Author Topic: Refurbished TV?q  (Read 851 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Refurbished TV?q
« on: May 15, 2017, 12:20:36 PM »
Generally I stay away from refurbished electronics.   But I ran across a deal on a refurbished Ultra HD 4K, 70" TV that seems, well, I won't say "too good to be true", since if it seems that it usually is.  I'd rather say "so good it seems like little risk".   

Any thoughts? 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Refurbished TV?q
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:27:09 PM »
I'd say go for it as long as you see no dead pixels on the display. If a TV needs refurbishing, it's usually due to a defective electronics board or a blown capacitor for the screen. Replacing either is not labor intensive or complex in any way. Whoever refurbished it was probably in and out in about 20 minutes. I'd say go for it. What kind of savings are you getting?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
I'd say go for it as long as you see no dead pixels on the display. If a TV needs refurbishing, it's usually due to a defective electronics board or a blown capacitor for the screen. Replacing either is not labor intensive or complex in any way. Whoever refurbished it was probably in and out in about 20 minutes. I'd say go for it. What kind of savings are you getting?

A TV that lists for $1200 - $1400 plus/minus for about $500.  Name brand, too. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 12:39:51 PM »

A TV that lists for $1200 - $1400 plus/minus for about $500.  Name brand, too.

I'd take the chance.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:19:15 PM »
I'd want to know what the warranty options are. You won't get the full factory warranty, but I'd want more than 30 days or something. Maybe spend a chunk of the savings on one of those awful protection plans, or see what the fine folks at Citi will offer by using their card.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
I'd get it if you like the TV overall, 500 off for refurbished is a really good chunk off the price.  TVs now a days get out dated quickly too that I don't see it as the type of purchase you need/or even want to have functioning for 20+ years.