Author Topic: What First Got You Into DT/First Time You Heard DT  (Read 4476 times)

Offline JaceTestify

• ΦΦ
What First Got You Into DT/First Time You Heard DT
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
Thought this might be a little interesting...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: What First Got You Into DT/First Time You Heard DT
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:42 AM »
I first heard Pull Me Under on German MTV, and quite liked it, partially because I was a big Genesis fan, and it struck me as a heavy version of Genesis.
Totally forgot about it though, never followed up. Years later I had an EE study group, and the guy whose house it was was a huge DT fan. He would put it on every single time we studied, and I really didn't like the vocals. However, the music I really liked, so I just sucked it up and listened to it anyway. Later I got used to the vocals.

EDIT: Bizarre twist in the story, the guy who was a huge DT fan later switched straight from DT to Backstreet Boys. I kid you not.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:47:18 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline V_R11

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
Well...

7th grade spring semester. 2011.
Basically at our middle school if music was a thing you chose to do, each year you were also supposed to perform. And I had this friend who told me about a song she was gonna do for the performance with bunch of other kids and asked me if I wanted to hear it. This song was Through Her Eyes. She did warn me that DT was not about ballads but rather a progressive metal band. She played me a few other songs too and I thought they sounded great and that’s where it all began. My first truly progressive favorite was Endless Sacrifice

I fell in love with the band slowly over the course of next four years. In  2014 I found SDOIT and JP's solos on that album inspired me to get an electric guitar myself. A year after that, having kept DT in the back burner for a while, I was home alone and working on something. I decided to put on background music and put Dream Theater on suffle from Spotify. Spotify played me Octavarium. And man. This is where my true obsession started. It just really clicked. 17-year-old me finally understood this music and was blown away by the fact that someone could even write stuff like this. I checked tour dates immediately and found out they had a show in Finland in less than a month. 02.08.2015 was my first live show. That summer I also finally went through all of their studio albums systematically.

It’s been 6+ years. I have seen the guys live twice and met them all. I’ve gotten to shake Mr. Petrucci’s hand, tell him he’s my hero and inspiration and thank him for all the music. Although it has always been and always will be more than just music.
Seasons change and so can I

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Panic Attack. Rock Band 2. 2008. It was a life changing moment for me.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline dparrott

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 07:52:28 PM »
Never really noticed prog until PMU came out, and I was very impressed.  But I was surprised when I got the album and heard Another Day and was like  ???  Had to get used to that kind of variety.  They're still my favorite prog band, and one of my favorite bands from any genre.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
Heard Pull Me Under on the radio and thought it was great. With JLB's voice and Kevin Moore's keys, I thought they sounded like a more rocking and ballsier Europe (who was my favorite of the hair metal bands in the latter 80s).

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
Heard PMU on the radio when I was at high school. The intro got me but I was like "when the singing parts start, come on?!(After years I realized I listened long version, not radio edit). James LaBrie came in and my love started.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »
I'm ancient enough to have lived in the cassette tapes era, so DT songs were leftovers used to fill up space that my cousin would sneak there at the end of the album the cassette was actually intended for.

I was quite unimpressed and indifferent to all of it (I remember considering Hollow Years and Anna Lee decent ballads but that's it) until finally, after at least 4 months or so, I realized that The Mirror was actually a good song.

That started the avalanche effect that made me appreciate the band, become a fan, and walk that autumn (1999) in a store without knowing anything about the new album aside from the fact that it was coming out (I still didn't have proper internet access at the time) and find out only then and there, in the store, and not a second later, that it was Metropolis pt. 2  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »
In 1992, a friend of mine loaned me a cassette of I&W.  The rest is history.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline BeardedGentlemanHistorian

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
I discovered the band fairly recently, in February 2016. My music collection was becoming stagnant and I discovered Octavarium (the song) by chance. I liked it immediately.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
Always just PMU and I knew a bit else of I&W. Then a friend told me about "the guy who replaced portnoy" and his doc "a drummers dream". That led me to watching the auditions. And i then discovered those 3 songs (mainly ANTR) so I listened to BCSL, and then I was off and running.

Also, the first 2 I really listened to were BC and SC, and I think the they were awesome. And I've since discovered every album and most are way better than those original 2 I discovered.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
Discovered them in the suggested bands feature of an old streaming service back in 2007, listening to Led Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand. The site suggested the  ACOS LZ's medley. Secondly I listened to the Big Medley, Forsaken, Another Day and ACOS after that. Instant love.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 10:29:49 AM »
Heard them a little bit through the latter part of the 90s and wasn't impressed.  I listened to much heavier music then so it just wasn't my thing although I had heard most of their lighter stuff.  Had I heard The Mirror or the like maybe I would have gotten into them. 

Later I got a new job and was talking to a coworker who was a big Dream Theater fan but not so much a music fan.  I brought up Dream Theater hoping it would find common ground into other stuff we had in common.  It turns out the fact that I listened to Dream Theater, like, three times was literally the only thing we had in common although he was/is a pretty cool guy.  He said, "Hey were going to go see them next month, wanna come?"  So I said sure.  Listened to them a bit to prepare.  This was the SFAM tour.  I dug it a lot more than before but was still outside the realm of what I was into. 

Went to the concert and was blown away by the first 15-20 minutes of the show.  Then was bored to tears for the remain 2+ hours.  Still impressive but I didn't know any of their material and was hoping for more heavy stuff. 

Still, I bought SFAM when we got back.  Would listen to the first few tracks and shut it off.  I maintained a moderate interest in them.  Bought a few of their other albums and slowly began to become a fan.  Finally decided to see them again on their Train of Thought tour after picking up that release, I really became a pretty big fan.  Finally, with Octavarium, I started buying their albums as they were released and was really blown away by 8V.  Finally, as of 2005 I was a hardcore fan as opposed to the previous 5 years that I was a very casual fan and the 5 years before that that I was not impressed with the two songs I heard.  Fun fact: One of the songs I heard in the 90s that I didn't like was Funeral for a Friend.  Still don't like it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 06:38:36 PM »
Where's Jay Octavarium to tell my story?    :biggrin:

Since he hasn't posted it, I guess I will.  :P  Back in the late '80s I used to read a few different metal magazines regularly, and RIP! magazine reviewed When Dream and Day Unite. The review more or less ripped the album apart, but what grabbed my attention was the comment that there was a heavy Rush influence. Being that Rush was my favorite band at the time, this made me sit up and take notice. A month or so later, I managed to find a copy and that was my intro to DT. Funny thing is, when IaW *finally* came out 3 years later (an eternity back then), I initially had a hard time getting used to their "new" sound - that's how ingrained WDADU was in my mind.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 07:11:30 PM »
Every time this thread is started, I regret not having my post saved on a document somewhere!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JaceTestify

• ΦΦ
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 01:26:06 PM »
Well for me personally it was Train of Thought... Especially Honor Thy Father. It was so heavy so powerful, and the drumming was just unbelievable. 
The first time I heard it was when my Dad, (of whom is an avid Rush fan. Like for him no band is ever as good as Rush) showed me this band that was almost as good as Rush... We were in a 1993 Ford F-150m and the song was Take the Time. I could not believe what I heard.
I over played Dream Theater so much, my Dad, even today, can barely stand it.   :metal

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
I started getting into metal in the mid-late 1980s. Queensryche, Fifth Angel, Whitesnake, the hair metal bands, etc.

But starting in 1990, we lost cable, and no MTV, and I honestly didn't watch much when we got it back in 1994, as I was busy. Still a huge music fan, but missed out on a ton of stuff that wasn't continually on the radio. So for me, Dream Theater started when a friend of mine put in a CD of "A Change of Seasons" in 1996 on his car stereo. I was BLOWN away, and immediately went out and got Awake and Images and Words. And in 1997, I was a release day buyer of FII.

I never recalled seeing the videos for DT until AFTER this, ironically. The first time I recall hearing DT on the radio was "You Not Me." But my DT fandom started in 1996 with ACOS.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline dodido253

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
This innocent youtube video changed my life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuCf6ZWkYcE

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
The complete non-radioness of it. Up until that point, fifteen year old me had never heard anything but radio music and the deep Beatles tracks that the radio doesn't play. I had just started playing bass like three days prior and some new friends at school recommended I listen to Metropolis. It completely blew me away, and the bass solo made me question if I even wanted to bother learning the instrument. I went and saw them that night having only heard that one song. Been here every since.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
I had a college roommate that was an exchange student from Mexico City (living in Illinois for that semester) that made me listen to the live version of Peruvian Skies.  He knew I was a metalhead and wanted me to hear how they jammed on the Enter Sandman riff during the song to try to get me into the band.  I thought it was cool and remember the name - Dream Theater.

Went to a used CD store near campus sometime after that and found Images & Words and then Awake.  I was hooked, and those remain my favorite DT albums to this day.

Offline JLa

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
First time I heard DT:
Borrowed Once in a Livetime from a friend. Me: "Music is allright, a bit weird keyboard sound, but ohmygod I can't stand those vocals!"

LTE won me over. "When the water breaks".  :heart I bought their two albums first and then started digging into the DT catalogue. It took a while to get into them, I remember downloading instrumental MIDI files and rocking along!  :lol

I have lost some of the interest nowadays, though. I still visit the forums and I will always buy new records from them, but I haven't really been a fan-fan since the Octavarium days.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
Visiting my cousin, who plays guitar incredibly well. I was about twelve, very much into metal/hard rock, as he and my brother introduced me to Metallica, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, etc. He plays a song, twelve-year-old me is astonished he can play so fucking fast. He says, "Here, check this out." Puts on a CD with a bunch of pictures that make up a dude's face on the cover. This song starts out kinda slow, an is kinda boring. I state as such. He puts on a shit-eating grin and says, "Just wait."

I was hooked from the first WOMP-WOMP! of "Home". I bought Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence as soon as it came out.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Sometime in 2008, I chanced across the song Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and was amazed that a band could write a 42-minute song (at that point, the only epics I was familiar with were those by Pink Floyd, Echoes, SOYCD, etc.). I half-listened to parts of it, not fully paying attention because it didn't click with me at that time. Fast forward a couple of months, then I chanced across Octavarium, and it hooked me immediately, and I didn't look back after that. In fact, that moment has led me onto every other modern prog band I have discovered and enjoyed in the near-decade since.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
Apologies to those who have read this one of the last dozen or so times I've posted it.

"The Spirit Of Rush Fanzine Number 8 which I bought in New York City about August 1989. On the back inside cover was a Dream Theater feature and When Dream and Day Unite album review that was reprinted from an issue of Kerrang (Never found out what issue it was)

There weren't too many recent bands recording music that I liked in the late 80s save for maybe Kings X, Queensryche, Faith No More and Living Colour.

The feature and review mentioned influences such as Rush, The Dixie Dregs, Kansas, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and at that time it didn't seem like anyone new was recording music with those influences so I was easily suckered in.

I couldn't find the CD anywhere and was forced to spend $17 at a mall chain store for it. I listened to it constantly for about 3 solid months until Presto came out. I never heard another word about them until I stumbled on their mispelled name on the marquee at the Ritz November 14, 1989 opening for the Hogarth-fronted Marillion's debut in New York City.

Yes, I was lucky.

Never heard a word about them again until I found a promo copy of Images and Words for $5 at a spring 1992 record show. It took me a while to get used to James' voice since I'd been listening to Charlie for about 3 years, but I got used to it. James has improved SO much since then.

Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan."

First CD 1989: When Dream And Day Unite
First Cassette 1992: When Dream and Day Unite promo
First Vinyl 1990: When Dream and Day Unite
First CD single 1990: Afterlife promo
First Cassette single 1992: Another Day
First Video 1993: Live At The Marquee
First DVD 2001: Metropolis 2000 Scenes From New York
First Concert: 11/14/89 Dream Theater opens for Marillion at the old Ritz in New York City

Offline Nomaniac

• Long Live Dream Theater!!!
  • Dream Theater Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
To make a long story short, the first time I heard any Dream Theater song whatsoever was in 2012. So, yeah, I guess I'm a relative newbie.  :lol

Basically, up until that point, I was just a casual music fan - you know, just enjoyed what was "in" when I was going to school. But when I was 14, I happened upon my dad's old prog rock collection (you know, like Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, etc...) and I was just so amazed with that type of music, I wanted to find more recent examples. So I did a google search, and up came the whole Octavarium epic. Couldn't really get into at the time for some reason, so I stopped listening for a while. Then, tried again - listened to Metropolis Pt. 1 a few times, first time it was a little "weird" for me, second time I started to dig it, and third time I just fell in love with DT. Now I just about love every song they make, and can't get enough of the band!

Great question by the way!  :)
"Through Nature's Inflexible Grace, I'm Learning To Live"

Offline mormo

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
My first experience with DT was when a friend of mine gave me a copy of Awake. Think it was in ‘95.
Got blown away by 6:00. From then on, major fan.

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »
I know I've mentioned this before . . . .

One of my best friends was a student of John Petrucci.   I'm sure he played me DT plenty of times during the WDADU years, but the first I remember is driving to a Knicks game and he played "Learning to Live."     I told him it sounded like STYX!!!

Seen them about 20 times since then but not since 1999.  I am going in three weeks to the Paramount!

The first show I saw them was at a dump called Sparks.    Fun times!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline don_waka

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 02:57:55 PM »
My older brother had a friend whose cousin would travel a lot to the US, and he would always bring new music with him (I'm talking about cassettes, by the way, circa 1994). So once he brought this funny looking, strange but very attractive one with someone like a greek guy on the cover, a big mirror, and a clock-shaped moon. My brother started listening to it (I was 9, he was 13) and I think something happened in my brain and I was unable to stop listening to it. He did a copy of it for me, and I would take it to school on my personal stereo to share it with my mates, but they were into really shitty music so it never caught up. My 2 favorites songs by then were 6 o' Clock and, by far, WAY FAR, Caught in a Web.

My brother's friend's cousin would bring Images and Words afterwards, and then my brother got Falling into Infinity for Christmas 97 on CD, and I got A Change of Seasons on a cassette. I was so thrilled, I remember that moment as it'd been yesterday.

Then, by 1999, I'd saved some money as I was looking forward to a new album (unfortunately it was very difficult to know when they would launch another one since we didn't have access to Internet back then, and it wasn't really popular around). I went with a friend of mine to a music store called BlackBox and I found a lot of music, but no DT. I asked they guy in charge, and he said the new album was coming in a few weeks. So I waited and eventually bought my first DT CD: SFAM. I can't recall if it was later that same year or the next when I bought the Live Scenes in New York VHS (it must have been in 2001, duh), to which I created a topic a few months ago as I still have it  :metal

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=47499.msg2175174#msg2175174

Then, in 2005, DT finally came to Chile, South America, in the Octavarium Tour, and I was able to see them live for the first time. I was 20 years old, and I went with my brother, his friend and cousin, and a friend of mine. I remember the band was really excited as it was the first time they were in Chile, and the audience was something over 20.000  :o That was a damn good show.

I actually remember someone jumped over the stage at the beginning of Under a Glass Moon, and LaBrie went "this guy's excited here"  :lol

This is the exact part:

https://youtu.be/M81CHCBcwqs?t=1276  :rollin

Anyways, that's pretty much how I got into DT 23 years ago.  :loser:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:46:04 PM by don_waka »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 04:21:07 PM »
I discovered DT in 2006 through Symphony X's Through the Looking Glass. A reviewer on Amazon pointed out the similarities with Surrounded's intro. I'm pretty sure I first heard DT on the radio in a Gigatour ad, but didn't think much of it enough to remember. I remember the commercial, but not sure if Dream Theater was featured in it. I had Surrounded on a mix CD and it took some time to grow on me. I bought a used copy of Live at Budokan because that's what the CD shop owner recommended, but it just didn't click. The Test that Stumped them All was the only song that grabbed me, but it wasn't enough. I ended up returning it. I continued listening to Surrounded but held off on pursuing the band further. I would eventually try again of course, and downloaded all their albums.

Images and Words was the first album I listened to since Surrounded was one of the songs on it. The torrent I used came with a disclaimer: first track corrupted. Being the DT noob that I was, I faded out the ending to Pull Me Under. It wasn't until I discovered this forum in September of 06 that I learned why PMU stops suddenly. I slowly made my way through their albums, not in order, but I believe Scenes was next, and that's the first album of theirs I bought. I got IaW for Christmas. 6DOIT disc 2 clicked before disc 1, and Octavarium took a long time to click. I couldn't even finish it on first listen I was so bored. I did like the title track though. I really liked long songs then, and still do, but I had an mp3 CD with tons of really long songs. It was called Epics and Trilogies. I eventually bought all their albums and the rest is history.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
1992. I heard Pull me Under and saw a brief interview on headbangers ball and I was hooked!

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:52 AM »
In 1995 my cousins who is teaching me guitars showed me John Petruccis rock discipline VHS and they made me listen to the Images and Words album.

I was hook immdiately with Take the Time and Metropollis I became a big fan by the year 2000s

And she listens openly

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
Back in 09, a friend of mine from a Pokemon forum commented that he was listening to the Overture to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence in a "What Are You Listening To" thread and said that it sounded like video game music. I was intrigued, so I gave it a listen. I was so totally blown away that I immediately listened to the entire song. It had literally sounded like nothing I had ever heard before (my musical taste at the time was basically alternative rock/grunge, j-rock, video game music, and some symphonic metal) and the complexity of the music was what drew me in right away. I then slowly checked out the rest of the albums (starting with Black Clouds & Silver Linings since that just came out) and here I am now.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2017, 01:40:37 PM »
2004 I believe... was completely oblivious to what 'prog' stuff even was and was just looking for new rock bands to check out. A buddy suggested Dream Theater and - this was back when AIM was still a go-to method of communication - he sent me over A Change of Seasons. To say that was lifechanging is an understatement - never had I heard of this band, never had I heard a song that long (longest I knew was Maiden's Ancient Mariner which I thought was the greatest song ever written at the time), never had I heard such a perfect blend of melody, aggression, and intellectual lyrics in a band. And the tiny little guitar licks, fills, little moments here and there that gave me chills, every single band member was on fire and it blew my mind. I must've listened to that song for 6 months before I felt burnt out and in need of more stuff from the band.

I think I heard I&W sometime later that year and I've been obsessed since.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »
From 1986 to 1995 in Southern California, we had a radio station called KNAC that played a lot of hard rock and metal.  Sometime after I&W was released, I heard Pull Me Under on KNAC.  I then bought I&W and was hooked.  I first saw DT at a little hole-in-the-wall club in Westminster, CA called The Marquee (which is now a "gentlemen's club") on November 12, 1992.  I then saw them at the Rhythm Cafe in San Diego (which was across the street from a strip club) on November 23, 1992.  In between those two dates, the band played its first Japanese shows.  About a dozen or so people in the audience hung out for about an hour after the show talking with everyone from DT (except Kevin Moore, who never came off the tour bus).

The preface to all this is that I had heard of DT several years earlier.  Sometime probably in the spring of 1989, when Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime was at the height of its popularity, I saw something on MTV (I think) where someone was talking about "other bands you might like if you like Queensryche."  They mentioned Dream Theater, Fates Warning and Crimson Glory.  I immediately went looking for albums by these bands.  I found FW's No Exit and was hooked immediately.  I could never find anything by DT, although I looked a few times over the next year or so, eventually forgetting about the band until I heard PMU.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 04:00:16 PM »
Anyway, I'll leave you with this amusing quote (I'm not sure who is responsible for it but I think it was the editor) regarding When Dream And Day Unite from The Spirit Of Rush Number 9 (Fall 1989)

"The aforementioned opener (A Fortune In Lies) sums up the album completely--a dense hard rockers paradise with more time changes than the entire Rush and Yes back catalogs put together. A drummer who puts Neil Peart to shame, a vocalist fully capable of holding his own and a sound so full that it actually takes 20 plays to hear everything that's going on in the mix, and all this perfectly crafted and laid down on tape in just four weeks.
Quite frankly, this album rubbishes at least three Rush albums, and the entire Yes series, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery being the only album I can think of in the same league. I never thought it would happen, but this album makes something like Signals sound resolutely boring; I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying so, but I have to be honest...
If Geddy, Neil and Alex have heard this album, then they probably reacted in one of two ways--become blubbering nervous wrecks, in the knowledge they have some serious young competition, or (hopefully) they have pulled out their fingers in order to show that they can indeed rise to the occasion. This album will either bring out the best in our friends or finish them off..."

That quote was what sold me being a Rush fan."

That's hilarious!  If whoever wrote that felt that way about WDADU, he must have spontaneously combusted upon hearing I&W, SFAM, etc.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung