Author Topic: These Walls Appreciation Thread  (Read 3529 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
These Walls Appreciation Thread
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:51 AM »
The other day, These Walls came up on a playlist, and I was floored by how awesome of a song it is. It's one of those tracks that I don't listen to often as it's not a "classic", so to speak, so it always sounds fresh. It's also one of the few Dream Theater songs that most of the people I've played it for have really enjoyed, so I think it's got some mass appeal to it as well.

Let's take a moment to appreciate this very underrated song! :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online mikeyd23

Re: These Walls Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »
Great song, easily one of my favorites from 8V.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
Tear down these walls for meeeeeeeeeeee

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 11:43:28 AM »

This.

I like the restraint about the song: no long solos, no flashy stuff, no proggy detours, just their songwriting skills at service of a concise song with a great and emotional chorus. One of their very best "easy" songs.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
Probably in my top 5 DT songs. I love the Gilmouresque solo. I wish Petrucci played more solos in this vein where less notes is more. But overall, the lyrics, the music, make it a great song.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:20:55 PM »
Really nice wide production too.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:22:27 PM »
Good song.

Really good song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:44:42 PM »

Indeed.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Always liked it.  Been a while.  See what you made me do?  Had to go listen to it.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 04:02:40 PM »
I loved that they pulled the song out on the ADTOE tour.  Never really appreciated it before.  Great live tune. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
The coda with the orchestra hits is GOLD.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
One of the best from 8vm. It's so underrated.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
Probably in my top 5 DT songs. I love the Gilmouresque solo. I wish Petrucci played more solos in this vein where less notes is more.

Like The Bigger Picture.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 02:35:46 AM »
One of my favorite songs from DT. Rudess and Portnoy really do some great stuff there.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:55:36 AM »
I loved playing that song live. The main riff was simple but so enjoyable to play.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:19 AM »
One of my fav. Love the live version.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline JaceTestify

• ΦΦ
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 01:17:53 PM »
Song that got me into drumming...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
It could be a top 10 DT song for me, love it, perfect.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:00 AM »
Agreed, it really is a great song. What's really great is even though it's simple and restrained, there's still a lot of little details to listen to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 09:42:57 AM »
Aside from the title track of Octavarium, which I still feel is the band's best song, this is the only other song from the album I'd rate as truly excellent. It had both immediate grab and staying power. And while the other tracks from the album always had at least one or two nagging problems I've never felt anything negative about this track.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:54 AM »
I loved playing that song live. The main riff was simple but so enjoyable to play.

How did you guys play it?  Did you have a baritone guitar, or did you just have one that was de-tuned, or what?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2017, 08:41:59 AM »

How did you guys play it?  Did you have a baritone guitar, or did you just have one that was de-tuned, or what?

He simply looks at his guitar and says "I am Rumborak. You will bow to my wishes" and the guitar generally takes care of the rest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 08:50:00 AM »
Makes sense.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:21 AM »
Makes sense.

Which explains how he can play songs in drop D, standard C and 7 string stuff on a 6 string Petrucci (without tuning it) which, when he bought it, was just a squire strat.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
Axe-FX (my effects unit) to the rescue on that one actually. I seriously used the detune functionality, playing the whole tune downtuned. You have to be a bit more precise than usual to make it not become mush, but luckily that wasn't too bad for These Walls.

Same thing for SOC btw, which I also played detuned, by a half step.

Offline JLa

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
Always loved this song, instant favourite when Octavarium was released. Had to go listen to it again now - flawless as always. :) MP's drumming is magnificent on this, but all band members shine, really. They even found room for a guitar solo, who would have guessed that?!  :lol

Octavarium was the last DT album I truly loved. These Walls played a strong part in that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
Axe-FX (my effects unit) to the rescue on that one actually. I seriously used the detune functionality, playing the whole tune downtuned. You have to be a bit more precise than usual to make it not become mush, but luckily that wasn't too bad for These Walls.

Same thing for SOC btw, which I also played detuned, by a half step.
Oh, okay.  I have often wondered why, for practical reasons, guitar players don't do that more often.  I mean, it seems to me that the technology is there for it to make sense.  But hardly anyone uses that approach.  But not being much of a guitar player myself (and not being up on gear, beyond guitar, amp, and simple effects), I don't know what the limitations are.  Pretty cool that that's how you did it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2017, 01:40:32 AM »
Honestly, I think it's a combination of misplaced pride ("I won't pollute my signal path with this digital trickery!") and ineptitude with their own equipment. I always got a kick out of the disappointment in guitarist's eyes when they asked me after a gig about my equipment (because they liked the guitar sound), only to be told that it was 100% digital :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »
JP's guitar sound is so processed that a digital signal doesn't really make a difference IMO.

I play songs like These Walls on a 7 string tuned down. Makes way more sense to put it down a whole step than to have a regular guitar modified IMO.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
I need Google Translate's Guitar to English function just to get through this damn page.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JaceTestify

• ΦΦ
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2017, 02:25:59 PM »
Always loved this song, instant favourite when Octavarium was released. Had to go listen to it again now - flawless as always. :) MP's drumming is magnificent on this, but all band members shine, really. They even found room for a guitar solo, who would have guessed that?!  :lol

Octavarium was the last DT album I truly loved. These Walls played a strong part in that.

Agreed :)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 05:05:03 AM »
Here's a piano version I made couple of years ago, still one of my favorite songs from Octavarium and top10 song from the whole catalog :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWzSomkHgM
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2017, 05:13:23 AM »
That's quite good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:20 AM »
I think this is my favourite song off Octavarium. Heavy, melodic, no flashy unisons, etc. Just a straight-up rock song. And Portnoy shines all throughout. One of Mike's best performances, in my opinion.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline pcs90

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
Here's a piano version I made couple of years ago, still one of my favorite songs from Octavarium and top10 song from the whole catalog :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHWzSomkHgM
Would love to have a MIDI file of the piano to sequence it with nicer sounds and maybe make a full piano arrangement...with this slower style I think it could work really well.