Author Topic: Perfect sound of bass drum  (Read 2182 times)

Offline jaybee

Perfect sound of bass drum
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »
Hello! I have been to a few DT concerts (about ten) and I noticed that the bass drum sounds exceptionally good. Actually perfect :-) (not that other instruments do not sound perfect too..)

I wonder if it is real sound of the kick drum. I would not be surprised if that sound is digitally produced - sampled or synthesized. It is just too good to be taken by microphone. I also think that front membrane of kick drum does not move. Or I just can not see it.

Will anyone help me to resolve this mystery? Thanks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Perfect sound of bass drum
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:38:16 PM »
I would not be shocked if Mangini's kit is augmented with samples live.

Sometimes bass drums are triggered only on a gate - so that nothing bleeds through and you get the best dry signal direct to the desk.

When the percussionists in SlipKnot bang their big drums - there are no mics on them - just a trigger inside - with a sample of the same drum to avoid breaking microphones...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Mangini never uses triggers, neither live or in the studio. I think it just sounds THAT good  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 07:55:44 PM »
I don't know, I guess when I listened to this live video from this tour, it sounded triggered to me, but I could be wrong--probably am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjb6lYmmj2I
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »
Like Kotow said, I wouldn't be surprised if they blended the live mic of the kick and a sample at the FOH desk. That is more common than people think these days. Essentially the sample serves as reinforcement and provides a consistency in sound that even the best mic signal chains can't always provide.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »
Mangini never uses triggers, neither live or in the studio. I think it just sounds THAT good  :biggrin:

No trigger ≠ no samples! His snare is fake as hell on DT12, and they wanted it like that.  ???

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 12:53:42 AM »

No trigger ≠ no samples! His snare is fake as hell on DT12, and they wanted it like that.  ???

It's not fake. It was detuned.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
Poorly down tuned.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »

And heavily processed.

I also wouldn't rule out post triggering, though likely using the processed sound, as opposed to an alternative one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jaybee

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 12:37:46 PM »
I found interesting sound of bass drum at album Live Scenes From New York, song A Change of Seasons, from about 16:50 on, the video at youtube has it from 17:15 on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elk1vgRBL2o

It could be the same that DT is still using now. It could be good if anyone involved could comment :-)

Online nikatapi

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 02:34:58 AM »
From the videos i've seen from the latest tour, i don't think the bass drums are triggered, you can still hear the dynamics. MM is a hell of a consistent player anyway.

On the DT12 tour, i believe they had used triggers, the sound is so undynamic and standard.
Check this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fPY9PPB2E

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

Mangini specifically said he augmented his technique to suit the production decisions. I would be very shocked if that doesn't mean sampling, whether it's using samples from elsewhere or 'perfect' hits created from Mangini's actual recorded performance (a very common production technique now).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
If we're thinking of the same interview, Mangini's augmentation of his technique has to do with his playing of ghost notes. Since the ghost notes sound bad in the detuned snare, he transferred them to the hi-hats and rides. This led to a new technique of hi-hat playing which he's using until today (Take The Time in the I&W tour where he's playing both left and right hi-hats at the same time).

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:10 PM »
It's this one:

In Mike's defense, in the Drum magazine article he stated that he had to hit as hard as possible on everything in order for the gates to capture the notes. That tells me they heavily gated the drums. For anyone who doesn't know sound engineering, they open and close when a note is hit in order to keep any unwanted background noise out. I wonder if they did this because they were writing and tracking simultaneously all in the room. You can tell the toms and snare were heavily gated. The issue with gating is if you don't hit everything very loud, the note may be completely lost since the gate would not open thinking it was background bleed verus an intentional hit.
I don't think it is posted online but it is the 2013 Drum! issue with Mangini on the cover. Yes they even captured some fills/parts that ended up on the final album from while they were all playing together. Funny thing about DT12 though is there aren't a whole lot of dynamic parts in the songs during sections with drums. Almost every part that has drums is very big sounding and in your face.

which, indeed, is not available to read on the interblag (that I can find). You can buy it on the Drum! store, but I was kinda hoping someone around here who loves Mangini with all their heart and soul would perhaps have the issue and be able to quote directly his words on the subject. I'm certainly very interested in what was really said, rather than the second hand information (that is hopefully accurate).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 06:42:29 PM »
Oh, ok. When you said augmentation, I thought you meant addition. Sorry. :lol

Anyway, he did say that hitting the drums hard at the same velocity. I will find that interview.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
These debates fascinate me. I know literally nothing about anything relating to music recording and production - is there a good resource or explanation available anywhere where a complete noob could go to understand what a normal drum, a triggered drum or a sampled drum sound like and how it all works?

Thanks. Sorry to derail. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:17:52 PM »
A drum trigger is placed on the drum head which plays an electronic drum sound when you hit the skin.

It's normally used to make bass drums sound perfect at concerts - or to have 2 identical kick drum sounds when you have 2 bass drums.

Same for toms and snare. If you blend the live snare with the electronic snare - it can sound more consistent and easier to mix.

Plus with gating and compression - you can get live drums ( and in the studio ) to sound massive.

The trouble is when all metal bands use the same sounds and you hear the exact same drum sounds on every album.

Mastodon's drum sound is a lot more organic.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 08:35:49 AM »
It's this one:

In Mike's defense, in the Drum magazine article he stated that he had to hit as hard as possible on everything in order for the gates to capture the notes. That tells me they heavily gated the drums. For anyone who doesn't know sound engineering, they open and close when a note is hit in order to keep any unwanted background noise out. I wonder if they did this because they were writing and tracking simultaneously all in the room. You can tell the toms and snare were heavily gated. The issue with gating is if you don't hit everything very loud, the note may be completely lost since the gate would not open thinking it was background bleed verus an intentional hit.
I don't think it is posted online but it is the 2013 Drum! issue with Mangini on the cover. Yes they even captured some fills/parts that ended up on the final album from while they were all playing together. Funny thing about DT12 though is there aren't a whole lot of dynamic parts in the songs during sections with drums. Almost every part that has drums is very big sounding and in your face.

which, indeed, is not available to read on the interblag (that I can find). You can buy it on the Drum! store, but I was kinda hoping someone around here who loves Mangini with all their heart and soul would perhaps have the issue and be able to quote directly his words on the subject. I'm certainly very interested in what was really said, rather than the second hand information (that is hopefully accurate).

I'm not calling that guy wrong, because (1) I don't know him and don't know where he got his information; and (2) I obviously have not been present when DT has been recording.  But that said, I think he is off base.  Based on how I understand noise gates and how they work, his explanation doesn't make sense.  When you gate drums, think of it as a physical gate that opens and closes to let sound into the microphone.  When the gate is open, sound comes in.  When it is closed, sound does not.  When the drum or cymbal is hit, the gate opens and closes quickly, letting in the sound of the initial drum hit, and closing so that you do not get the reverberation and decay, which makes the hits sound relatively identical.  But the gate can't pick and choose what sound it lets in.  It merely opens and closes.  Now, you might have the microphone sensitivity set really low so that it picks up a minimum of background noise.  And you might have the gate sensitivity similarly set so that only a drum hit, and not background noise, opens the gate.  But still, when the gate is open, it is open, and the mic will pick up whatever it picks up.  Whatever the mic picks up when the gate is open is a function of the mic sensitivity, not the gating. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »
It's this one:

I'm not calling that guy wrong, because (1) I don't know him and don't know where he got his information; and (2) I obviously have not been present when DT has been recording.  But that said, I think he is off base.  Based on how I understand noise gates and how they work, his explanation doesn't make sense.  When you gate drums, think of it as a physical gate that opens and closes to let sound into the microphone.  When the gate is open, sound comes in.  When it is closed, sound does not.  When the drum or cymbal is hit, the gate opens and closes quickly, letting in the sound of the initial drum hit, and closing so that you do not get the reverberation and decay, which makes the hits sound relatively identical.  But the gate can't pick and choose what sound it lets in.  It merely opens and closes.  Now, you might have the microphone sensitivity set really low so that it picks up a minimum of background noise.  And you might have the gate sensitivity similarly set so that only a drum hit, and not background noise, opens the gate.  But still, when the gate is open, it is open, and the mic will pick up whatever it picks up.  Whatever the mic picks up when the gate is open is a function of the mic sensitivity, not the gating.

Mic sensitivity is mic sensitivity. You set the input level and that's that. It isn't a variable adjustment sort of thing. Only the threshold (sensitivity) of the gate is movable (and the player's velocity choice). Mic level can be adjusted afterward, of course, which is why compressors exist, and fader automation, and all that.

The whole point here is that Mangini purposely didn't play ghost notes on the snare because they wouldn't get through the gate. And whether the hard snare hits were sample replaced (my original post in this thread) or not, at the bare minimum he certainly attempted to make it sound that way because of the gating decision, and it's part of why his drum sound on DT12 is awful and unnatural. Samples or not, his kit sounds remarkably similar velocitywise to the triggered I&W drums.

So given this whole thing, I have no idea why ghost notes suddenly appear in Behind the Veil, though. Clearly they either decided one groove was allowed ghost notes on the snare or someone somewhere has confused the gate discussion with the moving-of-ghost-notes-to-other-kit-pieces discussion. This is primarily why I hoped someone had access to this elusive article and we could therefore see what Mangini actually said about it.