Author Topic: Favorite Writers/Books  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Favorite Writers/Books
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
I'd want a Survivor movie before all those.

It's been 16 years since September 11. Enough time has passed...

Do you think Tender Branson dies in the plane crash or did he leave a tape recorder playing the message whilst he parachuted out ?

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 05:29:03 PM »
I'm a big Michael Crichton fan here. Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain, Timeline, Airframe, Sphere, Congo, The Great Train Robbery, Rising Sun, Prey...fantastic works

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2017, 05:32:20 PM »
Didn't he write Jurassic Park 2 quickly after the success of the 1st movie and ret conned the original book so that Goldblum could be in the movie ?

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2017, 05:46:20 PM »
Yeah, I believe he was pressured by fans to write a sequel, but that was before the movie came out. The publication of Jurassic Park was 1990, and the Jurassic Park film came out in 1993. The reason he brought back Ian Malcom from the dead in the second book was because he felt he could do more with that character than the others. Probably because he keeps telling people things are going to go bad lol

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Fun fact, around 97, both books were republished to become one story, and the title was called Jurassic World

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
The Lost World (the novel) gets flack for not being a good novel. Gotta say I disagree. I thought it was great, and it pisses me off that Spielberg hounded Crichton to write a sequel when Chrichton was dubious about it since he didn't want to be seen as a "cash-grabber", only to when Crichton did get around to starting a first draft and told Spielberg about it, he sheepishly told Crichton he'd already hired David Koepp (co-wrote the Jurassic Park screenplay with Crichton) to go  ahead and write a sequel anyway. That's why there's about 3% of the novel in The Lost World, and the other 97% is original material. And bad original material, I might add. I mean, what was the point of pigeonholing Crichton into doing something he didn't want to do, only to stab him in the back in the end?

Well, money, of course. But still, missed opportunity to make a great sequel to a great movie based on an incredible novel. Lost World wasn't all that great, Jurassic Park III was as cookie-cutter as you could get. Jurassic World was at least a decent step in the right direction.

Anyway, Crichton just posthomously released a novel called Dragon Teeth, which is about digging for dinosaur bones in the 1800s. I'm anxiously awaiting for Amazon to send it to me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 05:27:48 PM by WDADU »
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2017, 12:06:24 AM »
Dan Brown (all time-favorite)

Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time Series)
Preston & Child (Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child - Pendergast Series)
Lee Child (I love the handful of Jack Reacher books that I've read)
John Grisham
Dean Koontz
Michael Connelly (Harry Bosch/Lincoln Lawyer series)
JK Rowling / Harry Potter series

My train station has books out for commuters to take while riding the train, so I've checked out a lot of detective/thrillers by Karin Slaughter, Lisa Gardner, Stuart Woods, and other authors as well that I've enjoyed, but just don't have the time or money to really dig into.

I started the first Wheel of Time book, but it was moving slowly so I put it down to start something else. My brother told me once you get past that beginning it picks up, so I'll have to go back to it eventually.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
The Lost World (the novel) gets flack for not being a good novel. Gotta say I disagree. I thought it was great, and it pisses me off that Spielberg hounded Crichton to write a sequel when Chrichton was dubious about it since he didn't want to be seen as a "cash-grabber", only to when Crichton did get around to starting a first draft and told Spielberg about it, he sheepishly told Crichton he'd already hired David Koepp (co-wrote the Jurassic Park screenplay with Crichton) to go  ahead and write a sequel anyway. That's why there's about 3% of the novel in The Lost World, and the other 97% is original material. And bad original material, I might add. I mean, what was the point of pigeonholing Crichton into doing something he didn't want to do, only to stab him in the back in the end.

Well, money, of course. But still, missed opportunity to make a great sequel to a great movie based on an incredible novel. Lost World wasn't all that great, Jurassic Park III was as cookie-cutter as you could get. Jurassic World was at least a decet step in the right direction.

Anyway, Cricchton just posthomously released a novel called Dragon Teeth, which is about digging for dinosaur bones in the 1800s. I'm anxiously awaiting for Amazon to send it to me.

Just ordered my copy as sell!  :tup

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 01:51:36 AM »
I agree about The Lost World - I really enjoyed the book, but the movie wasn't very good. It led me on to read some of his other books, like Airframe and Rising Sun. I'll look out for Dragon Teeth..

I started the first Wheel of Time book, but it was moving slowly so I put it down to start something else. My brother told me once you get past that beginning it picks up, so I'll have to go back to it eventually.

I am a fan of the WoT books, but I have to agree that they are very slow moving, and a couple in particular are like wading through treacle. Quite a few of them follow a pattern of plodding along for 90% of the book and then the last 10% exploding into action. Still, the world building and the "magic system" (hate that expression) is very impressive.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2017, 05:24:46 AM »

I am a fan of the WoT books, but I have to agree that they are very slow moving, and a couple in particular are like wading through treacle. Quite a few of them follow a pattern of plodding along for 90% of the book and then the last 10% exploding into action. Still, the world building and the "magic system" (hate that expression) is very impressive.

I love that there is a massive world building effect going on. My two favorite series are obviously Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. As much as I love Tolkien as an author, I like what Martin created more. It's far more realistic as far as the good guy/bad guy delineation.

My brother said there are two or three books in the WoT series that are literally boring as fuck. :lol  Do you agree?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
Like to see the (little bit of) love for Dennis Lehane and Michael Connelly, particularly the former.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2017, 06:41:36 AM »
Christopher Hitchens
and Richard Dawkins

both authors should be mandatory reading in high school IMHO

Hitchens was brilliant. Whenever something major happens in politics, I always wonder what Hitch would have said.

He would probably make the same egregious and self-serving logical leaps that he made with respect to the existence of God.   Very smart?  Sure.  Very savvy?   Sure.  Intellectual genius?   I think there are other worthy candidates.    I don't really have any problem with him as required reading, but only as an example of how NOT to structure a logical argument.   It's not the atheism angle - I could honestly care less about that - it's the disingenuous way in which particularly Hitchens goes about flame-baiting those that don't see the world as he does. 

Positing religion, and the bad deeds done by mankind in it's name, as proof that there is "no God" (or, to steal the bumper sticker, that "God is not great") - is like positing that Justin Beiber, and the bad records he's foisted on the public since 2008, as proof that music isn't an art form.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2017, 06:45:42 AM »
Christopher Hitchens
and Richard Dawkins

Hitchens was brilliant. Whenever something major happens in politics, I always wonder what Hitch would have said.

He would probably make the same egregious and self-serving logical leaps that he made with respect to the existence of God.   Very smart?  Sure.  Very savvy?   Sure.  Intellectual genius?   I think there are other worthy candidates.    I don't really have any problem with him as required reading, but only as an example of how NOT to structure a logical argument.   It's not the atheism angle - I could honestly care less about that - it's the disingenuous way in which particularly Hitchens goes about flame-baiting those that don't see the world as he does. 

Positing religion, and the bad deeds done by mankind in it's name, as proof that there is "no God" (or, to steal the bumper sticker, that "God is not great") - is like positing that Justin Beiber, and the bad records he's foisted on the public since 2008, as proof that music isn't an art form.

Based on your response, I take it you haven't read any of his books. Sure he's made plenty of controversial comments, like plenty others, but until you've read his other work, especially his books regarding the founding of this country, pushing him into one corner is exceedingly inaccurate.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2017, 06:46:40 AM »
Off the top of my head:

George Orwell: Keep The Aspidistra Flying

Apostolos Doxiadis: Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture (such a beautiful and unique novel, check it out if you have any interest in mathematics)

Stephen King: It, The Stand, The Tommyknockers, 11.22.63, Christine, Different Seasons

Clive Barker: Imajica

Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov, The Idiot

Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita

Shakespeare: King Lear

Gabriel Garcia Marquez: One Hundred Years of Solitude

Dean Koontz: Watchers

John Grisham: The Firm, The Pelican Brief

Thomas Harris: Hannibal (the chapter set in Florence is some of the greatest prose I've ever read)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:32 AM »
I love that there is a massive world building effect going on. My two favorite series are obviously Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. As much as I love Tolkien as an author, I like what Martin created more. It's far more realistic as far as the good guy/bad guy delineation.

My brother said there are two or three books in the WoT series that are literally boring as fuck. :lol  Do you agree?

Yeah - Crossroads of Twilight in particular is a real struggle. Literally nothing seems to happen in that book. I've read that a lot of people gave up on the series at that point.

I feel a similar way about A Feast For Crows in GoT. There's a lot of action 'elsewhere', with new characters, when all you want to read about is what happens next with Tyrion Lannister, the Starks, and Daenerys.

I agree that one of the best things about GoT is that the characters are not 100% bad or good. Each has elements of good and evil, and is perfectly capable of either. Compare that with Sauron, who is just 100% baddie, or Gandalf, who's 100% goodie.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
Christopher Hitchens
and Richard Dawkins

Based on your response, I take it you haven't read any of his books. Sure he's made plenty of controversial comments, like plenty others, but until you've read his other work, especially his books regarding the founding of this country, pushing him into one corner is exceedingly inaccurate.

Do you honestly think I would make that statement without having read at least some of his work?  Not an amateur.  :)   

I've read the entirety of "God Is Not Great", part of "Hitch-22" (until I left the book in an airport :(), a selection of his essays, and I have watched, with great pleasure I might add, several of his debates, particularly the ones with his brother (who also shares my opinion, by the way). 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
Yeah - Crossroads of Twilight in particular is a real struggle. Literally nothing seems to happen in that book. I've read that a lot of people gave up on the series at that point.

I feel a similar way about A Feast For Crows in GoT. There's a lot of action 'elsewhere', with new characters, when all you want to read about is what happens next with Tyrion Lannister, the Starks, and Daenerys.

I agree that one of the best things about GoT is that the characters are not 100% bad or good. Each has elements of good and evil, and is perfectly capable of either. Compare that with Sauron, who is just 100% baddie, or Gandalf, who's 100% goodie.

A Feast For Crows is my least favorite of the five books. It spends a lot of time on the Greyjoys who don't really do much for me, except for Euron. The Kingsmoot seemed to last an eternity.

Do you honestly think I would make that statement without having read at least some of his work?  Not an amateur.  :)   

I've read the entirety of "God Is Not Great", part of "Hitch-22" (until I left the book in an airport :(), a selection of his essays, and I have watched, with great pleasure I might add, several of his debates, particularly the ones with his brother (who also shares my opinion, by the way). 

God Is Not Great is clearly one-sided, which is the only thing I don't like about it. He talks about all of the bad things that happened in the name of one's god but he does so as if no good has come from actions in the name of a god. I can see how that would paint him in a certain light. I don't always agree with him but his ability to recall random facts and his knowledge of history is impressive. He was in deep admiration of the government the Founding Fathers put together. He said that he considered it to be one of the greatest political achievements ever.

I don't want to turn this thread into a political/religious discussion, so I'll just stop right there. :lol

The bottom line is that I think people can learn a lot from him, but like with anything else people need to use their discretion and not fault him for whatever inaccuracies he might proselytize. He's no different, in that aspect, from any political pundit you like better than him.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2017, 08:00:13 AM »
^^^Look at my book selection(s).  I'm clearly not a fan of "political pundits" of any stripe.  :)

Though in terms of this thread, I do like the history writings of Joseph Ellis (he has done great work regarding the Founding Fathers) as well as Stephen Ambrose and Joseph Persico.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2017, 04:07:53 PM »
This probably belongs in P/R but I read online that like 2% of all wars were started over religious matters.

But long story short - It's really amusing when a militant atheist cannot see the irony in forcing his atheist views on others whilst hating when people of religion do the same.

They literally cannot see it's the same thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »
Back to books. I'd love to read more but there's so many authors that i'd have no idea what to choose.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2017, 05:30:17 PM »
Well, what tickles your fancy? Lots of authors, yes, but that also means there's plenty of great stories out there just waiting to be read.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
Just wanted to give a shout out to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in celebrating it's 20th Anniversary today!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2017, 06:19:10 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2017, 04:48:27 PM »
Ok...

Robert Silverberg (Dying Inside, The Book of Skulls, the Majipoor novels)
Ray Bradbury (Dandelion Wine)
SM Stirling (the Change novels, Conquistador)
Robert Sawyer (the Quintaglio series, Flashforward, the Neanderthal Parralax series)
Tolkien
Alan Dean Foster (pretty much everything, his books are like candy, one is never enough)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2017, 05:28:32 AM »
Ok...

Robert Silverberg (Dying Inside, The Book of Skulls, the Majipoor novels)
Ray Bradbury (Dandelion Wine)
SM Stirling (the Change novels, Conquistador)
Robert Sawyer (the Quintaglio series, Flashforward, the Neanderthal Parralax series)
Tolkien
Alan Dean Foster (pretty much everything, his books are like candy, one is never enough)

Too bad his last name isn't Pringle.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »
Almost halfway through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I think it's safe to say I'll be adding Stieg Larsson to the list, too. It gets a little exhausting sometimes with the long monologues, but I'm digging him a lot so far. A damn shame he didn't live to write all ten books he had planned for this series.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2017, 05:22:34 AM »
Almost halfway through The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I think it's safe to say I'll be adding Stieg Larsson to the list, too. It gets a little exhausting sometimes with the long monologues, but I'm digging him a lot so far. A damn shame he didn't live to write all ten books he had planned for this series.

I quite enjoyed Dragon Tattoo, but really struggled with the two Larsson sequels, the 3rd in particular is weak.  I actually think the 4th book 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' is the best since the first novel, depict not written by Larsson.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
1. Michael Crichton  .. Greatest ever still can't read the books published since his death... they are on the shelf, just not read yet...
2. Stephen King .. Shawshank, Stand by Me, and so many more....
3. Anne Rice .. Lestat, Louis and Claudia three great characters along with many more
4. James Lee Burke .. Dave Robicheaux
5. Lee Child .. Reacher
6. Harlan Coben .. Suspense, Thriller
7. Linwood Barclay .. Suspense, Thriller
8. Matthew Reilly .. Australia's Michael Crichton more action & more character development
9. Michael Connolly ..
10. Neil Gaiman ..
Dean Koontz
Dennis Lehane
Jasper Fforde
John Connolly
Mitch Albom
John Irving
Kellermans Faye & Jonathan & Jesse

so many more.... just can't think....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 05:18:27 AM »
It's impossible to remember all of them. That's a nice list you have. Nice mix. You have Mitch Albom in there with Neil Gaiman.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »
I think our reading taste can be like our music and movie/tv show taste, different times and moods call for different books.

Since I read 5 people you meet in heaven by Mitch Albom I can't get it out of my head.
Neil Gaiman I haven't read anything of his I didn't like... I recently purchased his book The view from the cheap seats.

I remembered some authors I forgot previously
John Grisham
Karin Slaughter
Jodi Picoult
Terry Pratchett .. I was collecting his discworld books when he passed, I have read all of his non fiction, but I want all the discworld series before I start .. I have about roughly 14 so far ..
I love Biographies too .. I have every edition of Lifting Shadows as well as about 30 other Biographies.. Kevin Smith, Chelsea Handler
Bill Bryson and anything travel memoir wise.

So many Books, so little time.....

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
Authors are King, Lee Child, Tom Robbins and Christopher Moore.

Favorites from those authors : The Dark Tower (except Waste Lands), Killing Floor, Villa Incognito,  Lamb.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »
I guess i should list  Rice too since i have a shelf full of her books, but her last 2 or 3 weren't very good.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2017, 12:34:05 PM »
Weis/Hickman - Dragonlance

Pretty much the major authors for me, other than the obligatory fantasy/sci-fi classics, and George R.R. Martin. I tend to gravitate to a series, rather than individual books by an author.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
There a few authors that I will read anything they publish.

Steven Brust
John Sanford - Great summertime, reading by the pool, crime stuff.
Tad Williams
Patrick Rothfuss
Henning Mankell
and lately Mark Lawrence - His latest book Red Sister is fantastic.

Books or Series that I've read multiple times and will probably read again.

Pale Blue Dot - Carl Sagan
Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (of course)
Earthsea Quartet - Ursula K Le Guin
The Belgariad - David Eddings
The Elenium - David Eddings
Song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin (even though it's not finished, of course)
Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
The "Prey" books - John Sanford
The Elric books - Michael Moorcock
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
The Vlad Taltos series - Steven Brust
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
Unweaving the Rainbow - Richard Dawkins
Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
The Missionary Position - Christopher Hitchens

Countless other books and authors that I've really enjoyed but probably wouldn't revisit.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
I guess i should list  Rice too since i have a shelf full of her books, but her last 2 or 3 weren't very good.

I list Rice for her earlier novels in the Vampire Chronicles, particular The Tale of the Bodythief ... hanging out for Universal (I think it is Universal with the rights now) to do a movie or TV Show.

I like Christopher Moore as well ... but I want to read his in order as well..  ::)

It is great reading these lists they make you remember the authors you forget are on your shelf....  :corn