't he doing that for a living instead of bitching about sitting in a fucking office?" kind of way.  Or in a "Hey, I could really use a nice box to store my stuff in in my bedroom; do you think I'd have to blow him to get him to make me one?" kind of way.  ;)  :)

Seriously, that's nice work. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
Almost always go together in my case. I can see some new place anytime, so why not wait until a good band is playing.

So yeah, traveling to see shows. Sometimes shows at really cool venues. Roger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl comes to mind. Sometimes to see one-off gigs. Maiden's only NA headlining gig for the Early Days tour was a winner.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 08:06:46 PM »
Yeah, that's some damn good handiwork, Chino.

I was gonna post a picture of a 3D print I made today, but of course I designed one of the walls too thin, and it cracked while removing the support structure :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:20:36 AM »
I have too many hobbies:

- I try and practice guitar every day
- I'm a gamer so usually I'll play something on the PC, and as a side I love building PC's
- Spinning off the gaming I've been working on coding my own game (it's crap but a lot of fun)
- I go on rides on my motorcycle on the weekends. I typically ride my bike to work too if it isn't going to rain but that's more for transport than leisure.
- Building furniture. My gf wanted a farmhouse table and it's really expensive to buy one so I built it, it came out well so I built a bench and a massive shelf for the living room. I didn't draw up the plans from scratch, I just found some online.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 05:22:35 AM »
Books. I collect books. Eventually I'll have to narrow it down to specific types of books. I prefer hardcovers though a lot of the fantasy novels were never released in hardcover so I'll get the paperbacks for them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 06:13:47 AM »
Stuff I do now

1. Guitar

2. Cooking

3. Video games

4. Hiking and exploring

5. Snowboarding in the winter

6. Themeparks/water parks

7. Going to the gym

8. Watching movies

Stuff I would like to do starting this summer:

1. Get a motorcycle and ride

2. Brazilian jiu jitsu

3. Maybe a little bit of traveling. I would like to see japan, the Mediterranean and parts of Europe like Switzerland/Germany specifically the mountains.

4. Open mic for stand up comedy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 06:37:35 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 06:26:30 AM »
- Spinning off the gaming I've been working on coding my own game (it's crap but a lot of fun)

Show me your game already. Show me yours, and I'll show you mine.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »
Chino, that's the first I'm seeing of the woodworking; bro, that's world class.  I'm impressed, and not in a "oh, honey, look how cute that is. He's trying to work wood!" kind of way.  More in a "holy crap, why isn't he doing that for a living instead of bitching about sitting in a fucking office?" kind of way.  Or in a "Hey, I could really use a nice box to store my stuff in in my bedroom; do you think I'd have to blow him to get him to make me one?" kind of way.  ;)  :)

Seriously, that's nice work.

Thanks man. Much appreciated. The reason I don't do that full time is because of Ikea  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
Hobby:  I'm a hobby board gamer.  Not crap like Milton Bradley games.  I kind of have a big collection.  I'll get a proper picture when I get my stuff out of storage.  https://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/mrouser

I'm starting to paint some of the pieces to my games.  I'll get some pictures up when I get some done or near done.

Victoria and I have been playing a lot of boardgames lately. We tried dungeons and dragons three times with some hardcore people, and we just couldn't get into it. The guy whose house we played at has such a large boardgame collection, he has it insured for $10K. We're more casual. We recently bought Risk, which almost started an actual war in our house. We play Pandemic a lot as well. Firefly gets the most play though, especially with all the expansions. Opinions of the show aside, the boardgame is damn near perfect. I made some new game pieces for it on my 3D printer.

Cargo

Fuel, parts, and passengers.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 07:41:23 AM »
Almost always go together in my case. I can see some new place anytime, so why not wait until a good band is playing.

So yeah, traveling to see shows. Sometimes shows at really cool venues. Roger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl comes to mind. Sometimes to see one-off gigs. Maiden's only NA headlining gig for the Early Days tour was a winner.

I tried so hard to plan my vacation next month around at least one concert in the north west and even got the gf to agree that we could squeeze one in, sadly nothing is really happening that week out there.  Im really considering the idea of going to Vegas to catch Incubus at their one week stay at the Hard Rock, but I'm thinking that's unlikely so I'm kind of bummed about my concert traveling this year besides my trip to Boston and sneaking in the Chili Peppers during a work trip to LA.

Offline Cable

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »
I have various hobbies, but my current projects;

The main one is the audio system in my car. I added a small sub-woofer, which was a huge chore and pain with an equally detailed story. Today I will be attempting to move the sub-woofer to underneath the passenger seat. It is an all-in-one unit, so it has the amp built in. It is also small, as I didn't want the thing to draw heavily on my batteries (I have a hybrid). I also will be replacing the after market radio mounting bracket today, as the after market company now makes one that fits my year and model. The last part of the infotainment system is a rear camera. I already gave it an attempt, with no luck.

My other easier project is building a wall mounted shelving units for my media. My initial ideas were a bit more grand, but it's pretty straightforward in that I'm taking pieces of wood and screwing them in at random lengths and stuff.
---

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
Brian....how's this one doing? I've always been curious as to if it's been able to self sustain??

Self Sustaining Ecosystem: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35603.0
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

i sometimes make music

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
Brian....how's this one doing? I've always been curious as to if it's been able to self sustain??

That one was doing great until I bought my house. Unfortunately, there is no place in my house that gets enough sunlight for a long enough period of time (this was pre-indoor farm), and the plants began to die. I put it outside as a last ditch effort and an unexpected cold night froze the soil and shattered the carboy it was in :(

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »

That one was doing great until I bought my house. Unfortunately, there is no place in my house that gets enough sunlight for a long enough period of time (this was pre-indoor farm), and the plants began to die. I put it outside as a last ditch effort and an unexpected cold night froze the soil and shattered the carboy it was in :(

Aw man...that's a bummer. This is still on my 'to do' list...I think I'm going to follow your set up step by step.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »

Aw man...that's a bummer. This is still on my 'to do' list...I think I'm going to follow your set up step by step.

Nice. Pro-tip: Not sure if there are farms where you live, but I've stopped at a lot of barn/yard sales and I'm always amazed by how many people have carboys for sale. You can buy a decent new one for $35-$50, but I picked up three from this one guy for $10.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »

Nice. Pro-tip: Not sure if there are farms where you live, but I've stopped at a lot of barn/yard sales and I'm always amazed by how many people have carboys for sale. You can buy a decent new one for $35-$50, but I picked up three from this one guy for $10.

There's a local Feed Store that I buy my bird feeder seed from and he has one as decoration up above his counter behind the register. I've asked him a dozen times if he'd sell it to me. He can't recall where it exactly came from but says that it's been around his family store since he was a boy....this guy looks to be late 60's early 70's so I'm sure it's an old antique. I'll ask if I can snap a pic of it the next time I'm in there.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »

Victoria and I have been playing a lot of boardgames lately. We tried dungeons and dragons three times with some hardcore people, and we just couldn't get into it. The guy whose house we played at has such a large boardgame collection, he has it insured for $10K. We're more casual. We recently bought Risk, which almost started an actual war in our house. We play Pandemic a lot as well. Firefly gets the most play though, especially with all the expansions. Opinions of the show aside, the boardgame is damn near perfect. I made some new game pieces for it on my 3D printer.

*image snip*

Those are cool pieces.  I haven't been able to get the game to the table yet.  One of the problems with running the local gaming group is I'm the one who gets stuck teaching games most of the time, and most people aren't even interested in trying something that is going to take at least 90 minutes.  I was shocked the one time I got Power Grid on the table and got people into it.  I'd like to try Firefly some day.  I wouldn't call it a perfect game (that title is reserved for Twilight Struggle), but I've heard that Firefly is probably the best pickup and deliver game out there.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I was your SS.  If most of my shit wasn't in storage, I probably could have gotten you a more complete Cones of Dunshire.

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »
I'm too much of a dilettante to get serious about any hobbies.  At this point in my life I've noticed a pattern where I am obsessed with something for a brief period of time, varying from weeks to months, learning all I can about it, then once I reach some level of understanding I am no longer interested.  This has actually prevented me from even starting some hobbies, including RC helicopters (so far), home machine tools (lathe, milling machine, etc.), home theater, etc.  Any hobby I have devoted serious time to, I have always languished in the novice stage.  Of course the advanced stages are what draw you in; getting an instrument rating instead of just flying VFR, actually practicing several hours every day to become reasonably proficient with guitar, or enduring enough trial and error cycles to build a working wooden clock.

Radio control-  This was my first "real" hobby.  From about age 13 to 18 I enjoyed fixing and racing them, but never went off the deep end with it.

Guitar- This was in my late teen years, and I got a bass guitar to start a band with some friends.  We mashed our way through some Metallica songs, but not much beyond that.  Another friend of mine, who is a professional musician, kept me motivated and I even had him give me lessons, but I guess just didn't want it badly enough to practice.  I kept dabbling into my mid 20's, and havent really touched it in 7 or 8 years now.

Clock building- I spent about 5 months designing one with Solidworks, and a few months thereafter cutting the gears and assembling my design.  I eventually got something that ticked which was exciting, but I haven't revisited it.  Maybe I will resume this when I have the space for a workshop again.

Flying- I've always been interested in aviation, having an uncle who was in the air force talking about his flying all over the world.  I eventually decided on flying lessons and actually stuck with it to get my private pilot certificate.  Ive accumulated about 170 hours so far, but never did any of the long overnight or multi day trips I thought I would.  My longest flight is still the multi leg trip that was part of my student training.  I joined a club and thought being around other more accomplished pilots would bring me up, but that didn't happen.  It's now been about 18 months since I last flew.  Partially because my wife and I had a kid in that time, but my flying was very infrequent long before that.  Again, this is something I still have in my pocket to revisit later in life.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 10:18:46 PM »
This post will have a few pics....but wanted to share pics of this kitchen table and bench my grandfather and I built. Started in February....I was going out to his house (about 50 minutes away) once a week or so for a few hours. Had the lumber for a couple years....tops are Red Oak....aprons white oak from a tree he cut down and the legs are walnut. I bout the legs though. Anyway......

Just getting started by having to first get two planks glued and joined together....then four....then all together....

Bench Top

Tree we made the aprons out of:

Cutting the tenon joints in the legs

Did not use proper protection in first stage of sanding

Bench top again...

Table top:

This was after a few rounds of sanding and working down to the finer grain

Getting the Bench together..

Sanding down the tenon's on the aprons to fit snugly into the joints in the legs...just snug enough to when glue is added it's a great fit..

this was a 'test' fit for the frame

We added dowel holes and dowels to lock through the tenons on each side...to really lock it into place.

Just did a small chamfered edge...nothing dramatic but enough to knock down the edge

Then got to painting the base of the Bench and then the table...

We added an additional brace in the middle run of the apron just for a bit more stability. This frame is VERY sturdy.

Painted...

Then we got to the fun part of getting to the staining portion. First coat on bench...

Then the table top

So, When we got to adding the poly coat...when we applied it it actually lightened the stain a bit....which worked out I think because it brought out the wood grain even more..

And.....here it is in our kitchen pre and post table decor....

Me and my 'Papaw'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 04:50:33 AM »
That's really nice! I built a table when we first moved in but it is a lot more rough that that :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 05:45:55 AM »
Hot damn that's sweet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »
The pictures showing this being built are really awesome, and that's so cool to do this with your grandfather.  I honestly think that may be the coolest part that you guys did this together. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 07:56:35 AM »
I would really like to learn woodworking one day, though I feel like I wouldn't have any affinity or talent for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2019, 08:13:34 AM »
The pictures showing this being built are really awesome, and that's so cool to do this with your grandfather.  I honestly think that may be the coolest part that you guys did this together.

This was 'why' I did it. We had originally planned to build this 4 years ago. But my grandmother go sick with cancer and so he took care of her as she withered and passed away. Then, months later....his mom got breast cancer. She was 99 and decided not to get treatment. He took her in and cared for her in her final months. She passed away a week shy of 100. THEN....his brother who had half his lower jaw/face removed 26 years ago due to chewing tobacco took a turn for the worse as his body was just 'done' after years of only a liquid diet. His brothers wife was going to put him in a home but my Grandpa would not allow his brother to spend his last days in a home....so, he took him in as well and cared for him for his final months.

Although we had planned to build this...there was no way I was going to press the issue. So, last november-ish we spoke and decided come spring we'd get to it. I think it was good for him to have some company once a week for those few months on the heels of what he'd been through the last few years. And, especially that during all of that he had prostate cancer....an operation....and radiation treatment!! He fully recovers....then we started on this.

It was great to get this chance to spend the time with him.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »
that's so sad, but wow what a story for your Grandfather.  He looks great in the pictures too.  That's awesome

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
Gary,

I can't tell by the pictures, but did you biscuit join those planks too or is it just a glue lam?

I thought the chamfer was an nice touch as well as the dowel pinned skirts. How is the top held to the base?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »
Gary,

I can't tell by the pictures, but did you biscuit join those planks too or is it just a glue lam?

I thought the chamfer was an nice touch as well as the dowel pinned skirts. How is the top held to the base?

Yes. Planks biscuit joint and glue. We originally were going to use tenons but it was too difficult to make such large openings line up.

Top is connected to the apron with a Z bracket. When I get home tonight I’ll take a pic.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 05:23:55 PM »
How is the top held to the base?

Here are the 'Z' brackets. My grandpa says these allow for the expansion and contraction of the wood through the year....they'll just give the wood some 'slack' to move. I don't know....he knows all this stuff.  :lol   We cut some small slits on the inside of the apron to nest the bottom of the bracket then drilled small pilot holes and screwed them in to the top. There are (10) total holding the top to the base